-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I feel the need for major pulling power seems like the Ram 2500 Cummins or the Ford 6.7 is going to get the call. For standard half ton work, I could do this one I think if it gets north of 20 mpg. If it doesn't, will keep pounding on the 2015 Tundra. Hoping the new one has typical Toyota reliability.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Are they offering a choice of rear ends in this new Tundra?

Nope

Major mistake, IMO.

Probably not an issue with the 10 speed transmission, if the ratios are sufficiently low in the lower gears.

I'm guessing it would pale in comparison to a 3.23 geared rear end, which is at least offered in competing trucks. You know, 1700 rpm's instead of 2200 at 70+mph?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My Tundra turns 1900 @ 70 and 2000 @ 75.
I'd probably have to do 85 to hit 2200 rpm which, obviously, isn't normal driving conditions.
I would've liked to see a 3.90 or 4.10 option though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on how the transmission is geared, you many or may not need a low-geared R&P ratio. The lowest Ford offers with their 3.5EB is 3.55. That's with the max-tow package. Can go up to 3.73 in same configuration with the 5.0L, likely because it's not making as much torque in top gear at highway RPM. I could see offering an optional gearing that is lower, in case a guy knew he was immediately going to something like a 35" tire. Then again, most of these new transmissions allow you to select a Sport setting that locks out the top overdrive and holds RPM higher for shift points.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Still no snow plow with the crash avoidance system. They don’t have a software fix.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Only complaint with my 2020 Tundra is the tiny bed, and not much of a complaint there. Have a real truck for doing real truck stuff that won't fit in the Tundra bed.

Not sure how I feel about the turbo'd V6's. Hard to beat the reliability that came with the 5.7. Too many whining about mileage all the time.

I agree with this. My 2020 Tundra TRD Pro (50,000 miles) and my wife's Sequoia (140,000) have been much more reliable for us than our GM and Ford vehicles. A few things I hate about the Tundra: 1.) it automatically locks the doors anytime I walk away from the truck. This gets annoying when working or unloading in hunting camp. I end up leaving the doors open to circumvent this, but then the cab fills with flies and mosquitoes; 2.) The stupid push-button start. Not sure what brilliant person dreamed this up, but it causes far more problems than it solves; 3.) no 3/4 ton; 4.) traction control system using brake pressure instead of a real limited slip or locking differential.

I'm trading my 2020 TRD for an F250 in few days. Kind of mixed emotions in that I think I'm going to miss the Tundra and really like the 5.7 despite the 16 MPG it usually gets. I would definitely stick with Toyota if they would offer the 2022 in a 3/4 ton.

Also, the worry about gearing is over-rated. Mine is a 4.30:1 but you need to factor in transmission gearing. Mine is under 2000 at 70 mph. With a higher-geared rear end, I would worry more about lugging at that speed given lower rpm.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/01/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Only complaint with my 2020 Tundra is the tiny bed, and not much of a complaint there. Have a real truck for doing real truck stuff that won't fit in the Tundra bed.

Not sure how I feel about the turbo'd V6's. Hard to beat the reliability that came with the 5.7. Too many whining about mileage all the time.

I agree with this. My 2020 Tundra TRD Pro (50,000 miles) and my wife's Sequoia (140,000) have been much more reliable for us than our GM and Ford vehicles. A few things I hate about the Tundra: 1.) it automatically locks the doors anytime I walk away from the truck. This gets annoying when working or unloading in hunting camp. I end up leaving the doors open to circumvent this, but then the cab fills with flies and mosquitoes; 2.) The stupid push-button start. Not sure what brilliant person dreamed this up, but it causes far more problems than it solves; 3.) no 3/4 ton; 4.) traction control system using brake pressure instead of a real limited slip or locking differential.

I'm trading my 2020 TRD for an F250 in few days. Kind of mixed emotions in that I think I'm going to miss the Tundra and really like the 5.7 despite the 16 MPG it usually gets. I would definitely stick with Toyota if they would offer the 2022 in a 3/4 ton.

Also, the worry about gearing is over-rated. Mine is a 4.30:1 but you need to factor in transmission gearing. Mine is under 2000 at 70 mph. With a higher-geared rear end, I would worry more about lugging at that speed given lower rpm.

