24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: George_De_Vries_3rd] #16455393 09/21/21
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 16,507
Pugs Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 16,507
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Time to jump start this thread. Today, I was in the Sioux Falls Scheels and picked up some Federal 16ga. Loads. How different from a year ago.

However, the rifle and shotgun ammo shelves are still not full, but a cursory guess would be ~50-60% which still means a lot of ammo if they have what you want. I normally buy Fiocchi’s but other than 28’s they were not available. No problem, I’ve always used different brands, though usually stay with 5’s and 6’s and away from magnums.


Excellent - I was slightly concerned but figured 3-4 boxes of 12 ga #6 would be around someplace. Looking forward to it


Difference of opinion leads to enquiry, and enquiry to truth; Thomas Jefferson - 13 March 1815
BP-B2

post deleted [Re: dukxdog] #16455465 09/21/21
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,668
Reba Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,668
post deleted

Last edited by Reba; 09/21/21.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: ruffcutt] #16455783 09/21/21
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
George_De_Vries_3rd Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
There will always be pockets of birds, but a lot of CRP was cut for emergency haying and grazing. Even sloughs have been mowed. Recently driven the state north to south and east to west without seeing a bird from the road, not that I was particularly looking but not to have any fly across you at windshield level was unusual.


That is rather sobering. When did the mowing take place? Would this be late spring into summer? Chicks big enough to sit still and be killed,..or get away?

Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: Pugs] #16455792 09/21/21
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
George_De_Vries_3rd Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Time to jump start this thread. Today, I was in the Sioux Falls Scheels and picked up some Federal 16ga. Loads. How different from a year ago.

However, the rifle and shotgun ammo shelves are still not full, but a cursory guess would be ~50-60% which still means a lot of ammo if they have what you want. I normally buy Fiocchi’s but other than 28’s they were not available. No problem, I’ve always used different brands, though usually stay with 5’s and 6’s and away from magnums.


Excellent - I was slightly concerned but figured 3-4 boxes of 12 ga #6 would be around someplace. Looking forward to it


I cannot imagine they won’t have 12’s when you get there. It’s their #1 seller. And don’t let this thread dampen your enthusiasm. You’ll have a great time — fine companions, fine guns, good dogs, and the satisfaction of a “refreshing” physical weariness of long walks in premier pheasant country. I’m sure you will get in the birds.

Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: George_De_Vries_3rd] #16456078 09/21/21
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,823
S
sdgunslinger Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
S
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,823
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
There will always be pockets of birds, but a lot of CRP was cut for emergency haying and grazing. Even sloughs have been mowed. Recently driven the state north to south and east to west without seeing a bird from the road, not that I was particularly looking but not to have any fly across you at windshield level was unusual.


That is rather sobering. When did the mowing take place? Would this be late spring into summer? Chicks big enough to sit still and be killed,..or get away?



govt doesnt allow haying or grazing of CRP until after the main nesting season , around August 1

any cattails mowed off would usually be pretty late in the summer

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 09/21/21.
IC-A

Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: dukxdog] #16456188 09/21/21
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,752
R
ruffcutt Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
R
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,752
Yes, I think the haying started mid-July up until just recently. As you know we had a tremendously hot and dry June. Hot and dry is probably more conducive for brood raising vs cold and wet is the only good thing.


"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: ruffcutt] #16456268 09/21/21
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
George_De_Vries_3rd Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002

Hottest couple of weeks here, in June, that I recall.

Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: George_De_Vries_3rd] #16457471 09/22/21
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,767
B
battue Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,767
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd


I cannot imagine they won’t have 12’s when you get there. It’s their #1 seller. And don’t let this thread dampen your enthusiasm. You’ll have a great time — fine companions, fine guns, good dogs, and the satisfaction of a “refreshing” physical weariness of long walks in premier pheasant country. I’m sure you will get in the birds.




Yesterday I had a short conversation with a Fiocchi VP about possibly getting target ammo shipped directly to my house...The answer was..."Sorry we don't do that."

Anyway, he said they are currently emphasizing hunting ammo...both shotgun and centerfire. However, they are backed up on committed orders...If I could look around and obtain my needs before I arrived to hunt....I'm sure it would be the best option.

Last edited by battue; 1 minute ago.


laissez les bons temps rouler
Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: dukxdog] #16457722 09/22/21
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,537
B
BKinSD Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,537
The lodges banded together and put in a single order for truckloads of ammo, so they feel like their bases are covered in that regard. i looked around this weekend and saw a few shells on the shelves. If you guys get out here and need some 16, I know where to get some.

The emergency haying should be no surprise to anyone: https://www.rounds.senate.gov/newsr...to-emergency-grazing-and-haying-policies for example. Lots of people are short of feed for their herds going into fall. Stuff's going to get hayed as a result. Lots of trucks on the roads moving cattle and hay right now.

Had a conversation up at the Y this morning about there being some late nesting and seeing chicks resulting from that. I've driven some over the first half of the month and hit two pheasants with my pickup, so there are some birds out there. We don't have the kind of thick cover at our usual spot that will keep birds into the winter like we did last year but we're not limited to hunting only that place either.


"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Re: South Dakota Pheasants 2021 [Re: Pugs] #16457889 09/22/21
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
George_De_Vries_3rd Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,002
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Time to jump start this thread. Today, I was in the Sioux Falls Scheels and picked up some Federal 16ga. Loads. How different from a year ago.

However, the rifle and shotgun ammo shelves are still not full, but a cursory guess would be ~50-60% which still means a lot of ammo if they have what you want. I normally buy Fiocchi’s but other than 28’s they were not available. No problem, I’ve always used different brands, though usually stay with 5’s and 6’s and away from magnums.


Excellent - I was slightly concerned but figured 3-4 boxes of 12 ga #6 would be around someplace. Looking forward to it


Thanks for the perspective BK.

Pugs, your outfitter is sure to have some then also. But, FYI, on the same street as Scheels, but further east on the same 41st street, another gun shop, though small and privately owned, should also have 12’s. Gary’s Gun Shop. On the way to Scheels from the airport.

They usually have a rounded glass-enclosed display of higher-end guns, usually mostly rifles — hat tip to Jorge.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/22/21.
IC-B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
350 registered members (10gaugemag, 257heaven, 260madman, 222ND, 264mag, 2701jim, 51 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 895 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.31 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 15 (0.002s) Memory: 0.8259 MB (Peak: 0.9428 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-10-25 04:59:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS