Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
See Toyota released this finally...I like the styling although it looks a lot like a GMC. 3.5 Twin Turbo engine that's close to 400 HP AND 490 TORQUE. Wish payload was more - says it will max at 1900 pounds. I do love the fact they are going to offer 5.5. 6.5. and 8.1 bed in full crew cab configurations. Will be curious to see what fuel mileage is, but I would assume its probably close what a ford eco boost is.

If they offer a 6.5" bed Crew Cab that has max or close to max payload rating, may be a truck I look at a couple years down the road after the kinks have been worked out.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not crazy about the looks but I'm sure it will grow on me. I went with the double cab for the 6.5' bed but if they offer a crew max or similar with the 6.5' bed I, too, will be interested in a couple years.

What they should do is make a true four door crew cab somewhere between the double cab and crew max and offer only that one cab. Give it a 6.5" bed and they'd sell all they could make.
Heck, they could even do that on the existing frame/wheelbase, give it a 6'-6'2" bed and I'd buy one.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It looks good, I'll probably trade my 2016 for a new one in a couple of years when things settle out from Covid. I love my 2016 and haven't had one bit of trouble out of it, just wish it got better fuel mileage.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Are they offering a choice of rear ends in this new Tundra?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 6.5 bed with crew cab is of interest to me as well. If the mpg are low to mid 20s I may have to try one.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

bring it here

we'll beat it up......... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

bring it here

we'll beat it up......... grin

Nah, not a single pivot track in sight.... that’s light terrain.

I’m probably going to pull the trigger on one of these, assuming the COVID insanity dies down a bit, sometime next year. Too bad there’s not a manual transmission option, but I suppose that is very much wishful thinking. I even ordered my new Kenworth with an automated transmission. The world is going to hell in a hand basket......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I traded my tacoma for a Silverado at the end of 2019 and am happy with it. Got a good deal with GM incentives and all. Would have bought a Tundra except for the gas mileage. My 5.3 GM gets about the same mileage as my tacoma did so I'm really happy with that. When it's time for this one to go I will definitely look at one of these. By that time they will have been out a few years, enough to have worked the "new model bugs" out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Only complaint with my 2020 Tundra is the tiny bed, and not much of a complaint there. Have a real truck for doing real truck stuff that won't fit in the Tundra bed.

Not sure how I feel about the turbo'd V6's. Hard to beat the reliability that came with the 5.7. Too many whining about mileage all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Nope

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a Toyota guy but wife is. They are picking my interest. Throw in the off road package with that slow crawl, I may just have to look into one.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Nope fugly

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Not sure how I feel about the turbo'd V6's. Hard to beat the reliability that came with the 5.7. Too many whining about mileage all the time.

I have a 2016 and the mileage sucks. I'm fine with a twin turbo V6, turbo engines pull better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slip_sinker

What they should do is make a true four door crew cab somewhere between the double cab and crew max and offer only that one cab. Give it a 6.5" bed and they'd sell all they could make. .

I was always impressed with the room in the backseat of the Dbl cab. I agree though, something in between and a 6.5’ bed would be nice.

As to the TTv6, wouldn’t bother me at all. It ain’t the 80’s or 90’s. Most have turbos figured out and they are quite reliable.

And if not, Toyota has a lot of experience with recalls. I trust they would handle it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I traded my tacoma for a Silverado at the end of 2019 and am happy with it. Got a good deal with GM incentives and all. Would have bought a Tundra except for the gas mileage. My 5.3 GM gets about the same mileage as my tacoma did so I'm really happy with that. When it's time for this one to go I will definitely look at one of these. By that time they will have been out a few years, enough to have worked the "new model bugs" out.

That's good thinking. Very good. By that time, you will be having major transmission problems with your GMC. I'd be looking into the hybrid model when you do too. I don't know if the op was talking about that model or not. No link and pretty vague OP. The hybrid model looks to put out some good hp numbers and excellent gas mileage figures. From what I remember when reading an article a couple months ago, it was something like 30mpg. That gets my interests up, but I also agree with the poster that said the new Tundras are pretty fuggly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hour long tech video from the chief engineer of the new Tundra (and other vehicles that sill share its platform). Covers all the reasons and why’s and how’s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still No Diesel
Still No 1 Ton

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Still No Diesel
Still No 1 Ton

Still no 3/4 ton, either. We looked at the Tundra some years ago. The dealer said that Toyota was committed to the suburbia market. They had no intentions of making diesels or high capacity pickups.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Nope

Major mistake, IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope

Major mistake, IMO.

Probably not an issue with the 10 speed transmission, if the ratios are sufficiently low in the lower gears.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I feel the need for major pulling power seems like the Ram 2500 Cummins or the Ford 6.7 is going to get the call. For standard half ton work, I could do this one I think if it gets north of 20 mpg. If it doesn't, will keep pounding on the 2015 Tundra. Hoping the new one has typical Toyota reliability.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by badger

Nope

Major mistake, IMO.

Probably not an issue with the 10 speed transmission, if the ratios are sufficiently low in the lower gears.

