Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 H&H that shoots about 1/2 MOA vertical and 2 1/2 to 3 MOA horizontal with the loads I've tried so far. I've resisted glass bedding it again so far.
I'm curious, There's a screw that is through the fore arm that must have been to tighten the barrel to the forearm. Do you guys tighten this, keep it loose or remove it for best accuracy? Any tricks?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that is a million dollar question. I have had to tighten it to farmer tight on a few and some I just removed it. I would experiment with it some. I'd try tightening right down first and take it completely out for the next group. My P64 338 liked it tight while I have seen others that do fine without it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a 300 H&H that shoots about 1/2 MOA vertical and 2 1/2 to 3 MOA horizontal with the loads I've tried so far. I've resisted glass bedding it again so far.
I'm curious, There's a screw that is through the fore arm that must have been to tighten the barrel to the forearm. Do you guys tighten this, keep it loose or remove it for best accuracy? Any tricks?

Is the rifle and stock all original?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much whatever works for you. On my P64 .300 H&H I have the frontmost screw just tight enough that it doesn't fall out. If you have a torque wrench take it with to the range and and tighten it at 5 inch/lbs increments and see what happens.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It’s original.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
PLUS 1 TO Pugs Post, just above. Likely the best answer IF the rifle is yet with ostensibly original descriptor. Glassed, technically altered. You need to decide. The screw with bit of the mildest 'lock-tight' genre screw securer, as required.
Just my take
Best!'
John

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If your rifle has the Redfield JR one-piece mount with dual opposing windage screws I would check the tightness of those rear scope mount windage screws first. If you have a bore sighter you can see movement if the windage screw is loose.

Last edited by model70man; 09/20/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty's post was the best answer. However, I'd add that if the op wants to glass bed a stock, buy a used one that's already been altered, like with an addition of a recoil pad. I wouldn't glass bed the original 300H&H stock. There are guys here that believe the pre 64 model 70 doesn't need glass bedding, but there are multiple reasons to glass be a barreled action into a stock. The op states one of the most important reasons to glass bed a rifle. Also, my take on pre 64's with the forend screw found on the standard weight models. The ones I have had, have shot most accurately with the screw removed and the barrel freefloated. That is of course after a proper glass bedding. That is the only way they are going to shoot accurately and retain the same poi year after year. With the forend tension screw, you are always going to have to check to make sure your poi hasn't changed, due to changes in humidity and different barrel to stock contact. Also, if the op's rifle is shooting that poorly, I'd remove it from the stock and check for cracks. If this is the case, all bets are off and I'd fix the crack and glass bed the sob...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by model70man
If your rifle has the Redfield JR one-piece mount with dual opposing windage screws I would check the tightness of those rear scope mount windage screws first. If you have a bore sighter you can see movement if the windage screw is loose.

Excellent thing to consider. If it has windage adjustable rings, now would be a good time to throw them away and buy something more suitable and nicer.. There are many newer options out there now that work much better and offer more strength and reliability than that type of mount..

BSA MAGA
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The mounts are Leupold, quick disconnect type and they are tight. I have also a 375 H&H (AI unfortunately) pre-64 and it has identical mounts. I have a spare scope with mounts that will inter-change with either.
I'll fiddle with the fore-end screw. I bought a POS pre-64 stock here on the fire, I'm not sure if it will fit. I'll give it a try.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The mounts are Leupold, quick disconnect type and they are tight. I have also a 375 H&H (AI unfortunately) pre-64 and it has identical mounts. I have a spare scope with mounts that will inter-change with either.
I'll fiddle with the fore-end screw. I bought a POS pre-64 stock here on the fire, I'm not sure if it will fit. I'll give it a try.

Glass bed and play around with the POS stock and keep the original as is. Another option is Mcmillan, Brown Precision or any other after market stock you can live with. It really depends on what you want to use the rifle for.

BSA MAGA
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Initially that those two rifles were going to Africa with me - That was the plan. Now, I’m thinking the 300 deserves to get hunted by me at least once. A Wyoming cow elk would be fine.

When a hunter gets old, each hunt, even a cow elk hunt becomes precious. But there’s a problem too. What rifle? What load? This might be the last hunt…

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I too am interested in pet loads for the 300 H&H. I have a pre 64 that I am reviving with a remodeled rollover stock (what I have available currently). Intent is to use it for mule deer, black bear and moose.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a pre-'64 .M70 .300 H&H for a good while. Very accurate with several bullets, but the zero wanders slightly from time to time. Not enough to really hurt anything as I don't shoot at extreme ranges. I can live with that as the rifle is all original and I don't want to bed it. I've had little experience with the forearm screw; this probably varies from one rifle to another.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeh, my 375 doesn’t have that screw, the stock I bought didn’t have a place for the screw.
I wonder if the attachment to the barrel comes off easily? I’ll have to look.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeh, my 375 doesn’t have that screw, the stock I bought didn’t have a place for the screw.
I wonder if the attachment to the barrel comes off easily? I’ll have to look.

A lot of aftermarket stocks make no provision for the barrel tension screw. You don't have to remove anything, except for the screw itself. Id do like Scotty said and try it with the screw snug, then try it with very little tension. Let the rifle tell you what it likes

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OP, here is a great thread to read:

Pre 64 model 70 accuracy

This will be a good read for a lot of you guys. A lot of good guys in it sharing their wisdom and experience. Another one of those threads that makes me miss ol Bobin..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Give the screw some tries and see what happens.

Doesn’t sound like you wanna put another stock on it. Most all of my P64’s have gotten McMillans but I’ve kept the Featherweights in wood, well, a couple of them.

That 300 H&H should work just perfect for cow elk. I’m always on the lookout for a 300 that I can swap into a McMillan.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a pre-64 300 H&H, it wears a receiver peep and fires 220gr partitions over h-4831 sc, it, like my pre-64 264 both fire more accurately with the screw just started a couple turns, i have blue loctite on the threads to keep from losing it, that said, the little 22 Hornet is snugged down medium tight, i think it's barrel with such a small bore makes it less of an issue.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Give the screw some tries and see what happens.

Doesn’t sound like you wanna put another stock on it. Most all of my P64’s have gotten McMillans but I’ve kept the Featherweights in wood, well, a couple of them.

That 300 H&H should work just perfect for cow elk. I’m always on the lookout for a 300 that I can swap into a McMillan.

I'll dig my old 300 H&H out and send ya a couple pics Big B, i love that damn thing, and yes, cow or bull elf would be cake inside 300 yards with the peep. cool

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 72 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.