-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's always a bright side. Hint.(grin)

Haven't bought a Blued Rifle since yesterday and I reckon I could do an "experiment",though I know how these things end. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Strikes me as a 22 PPC AFI Donor and likely yet another 20". Hint.

Thinking prolly a 1-6x HD Lit Bitch in MQ(of course). If only for conversation. Hint.

Got Wayne on the horn yesterday and he's shipping his metal floorplate,though he's out of follower springs. I asked that he send the magbox and bottom any way,as I'd probably have something that'll crossover as a follower spring. Will likely chop this spout,later in the day,after I open up more Mail. Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick

After playing with that one a bit, give us a rundown on it. Should be an interesting little rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like nitride, preferably over SS like my Knight UltraLite ML. Have two that are Cerakoted, a Howa Alpine and a CZ O/U. That stuff is okay, but will wear off of contact areas and can be scratched, so I treat it like blued. Mostly, it’s for the color.

Legacy really futzed up when they decided to replace SS with Cerakote. Saw a nice SS Mini online the other day, but the dang thing was in OZ, not here. C’mon Legacy, you’re losing sales on this, no doubt about it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Birds of a feather. Ooooopsie! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The one parkerized chrome-moly rifle I've had for 30 years easily beats all the other blued chrome-moly rifles I have for weather resistance, wear and gives a nice flat no-shine finish. It doesn't scratch as easy as my cerakoted stainless barrels. Bead blasted stainless using coarse beads is even more durable and not too shiny.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 09/26/21.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All "new" to me. Hint................

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pretty dry here but it ain't Paradise! Bluing doesn't protect against anything. Only coating does that. I have stainless rifles and I have blued rifles. I recognized that stainless and synthetic was better for bad weather and low maintenance, 45 years ago. Nonetheless, I still build and use blued steel and wood stocked rifles. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Wax on bluing works pretty well

This worked well for me on some backpack hunts in Colorado in the snow and just the condensation that forms.

It may take some more applications of wax though while on a sure enough wet Alaskan hunt and running a patch with Hoppes or light oil then a dry patch down the bore every so often. This my slightly effect your zero though.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Not all blueing is created equal. Gawdy as it may be, I'd expect a lot better rust resistance from the high-polish bluing on a Weatherby MK V, Browning A-Bolt Medallion, Win (USRAC) XTR's, etc. than I would from a 700 SPS.

Circa late-90's a buddy took his Kimber of Oregon 89 to Alaska on a caribou hunt. It was orange by the 2nd morning. He bought several SS/Syn rifles upon his return from AK.

I hunted caribou on the N Slope of the Brooks in '11. There was more danger of the rifles rusting in the hard-case on the plane flights than there was while we were hunting. We all had SS rifles, but, I'm pretty sure we could've easily completed the hunt with bbl'd actions of carbon steel "in the white" sans any rust.

I’m a big fan of stainless in conjunction with Eezox or Corrosion-X. Stainless and Cerakote is maybe the best option.

If it is blued, I believe the deep gloss bluing is best. The Remington SPS is simply Horrible!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 10/12/21.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

SS wins hand down every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Stainless and Birdsongs Black T for the win! I have hunted a lot on Admiralty, Chichagof, Douglas, Haines, and Juneau. Blued guns just don't hold up. Your son went on a short trip one time. It is great that it worked out well for him and you are sold on Bluing. But that is a very very small sample size and period of time to come to the conclusion you have in my opinion.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 10/12/21.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Really? Blued rifles that have withstood harsh conditions are a small sample size?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Really? Blued rifles that have withstood harsh conditions are a small sample size?

I see reading comprehension isn't you forte!

Yes one rifle on a few weeks hunt in AK is like I said, a very very small sample size and period of time to come to the conclusion you have in my opinion.

Now if you want to talk about guns from everyone in general we can certainly talk about that. But it is still a uphill battle! Anyone that has spent any decent amount of time in the rain forest of SE AK knows they are going to get corrosion on blued rifles. Sure if you are only a day hunter maybe you can preserve a blued gun. But if you are spending weeks at a time in the field year after year there is no way you are going to keep a blued gun from corrosion. Now I never said sever pitting or exfoliation, I said corrosion!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We are talking about guns and blueing in general. But apparently your sample size of 1 kicks that to pieces? My reading comprehension is fine. Your conclusion is out to lunch. And of course any bafoon can ruin a rifle. That’s hardly an endorsement for painted rifles.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

SS wins hand down every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Stainless and Birdsongs Black T for the win! I have hunted a lot on Admiralty, Chichagof, Douglas, Haines, and Juneau. Blued guns just don't hold up. Your son went on a short trip one time. It is great that it worked out well for him and you are sold on Bluing. But that is a very very small sample size and period of time to come to the conclusion you have in my opinion.

Bingo! The only thing I can add is that hard chrome ala Ron Mahosky's Metalife has proven to be corrosion proof and more durable than Black T. You just haveta watch the bores.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Surface rust is cosmetic ... rust in a bore or chamber is a problem. Stainless for the win! Hell, I had a blued rifle rust in the bore simply from bringing a cold gun into a warm house. Any copper in the bore reacts with the steel when moisture is present and pits the schit out of it too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,116
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.