I'm guessing it would pale in comparison to a 3.23 geared rear end, which is at least offered in competing trucks. You know, 1700 rpm's instead of 2200 at 70+mph?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Tundra turns 1900 @ 70 and 2000 @ 75.
I'd probably have to do 85 to hit 2200 rpm which, obviously, isn't normal driving conditions.
I would've liked to see a 3.90 or 4.10 option though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on how the transmission is geared, you many or may not need a low-geared R&P ratio. The lowest Ford offers with their 3.5EB is 3.55. That's with the max-tow package. Can go up to 3.73 in same configuration with the 5.0L, likely because it's not making as much torque in top gear at highway RPM. I could see offering an optional gearing that is lower, in case a guy knew he was immediately going to something like a 35" tire. Then again, most of these new transmissions allow you to select a Sport setting that locks out the top overdrive and holds RPM higher for shift points.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Still no snow plow with the crash avoidance system. They don’t have a software fix.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Only complaint with my 2020 Tundra is the tiny bed, and not much of a complaint there. Have a real truck for doing real truck stuff that won't fit in the Tundra bed.

I agree with this. My 2020 Tundra TRD Pro (50,000 miles) and my wife's Sequoia (140,000) have been much more reliable for us than our GM and Ford vehicles. A few things I hate about the Tundra: 1.) it automatically locks the doors anytime I walk away from the truck. This gets annoying when working or unloading in hunting camp. I end up leaving the doors open to circumvent this, but then the cab fills with flies and mosquitoes; 2.) The stupid push-button start. Not sure what brilliant person dreamed this up, but it causes far more problems than it solves; 3.) no 3/4 ton; 4.) traction control system using brake pressure instead of a real limited slip or locking differential.

I'm trading my 2020 TRD for an F250 in few days. Kind of mixed emotions in that I think I'm going to miss the Tundra and really like the 5.7 despite the 16 MPG it usually gets. I would definitely stick with Toyota if they would offer the 2022 in a 3/4 ton.

Also, the worry about gearing is over-rated. Mine is a 4.30:1 but you need to factor in transmission gearing. Mine is under 2000 at 70 mph. With a higher-geared rear end, I would worry more about lugging at that speed given lower rpm.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/01/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I agree with this. My 2020 Tundra TRD Pro (50,000 miles) and my wife's Sequoia (140,000) have been much more reliable for us than our GM and Ford vehicles. A few things I hate about the Tundra: 1.) it automatically locks the doors anytime I walk away from the truck. This gets annoying when working or unloading in hunting camp. I end up leaving the doors open to circumvent this, but then the cab fills with flies and mosquitoes; 2.) The stupid push-button start. Not sure what brilliant person dreamed this up, but it causes far more problems than it solves; 3.) no 3/4 ton; 4.) traction control system using brake pressure instead of a real limited slip or locking differential.

I'm trading my 2020 TRD for an F250 in few days. Kind of mixed emotions in that I think I'm going to miss the Tundra and really like the 5.7 despite the 16 MPG it usually gets. I would definitely stick with Toyota if they would offer the 2022 in a 3/4 ton.

Also, the worry about gearing is over-rated. Mine is a 4.30:1 but you need to factor in transmission gearing. Mine is under 2000 at 70 mph. With a higher-geared rear end, I would worry more about lugging at that speed given lower rpm.

You’ll throw rocks at the Tundra after you drive the new F-250.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

T

I hope you're right for what those things cost!

l liked many of the features and comfort of my last two F150s more than my Tundra. I like the reliability that I and immediate family (wife, mom and dad) are seeing with Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. My parents tend to trade around 150,000 and never seem to have problems. My last two F150s turned to junk around 60,000 or I would still be driving them.

I haven't been around 3/4 ton diesels since the late 1990s when I was working for my dad's welding and machine business so the F250 will be a new experience for me.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/02/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

T

I hope you're right for what those things cost!

l liked many of the features and comfort of my last two F150s more than my Tundra. I like the reliability that I and immediate family (wife, mom and dad) are seeing with Tundras, 4Runners and Sequoias. My parents tend to trade around 150,000 and never seem to have problems. My last two F150s turned to junk around 60,000 or I would still be driving them.

I haven't been around 3/4 ton diesels since the late 1990s when I was working for my dad's welding and machine business so the F250 will be a new experience for me.

The ride, the way they drive, the way they pull, and the fuel economy are way ahead of the outdated and overrated Tundra. And Ford’s 6.7 Diesel will Out pull and outrun every other Diesel engine on the road. You will absolutely love it, is my bet.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 truck vs Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie. Typically long highway driving only, some trailer work though nothing really heavy. Test drove a Ram 2500 Laramie and was impressed with it. If the 2015 Tundra sells, I am going to be in the market pretty quick.

Is the Ford that much better than the Ram? Never owned a domestic truck.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Saw a couple of 2022s today. I told the people manning the Toyota booth I was trading for a Ford. When they asked why, I told them to get a 3/4 ton to pull on a goose neck and the answer was, "Oh, that makes sense." I asked if Toyota was going to make a 3/4 ton and they shrugged. I told them I would probably buy one if they would make it. Doesn't seem likely from my discussion today.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16491973#Post16491973

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 truck vs Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie. Typically long highway driving only, some trailer work though nothing really heavy. Test drove a Ram 2500 Laramie and was impressed with it. If the 2015 Tundra sells, I am going to be in the market pretty quick.

