Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend has been offered this rifle on trade. It’s in 8mm Mauser but the guy wanting to trade doesn’t know anything else about it. I know nothing about Mausers, any help is appreciated

He’s wondering what it is and a rough estimate of value

Thanks

Attached Images

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Another

Attached Images

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Another

Attached Images

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Another

Attached Images

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Last one

Attached Images

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks like a Mauser 98 of some variety, simply taken out of its as-issued furniture, rear sight removed but original barrel, and plonked into a fairly plain sporter-style stock.

Value - not much, though that will depend on who made the action (some 98s rate higher than others), and its condition. You could probably return it to as-issued reasonably readily, or throw a bit of money at it to make a decent sporter.

What markings are on the metalwork? It isn't possible to tell from the photos.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the reply

I’m not sure what’s on the metalwork. My friend forwarded me the pics in an email. I’ll see if he can get some more from the owner.

The owner wants $200 for it. I know that much.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know what they are fetching there, but $200 would be about right here, as long as it is in sound condition. If the bore is good it could make a good sporter with just a bit of work - especially if you didn't want a scope (for which you'd need to mod the bolt handle, d &t and change safety catch)

The photos you'd want would be of any markings - usually top of the receiver ring, and/or on the left side of the receiver.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks for the info

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
$200 is about right around here as well IF the bore is good, maybe a bit more if it’s from one of the better makers.

The question is what your buddy wants to do with this rifle and what he’s willing to spend and do to get there. European 8x57 ammo is expensive but it can hang with the 30-06. American 8x57 ammo cheaper but it’s loaded about like a 300 Savage. Handloads are cheap and can match European ammo, and that’s really the best way to go in this case.

The bigger issue is that this rifle has no sights and will be useless until it gets them.

The cheapest bet is to re-install original military sights, which are rugged, cheap, functional, and widely available. He could probably get parts for $100 (shipping and taxes REALLY wreck the economics of a deal like this) and do the work himself, but then he’s $300 into an iron-sighted military Mauser in a no-name stock. Not sure that’s where I’d want to be, especially since it could take considerable work to get it zeroed with a commonly-available load.

Adding commercial iron sights is not as cheap as it used to be. I’d budget $200 for parts and labor, but gunsmiths are uncommon around here and this work may less expensive somewhere else. Then he’d have $400 into an iron-sighted military Mauser—again, not necessarily a place I’d want to be.

Adding a Scout scope with an XS rail (https://xssights.com/mauser-clifton-scout-mount-rails/) requires modifying the stock. Total for parts and labor is probably close to $200 around here, and he still needs to buy a scope. Total investment for this gets really close to $650 but at least you'd have a workable rifle.

The work to mount a scope includes drilling and tapping the receiver and modifying the bolt handle. Parts include rings, bases, and a new safety. I think it would be hard to go this route for less than $200, and $300 is probably more like it. And once that’s done, you still need to buy the scope itself. Low end on that is probably $250, so the total cost looks more like $750 unless he gets lucky and scores the right parts for cheap. He'd have a rugged, useful hunting rifle when he’s done, but he could have bought a used commercial sporter with a decent scope and chambered for a common cartridge for that much money.

No matter what he does, I'd expect to wait at least a couple of months to get the rifle back from the smith--not because the work takes that long but because he'd have to get in line.

Making this rifle usable is probably not worth the cost unless your buddy can do all or most of the work himself.

All of this assumes that the bore is still good AND that there are no issues with the stock and bedding. If not, then it’s a $50 rifle.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 09/22/21.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks like 10" LOP

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I 'shopped' the photos just a bit. Poor quality pix! There's nomenclature or some such there. 'Appears' a crest or...? Just can't discern! Value... I'd not even try to guess beyond saying the stock looks like a decent salvage!
Waste of time to do more without good pix!
My take
John

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I sent all this information to my friend and he has decided to pass.

I think it’s more of a project than he is interested in

Thanks again

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.