Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
If it flies, floats, or fornicates...rent it!

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems the OP last posted in the Alaska forum about 7 days ago. Maybe he's out hunting?

If he sees this, I'd sure like to see what he has to say now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Save your $$ and retire debt free & stay healthy then enjoy life. smile Everything in moderation...Enjoy your family.Along the way do fun chit in your 30,s &40,s because when you get older it hurts a little more. crazyLast but not least don't lie and bullchit people old fuggers hate that.. grin

Last edited by coobie; 09/20/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Take the money you spend on Beer,Booze, Smoking, and save it , if you want to double your money fold it over and put it back in your pocket. spend your money on things they aren't making any more of like Dirt. Rio7

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, buy land, Gods not makin anymore!!! If your handy buy quality tools! Buy a small tractor with bucket, and a hoe, maybe a snow blower, dump trailer ya can make money with it. Also do your own septic, lane way, pond, etc. If ya have land with good timber & fire wood buy a wood splitter, maybe a small saw mill, build your own house!! Don't go overboard with the size to impress??? Single story, you will get old & stairs SUCK. If you've stopped growing, buy once cry once. Take care of your tools & equipment they may outlast you. If ya find that GOOD woman get a prenuptial agreement so she can't take half of stuff she's not entitled to. She may not be as good as ya think!!! (Don't ask) Try to have boys, adopt if ya have to, you'll need wood splitters when ya get to 70 (were I am now)!!!!!!! No boys, good luck!!!!! OH YA, ENJOY LIFE The simple life is more rewarding, travel some, see a few key spots, mountains, ocean, Yukon, Alaska!!! Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am 67, been retired since 2009. Never had a boss of any kind since and never worked a day since for any one but myself doing exactly what ever I felt like doing

NEVER borrow any money and you don't need to worry over anything else. Do what you think is right and so long as you didn't borrow for it, you can't go to far wrong to recover from it.

Last edited by JackRyan; 09/20/21.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When your wife says she is going to leave you, ask her one of these three things,,...

Do you need help with your luggage?

where you are going do you have money for a room.. the door locks here will be changed in an hour?

which auto do you want?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stairs can sure suck sometimes but if you build your house when you are young, build that two story salt box style with a basement. Put the refrigerator on the top floor and the TV in the basement.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

This thread is done.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You are 42, it's a good bet you have the foolishness of youth pretty well behind you. You have asked some serious life navigation questions, another big point in your favor. I haven't got these life skills figured out in my 75 years of bumbling along, but I'd hazard a couple of things to watch out for that gave me trouble.
As much as you love your family...don't get hung up in a career you hate because you are 'doing it for the good of the family'. If you subtract sleep hours, you spend most your life at work. Like what you do, even if the check is not what your wife thinks it should be.
I don't know how old your wife is, but if she is headed into menopause...you could be in for some rough sledding. Some gals handle it pretty well, and some? Well, you may not recognize the gal you married, personality wise. Maybe do a little reading on the subject if you sense some bewildering changes in your relationship.
Right now, the joy of my grandsons and the health to do outdoor stuff with them is the high point of my life, your mileage may vary.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I saw Derby Dude as the first responder, I thought he had decided to come back to the Fire to answer this one. Then I realized it was old.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age.
One thing sticks out - "DO IT NOW" (whether fun, hobby, bucket-list etc).. You may not have tomorrow.. Seriously..
I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here.
Here's one - Never work for your parents.. If you've not saved ($) by now, begin immediately; TODAY.. But not in the stock market..
Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.
Prepare yourself and family for hard times.. 'Cause they're a-comin'...

Wish I would have learned the never work for your parents thing years ago. I wasted some of my best earning potential years making 1/3 of what I was offered elsewhere and going 7 years without a raise. I worked too much for too little and cost me my health on promises that were never fulfilled.

Bb

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Scott F
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Two of the best pieces of advice I may have ever seen. Wish I had learned them in my teens. When I did learn it was a lot later with a lot of dirty water under the bridge. But life got a whole lot better when I did learn and acted upon these.