I'll take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day of the week. The interiors of the newer Rams are much nicer and quieter than anything in their class.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

I'll take a Cummins over a Powerstroke any day of the week. The interiors of the newer Rams are much nicer and quieter than anything in their class.

The Cummins is the best engine in its class. The problem is they wrap a Dodge around it and I just cannot by a Chrysler product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dodge has always been second-rate in my mind, out of the domestics, but it seems they've made up a lot of ground in the last decade with regards to quality and technology. Good for them, and I'm glad to see better products out there for the consumer.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All said and done, some people want a Tundra and others would rather have a truck.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter

The Cummins is the best engine in its class. The problem is they wrap a Dodge around it and I just cannot by a Chrysler product.

If it were 3 years ago you'd have a valid argument. Nowadays, not so much.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JPro
Dodge has always been second-rate in my mind, out of the domestics, but it seems they've made up a lot of ground in the last decade with regards to quality and technology. Good for them, and I'm glad to see better products out there for the consumer.

Technically Dodge isn’t a domestic anymore.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heeler

Technically Dodge hasn't built a truck for almost 2 decades.......................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay. Well it used to be that a Ram or Dakota would fall apart going down the road. Now it seems that they last longer and can compete better with Ford and GM. I have not a clue where they're made or who actually makes them, but they're apparently not the turd they once were, which is good for the consumer.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by VaHunter

If it were 3 years ago you'd have a valid argument. Nowadays, not so much.

That’s right. I agree Dodge has not been as nice and plush in the past but last year I looked at all 3 very very carefully. It was a big deal for us to get a new truck so I didn’t just run out and get one quickly. Ram was the only one that offered the things that were real important to me. The interior is second to none and better than some. I got the Laramie and understand longhorn or platinum is a touch nicer but wasn’t worth 10k to me. I was able to get the 52 gallon plus the 25 gallon tank. That’s pretty nice for traveling and that was the reason for the truck. I have friends with GM and Fords. Power braking and fuel mileage seems about the same. I’m just glad I bought last year when we could still get close to $11,000 off msrp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay. Well it used to be that a Ram or Dakota would fall apart going down the road. Now it seems that they last longer and can compete better with Ford and GM. I have not a clue where they're made or who actually makes them, but they're apparently not the turd they once were, which is good for the consumer.

True, was just having a little fun there smile.

I currently have a 2014 2500 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. 180k miles so far. Have replaced the water pump and upper radiator hose (preventive maintenance), a rear axle seal, and upgraded the transmission with a Garmon Performance Diesel towing unit. King Racing off road shocks. The transmission had not failed, but with the tune I knew it would be a matter of time. Other than that, it has been boringly reliable. Original ball joints, one set of brake pads, and tires, other than regular maintenance.

My previous truck, a 2003 with Cummins, I drove to almost 300k miles, with a similar track record. When I'm done with this one, I will be taking a look at the Tundra, only because Diesel emissions are becoming more of a PITA, and the EPA is getting tougher. I know I'll miss the torque when towing, though..

Last edited by badger; 10/05/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New tundra looks like a heck of a rig. Probably will beat out the current best half ton - the old tundra.

Funny all the chat about dodges on a tundra thread.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a deposit down on a 2022 Tundra Limited TRD, double cab, 6 1/2ft bed, with the IForce hybrid drive. I'm willing to take the chance on a new one. The IForce requirement will delay my delivery. The 437 HP and 583 ft-lb torgue is worth the wait...and better gas mileage.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boise
I have a deposit down on a 2022 Tundra Limited TRD, double cab, 6 1/2ft bed, with the IForce hybrid drive. I'm willing to take the chance on a new one. The IForce requirement will delay my delivery. The 437 HP and 583 ft-lb torgue is worth the wait...and better gas mileage.

Curious. What's the sticker on it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been watching several videos on youtube with the new Tundra on them. Going to drive the 2015 another year or two and see how the new one looks in person. Hard to leave the reliability that I have seen from 4 4runners, 2 Tundras, 2 T100s, a Camry and a Tacoma. And its nice that its made in Texas too. Keep seeing the made in Mexico stuff from others and it bothers me a bit.

Pups will be riding out the fall in the Tundra again lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Boise

Curious. What's the sticker on it?

No sticker pricing yet, assuming similar to a 2021 and that will be around $55k.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not impressed by the NiMh hybrid battery, particularly from a longevity and replacement cost standpoint.

Round numbers, if the battery pack lasts 150K miles, and the hybrid gets 23 mpg vs 20 of the standard truck, you save roughly 1,000 gallons in those 150K miles. Replacing a Prius pack at the dealer is $4K.

I’m not seeing the economic benefit here. Useful for towing torque, yes, but that’s a lot of added complexity and cost without an economic return.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
23 vs 20 sound like highway MPGs. If one drives lots of local miles, the numbers may be 23 vs 15MPG, if the 3.5TT can get 15MPG. The fuel savings could be 3478 gallons and at $3 or $4 a gallon, it can make economic sense

NRA lifetime member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're right, but I'd have to see 23 vs 15 before I would believe it. That seems wildly optimistic to me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TFLTrucks on YouTube ran a new Tundra a few hundred highway miles and calculated 18.6 MPG. Ot also has a chitty payload rating and not much of an improvement on towing capacity. Ugly as hell, and plastic rear bumper caps integrated into the bedside. No tow hooks either.

