Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, Lansky.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Yep, Lansky.

Cool.

If accurate bevels aren't your thing...carry on...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

I used one for a long time and got good results but haven't in nearly a decade since I learned how to sharpen by hand from watching the guy in the video and maybe a couple of others. Bought an India stone, a bottle of mineral oil, and a pack of knives from the dollar store and went to town.

IF someone gave me a jig now I'd re-gift it, but many if not most prefer to go that route. Regardless of what you use, you have to sharpen all the way to the edge which I think the poster I replied to was probably not doing. Gotta make that flat disappear, raise a burr, whatever. You can't just guess and get anywhere.

Accurate bevels? Nice cosmetically, but irrelevant to cutting stuff. Consider a chisel or a plane blade which is beveled on one side and flat on the other. Serious woodworkers make them razor sharp.

Obsession with angles keep people from learning how to free hand sharpen. They know no one can hold a perfect angle and believe that to be a requirement. It isn't. Bringing two planes together to an apex and getting rid of what burrs you created in the process is.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/17/21.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Anyone, a leather strop is often mentioned, can a leather belt be used for this??

Molon Labe
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A belt can be used, but it should have a solid backing and typically you should use stropping compound, so it would probably become dedicated. It can be used in a pinch without compound, but I'd just as soon recommend newspaper with a solid backing for the one off situations. Probably easier to just get your hands on a 2 to 3 in wide strip of leather and attach it to a backing permanently.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Got a Lansky - not getting near the level of sharpness I'd like with it. I need to keep working on it.

Might be I'm simply not doing enough with each stone. What's a "normal" number of passes to make?

Teal ,

A small tip on the Lansky , they have a little ''slop'' when the control rod passes through the hole letting the rod move slightly up&down . I put a paper towel over or under the rod to keep it on a more consistent stroke . The slop likely doesn't matter much but I figure 'why not' .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the search engines....

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I sharpen quite a lot of knives because i forge and make my own. I invested in a set of diamond stones. These are completely worth the investment. It sure takes a lot of work out of the job.

I lay the knife down with the spine facing away from me and raise the spine til i find the angle i want. then bring the blade edge towards me. I go till i can feel a burr on one side, then flip and place the other face on the stone, blade towards me.

When im sure that i have the angle along the complete edge, i will switch to a finer grit.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Teal
Got a Lansky - not getting near the level of sharpness I'd like with it. I need to keep working on it.

Might be I'm simply not doing enough with each stone. What's a "normal" number of passes to make?

Teal ,

A small tip on the Lansky , they have a little ''slop'' when the control rod passes through the hole letting the rod move slightly up&down . I put a paper towel over or under the rod to keep it on a more consistent stroke . The slop likely doesn't matter much but I figure 'why not' .

And make sure that the blade is very tight in the clamp so it does not move.
I bought my Lansky at a gun show in the early 80s, and have sharpened many knives and 100s of broadheads with it.

NRA Patron
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Also for stropping a cardboard box works especially if you have some kind of compound.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I vary how I sharpen a blade based on it's grind. For the Scandi knives, I use Japanese water stones. For the regular style, my EdgePro Apex system gets the nod. The convex edge knives are stropped. All knives are not the same, and can't be sharpened the same way.

+1

I use an Edge Pro Apex as well.......best money spent in a long time!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

I used one for a long time and got good results but haven't in nearly a decade since I learned how to sharpen by hand from watching the guy in the video and maybe a couple of others. Bought an India stone, a bottle of mineral oil, and a pack of knives from the dollar store and went to town.

IF someone gave me a jig now I'd re-gift it, but many if not most prefer to go that route. Regardless of what you use, you have to sharpen all the way to the edge which I think the poster I replied to was probably not doing. Gotta make that flat disappear, raise a burr, whatever. You can't just guess and get anywhere.

Accurate bevels? Nice cosmetically, but irrelevant to cutting stuff. Consider a chisel or a plane blade which is beveled on one side and flat on the other. Serious woodworkers make them razor sharp.

Obsession with angles keep people from learning how to free hand sharpen. They know no one can hold a perfect angle and believe that to be a requirement. It isn't. Bringing two planes together to an apex and getting rid of what burrs you created in the process is.

I’m totally with you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

I won a contract on the Hibernia project in Newfoundland in 1992...
On the Terra Nova in 1997...
The White Rose in 2000...
ETC ETC
All to say:
Cliff was a good friend of mine.
We agreed to disagree on less things than most.
You are simply wrong...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I bought a Wicked Edge Go, very well made and probably more than I needed but very easy to use!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VinceM
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

I’m totally with you

He is correct so it would be hard not to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve used everything from whetstones to lansky type sharpeners to the Ken onion worksharp belt system. I can get a good edge on all of them but I do have my favorites.

For kitchen knives the worksharp is fast and easy. I don’t like it for nice knives or field knives, although it does work well. It will scratch your blade sides, take a bit more material off than you want, and creates a convex bevel that may be a bit harder to touch up with a stone.

For pocket and hunting knives I really like the Spyderco Sharpmaker, although it is kind of expensive for what you get. Add the diamond or CBN stones and use light pressure. It is one of the only systems that will sharpen serrations (if that’s your thing). It is probably the easiest manual system to learn. I use it for all my folders and outdoor knives.

Plain flat stone also works, within the limit of the users skill. I usually have a small dmt diafold or similarly handy for field sharpening.

I have achieved good results with the lansky type systems, but I don’t like them, as they are pretty labor intensive on the setup. I have never used the kme, wicked sharp, edge pro, etc. they all have their fans.

If all my sharpeners were gone and I had to start from scratch I would buy the Sharpmaker with diamond rods plus two diamond stones. A large double sided bench stone (C/F) for chisels, plane blades, general use, and a small double sided diafold (C/F) for field touchups.

Last edited by K1500; 09/21/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.