You’ll throw rocks at the Tundra after you drive the new F-250.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

T

I hope you're right for what those things cost!

l liked many of the features and comfort of my last two F150s more than my Tundra. I like the reliability that I and immediate family (wife, mom and dad) are seeing with Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. My parents tend to trade around 150,000 and never seem to have problems. My last two F150s turned to junk around 60,000 or I would still be driving them.

I haven't been around 3/4 ton diesels since the late 1990s when I was working for my dad's welding and machine business so the F250 will be a new experience for me.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/02/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

T

I hope you're right for what those things cost!

l liked many of the features and comfort of my last two F150s more than my Tundra. I like the reliability that I and immediate family (wife, mom and dad) are seeing with Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. My parents tend to trade around 150,000 and never seem to have problems. My last two F150s turned to junk around 60,000 or I would still be driving them.

I haven't been around 3/4 ton diesels since the late 1990s when I was working for my dad's welding and machine business so the F250 will be a new experience for me.

The ride, the way they drive, the way they pull, and the fuel economy are way ahead of the outdated and overrated Tundra. And Ford’s 6.7 Diesel will Out pull and outrun every other Diesel engine on the road. You will absolutely love it, is my bet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 truck vs Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie. Typically long highway driving only, some trailer work though nothing really heavy. Test drove a Ram 2500 Laramie and was impressed with it. If the 2015 Tundra sells, I am going to be in the market pretty quick.

Is the Ford that much better than the Ram? Never owned a domestic truck.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Saw a couple of 2022s today. I told the people manning the Toyota booth I was trading for a Ford. When they asked why, I told them to get a 3/4 ton to pull on a goose neck and the answer was, "Oh, that makes sense." I asked if Toyota was going to make a 3/4 ton and they shrugged. I told them I would probably buy one if they would make it. Doesn't seem likely from my discussion today.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16491973#Post16491973

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 truck vs Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie. Typically long highway driving only, some trailer work though nothing really heavy. Test drove a Ram 2500 Laramie and was impressed with it. If the 2015 Tundra sells, I am going to be in the market pretty quick.

I'll take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day of the week. The interiors of the newer Rams are much nicer and quieter than anything in their class.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

I'll take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day of the week. The interiors of the newer Rams are much nicer and quieter than anything in their class.

The Cummins is the best engine in its class. The problem is they wrap a Dodge around it and I just cannot by a Chrysler product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dodge has always been second-rate in my mind, out of the domestics, but it seems they've made up a lot of ground in the last decade with regards to quality and technology. Good for them, and I'm glad to see better products out there for the consumer.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All said and done, some people want a Tundra and others would rather have a truck.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter

The Cummins is the best engine in its class. The problem is they wrap a Dodge around it and I just cannot by a Chrysler product.

If it were 3 years ago you'd have a valid argument. Nowadays, not so much.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JPro
Dodge has always been second-rate in my mind, out of the domestics, but it seems they've made up a lot of ground in the last decade with regards to quality and technology. Good for them, and I'm glad to see better products out there for the consumer.

Technically Dodge isn’t a domestic anymore.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by JPro

Technically Dodge isn’t a domestic anymore.

Technically Dodge hasn't built a truck for almost 2 decades.......................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay. Well it used to be that a Ram or Dakota would fall apart going down the road. Now it seems that they last longer and can compete better with Ford and GM. I have not a clue where they're made or who actually makes them, but they're apparently not the turd they once were, which is good for the consumer.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by VaHunter

If it were 3 years ago you'd have a valid argument. Nowadays, not so much.

That’s right. I agree Dodge has not been as nice and plush in the past but last year I looked at all 3 very very carefully. It was a big deal for us to get a new truck so I didn’t just run out and get one quickly. Ram was the only one that offered the things that were real important to me. The interior is second to none and better than some. I got the Laramie and understand longhorn or platinum is a touch nicer but wasn’t worth 10k to me. I was able to get the 52 gallon plus the 25 gallon tank. That’s pretty nice for traveling and that was the reason for the truck. I have friends with GM and Fords. Power braking and fuel mileage seems about the same. I’m just glad I bought last year when we could still get close to $11,000 off msrp.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.