I've driven Tundras since 2002, but I think I'll be going back to Ford for my next truck.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like a bench front seat. I don't think it's an option on the new tundra.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A pickumup without a bench seat? This is not right and this is not good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Explain please? Are they made in Mexico like Gm's?

I have owned Toyotas for a very very long time , it is the first time in many years that there is not one in the Driveway. Initial Mileages coming from the new Tundra is 18-19 mpg range in 4x4. Big improvement over the 5.7 but still not enough to compete.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Dodges I looked at are made in Mexico and the profits go to Italy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Which Ram would that be? They make the classics in Mexico , the others are made in the US. Gm makes their trucks in Mexico and the profits go to the Labor unions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ram 2500 Diesel I looked at was from Mexico.

Here is a list of the Ram Trucks that the Saltillo Assembly Plant in Mexico currently builds:

Ram 1500 Classic (Regular Cab – for the Canadian and U.S. markets)
Ram 2500
Ram 3500
Ram 3500 Chassis Cab
Ram 4000 (spec Chassis Cab model – for the Mexican market)
Ram 4500 Chassis Cab
Ram 5500 Chassis Cab

Last edited by 30338; 12/11/21.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Buy america

NRA lifetime member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, narrows it down to Tundra and Ford.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dutch
I’m not impressed by the NiMh hybrid battery, particularly from a longevity and replacement cost standpoint.

Round numbers, if the battery pack lasts 150K miles, and the hybrid gets 23 mpg vs 20 of the standard truck, you save roughly 1,000 gallons in those 150K miles. Replacing a Prius pack at the dealer is $4K.

I’m not seeing the economic benefit here. Useful for towing torque, yes, but that’s a lot of added complexity and cost without an economic return.

I agree with this - with any truck that actually get used like a truck, complexity in a drivetrain is not a good thing IMO. Personally, I am willing to sacrifice a couple miles per gallon for something simpler and time-proven.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Toyotas profits go to japan

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Yep, narrows it down to Tundra and Ford.

Nope just Ford

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Explain please? Are they made in Mexico like Gm's?

I have owned Toyotas for a very very long time , it is the first time in many years that there is not one in the Driveway. Initial Mileages coming from the new Tundra is 18-19 mpg range in 4x4. Big improvement over the 5.7 but still not enough to compete.

Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep is a wholly owned subsidiary of Stellantis NV headquartered in Amsterdam. This was a recent merger of Fiat Chrysler and French automaker PSA.

But Chrysler was for a long time partially owned by Daimler before the Fiat buyout.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Every Chevy truck I’ve owned has been made in Detroit, but I haven’t had a 1/2 ton since ‘05. My Dad had a 2011 Ram 2500 made in Mexico. In any event, I wouldn’t think a Toyota shopper would care all that much about the US being the country of origin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2015 when I was truck shopping last, the Chevys were coming from Mexico. I bought a Texas truck at that time. Depending on reports for the Ford F250 when I buy my next truck, it does appear to be the most American made at this time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Just found out you get to pay a monthly fee for the Tundra's remote start. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My one concern with both Tundras I own(ed) has been the dash electronics. They have both been quirky at times. So the new one with a flood of new electronics does not instill confidence in me. Another reason I'll wait a year or more.

If I was buying today, the Ford F250 7.3 gasser looks like it would do depending on the gear ratio. Probably would only need the 3.55.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ok so which is better?

The parent company getting the profits and the Mexicans getting all the Jobs or a foreign company getting the profits and Americans getting the jobs?

Since when do the big corporations buy anyone in the US any groceries, gas, homes or anything else?
Seems like a dumb conversation to me or maybe I'm the one that's dumb?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Do you have the 7.3l?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
and plastic rear bumper caps integrated into the bedside. No tow hooks either.

I've driven Tundras since 2002, but I think I'll be going back to Ford for my next truck.

Old thread but having been interested in one myself and actually seeing one I was definitely repulsed at the styling but stumped at the plastic bumper caps and lack of tow hooks. The axle is also about half the size of the previous model. Several of my friends had deposits down on them, but have since taken their name out of the hat since actually being able to look at one.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got no dog in this fight, but thought I'd share some firsthand experience with 2021 Ford F250. Last fall my son's forest management employer bought 6 plain jane F250 4wds. Three of those trucks are used daily off highway, frequently in 4wd this time of year. On the 3 dirt road trucks the 'in cab 4 wd control' quit working within the the first 15,000 miles. Required the hubs to be manually engaged. Parts to fix that are "in the pipeline" (3 weeks and counting) according to the service writer. 2 of the 3 trucks emit a horrible squalling noise in the dash when the engine is turned off, possibly air duct doors. Dealer wants owner to share cost of repair, since they think it is caused by dirt and dust. 2 of the 3 trucks, and one of the pavement queens, had stress fractured windshields in less than 10,000 miles. I drove one of the trucks one afternoon, at 20,000 miles it has body rattles like an old Dodge. The drivers are waiting to see what these trucks will do when they have a 100,000 miles on the clock. Asking the 3 drivers if they would buy a F250 4x4 for themselves...no takers, even if they could get it for the 43,000 fleet buy price.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by garddogg56

Toyota is public traded--on the NYSE I think. You could probably do some research and figure out where the profits really go. Made in San Antonio by non-union workers. About as American made as anything these days.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Did I mention the tundra is one fugly truck

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Really?

