Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Wife wants one. 2018 or newer. Any of you guys have any experience with these?

She's got some peripheral vision issues and wants the Premium version with the EyeSight Saftey Pkg which includes Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

I've never owned a Subaru, so just trying to get some opinions from those who know more than me about these Crosstreks.

Thanks guys,
Fenton

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's Subarus everywhere in my family (brother's wife has a Crosstrek, sister has an Outback, niece has an Outback and we had an Outback as well until a few months ago). The Subaru drivers assist package is not the best out there. I am not a fan of drivers' assists and turn them off whenever I have to drive a car with them, and the Subaru system is very imprecise. It tends to pingpong between the lines on the freeway and the automatic braking system is outright dangerous, as it will sometimes react to things that pose no risk, like a branch on the ground behind it when you are in reverse.

Subarus are good for some things, but if the purpose is to have good driver assists, I'd avoid Subaru. The Audi that replaced our Subaru has really good driver assists, almost to the point that you can drive hands free on the freeway.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got a 2019 Crosstrek that I bought new. I traded in my 2013 Outback on it that I also bought new. Never turned a screw on the Outback. I put a lotta hard miles on that Outback. It was the best car I ever had, until I bought the Crosstrek. I like the Crosstrek even better. Both of those cars have taken me places that the 4wd SUV’s I’ve always had in the past would not have gotten me. The footprint of the Crosstrek is very small. It climbs like a mountain goat. It’s surefooted, and is very efficient, and I really can’t say enough good things about it. It’s outstanding in the snow. Great fuel economy. It suits me to a ‘T’. A lotta the roads I take it on aren’t even roads...they’re more like burro paths up in the mountains. It’s got a Maytag under the hood...it’s a 2.0 4-cylinder that cranks out a massive 152 horsepower. It weighs a little over a ton and a half. It’s got just under 9 inches of ground clearance. I didn’t want the EyeSight Safety Package on mine. As with the Outback, the Crosstrek is an absolute joy to own and drive.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Remsen,

Thanks for your quick comments, much appreciated.

Comments from anyone else are welcome.

Fenton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone I know with a crosstrek loves it.

This includes one neighbor and 2 co-workers

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Antlers,

Thanks to you as well, good info.

How do you feel about the acceleration with the 2.0 liter 4-cyylinder? I've read some reviews that thought it was a bit sluggish. Some models offer a 2.5 liter with a turbo that is quicker.
2.0 liter would probably be fine for the wife as she's a slow driver anyway.

Fenton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fenton
How do you feel about the acceleration with the 2.0 liter 4-cylinder? I've read some reviews that thought it was a bit sluggish. Some models offer a 2.5 liter with a turbo that is quicker.
2.0 liter would probably be fine for the wife as she's a slow driver anyway.
It ain’t a problem for me. I’m not heavy footed anyways. So I don’t find it sluggish at all. It does everything I need it to do, and then some. It ain’t a race car. The 2.5 liter with a turbo would negate the efficiency and the economy that I was looking for.
Last October I went over Cottonwood Pass in a whiteout blizzard, it was snowing sideways; the heavy snow was accumulating fast. It was a powdery snow at least a foot deep. Couldn’t see schit. I was able to stay on the road only by staying in between those tall poles on both sides of the road that guide the snowplows. But the Crosstrek was impressively surefooted in that environment.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remsen
There's Subarus everywhere in my family (brother's wife has a Crosstrek, sister has an Outback, niece has an Outback and we had an Outback as well until a few months ago). The Subaru drivers assist package is not the best out there. I am not a fan of drivers' assists and turn them off whenever I have to drive a car with them, and the Subaru system is very imprecise. It tends to pingpong between the lines on the freeway and the automatic braking system is outright dangerous, as it will sometimes react to things that pose no risk, like a branch on the ground behind it when you are in reverse.

Subarus are good for some things, but if the purpose is to have good driver assists, I'd avoid Subaru. The Audi that replaced our Subaru has really good driver assists, almost to the point that you can drive hands free on the freeway.

We have a Toyota Highlander will all that stuff. It's been very accurate and reliable. The smaller Rav4 has the same system I believe. If the Sub has problems, a Toyota might be a better choice.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Subaru with the 2.5 is a stone acceleration wise. If you have a good dealer then are just OK if you have a terrible dealer run away fast. They will not give you the longevity of a well maintained Toyota or Honda. They are no better in snow and bad weather then a very good AWD system on most SUV's.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The wife drives a Subaru Ascent. The lane assist is not an option she or I use. Turn it off and it doesn't come back on unless you turn it on! Just don't put a coexist, or rainbow decal in the windows! Subaru makes fine cars, your wife will like it!

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It’s great for traveling to weed festivals, Whole Foods and getting all my Patagonia gear………

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought mine in May of 2019. It’s a 2.0i Premium with CVT.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lane assist is a pain in the rear. In the Toyota, if you change lanes without signaling, it beeps at you. I often do that when there's no traffic and I get tired of the beeping. It hasn't been turned on in a year.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Subaru are tough durable reliable cars. Now, some people should not be driving !!!!!!!

"not too grumpy"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Though my 2013 Crosstrek was an early model and had 2 recalls, both of which seem to have been done okay, it has seen me thru some nasty driving across SD and WY several times, By far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've never driven a cross trek but we have had a few subies in the family. i love my 16 outback and my daughter loves her 19 forester. for peripheral vision, check out the size of the A pillars. on both my outback and my daughters forester, the A pillar is thick and takes some getting used to. for AWD you won't find better. all mine go through snow like little tanks.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll just leave this here:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only people I know that have Subarus around here are openly homosexual or secretly homosexual an openly support them.

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Forget the naysayers…..

I drove a 2005 Outback for 15 years. In the winter I passed all types of vehicles in the snow. They were scared [bleep], I blew their doors off, whining babies from Jeep Wranglers to Tacoma want-a-be Ford Exploders. Summers when it rained, these SOB’s held me up on the road. Best vehicle out there and the Crosstrek is just a smaller version.

I’d get one, put good tires on it and laugh at the tear jerkers. I’d have one today but I need room for 4 pups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 257 roberts, 70 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.