Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
You all made me look again, and I see 40, 96, and can’t come up with 52. Regardless, I’ll throw 116 into the mix for consideration. OP?

PaHick was a strong advocate for 52 and did a pretty good job explaining his madnessmethod in his earlier post which also includes 40 and 96 solutions. As for the OP, PersianDog, I suspect he is sitting back enjoying his bowl of popcorn.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
You all made me look again, and I see 40, 96, and can’t come up with 52. Regardless, I’ll throw 116 into the mix for consideration. OP?

PaHick was a strong advocate for 52 and did a pretty good job explaining his madnessmethod in his earlier post which also includes 40 and 96 solutions. As for the OP, PersianDog, I suspect he is sitting back enjoying his bowl of popcorn.

Thank you, I see 52 now. 52 is to 96 as 40 is to 116. I submit 96 and 116 are both competing “correct” answers to the logic problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The whole premise of the problem isn’t to find a solution, but an exercise in showing how people will argue something that is their solution as being the correct answer even when shown other solutions are correct

19 is still the answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
19 is the only answer. Not debatable.

God Bless America
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

9 pages suggests otherwise.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Again, this is an exercise to show what lengths some people will go to, to defend mistakes made by the people who went before them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dassa
Again, this is an exercise to show what lengths some people will go to, to defend mistakes made by the people who went before them.

Perhaps it’s an exercise to demonstrate linear vs nonlinear thought?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

You misspelled "mental masterbation"...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by dassa

Quite possibly. It seems we would have the pro-linear vs. the anti-linear and come up with the answer Covid-19.

See what I did there. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The answer is 19.

I know the OP said not to explain, but I will explain my answer. The first line is correct, but not relevant. The other two lines are incorrect and still not relevant. The last line is the only one looking for an answer to the the equation which is 19.

What you stated is somewhat correct.

What we are given in the example is a 'mathematical sequence'. Whether the numbers actually are added correctly, in the base 10 system that we normally use, is irrelevant.

The example is asking for an answer to the sequence, as given.

I understand the natural tendency to answer it in sequence, but I don't see where it is directed to answer it in sequence. The other information in the picture could also be simple obfuscation to get you to answer it in sequence. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

Your right, nowhere does it say to figure out the sequence. However, hl nyuf, xgufpsu sequencing, there is no order. So what makes you think that 8+11=19. Because of the base 10 sequence we've been taught. My point is, there is a sequence in the example, and because it is a mathematical sequence, to solve it, you should consider the sequence.

and, like I said before, 'I reckon I'm a dummy'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

If you are counting in Base 10, it is one answer...... Who said to count in base 10?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

What’s the consensus?

Its 40 if you follow the pattern.

Guess I'm just dumb, cause I dont see a pattern that comes out to 40.

Fill in these with your pattern....

4+7=
5+8=
6+9=
7+10=
8+11=

CRICKETS!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The answer is 19.

I know the OP said not to explain, but I will explain my answer. The first line is correct, but not relevant. The other two lines are incorrect and still not relevant. The last line is the only one looking for an answer to the the equation which is 19.

What we are given in the example is a 'mathematical sequence'. Whether the numbers actually are added correctly, in the base 10 system that we normally use, is irrelevant.

I understand the natural tendency to answer it in sequence, but I don't see where it is directed to answer it in sequence. The other information in the picture could also be simple obfuscation to get you to answer it in sequence. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best.

Your right, nowhere does it say to figure out the sequence. However, hl nyuf, xgufpsu sequencing, there is no order. So what makes you think that 8+11=19. Because of the base 10 sequence we've been taught. My point is, there is a sequence in the example, and because it is a mathematical sequence, to solve it, you should consider the sequence.

Yes, I did consider that there was a possible sequence and went that route first before I backed up and read it again. That is when I realized that the answer in my opinion was far simpler than many were making it out to be.

I don't know how we would ever know the exact answer without asking the original author of the problem what his/her answer is supposed to be. Either it is 19 or the question was written poorly. Math is math and PEMDAS is solid.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

CRICKETS!

1+4=5

2+5(+ sum from problem above)=12

3+6(+ sum from problem above)=21

8+11(+ sum from problem above)=40

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

https://wcrz.com/have-you-solved-the-impossible-math-problem-that-has-gripped-facebook/

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The answer is 19.

Yes, I did consider that there was a possible sequence and went that route first before I backed up and read it again. That is when I realized that the answer in my opinion was far simpler than many were making it out to be.

I don't know how we would ever know the exact answer without asking the original author of the problem what his/her answer is supposed to be. Either it is 19 or the question was written poorly. Math is math and PEMDAS is solid.

I understand what you are saying, however I dont agree. In math, you have to figure sequences or you cant get the correct answer. For example, 2+3x4=? another example 2x3+4=? These are easy examples of having to use sequences or the proper order to get the correct answer. In math, if there are sequences, you have to consider them, unless there are directions saying not to. In our problem, there are no directions.

just my .02 smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The answer is 19.

I understand what you are saying, however I dont agree. In math, you have to figure sequences or you cant get the correct answer. For example, 2+3x4=? another example 2x3+4=? These are easy examples of having to use sequences or the proper order to get the correct answer. In math, if there are sequences, you have to consider them, unless there are directions saying not to. In our problem, there are no directions.

just my .02 smile

Yes, you are right there are no directions in this problem. If there are no directions then why would one deviate from the basic math principles of PEMDAS? Otherwise they become assumptions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

CRICKETS!

1+4=5

2+5(+ sum from problem above)=12

3+6(+ sum from problem above)=21

8+11(+ sum from problem above)=40

I think you are on the right track, but what about the rest of the sequence? If you dont consider the sequence, that could be right. If you consider the sequence, it figures out to be 96. And, in math you have to consider the sequence of things or you dont get the right answer..... see the examples in the post above.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.