I was unaware Toyota is not a private company and all that work for them are Japanese. Thank you for the insight.

Camp is where you make it.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 2022 Tundra is butt F'ugly!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by pal
The 2022 Tundra is butt F'ugly!

And they are trying to copy Fords twin turbo engine and ya they are fugly

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are some pictures of what I was saying earlier that I just don't get.

I cannot imagine a 4x4 without hooks on the front.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Who designed this awful rear bumper? I don't recall ever seeing a truck you can't use the bumper as a step to get in the tailgate. That's just a piss poor design

Unlike the previous generation with massive brakes, these LOOK much smaller. I don't have a picture of the rear axle but it is shockingly small compared to the previous generation.

Just not sure where they are going with these changes. I won't even get into the 3.4L TT (it's not a 3.5L). I am sure Toyota will get it right there eventually, but I'd sure not want to be an early adapter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is one ugly truck!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So ugly it would make freight train take a dirt road!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buzz

Who designed this awful rear bumper? I don't recall ever seeing a truck you can't use the bumper as a step to get in the tailgate. That's just a piss poor design

Unlike the previous generation with massive brakes, these LOOK much smaller. I don't have a picture of the rear axle but it is shockingly small compared to the previous generation.

Just not sure where they are going with these changes. I won't even get into the 3.4L TT (it's not a 3.5L). I am sure Toyota will get it right there eventually, but I'd sure not want to be an early adapter.

Those are 22" rims, they will make the 16" disc brakes look tiny. That thing must ride like chit, 22" rims with 35" tires....not a lot of rubber.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KevinLA
Buy america

Toyota is about as American made as all the others, and actually lasts...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by sactoller

Those are 22" rims, they will make the 16" disc brakes look tiny. That thing must ride like chit, 22" rims with 35" tires....not a lot of rubber.

Definite downgrade from the 2020 TRD I had that had 18s. Not sure why everyone is going to 22s. Not a great idea for ride and off-road.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My 2020 Tundra TRD off road with a 6.5 ft bed - its all good

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/04/22.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm keeping my 2000 Tundra. V-8 4x4. 128,000 miles.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive seen all sorts of problems with the first gen tundras. An iditarod musher hauled a dog box on a twin axle trailer and the tranmission blew.

I just drove last year model first gen tundra that belonged to my hunting buddy. He passed away. He treated his vehicles very well. The 4wd wasnt working and both the 2wd/4wd and 4lo/4hi button were blinking.

My neighbor up the hill hit a coupla frost heaves with brand new ball joints. In both instanses, the tire stuffed into the wheel well and he almost rolled the vehicle.

The rear spring packs are marshmellow dog sht and cant haul any real weight. Ive had to install add a leafs in two tundras.

The timing belt jobs are insanely complicated, and expensive. Ive assisted with two timimg belt jobs. The original belts were severly cracked at just over 100'000 miles.

Just because a truck says "toyota" on it, does not mean its invincible.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mainer, I bought 3 Toyotas in 2007, a Tundra, a Tacoma, and an FJ Cruiser. The Tundra and Tacoma have the dash rotary switch for 4wd...biggest pain in the ass annoyance I've ever seen. Won't go in...eventually goes in, won't go out, the colder it is the worse it gets. The FJ puddle jumper 4wd stick is mechanical, quick, easy, positive, in or out hot or cold. And the other thing that just spins me out, the high speed gear ratio in reverse. Does any pickup really need to go 55 mph in reverse? Or endlessly slip the clutch to ease up to a trailer ball? Rear spring packs..."marshmallow dogschidt"... that is the best description I've heard yet. But, no engine /drivetrain troubles, Tundra has 210K, Tacoma has 170K, Puddle Jumper has 70K.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ive seen all sorts of problems with the first gen tundras. An iditarod musher hauled a dog box on a twin axle trailer and the tranmission blew.

I just drove last year model first gen tundra that belonged to my hunting buddy. He passed away. He treated his vehicles very well. The 4wd wasnt working and both the 2wd/4wd and 4lo/4hi button were blinking.

My neighbor up the hill hit a coupla frost heaves with brand new ball joints. In both instanses, the tire stuffed into the wheel well and he almost rolled the vehicle.

The rear spring packs are marshmellow dog sht and cant haul any real weight. Ive had to install add a leafs in two tundras.

The timing belt jobs are insanely complicated, and expensive. Ive assisted with two timimg belt jobs. The original belts were severly cracked at just over 100'000 miles.

Timing belt on a Tundra?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pal
I'm keeping my 2000 Tundra. V-8 4x4. 128,000 miles.

