Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

Can you offer what application you are using?

Thanks Pal!

If you're asking what housings I am using, they are brand new OEM Toyota replacements--identical to originals ($140 each vs $40 for aftermarket). There is a lot of research put into this that shows the aftermarket units are garbage. Also installing Phillips Racing GT200 bulbs. I have all the parts; just been busy with work.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

Thanks Pal!

If you're asking what housings I am using, they are brand new OEM Toyota replacements--identical to originals ($140 each vs $40 for aftermarket). There is a lot of research put into this that shows the aftermarket units are garbage. Also installing Phillips Racing GT200 bulbs. I have all the parts; just been busy with work.

Thanks Pal.

Do you have a link for both of the above?

Very much appreciated.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal

Thanks Pal!

Thanks Pal.

Do you have a link for both of the above?

Very much appreciated.

Here you go.
https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-parts/toyota-headlight-left-811700c010
https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-parts/toyota-headlight-right-811300c010
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393521217126

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you.

cool

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Originally Posted by 30338
The Dodges I looked at are made in Mexico and the profits go to Italy.

Toyotas profits go to japan

Really?

I was unaware Toyota is not a private company and all that work for them are Japanese. Thank you for the insight.

All profit DO GO TO japan Mr insight

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Buzz
Here are some pictures of what I was saying earlier that I just don't get.

I cannot imagine a 4x4 without hooks on the front.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Who designed this awful rear bumper? I don't recall ever seeing a truck you can't use the bumper as a step to get in the tailgate. That's just a piss poor design

Unlike the previous generation with massive brakes, these LOOK much smaller. I don't have a picture of the rear axle but it is shockingly small compared to the previous generation.

Just not sure where they are going with these changes. I won't even get into the 3.4L TT (it's not a 3.5L). I am sure Toyota will get it right there eventually, but I'd sure not want to be an early adapter.

The rear bumper comment is bullchit. I was stepping on one yesterday just fine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are the axles and brakes smaller or do they just look smaller due to the larger/blockier design of the truck? Woman with small hands holding onto big Jim and the twins effect.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Buzz
Here are some pictures of what I was saying earlier that I just don't get.

I cannot imagine a 4x4 without hooks on the front.

Who designed this awful rear bumper? I don't recall ever seeing a truck you can't use the bumper as a step to get in the tailgate. That's just a piss poor design

Unlike the previous generation with massive brakes, these LOOK much smaller. I don't have a picture of the rear axle but it is shockingly small compared to the previous generation.

Just not sure where they are going with these changes. I won't even get into the 3.4L TT (it's not a 3.5L). I am sure Toyota will get it right there eventually, but I'd sure not want to be an early adapter.

The rear bumper comment is bullchit. I was stepping on one yesterday just fine.

He may mean "tailgate down - bumper proud of each side to provide a step up" but I've never found that to be all that handy, it's but another 2 inches to be right on the tailgate as it is.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a new TRD model the other day on the street and it was my first time to walk around the new Tundra and take a look. I hope they do well and offer another solid option in the half-ton market, but I do not find the new model to be a handsome design. The F150 and Silverado are more visually appealing, in my book. Not really a big fan of the giant grills that all manufacturers are using these days, but it is what it is.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm wondering if the shift to big grills has to do with the need to cool turbos, intercoolers and higher engine temps brought on by a more lean tune to meet EPA emissions?

Need the big grill to wrap around the big rad assembly. It's why the hood on a Pete 389 is bigger/longer than the old 379. Needed more cooling real estate.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could indeed be part of it. I had to special order a winch plate and grillguard for my Ecoboost Ford that would sit the winch above the intercooler opening. Lots of cooling on the front of that one.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I looked at and drove a new Tundra yesterday and I was disappointed.

I drive a 2014 Tundra and love it, but they changed many little things that to me are not an improvement. As mentioned above the grill is huge and to me it is too open which could allow gravel, small birds, etc in. The bed seems to be covered in plastic along with the bumpers, etc. Texas sun is not kind to plastics and the 22 model has much more plastic than the 14. The inside of the new console has shelves and compartments that limits the size of the objects one could place in it. My 14 has one huge opening and it is amazing how much it will hold. The rear seat in the crew cab is supported by a large plastic piece that makes for a nice storage bin. However, when you raise the seats up you no longer have the large fairly flat floor to put objects like rifle cases on. In fact the transmission tunnel on the rear floor is about three times higher than in my 14. My old Chocolate Lab would be uncomfortable on that huge hump. My 14 trim level has power drivers seat, but the 22 does not. The new location for the 4-wheel drive control looks like it could be bumped a lot easier.