That is very good advice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
don't have sex with your wifes sister. unless she's really friggen hot. ya wait, no, don't have sex with your wifes sister.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age.
One thing sticks out - "DO IT NOW" (whether fun, hobby, bucket-list etc).. You may not have tomorrow.. Seriously..
I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here.
Here's one - Never work for your parents.. If you've not saved ($) by now, begin immediately; TODAY.. But not in the stock market..
Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.
Prepare yourself and family for hard times.. 'Cause they're a-comin'...

Wish I would have learned the never work for your parents thing years ago. I wasted some of my best earning potential years making 1/3 of what I was offered elsewhere and going 7 years without a raise. I worked too much for too little and cost me my health on promises that were never fulfilled.

Bb

Good advice Burley.... I have experienced the same

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Avoid debt
Find a good partner
Be prepared to work hard in your profession and your marriage
If you have children make sure they know you are the parents and you are in charge but don't beat them up with it
Tell your children you love them every day and don't just throw stuff at them. They need to earn it.
Love your grandchildren and make sure they know it and mean it.
Don't waste your money, love or youth.
Don't let the bottle run your life
Be prepared to be humbled by life and by your savior.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Qtip= 1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Logger= This is not for the OP, but very related. It is what he can tell some one much younger than he is now.

"Young people can virtually assure that they and their families will avoid poverty if they follow three elementary ruled for success: 1) complete at least a high school educations; 2) work full time; and 3) wait until age 21 and get married before having a baby. People who followed all three of these rules had only a 2% chance of being in poverty and a 72% chance of joining the middle class (earning above $55,000 in 2010). If someone failed in all three of these, their chance of living in poverty was 77% and they only had a 4% chance of making it into poverty."

When you get paid, the first 10% goes to God. The next 15% goes into savings. Live below your means and if you can't pay cash you can't afford anything. Never ask, how much per month? If you have to ask that, you can't afford it. Buy a low mileage used car 2-3 years old and pay cash. Start saving for the next one. Don't buy the biggest house the bank says you can afford. When you buy a house put a minimum of 20% down and make sure your payment is not more than 25% of your net income. Pay it off as quickly as you can and start saving for the next house. Live in one, rent the other. Pay it off and buy another. Stay as liquid as possible to jump on good deals that will have a good return on them. Especially real estate.

I'm 70. Just wish I'd learned all this stuff about 40 years ago.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
SPIRITUAL

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Vertical Alignment . . .

GOD . . . who is the head of the

CHRIST . . . who is the head of the

HUSBAND . . . who is the head of the

WIFE . . . who is the head of the

CHILDREN . . . who should obey your parents in all things

MARRIAGE

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

FINANCES

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
IProverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Malachi 3:8-10
8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Haggai 1:5-7
5Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

6Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.

7Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

DEMOCRATS

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I liked this one, so again.

I'm not sure you can find a good wife in a bar!!!

WIVES:

There will/may be times that you don't like your wife!
There may be times that you don't love your wife.
But never forget that YOU chose HER!!!

Decide right now, if you have to choose between your wife and someone else, I don't care who it is, mother, father, child, whatever, you have already chosen the wife!!!

KIDS: You absolutely CANNOT wait until they are 14 to start correcting the problems.......

If you can retire, comfortably, do it. Your trading good years for bad!

Don't wait til the last 10 years to worry about retirement.

There's more.......................

Last edited by Muffin; 09/20/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started doing this at about your age. Save 25% of all monies you make towards your retirement and learn to live on what is left. I'm 69 now. Not anywhere close to rich but very comfortable.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's for sure. Drive older cars, live in a smaller house. New and big don't matter, It's all for show. Millions of very successful families have been raised in lower level houses. Cut your level of living and put it away. You'll be needing it down the road. Saving even $100 per pay check and investing it will grow faster than you could ever imagine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.