In my opinion, those were the best Tundras of all with that 4.7L V8. We had very good luck with 2-3 of those at work and they lasted well past 250k.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Obviously you are talking the !st gen Tundra with the 4.7 or the very first Gen 2s? the 5.7 has a chain, so does the 4.6.
I have NEVER had a problem with my 07 going in and out of 4wd, done it hundreds of times. Twice today as a matter of fact.
Did have to replace the oil sending unit on it today though. 175,000 miles and 14+ yrs? expect stuff like that.
The 2nd gen tundra has a fairly low reverse, lower than the Fords and Chevys I've had.
Are you sure we are talking about the same truck?
The first gen was a totally different animal.
I have never heard of a Gen 2 Tundra losing a ball joint, my truck has never even had an alignment in almost 15 years.

How many new trucks have a stick to engage the 4wd these days? almost none, wish they did but it is what it is.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Taking delivery of a 2022 Tundra SR5 with the TRD off-road package, etc between Feb 14th -19th. Wish me luck! Couldn’t pass up getting more than what I paid for my 2021 4Runner off-road premium in trade with zero “market adjustment” on the new Tundra I spec’d out to my liking. I bought the 4Runner as a burner to get what I wanted in this crazy market 😁

Last edited by DV_Ramrod; 02/05/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Old elk hunter, yep the first gen tundras had a timing belt.

Forgot another issue ive seen:

Warped or cracked/leaky exuahst manifolds on the first gen tundras. Always under 100,000 miles.

Hauling a small snowmachine trailer with an RMK 800 and about 600 lbs of supplies:

9 mpg at 60 mph.

A 7.3 powerstroke or a 6bt cummins pulling or hauling twice that amount of weight gets far better fuel economy.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Regarding the 2022 Tundra,theres a pile of them that were brought back to dealers all over the country.

Turbo wastegate issues, check engine lights,surging, etc.

Some are waiting for months, for the lack of back-ordered parts to fix the issues.

I bet there will be a recall. If not, customers without their trucks will have to resort to the lemon laws of their respective states.

Oh what a feeling.......Toyota.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
2022 Tundra has unremarkable gas mileage and for Toyota an overly complicated design. If people think they are getting 300k out of one of these I want some of the drugs they are using. Toyota earned their engine reputation by building under stressed big block designs .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
2022 Tundra has unremarkable gas mileage and for Toyota an overly complicated design. If people think they are getting 300k out of one of these I want some of the drugs they are using. Toyota earned their engine reputation by building under stressed big block designs .

Big block designs?
The very highest mileage engines out there that I know of are the 4.7 V8?
The 5.7 is a good engine but not the best they have built.

If I had to lay down money between the twin turbo Ford and the Toyota I would go with the Toyota and smile about it.
Keep in mind just because an engine is a smaller displacement V6 it can have internals beefed up enough to handle whatever the design parameters are and I'm sure that's the case.

When I bought my 07 I heard all the same bull crap we are hearing now, years later it has proven to be the most reliable truck out there, time will tell of course but Toyota didn't get where they are by doing dumb stuff.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hillbill

Big block designs?
The very highest mileage engines out there that I know of are the 4.7 V8?
The 5.7 is a good engine but not the best they have built.

If I had to lay down money between the twin turbo Ford and the Toyota I would go with the Toyota and smile about it.
Keep in mind just because an engine is a smaller displacement V6 it can have internals beefed up enough to handle whatever the design parameters are and I'm sure that's the case.

When I bought my 07 I heard all the same bull crap we are hearing now, years later it has proven to be the most reliable truck out there, time will tell of course but Toyota didn't get where they are by doing dumb stuff.

We are talking about a 2022 Tundra not an older version Tundra. Didn't someone drive a 5.7 Tundra 1 million miles? Didn't they run a variation of that engine in their luxury lineup including the Land Cruiser , I guess Toyota must be stupid using that instead of a 4.7 in a land cruiser? I avoid twin turbo Fords and would never consider a new Tundra with a twin turbo V6 although it is probably a more solid design then the Ford.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
V6's are stupid in a full size truck application.

I like em in mini vans though.

The 3 liter inline six diesel is the only current 1/2 ton truck engine that makes sense to me.

I wish gm wouldve done more with the 4.2l vortec inline six.

I also wish toyota wouldve done more with the 4.5l 1fzfe as well

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Get accustomed to it guys, in 10 more years they will be all electric, then we will be wishing for a conventional engine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get accustomed to it guys, in 10 more years they will be all electric, then we will be wishing for a conventional engine.

Well, at least we won’t have to bitch about cam phasers, timing belts or AFM...... wink.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pal
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

Can you offer what application you are using?

Thanks Pal!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

crazy

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal

Thanks Pal!

If you're asking what housings I am using, they are brand new OEM Toyota replacements--identical to originals ($140 each vs $40 for aftermarket). There is a lot of research put into this that shows the aftermarket units are garbage. Also installing Phillips Racing GT200 bulbs. I have all the parts; just been busy with work.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal

Thanks Pal!

If you're asking what housings I am using, they are brand new OEM Toyota replacements--identical to originals ($140 each vs $40 for aftermarket). There is a lot of research put into this that shows the aftermarket units are garbage. Also installing Phillips Racing GT200 bulbs. I have all the parts; just been busy with work.

