Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Does anyone have experience with either/both of the Kifaru and Ti-Goat Stoves and can comment on the pluses and minuses of each?

I am just starting to research them and havent decided on the size of stove I want yet ...

Is one particularly easier to assemble and take down in the field than the other?

Is one "tougher" than the other?

Is one generally more airtight than the other?

Thanks for any insight ...

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
hmt ,

I have the titanium goat cylinder stove but have yet to fire it.

It sets up ok basically from what i see -the more compact the more set-up time.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
hmt- I've got two Kifaru's...the large and the small...I've only got a few fires through the small, but the large has been burned upwards of 50x with no signs of wear at all. I'll bet that both will outlast me and I'm only 35.

The Kifaru's are not airtight and need to be fed regularly...every 10-15 min's or so for the small and 20-25 for the large...if you need to boil water, a steady supply of finger sized or smaller wood does the trick.

Last edited by ken999; 08/15/07.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Kifaru stoves seem to be very, very expensive. What benefit do they provide that would offset the extremly high price?

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/17/07.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Between my bud and I we have a (Kifaru) 4 man with small stove and an 8 man with large stove, Mannlicher: the benifites are durability, weight, and packability.
MIke

IC B2

5x5 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The kifaru stoves are less than the comparable Ti Goat stove. If you were comparing to a regular wood stove for a tent it would be bulk and weight. -Ian

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Kifaru's never really seemed expensive when I've been sitting around poking wood to them in my tee-shirt while it was 0 out...

Beats cold camping.

What are you comparing the Kifaru's to Mannlicher?

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Does anyone have experience with assembling any of the Kifaru or Ti-Goat stoves?

Is it a 3 minute ordeal, 10 minute or 30 minutes of lost screws???

Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far ... good stuff ...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've set up large and small Kifaru stoves and the Ti goat cylinder. The first time is a little tough to get the stove pipe to curl smoothly without bending, expecially the smaller diameter Ti pipe on the goat stove. Once it's been burned in, your good to go in about five with all of them.
Don

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks Doc ... I have been really curious about the "fiddle factor" ...

I think I might start with the Ti Cylinder Stove ... but get it in the extended version like that mentioned by one of the other members on the board ... the screen name escapes me at the moment ...

IC B3

5x5 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
HMT,
There's one for sale on the Kifaru forums
Ti Goat 18" cylinder stove

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
thanks 5x5 ... I have to wait about 2-3 months before I can buy the stove ... just planning at the moment ... I'll keep it in mind in case it is still available ...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was not impressed with the Ti Cylinder Stove, to many parts to lose in the field. I sent it back.
I've switched to a less packable, but more reliable stove for a "camp" situation. I carry a down bag+pad, bivy, & sil-tarp; for the occational over-nighter away from camp. Much lighter (less than 5lbs total), and you can still enjoy an old fashion camp fire.

The 4-man Kifaru (or para-tipi) and small stove, is a sweet set up, but it's still weight you have to carry. 9lbs + bedding.

I am solo a lot though.

Now split between 2 guys I would take the Kifaru system every time.

Last edited by MarkG; 08/25/07.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
hmt, are you wanting a stove that callapes or just a small light stove? If you are interested in just a small light stove I have made one that works ex. and is small and light. It packs small and all the stove parts fit in the stove to save space. My stove w/ pipe, baffle, and dampner weighs right at 2# 2oz. and cost around $40.00 to build, it measures 61/2hx4wx91/4L. If interested I can get some pics.--Allen--

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Allen ... I'm all ears ... what ya got??? smile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I will get some pic's and put them up. With some details.--Allen--

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Done Tx.

Now you have to tell the story. Nice baffle plate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks Allen/Woods ... I'm planning on adding the Ti-Goat stove jack to a GoLite Hut 2 I recently purchased ... I might see if I can make something similar to this stove since my gear budget is depleted again for a few months ...

As a side note ... GoLite is clearing out all of there shelters to make way for a complete new line for next year ... so anyone wanting a Hex or Hut or xyz might want to take advantage of some of the deals some of the gear sites are offering ...

I've got my eye on next years "4 Person" tipi instead of this years hex to get the little bit of extra room when hunting with a buddy ... and hopefully the Hut 2 will work out for solo use ...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
not much to write up. I got the stove pipe and dampner from Ti Goat and the stove is a colman fuel can. The baffle is just a piece of tin with the hail screen attached and then riveted to the stove. Just make sure that the front lip is lower than the inside baffle so the smoke will draw up the pipe. The legs are just alum. arrows. It works just as well sitting on the ground. This stove works ex. in my Vertex 5, and as I said before it only weighs 2# .2 oz and I think I could save some with a lighter inside baffle if I had shopped around better. oh well. It all packs inside of the stove and I also keep my tent stakes and a pair of stove gloves in it also, with a little room to spare. Best of luck!!--Allen--

H
hmt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
thanks Allen!

I figured the pics would pretty much tell the story ...

time to start experimenting ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.