Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

iffin UR young enoungh

start applying in Utah for Henry Mtn's......

decent bucks to be had.....18 years to wait

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I would take no pleasure or pride from shooting a deer in a pen or from a feeder or bait pile.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I would take no pleasure or pride from shooting a deer in a pen or from a feeder or bait pile.

nor I.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kingston
While most Texans won't admit it, too often hunting in Texas is like going to a whore house.

What?

They got them corn feeders in the whore houses there?

I reckon they're for stopping up all those gaping cornholes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen what passes for "racks" in Pennsylvania -- the genetics have been completely shot out, honestly. I'm not about to judge anyone who has a wallful of dinks, no matter how tasty they may be.
Then it becomes a matter of what choices are available, fiscal and ethical, and again, that's utterly not my place to make such calls.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hookeye

Hey hey heyhey.

Anything in the preserve under 200 inches.
6500 bucks.

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I've seen what passes for "racks" in Pennsylvania -- the genetics have been completely shot out, honestly. I'm not about to judge anyone who has a wallful of dinks, no matter how tasty they may be.
Then it becomes a matter of what choices are available, fiscal and ethical, and again, that's utterly not my place to make such calls.

Post some of yours.

MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don’t know how pressed for time you are , but check out game shows in your area .
Usually a bunch of guys there , some local , that offer these services .
Got a friend who goes to Ohio and hunts public land that borders farm land .
He likes it , might be a cheaper route and get same results .
There are some places here in Va , don’t have any names but a quick search should give it to you .
Have seen some big azz racks on farms .
Kenneth

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Most of my most cherished hunts have no tangible “trophy”. Some of the best times and greatest adventures of my life have nothing to memorialize them with. Those precious memories only live as long as those that were there.

I’m sentimental when it comes to hunting, fishing and spending time with loved ones in the wild country and I certainly don’t expect everyone to be. If a big rack on the wall is what you want and you ain’t breaking any laws then enjoy.

I view your quest as nothing more than a very hands on approach to interior decorating with the added benefit of being able to eat your artwork before you display it. 😁

I can’t help you with your question about a decent ranch but it looks like you got some good suggestions. I do hope you post pictures and details of the buck you shoot. 👍

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by renegade50

Hey hey heyhey.

Anything in the preserve under 200 inches.
6500 bucks.

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That place was formerly known as Bellars place.
May have heard about a bit of mess years back.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mach3
Originally Posted by SKane
Is a ranch in NJ or PA even a thing?

Are you inquiring about a preserve?

Ranch, preserve. Whatever they want to call it. A place that does whitetail hunts where you can literally pick the one you want to shoot.

And you think you are a hunter making a statement like that one? So, you want to kill a big, beautiful buck with unnatural antlers to satisfy your ego, give you bragging rights about what a he-man you supposedly are to all your buddies, and have a reason to stop telling yourself, even for a moment, you have a teeny little weenie? What a pathetic admission to make to anyone including here in a forum of other men. Whatever it is you're after just don't call it hunting because it's not. What it is may simply be called VANITY. GFY.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Don’t know how pressed for time you are , but check out game shows in your area .
Usually a bunch of guys there , some local , that offer these services .
Got a friend who goes to Ohio and hunts public land that borders farm land .
He likes it , might be a cheaper route and get same results .
There are some places here in Va , don’t have any names but a quick search should give it to you .
Have seen some big azz racks on farms .
Kenneth

Good dam luck.

Most of these places are just a private land place to hunt,
A pretty high fee puts you on a stand they will try to have sold for
every day of the season.

A friend did one of these. They put him on a stand in the AM. After a long
kinda circling walk.
He wanted to hunt in in the evening.
They stuttered and stammered. Then said they couldn't use it in the afternoon.

The asshats had him trespassing!

Guy I worked with was a big whitetail buck "fan".
Bought the magazine's, hunted his heart out here trying to get a big one.
Too tight to spend the big bucks to hunt the big bucks.

Really pissed him off one day.

"If I won the lottery, and no hunt was out of my $$$ reach,
I wouldn't even try for a big whitetail. You can buy a trophy.
But where can I hunt and kill a big buck I'd feel good about?
They are either just plain pen raised, or genetically manipulated,
through targeted breeding and culling.

They are farmed.

In the natural big buck hotspots, you are hunting in shooting stands.
Places they put as many people as possible. You aren't allowed to
hunt. Just shoot what comes by. But some are actually shooting
natural deer. Not enhanced by imported bucks, and fed crap to pump
them up.

I hate Jackie Bushman and what he and his ilk have done to hunting.
It's turned into a dick measuring contest
and brought it into a "Redneck with money" circus.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by SKane
Is a ranch in NJ or PA even a thing?

Are you inquiring about a preserve?

Ranch, preserve. Whatever they want to call it. A place that does whitetail hunts where you can literally pick the one you want to shoot.

And you think you are a hunter making a statement like that one? So, you want to kill a big, beautiful buck with unnatural antlers to satisfy your ego, give you bragging rights about what a he-man you supposedly are to all your buddies, and have a reason to stop telling yourself, even for a moment, you have a teeny little weenie? What a pathetic admission to make to anyone including here in a forum of other men. Whatever it is you're after just don't call it hunting because it's not. What it is may simply be called VANITY. GFY.