Thanks Pal.

Do you have a link for both of the above?

Very much appreciated.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by pal

Thanks Pal!

Thanks Pal.

Do you have a link for both of the above?

Very much appreciated.

Here you go.
https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-parts/toyota-headlight-left-811700c010
https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-parts/toyota-headlight-right-811300c010
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393521217126

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you.

cool

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by tzone

Really?

I was unaware Toyota is not a private company and all that work for them are Japanese. Thank you for the insight.

All profit DO GO TO japan Mr insight

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The rear bumper comment is bullchit. I was stepping on one yesterday just fine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are the axles and brakes smaller or do they just look smaller due to the larger/blockier design of the truck? Woman with small hands holding onto big Jim and the twins effect.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

The rear bumper comment is bullchit. I was stepping on one yesterday just fine.

He may mean "tailgate down - bumper proud of each side to provide a step up" but I've never found that to be all that handy, it's but another 2 inches to be right on the tailgate as it is.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a new TRD model the other day on the street and it was my first time to walk around the new Tundra and take a look. I hope they do well and offer another solid option in the half-ton market, but I do not find the new model to be a handsome design. The F150 and Silverado are more visually appealing, in my book. Not really a big fan of the giant grills that all manufacturers are using these days, but it is what it is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm wondering if the shift to big grills has to do with the need to cool turbos, intercoolers and higher engine temps brought on by a more lean tune to meet EPA emissions?

Need the big grill to wrap around the big rad assembly. It's why the hood on a Pete 389 is bigger/longer than the old 379. Needed more cooling real estate.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could indeed be part of it. I had to special order a winch plate and grillguard for my Ecoboost Ford that would sit the winch above the intercooler opening. Lots of cooling on the front of that one.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I looked at and drove a new Tundra yesterday and I was disappointed.

I drive a 2014 Tundra and love it, but they changed many little things that to me are not an improvement. As mentioned above the grill is huge and to me it is too open which could allow gravel, small birds, etc in. The bed seems to be covered in plastic along with the bumpers, etc. Texas sun is not kind to plastics and the 22 model has much more plastic than the 14. The inside of the new console has shelves and compartments that limits the size of the objects one could place in it. My 14 has one huge opening and it is amazing how much it will hold. The rear seat in the crew cab is supported by a large plastic piece that makes for a nice storage bin. However, when you raise the seats up you no longer have the large fairly flat floor to put objects like rifle cases on. In fact the transmission tunnel on the rear floor is about three times higher than in my 14. My old Chocolate Lab would be uncomfortable on that huge hump. My 14 trim level has power drivers seat, but the 22 does not. The new location for the 4-wheel drive control looks like it could be bumped a lot easier.

Then there's the V6 twin turbo business that adds complexity and labor time if the engine ever needs work. The ten speed tranny? Will it not be constantly searching for the right gear especially in off road use?

When I came back from the test drive, (it does ride better than the 14!), I made the mistake of parking next to the 14. Dang that 22 is rather fugly compared to old reliable. Did I mention how much black plastic there is for the sun to devour?

Will eventually get used to the looks and needs change so maybe someday...Hey Toyota, if ya put the 5.7 V8 back in it I may could be persuaded.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like it or not the 22s are what they are, we will never see another V8 thanks to the EPA.
I would still bet even with it being the first model year it will be more reliable with less cost to own in the long run, not to mention it will almost certainly have a better resale 10 years from now than other offerings out there.

Time has proven that out. back in 07 when the 2nd gen came out I heard all the same BS about that truck, some just like to hate for the sake of it I guess? I will keep driving my 07 a few more years I suppose, right now it's still tight, has never had a front end alignment after close to 180,000, uses no oil with not a leak anywhere, no cracks in the dash or any other plastic interior parts. perfect? no but far better than many other brands my friends bought in the same time period, I feel I made the best choice out of everything that was offered in 07.

I'm sure the 3rd gen trucks will have a few glitches but outside of being not so handsome looking they will likely be a good truck.
I really wish Ford ,GM and Ram WOULD build a truck of comparable quality?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like it or not the 22s are what they are, we will never see another V8 thanks to the EPA.
I would still bet even with it being the first model year it will be more reliable with less cost to own in the long run, not to mention it will almost certainly have a better resale 10 years from now than other offerings out there.

Time has proven that out. back in 07 when the 2nd gen came out I heard all the same BS about that truck, some just like to hate for the sake of it I guess? I will keep driving my 07 a few more years I suppose, right now it's still tight, has never had a front end alignment after close to 180,000, uses no oil with not a leak anywhere, no cracks in the dash or any other plastic interior parts. perfect? no but far better than many other brands my friends bought in the same time period, I feel I made the best choice out of everything that was offered in 07.

I'm sure the 3rd gen trucks will have a few glitches but outside of being not so handsome looking they will likely be a good truck.
I really wish Ford ,GM and Ram WOULD build a truck of comparable quality?

