GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tarbe
This thread could be a sticky!

Bringing it back up to the top.

As one who has nearly completed 64 years on God's Earth, I think there is some really sound advice to be found here.

And some pretty dang funny stuff, too! smile

If you've never seen this thread, I challenge you to read it all the way through.

Thanks Tarbe for bringing this back because I'd never seen it before. It's an interesting thread with a lot of good stuff.

Here's my advise.

NEVER EVER go into business with a liberal. They do not understand capitalism. It simply does not compute in their brain. You'll find yourself in a constant tug of war. Rush Limbaugh used to say that liberals will destroy everything they touch. Man, ain't that the truth.

P.S. - My brother and I bought him out in 2014 and it was the best business decision we ever made.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Join the Free Masons.
Don't wait as long as I did ( age 50 )
They WIll make a good man , better.

My brother in law....ex bil....was one...Cheated on my sister while he was "teaching golf lessons"..Great man...great man..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A deer friend of mine used to tell me what his old hunting partner used to say. "If you want to go into business with someone first take them on an elk hunt". I think that applies to many partnerships in life. I've learned allot about people on my trips, for sure!

Last edited by Jim1611; 09/21/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Join the Free Masons.
Don't wait as long as I did ( age 50 )
They WIll make a good man , better.

Oh, please. Some of the most devious, foul mouthed, prejudiced, crooked, hateful men I knew were of that clan.

Be not deceived, Jesus & the Word of God is the ONLY purification source we benefit from.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

This is perhaps the finest question I've ever seen asked around the Campfire.

One thing most of us over 60 could probably do is write a book about "if we had it to do over again."

My personal advice would be to invest invest invest and always, ALWAYS, live below your means. New cars and overly large houses are a massive waste of money. Stay out of debt at all costs.

Secondly, work for yourself if at all possible. The sacrifices you make early will pay-off later. And if you cannot work for yourself ... find a good company that operates on good principles and values in a recession/depression proof industry and stick with it. A good example of that today might be trucking. It's a growth industry, pays exceedingly well and you can be your own boss if you want. If not there are several fine companies to work for ... Southeastern Freight Lines and JB Hunt being the first two that come immediately to mind. There are other industries and other companies out there ... find one that you love.

... and partners are made for dancing, not for business.

Women ... bang out the beautiful ones when you are young but always be on the lookout for the really great ones, the keepers. If your lucky and your heart is in the right place you'll get lucky and find one that is both. They are rare but they are out there. My first one was exceedingly beautiful. My second one is both beautiful and good .... a great wife and mother and I try to honor her every day. Always know the difference between lust and love. One very important thing when it comes to women, especially these days, is to find one that aligns with you politically and philosophically or else you'll be miserable before you realize it and it'll be costly to get out of it. They will scar you for life - the wrong ones.

A rule to live by ... a man told me this when I was doing contract work in Central America some years ago back in the mid 80s. "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become." Never obsess or dwell on anything to the point of destruction. Always think carefully, chose your battles wisely, think forward, think ahead, do your due diligence and then make your move. Each move you make, each decision ... will define your life. Be careful about what you think about ... learn thinking discipline, be a productive thinker and feed your mind with good things. And this is important .... what you think about is what you do ... but what comes out of your mouth or off of your fingetips is the result of your thought-process. Use a filter in situations that may have consequences or repercussions .... and almost everything does these days.

Something I cannot stress enough ... control stress.

You're at your peak earning years between 35-55 ... make the most of them. Invest your earnings wisely. Take calculated risks.

Do everything in moderation. EVERYTHING EVVVVVERRRRRRRYYYYTHING. Drinking, eating, exercising .... working. Never overdue anything for any extended period to the point of obsession or addiction. NEVER. It is always destructive over time.

Work and family are equal but remember without one there is rarely the other by any successful life metric.

Life is simple - it's just not easy .... and it goes-by really fast friend. Good luck.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's some good advice; from a great man, and a pretty good football coach :

Last edited by Cruiser1; 09/21/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This was a very good thread back then, and is again. It illuminates some excellent distillations of thought and experience, and also reveals some telling differences among principles and choices.

I think that the best of it highlights self-honesty, self-reliance, self-determination and the almighty power of God. Some of the comments regarding choice of mates, friends, habits and behavior in mind and body are valuable. Although striving to grasp such things within myself even when quite young, I wish I could have seen this plain talk in those days. Thanks for the distant, but cogent, inquiry that started this.

