Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Funny thing this should come up! I just bought a Hav-a-Hart trap for a skunk (or family of same) that have tagged my Brittany Spaniel 3X in the past month, most memorably last evening. Yeah, I know, I know... Brittany's ain't the sharpest tools in the shed, but she is hell on quail and pheasant, so I guess I'm gonna keep her.

Anyways, I was wondering what the best bait might be, and had figured a .22 to the guts would be the best option for keeping the overspray minimized...

I, too, will keep y'all posted.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cat food will catch them….but it’ll catch possums, raccoons, and your neighbor’s cat. LOL

They loved my cattle sweet feed…..why I used to catch them in a barrel. I’d prop a board on it and scatter some sweet feed in there. I’d give it a cautious peek in the morning. The raccoons could jump out, but not the possums or skunks.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I haven't seen that rascal since!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HunterShooter58: I have a "hole" pre-dug at all times for Skunks that make the mistake of nearing Casa de la Varminto!
In fact my Varminting friend and I saw one just this past week nearing my place as we returned from dinner (no guns onboard!).
We looked for it next day and since but it must have moved on.
Unlike Huntsman22 I use enough gun (my preference is the 17 HMR) and I shoot them in the head - haven't had a spray situation since I began using this method back when the 17 HMR came out (2,002) and I got my ultra accurate Ruger 77/17 HMR heavy barrel.
I shoot two or three of these stinking nest robbing invaders every year.
Again, have a burial hole ready before you take action.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
VarmintGuy,

Good Info Thanks! I'M Tempted!

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For whatever reason I see more skunks in September and March than any other months.I suppose they are staging for winter or looking for mates...ran into one a few mornings ago.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
For whatever reason I see more skunks in September and March than any other months.I suppose they are staging for winter or looking for mates...ran into one a few mornings ago.

Yep. I agree. I have them around my place right now. Saw a momma and 3 'lil ones crossing my borrow ditch, but they caught me unprepared. Live trap, dog food and sardines always works.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gsganzer: A close friend of mine (my insurance agent) and his adult son both own ranches they run "on the side", north of town.
They were being troubled by Skunks spraying their ranch dogs, children, grandchildren and buildings.
They decided to Hunt the Skunks at night with spotlights and their 17 HMR Gopher guns.
I do know they killed 35 of them over several nights and only a few sprayed after being shot - I do NOT know if they tried to head shoot them or body shots?
Next time I see him I'll ask him.
Reminds me of the situation the VarmintWife got into a few years back our beloved dog (Chocolate Lab AKC registered name Henry Aaron Gibbons - Hank for short) was let out to pee just before the VarmintWife was to head for her administrative job at the local school. The dog got in a fist fight with a Skunk and was sprayed.
We had on hand the product "Skunk-Off" and the VarmintWife took off most of her clothes and bathed Henry as best she could with it.
Eventually off she goes to work and the Principal of the school sent her home she smelled of Skunk so bad!
We had to re-bathe the VarmintWife in Skunk-Off and regular soaps several times to de-oderize her.
She went back to work the next day to some good natured ribbing.
Skunk spray is simply HORRIFIC as well as long lasting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come to find out that tomato juice doesn't work. MacGregor, my yellow lab, didn't respond to four letter words as he lit out after a skunk back in my youth. Mom was having a dinner party that night and the dog and I had to keep a very low profile. I've since learned that a way better recipe is some hydrogen peroxide, Dawn dish soap and water. Rinse and repeat.

