Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Looking for a competent smith to install on my 700 with a .473 bolt face. Thanks

Last edited by Nestucca; 09/21/21.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This is a controversial issue. Some say a Sako is prone to flying back into the shooters face. Then there are those that like the M-16 extractor. Both work well, I've done both for myself with no issues with either. I think the Sako is smoother and less fussy.

Either way, I would go to accurateshooter.com, and do a search for carlsbad (user name). He does great work and is fast turnaround.

When I say smoother, they are more "tunable" IMO. I have a old Farley action that has reliably pulled everything I have fed it and didn't send the case into the next zip code. Many new custom action use a Sako style extractor. The M-16 is positive and reliable, but I haven't worked with mine enough to find out how it will respond to tuning.

Some offer actions that will pull and eject either PPC cases or BR cases. Only one I have seen does it well.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 09/21/21.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Looking for a competent smith to install on my 700 with a .473 bolt face. Thanks

Why?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the ejection angle on the factory extractors much better. So many m16 and sako style eject the case right into the windage turret then it bounces back into the action. I like bighorn custom actions now mainly just because of their after ejection angle.

If I wanted cases bouncing off the scope back into the action all the time I'd just use sako 85s

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it on a Rem 722 when there were no extractors available for them, it works great and turned my old 300 savage into a coyote killing 22-250.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I like the ejection angle on the factory extractors much better. So many m16 and sako style eject the case right into the windage turret then it bounces back into the action. I like bighorn custom actions now mainly just because of their after ejection angle.

If I wanted cases bouncing off the scope back into the action all the time I'd just use sako 85s

Bb

+1

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm not up to snuff on the ease of instillation or the serviceability of the 2.

But to me, the M-16 unit seems like it has a ton more availability of the two & will have for years/decades to come. Is this a plus?

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by deflave

Why?

Because after 43 years and three barrels the factory original has give up and I can’t find a OEM extractor

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jim Kobe in Bloomington has done several for me. Specifically the were done on Rem XR100 single shots. I had them rebarreled to 20 Vt and 22PPC. Neither ejected properly before the Sako extractor but did after the Sako extractor.

NRA Patron
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Why?

Because after 43 years and three barrels the factory original has give up and I can’t find a OEM extractor

That is the greatest answer in the history of answers.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kobe does great work.
The original Sako has a non rotating rail block that keeps a blown case head from sending ejector parts down the raceway. The M16 is different in that it’s pinned to the bolt. The Sako is not. Therein lies the weakness. The Sako works good but if it fails it can do damage.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N

Why?

Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Not if installed right and the springs (both extractor and ejector) tuned to work.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 09/22/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Any interest in help locating a replacement? Need a riveted or rivetless type?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294409473567?hash=item448c2c0e1f:g:DKAAAOSwzndhSMBL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334137081183?hash=item4dcc1f3d5f:g:kCYAAOSwwRdhM-Nn

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/22/21.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would be the way to go right there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've never been a fan of the original Remington spring clip extractor. In 223 it'll scar the case heads and even give trouble with Lapua cases; at least mine did. They do function as advertised and are strong enough to extract. It was a design element that was necessary to implement the "three rings of steel' advertisement. M700 actions are strong and the most copied action in history. It is easy to set up in a lathe for checking concentricity. It's easy to chamber a new barrel for. It changed the game for Benchrest competition as did the PPC. It's just not a favorite of mine. I believe the Mini 16 extractor does a decent job of extraction without damaging case heads and I also relieve some tension off the spring of the damnable plunger extractor.
I understand why Remington never did any modifications to the action but I believe many of the clones do a better job of extraction and ejection without mitigating the design elements of the M700. The days are gone when the major manufacturers were the only offerings for hunters and competitors. The same can be said with chamberings. Some of the factory chamberings have been improved on to the benefit of hunters and competitors. Todays shooting community have more choices and better choices than ever and that's a good thing. A host of great chamberings have come from shooters and copied by major firearms manufacturers that managed to create their various design faults in order to claim it for themselves.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks Boomer and Craigster. The one on eBay was used and after talking to Darrel Holland last night I asked him if we could use one I have on a donor action and he didn’t recommend it as it’s easy to screw it up during removal. I’m going to order the one Craigster found. Thanks to all that replied.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Why?

Nah, mine is..get a Model 70... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dale06: I am startled (puzzled?) at your contention regarding the XR-100's you own and shoot not "ejecting properly"!
I currently own and shoot 6 (six!) Remington XR-100's in various calibers and they ALL "eject properly"!
I am puzzled about your contention - maybe this question will clarify things - did they "eject properly" before they were "customized"?
I also have owned two other XR-100's and they also ejected properly.
The only caliber of Remington XR-100 I have not owned is the limited edition model in 308 Winchester - so can't comment on their extraction.
Puzzled here in Poughkeepsie?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.