I'd agree with this. Maybe not the v-8 part but I think that today's consumer is learning that v-8 in and of itself isn't a silver bullet. The HP and torque created by modern 6cyl vehicles outclass the old standbys of yesteryear. The old Ford 302 and Chev 350 hp numbers are laughable today yet we pulled campers and boats with them then just fine - you can pull a camper/boat fine today. Large speed transmissions help. Not apples/apples but last week I took a 600 mile trip for work. My mid sized car has a tiny 4cyl but 9 speed trans. You'd think HP to Weight would be dead in that thing - a slug and poor mpg. Nope, in the 40's because of the perfect gears all the time in that transmission.

We also expect a lot more these days. I remember when 78k miles was a lot of miles on a vehicle. Today that's not even 1/2 its life. The worst truck today is likely a lot better than the best truck 15 years ago.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just pulled up next to a new tundra on the way home from work today.

Holy balls…….That is one ugly truck. They went from one of the best looking 1/2 tons to looking like some kind of anime nightmare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the previous version for looks. The new one is growing on me and I have a feeling that it's my next truck when the time is right.

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

They should have gone the aluminum route like ford did and re-engineered their V8 engine and powertrain especially the 4.10 gear ratio. They could have also introduced a diesel . They are a very conservative company and I why they took this plunge is unlike them. It will be a disaster for them and its owners.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

They should have gone the aluminum route like ford did and re-engineered their V8 engine and powertrain especially the 4.10 gear ratio. They could have also introduced a diesel . They are a very conservative company and I why they took this plunge is unlike them. It will be a disaster for them and its owners.

More than doubtful.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

More than doubtful.

I agree. The TT thing doesn’t bother me at all. Toyota can engineer and compound turbos ain’t exactly new tech.
The 4:10 thing doesn’t really matter either. By itself it means nothing.

Looks wise though, I was taken aback. Fuggers U G L Y, it ain’t got no alibi, it s ugly.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by EdM
[quote=Oldelkhunter]As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

More than doubtful.

I agree. The TT thing doesn’t bother me at all. Toyota can engineer and compound turbos ain’t exactly new tech.

4.10 gears were on the previous model. I have been dealing with our local Toyota dealer for 22 years , they have serviced Tundra, 3 Tacomas, Avalon , highlander and Camry and they are getting a lot of complaints on the few they sold. Electrical and Turbo issues. That's why I wouldn't touch one and I have bought a lot of Toyotas..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[/quote]
Originally Posted by MadMooner
[quote=EdM][quote=Oldelkhunter]As a previous owner of a 2017 Tundra and looking at the specs onToyota really chitt the bed with this one. They were never a pretty truck either but the new one is hideous.

More than doubtful.

I
agree. The TT thing doesn’t bother me at all. Toyota can engineer and compound turbos ain’t exactly new tech.

4.10 gears were on the previous model. I have been dealing with our local Toyota dealer for 22 years , they have serviced Tundra, 3 Tacomas, Avalon , highlander and Camry and they are getting a lot of complaints on the few they sold. Electrical and Turbo issues. That's why I wouldn't touch one and I have bought a lot of Toyotas..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll keep driving my 2020 Tundra for the foreseeable long term future.

The looks would improve on the 2022's by a factor of 10 if they'd simply color match the lower portion of the grille. As it is, the front is just a mass of black. It needs broken up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on a few Tundra pages, including one for the 2022 model. Lots of stories from New Tundra owners whose trucks are sitting at dealers for weeks due to problems. Rear axle shaft that slid out, front Strut assembly failure, and plenty of turbo issues. Then there are common complaints about wind noise around windows, squeaking dashes and consoles, seat belt alarms, leaking roofs, etc.

It's bad enough that a popular truck and suv youtuber suggested 2 months ago that the 2022 might be a flop. Oh, and MPG isn't all that much improved.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never ever buy the first model year of a re-design.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Never ever buy the first model year of a re-design.

Even if it is a Toyota.

I'm on a few Tundra pages, including one for the 2022 model. Lots of stories from New Tundra owners whose trucks are sitting at dealers for weeks due to problems. Rear axle shaft that slid out, front Strut assembly failure, and plenty of turbo issues. Then there are common complaints about wind noise around windows, squeaking dashes and consoles, seat belt alarms, leaking roofs, etc.

It's bad enough that a popular truck and suv youtuber suggested 2 months ago that the 2022 might be a flop. Oh, and MPG isn't all that much improved.

Lots of issues because they went the absolute wrong way with the design. The old model went 15 years , this one will never last that long.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Consider me "not surprised". My 2014 Tundra wasn't "all that" either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Still driving my 07, first year truck, only major problems in 180,000 + was timing chains, likely because I ran the dog poop out of it early on so that one is on me. no squeaks or rattles, never touched the front end for anything other than shocks.
pulls a big bass boat up and down a mountain very regularly and still does it just like it did years ago.
Overall the best truck I have ever owned in my 62 years of life.

I also own a 05 GX-470 with almost 350,000 on the clock, still going strong, a 17 GX-460 with 100,000 and 0 issues.

Toyota fan? No but I must say their trucks are the best of the lot having owned them all over the years, Perfect? There is no such thing.

Would buy a first year Toy before anyone else's first production year truck, just speaking from experience, yours may vary.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've seen 4 new tundra in the last 2 weeks. They kinda look like a Tacoma that was hit with a hammer a few times.

I hope they are a wild success, but they are a bit cut, winged and curved for me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.