Then there's the V6 twin turbo business that adds complexity and labor time if the engine ever needs work. The ten speed tranny? Will it not be constantly searching for the right gear especially in off road use?

When I came back from the test drive, (it does ride better than the 14!), I made the mistake of parking next to the 14. Dang that 22 is rather fugly compared to old reliable. Did I mention how much black plastic there is for the sun to devour?

Will eventually get used to the looks and needs change so maybe someday...Hey Toyota, if ya put the 5.7 V8 back in it I may could be persuaded.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like it or not the 22s are what they are, we will never see another V8 thanks to the EPA.
I would still bet even with it being the first model year it will be more reliable with less cost to own in the long run, not to mention it will almost certainly have a better resale 10 years from now than other offerings out there.

Time has proven that out. back in 07 when the 2nd gen came out I heard all the same BS about that truck, some just like to hate for the sake of it I guess? I will keep driving my 07 a few more years I suppose, right now it's still tight, has never had a front end alignment after close to 180,000, uses no oil with not a leak anywhere, no cracks in the dash or any other plastic interior parts. perfect? no but far better than many other brands my friends bought in the same time period, I feel I made the best choice out of everything that was offered in 07.

I'm sure the 3rd gen trucks will have a few glitches but outside of being not so handsome looking they will likely be a good truck.
I really wish Ford ,GM and Ram WOULD build a truck of comparable quality?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillbill
Like it or not the 22s are what they are, we will never see another V8 thanks to the EPA.
I would still bet even with it being the first model year it will be more reliable with less cost to own in the long run, not to mention it will almost certainly have a better resale 10 years from now than other offerings out there.

Time has proven that out. back in 07 when the 2nd gen came out I heard all the same BS about that truck, some just like to hate for the sake of it I guess? I will keep driving my 07 a few more years I suppose, right now it's still tight, has never had a front end alignment after close to 180,000, uses no oil with not a leak anywhere, no cracks in the dash or any other plastic interior parts. perfect? no but far better than many other brands my friends bought in the same time period, I feel I made the best choice out of everything that was offered in 07.

I'm sure the 3rd gen trucks will have a few glitches but outside of being not so handsome looking they will likely be a good truck.
I really wish Ford ,GM and Ram WOULD build a truck of comparable quality?

I'd agree with this. Maybe not the v-8 part but I think that today's consumer is learning that v-8 in and of itself isn't a silver bullet. The HP and torque created by modern 6cyl vehicles outclass the old standbys of yesteryear. The old Ford 302 and Chev 350 hp numbers are laughable today yet we pulled campers and boats with them then just fine - you can pull a camper/boat fine today. Large speed transmissions help. Not apples/apples but last week I took a 600 mile trip for work. My mid sized car has a tiny 4cyl but 9 speed trans. You'd think HP to Weight would be dead in that thing - a slug and poor mpg. Nope, in the 40's because of the perfect gears all the time in that transmission.

We also expect a lot more these days. I remember when 78k miles was a lot of miles on a vehicle. Today that's not even 1/2 its life. The worst truck today is likely a lot better than the best truck 15 years ago.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just pulled up next to a new tundra on the way home from work today.

Holy balls…….That is one ugly truck. They went from one of the best looking 1/2 tons to looking like some kind of anime nightmare.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the previous version for looks. The new one is growing on me and I have a feeling that it's my next truck when the time is right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

They should have gone the aluminum route like ford did and re-engineered their V8 engine and powertrain especially the 4.10 gear ratio. They could have also introduced a diesel . They are a very conservative company and I why they took this plunge is unlike them. It will be a disaster for them and its owners.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

They should have gone the aluminum route like ford did and re-engineered their V8 engine and powertrain especially the 4.10 gear ratio. They could have also introduced a diesel . They are a very conservative company and I why they took this plunge is unlike them. It will be a disaster for them and its owners.

More than doubtful.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

More than doubtful.

I agree. The TT thing doesn’t bother me at all. Toyota can engineer and compound turbos ain’t exactly new tech.
The 4:10 thing doesn’t really matter either. By itself it means nothing.

Looks wise though, I was taken aback. Fuggers U G L Y, it ain’t got no alibi, it s ugly.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by EdM
[quote=Oldelkhunter]As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

More than doubtful.

I agree. The TT thing doesn’t bother me at all. Toyota can engineer and compound turbos ain’t exactly new tech.
The 4:10 thing doesn’t really matter either. By itself it means nothing.

4.10 gears were on the previous model. I have been dealing with our local Toyota dealer for 22 years , they have serviced Tundra, 3 Tacomas, Avalon , highlander and Camry and they are getting a lot of complaints on the few they sold. Electrical and Turbo issues. That's why I wouldn't touch one and I have bought a lot of Toyotas..

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.