As for the recent comments on the Masonic Order, long years of observation and experience have shown me that they, like other such endeavors, are a revealing slice of humanity. Some of the most good-hearted, generous and intentionally helpful men in life have been strong Masons - others were in it for what it would profit them to have the code, the ring and the connections. Others were simply bad acting phonies. Nothing new, one way or the other.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of good advice here. I'm 67 and heard a lot of it when it mattered, thanks to a great Mom and Dad. A whole lot of what's been posted here can be found in the Book of Proverbs. Read that book frequently and it will point you in the right direction.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, talk is cheap and your actions speak louder than your talk.
Act, don't react, always pitch in when a dirty job needs to be done, laziness is not God's way.
Kindness is far reaching, and is God's way.
My personal opinion is keep your indoor time to a minimum.
Never apologize for being dirty , sweaty and the hardest worker out there. God likes that. Cheers.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lots of great advice given, I'll add to put in some time staying in shape.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A 42 year old guy will be my age (75) in the blink of an eye. Time goes faster each year your on this earth. Plenty of time to change your windage and elevation. Pay yourself first. That's something I forgot most of my first 40 years of so. Up until that time I lived a little higher on the hog, then I should have. I had a good life, but not much to show for it. Then several of my friends and co workers started to retire. That set me to thinking about my own situation. I made a few adjustments in my spending and lifestyle habits.
I got the opportunity to retire early at 51 and took it. Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. I worked part time on my own terms off and on for another ten years.
Pay yourself first. Live within or below your means Get rid of debt. None of this would have been possible, if I had stayed on my original path. It is best to start early but there is always plenty of time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greg Norman, the golfer and ultra successful businessman gave some advise 30+ years ago which stuck with me.

"When your 20, figure out where you want to be at 40 and work backwards to make it happen. At 40, figure out where you want to be at 60 and make it happen. At 60, figure out where you want to be at 80 and make it happen".

If your 20, and at 40 you want to married, have house and kids, coach Little League in the Spring and hunt in the Fall. Make it happen. Then, if you want to retire at 60, work your plan and make it happen. If you want to travel between 60 and 80, do it.

Work hard when you're young, save for later, but smell a few roses along the way. More importantly, know when it is "later"! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

" Desiderata - Words for Life

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

— Max Ehrmann, 1927 "

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It never ceases to amaze me how much I've turned into my father and even my grandfather.

Be a good example to your children.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mauser98
I've being married to the same woman for 41years. My advice for a long and loving relationship is:

Don't make eye contact.

And, when you're wrong, admit it.
When you are right, for God's sake keep your mouth SHUT.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Loose lips sink ships"

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Health becomes more important as you age. People in their 20's and 30's may feel invincible but father time will eventually catch up with you. My best advice for younger people is to not use tobacco products. Having good healthy lungs makes doing almost everything much easier when you hit the 60's and beyond.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 09/21/21.

living the good life every day
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Not 60 but I have lived, won, lost, and won again...What I learned is somethings that you think will last, can easily become temporary and vanish.

If you allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself for too long, you’re wasting time that could be spent recovering what you lost. Move forward - not back...

Once you regain it, you’ll appreciate it more, protect it better, and be more aware of the signs of trouble, making adjustments to prevent the past.

A good lady is gold...A bad woman will wreck your castle. Pick wisely!

🦫
This, also don't hold grudges sometimes that person can end up be a good friend.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by silver78
Well I'm not 60 but 50 is well in my rear view mirror so I figured I would let you know something I would have done differently.

My wife & I have been together a long time and we both grew up w/o a lot of money which meant we did not have as much stuff as others during our school years. We both managed to go through college and got good jobs. Since we did not have a lot when we were young we bought "stuff" (clothes, stereos, tvs etc...) as soon as we could afford it. When we had children we bought them lots of stuff too. Then one day we woke up and realized that our house was full of a lot of "stuff" much of which we never used. Thus, our attitude has changed. Over the past few years we have tried to let go of some of the excess stuff we already have and buy less new stuff. We have been moderately successful. There is an exception to this - we really like our pictures of friends/family more. It's the memories we value most now.

I hope this helps a bit.

Nine years have passed since I made this post. I guess my thoughts are a bit different today. 60 is now in the rear view mirror. So instead of mentioning what I would do differently I will suggest what you need to prepare for.

Loss.

In the past four years I have lost a number of friends and family. Many of those who passed were the folks who lived hard. Smoked/drank a lot. It really makes a difference. But a number of the folks who passed just drew the short straw on life.

In August my family did a 2fer. That's where you bury two family members on the same day. My cousin and my sister in law. The kicker is that I watched two fathers and mothers bury their children that day. That was a suckfest.

Meanwhile my brother is battling stage 4 cancer. He's down to about 100 pounds. Looks like an anorexic on a diet.

I am not looking for any sympathy here. My story is not unusual. Just want to point out what's going to happen as you age. Either you die young or your friends die. Everyone dies in the long run.

Last edited by silver78; 09/21/21.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.