Campfire Outfitter
K

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/16/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
why didn't just load the moose on the trailer?

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Because the truck and trailer wouldn't make it to where the moose died.

An no, that wasn't me:)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With that winch set-up and bed configuration I'd guess it not to be his first Moose rodeo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was more curious as to why he appears to be un gutted. Hopefully not but it would seem like a bunch of extra stuff to haul off.

My cousin once hauled a 5x5 bull elk home whole. Strung him up in the barn and spilt his innards into a 20gal plastic mineral lick tub. At which point he figured out he couldn’t lift or move it!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I transported a whole Shiras Moose in the bed of my 1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Hauled it home to process, gutted of course back in 1995.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Necessity is the mother.....

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most times people just do it with what they have.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute

And sometimes necessity is A mother …..

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 1minute

And sometimes necessity is A mother …..

ironbender;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that you and your fine family are doing well.

We're finally getting a good, driving rain here, the first since May I guess, so even though I'm half way out the door to go hunting with our eldest, I'm okay with the downpour as it'll put out a couple of the lingering fires where we're going hunting.

I've shown this before, but for those who've not seen it or who get a laugh, this was my buddy in his youth when his pickup and his hunting partner's were both in the shop half apart and well..... it was moose season!!!

[Linked Image]

All the best to you all and good luck on your hunts this fall my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK, I gotta ask, how the hell did your buddy get that moose up on the roof of the car?

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That’s great Dwayne! Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a fork moose into the bed of a Datsun PU. Dragged him with the truck to a pile of rocks set by.people for unloading their rigs. Tied off the line to a boulder, ran it through a ring in the truck bed, and tied it off to the neck. As i drove away it slid into the bed. With quite a bit of jockeying it went in far enough to allow me to point right at the rock and back away. Did it solo and i guess it took an hour or so.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRnCO
OK, I gotta ask, how the hell did your buddy get that moose up on the roof of the car?

TRnCO;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day is giving you the weather you need and you're well.

I am sorry that I can't recall how the two chaps loaded it, but it could well be some rope work like Sitka deer described. They were both skookum boys too and full of vinegar back then, so perhaps it was a bunch of just dragging it up place.

The ropes which held it in place are off in the photo, they roped it on with the windows down and then slid into the car through the open windows. That part I recall. Edit - apparently I recalled how the straps were installed incorrectly! Read on!! grin

The interesting part is I first saw that photo at our meat cutter's place back in the mid '80's, but he sold the place in about '88 as we started cutting our own game in '89 as I recall.

Anyways, I'd forgotten all about the details but was at buddy's place years later, perhaps a decade or so back and mentioned it. He of course exclaimed, "That was me and R who's moved to the Kootenays! Just a minute, I'll dig out the original for you!" and he did!

Sorry I can't be more help on the details, he's in the Yukon right now and I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him next time.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/19/21. Reason: more information has come to light!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by TRnCO

TRnCO;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day is giving you the weather you need and you're well.

I am sorry that I can't recall how the two chaps loaded it, but it could well be some rope work like Sitka deer described. They were both skookum boys too and full of vinegar back then, so perhaps it was a bunch of just dragging it up place.

The ropes which held it in place are off in the photo, they roped it on with the windows down and then slid into the car through the open windows. That part I recall.

The interesting part is I first saw that photo at our meat cutter's place back in the mid '80's, but he sold the place in about '88 as we started cutting our own game in '89 as I recall.

Anyways, I'd forgotten all about the details but was at buddy's place years later, perhaps a decade or so back and mentioned it. He of course exclaimed, "That was me and R who's moved to the Kootenays! Just a minute, I'll dig out the original for you!" and he did!

Sorry I can't be more help on the details, he's in the Yukon right now and I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him next time.

All the best.

Dwayne

Gotta run the ropes/straps inside with the doors open.

Don’t ask. 😉

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Winched a whole shiras bull into the back of a Chevy Luv back in the mid 90’s

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Good evening sir, I trust the weekend was a good one for you.

Since I was going off of memory - and it's not what it once was by any stretch anymore - I shall amend my reply to say that there were straps involved and leave it there! laugh

I'll absolutely bow to anyone's experience which involved being there and doing that as they say.

Some day if you ever drop in on a trip south or north however, I'll add that story to the list of things we need to talk about!!! wink

Thanks for the correction and all the best to you all this week and this season.

Dwayne

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ironbender;
Good evening sir, I trust the weekend was a good one for you.

Since I was going off of memory - and it's not what it once was by any stretch anymore - I shall amend my reply to say that there were straps involved and leave it there! laugh

I'll absolutely bow to anyone's experience which involved being there and doing that as they say.

Some day if you ever drop in on a trip south or north however, I'll add that story to the list of things we need to talk about!!! wink

Thanks for the correction and all the best to you all this week and this season.

Dwayne

That visit is on my bucket list.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,939
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.