My favorite skunk juice story was back when we put it out around or bow stands for a cover scent. I ordered a glass bottle of the stuff which was a whole bunch more than I needed. A buddy thought having some of his own skunk juice would be good, so he brought along a plastic bottle one Saturday afternoon when we were shooting our bows. He put his juice in the back seat of the car, a Cadillac of all things and forgot about it. It turns out that plastic is a permeable enough membrane to not contain skunk juice effluvia. He was not real popular with the wife the next morning when they were headed off to church.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, have had a few skunk episodes (dogs). Lived so far in the bush I had to come out to hunt, left dog smooth coat German pointer out side. Was headed to work and he was acting like he thought he was going for a car ride. I told him to get under the porch and stay. He obeyed really good but came back out with a semi dead skunk in his jaws. Had to stay home that day because we had real estate coming. When we trapped (not skunks) if we got one in a trap we'd make a snare on a long pole, loop it over there head and yank them of there feet carry them over to a beaver pond and dunk them in. Never got sprayed. This skunk was of the ground but I don't think he read the no spray instructions. We're we just lucky or does this off the ground thing really work???? Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Skunks are on the move here saw a HUGE one Saturday evening - didn't know they got that big .
Saw two ran over on the road Sunday , one more roadkill yesterday and a guy at the liquor store drive thru window said one was crossing the road in front of him right then .

It dawned on me - all the many hours I've spent outdoors I've never seen a skunk . I've trapped/hunted/fished a lot - never seen or caught one .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had one in the garden at dads back in the 70s, grabbed the ol'270 and 110 Sierras thinking it might keep him from spraying. Ended up with a head on shot at about 30 yards. What was left kept things smelling bad for quite awhile.

C
C
Few people understand that having a dog, you have to maintain a special active lifestyle, walk it, especially feed it, train it. But for many people having a dog is a kind of a living shield from the world around them, something like a gun in your pocket, which no-no-no, but is drawn to use, well at least pull it out and show that you have it. On one site I (I'll report later, that one https://pestcontrolweekly.com/) found a means to scare away rodents and skunks. It was the best I could imagine. Those things [bleep] all over the place. How I want to get back at them so they don't come anywhere near my yard.

Last edited by Coilavana; 10/26/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After a few years of terminating them in my yard/pasture, I learned the hard lesson that no matter where you shoot them or with what, sometimes they spray and sometimes they don’t. You can get as scientific as you want and get as much advice as you want, but rules 1 through 5 are “shoot them downwind of the house”.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Used to indirectly supervise (I supervised the animal control supervisor) a county wide animal control program. We dealt with skunks. One of the keys was a calm low key approach. Covering a live cage trap with an old tarp to relocate and then dumping entire thing in water works surprisingly well. If you cover the box trap with something, the skunk will try to pull it inside if it can and has time to do so. A lot of serious trappers used to inject skunks with syringe full of sodium .... can't remember to kill them in way they wouldn't spray and they could extract the scent for lures. Key for them to was slow and easy. Don't spook or excite them. Our most experienced animal control officer once responded to a cemetery. Crew had dug grave night before. They went the next day to set up tent right before the funeral to find a skunk in the grave. He was able to get the skunk out with a catchpole and get it completely out of cemetery without it spraying. They were very thankful and impressed. Of course it unloaded full blast on him when he tried to put it in the truck box though... ;-) and he came to my office to tell me about it!

Last edited by Rangersedge; 10/30/21.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
LOL!
Interesting!
My little friend hasn't been back, at least I haven't seen him!

Great info, and Story!

Thanks!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
LOL!
Interesting!

Great info, and Story!

Thanks!

Maybe he sensed your vibes.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The recipe is
Hydrogen peroxide
Baking soda
A tablespoon of dawn

Mix immediately before using
Leave paste on 5 minutes
Rinse

Keep paste away from mouth, eyes, ears.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
LOL!
Interesting!

Great info, and Story!

Thanks!

Maybe he sensed your vibes.

DF

I think your right!
I did get a wiff, of one, when I came home in the Late afternoon, the other Day.
I mentioned it to my wife, and she said the same thing.
It's possible that he's stuck some where like a sewer Catch Basin, or maybe just sprayed, and is defending himself.

I got a feeling, were gonna have a show Down soon!
I'll keep ya posted! LOL!

HS58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thankfully we don’t have any around my house

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.