You can GFY. I've done my time and effort in the woods and have had many successful legal harvests. Apparently you're illiterate also because you didn't read through my other posts. You can go eat chit.

Last edited by Mach3; 09/21/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If one wants to legally shop for antlers w a bullet or broadhead, so be it.

Making the hole in the livestock does make for a claim.

You kill it you own it.

If thats what you want, pay the price.

Know a guy local that shot an elk at a preserve ( smaller high fence eastern place ) and tried to tell folks he got it free range out west.

Thats the crap that burns me up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
No, Biggie Smalls I read the whole thing. "Legal harvests"? What a laugh. Whomever raised you to think this way ought to have had his ass kicked because he fugged it all up. There is simply no justification for a true sportsman to denigrate any animal taken under fair chase conditions nor to shoot one from a pen to hang on the wall for bragging rights with his other circle jerk buddies. Like I said, pathetic and vain. Before the "hunt" make sure you check your rifle carefully from the muzzle end.

The way life should be.
M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If one wants to legally shop for antlers w a bullet or broadhead, so be it.

Making the hole in the livestock does make for a claim.

You kill it you own it.

If thats what you want, pay the price.

Know a guy local that shot an elk at a preserve ( smaller high fence eastern place ) and tried to tell folks he got it free range out west.

Thats the crap that burns me up.

Yeah people just want to blast me because they think I want to corner a deer in a fence and shoot it. Which is absolutely NOT what I want to to do. I'll say it again. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE HIGH FENCE/PENNED.

M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bluefish
No, Biggie Smalls I read the whole thing. "Legal harvests"? What a laugh. Whomever raised you to think this way ought to have had his ass kicked because he fugged it all up. There is simply no justification for a true sportsman to denigrate any animal taken under fair chase conditions nor to shoot one from a pen to hang on the wall for bragging rights with his other circle jerk buddies. Like I said, pathetic and vain. Before the "hunt" make sure you check your rifle carefully from the muzzle end.

Shut up and read my other posts in here, miserable fugg.
I bet you're a real joy at gatherings.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tired of shooting basket racks and nothing worth mounting. Looking to pay to do my first guided hunt and shoot a really nice typical wall hanger this season.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with ranches in this general area? What are some of the best ones?

I've never been, but there are a bunch of outfitters in Western KY who will give you access to their leases and give you a fair shot at a wall-hanger buck. You might have to go for a few seasons to get the deer you are looking for, and you may have to bow hunt to do it. KY's deer season is skewed heavily in favor of archery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mach3: Pardon the Scheißevögel . As you may have been able to discern, there is a real bias against hunting deer behind fences on this forum. You'll find that a lot on deer hunting forums. I think I understand what you're looking for. Using the term "ranch" is what set them off. Also, I have not heard of anything in the states you mention.

As I understand it, you're looking for a fair chase guided hunt for whitetails. Those animals exist out here in Ohio and Kentucky. I just don't have any recommendations, but they do exist and folks come back with good results. I would do a Google search of things like "Kentucky Whitetail Guides" or "Ohio Whitetail Outfitter" or some such thing. These won't be high-fenced hunts.

Both Ohio and Kentucky have excellent Whitetail opportunities both public and private. The problem is going to be finding a booking for this year. My guess is that will be hard to find.

Some things to consider:

1) I know the AEP power lands south of Zanesville, Ohio are prime deer territory, and they're free. You just go to the office in McConnelsville and register. You can guide yourself. They have camping facilities and everything you need. There are big racks in Eastern Ohio.

2) There are several hunting preserves in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee that serve up exotics behind fences, but they also have associated guided whitetail operations that are fair chase. The closest one to me is Paul Richter's operation Shawnee Hunting Preserve outside of Portsmouth, OH. He's been in operation since at least the early 80's.

3) I don't have any guides in mind, but I do know a guy that brokers leases in my immediate area. You could look up the Parker Funeral Home in Brooksville, KY. John Parker may have leases available. I'm in a very opportunity-rich environment. Parker leases out the land adjacent to my farm. All the counties around me are ZONE 1, which means the state is trying to reduce the herd and are allowing unlimited anterless harvest. I'm about 90 minutes from Greater Cincinnati Airport. This is about a 9-10 hour drive from NJ.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It just occurred to me that this is analogous to cruising the bars, hoping to score with a beautiful, passionate woman or opting to pony up for a wild time with a a reasonable facsimile in a high-end cathouse.

Actually, the first scenario is more likely for most of us than stumbling on a real buster buck in the course of ordinary deer hunting. In the absence of good genetics and plentiful food, plus a well-balanced herd, to paraphrase John Wooters, most of us won’t live long enough to kill a really big buck by “accident”.

I had planned on going to either Kentucky or Ohio this year for a chance at a big one, but circumstances forbade it. Maybe next year, but since I started thinking about it, I discovered that I can probably go to Texas and shoot a nilgai for about the same price. Lotsa tasty meat on a nilgai, I’m told.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,514 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.