Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Give the screw some tries and see what happens.

Doesn’t sound like you wanna put another stock on it. Most all of my P64’s have gotten McMillans but I’ve kept the Featherweights in wood, well, a couple of them.

That 300 H&H should work just perfect for cow elk. I’m always on the lookout for a 300 that I can swap into a McMillan.

I'm just the opposite. I'm always looking for just the right Mcmillan I can put my 300 in.. ha ha. I'm eyeballing one right now, but its a slightly heavy pre 64 pattern.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Give the screw some tries and see what happens.

Doesn’t sound like you wanna put another stock on it. Most all of my P64’s have gotten McMillans but I’ve kept the Featherweights in wood, well, a couple of them.

That 300 H&H should work just perfect for cow elk. I’m always on the lookout for a 300 that I can swap into a McMillan.

I'm just the opposite. I'm always looking for just the right Mcmillan I can put my 300 in.. ha ha. I'm eyeballing one right now, but its a slightly heavy pre 64 pattern.

Well, if you do ever get bored of it, let me know, my buddy in Lyle can hold it till we see each other next time. Makes the transfer easy...

Semper Fi
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My 300 will never be altered while I own it. I’m assuming I could have only afforded the 375 because someone had to “improve” it.

I have a few really light rifles based on the 700 or 721 actions. I just put light stocks on factory rifles usually but I have a couple with light barrels too.

The 300 and the 375 were made in 1953-1955 time frame if I recall correctly.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
My 300 will never be altered while I own it. I’m assuming I could have only afforded the 375 because someone had to “improve” it.

I have a few really light rifles based on the 700 or 721 actions. I just put light stocks on factory rifles usually but I have a couple with light barrels too.

The 300 and the 375 were made in 1953-1955 time frame if I recall correctly.

Its your rifle and yours to do with how you wish. Sounds like its ill shooting right now, I hope you get it figured out and can use it on your hunt..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd probably not install a diopter sight on a 300 Mag of any flavor. But for those who wish it, the following: The Lyman 48 seems generally the most popular of the breed. From 1917, three models. First 150 scale, second 125 scale and last... depending on sub model, but generally 50. 'Range diminished reflecting the fact of 'reaching out', typically with scopes! I have a few Model 70s with Lymans (including the Model 58, a $$ lesser model.
Ironically, 'arriving' installed on my pre '64 .338 Mag! Moving to a particular point concerning these fine Lyman 48 sights. The 3rd edition - limited range, but a "no inletting feature" on many rifles. Meaning no horrible stock carving to install. My .338, such style and 'achieving' no-inletting which is also subject to stock not being too thick in the sight installation area. I've also heard of folks shimming this Third Model to avoid slight inletting which, is essentially the same as 'slight pregnancy', in collector terms! smile
Some pix of my Win 70 'pre', .338 Win Mag, Super Grade w/such sight below.

Best!
John

Attached Images
R421-3U.jpg (32.03 KB, 227 downloads)
R421-8U.jpg (32.36 KB, 224 downloads)
R421-4U.jpg (28.38 KB, 224 downloads)
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
I'd probably not install a diopter sight on a 300 Mag of any flavor. But for those who wish it, the following: The Lyman 48 seems generally the most popular of the breed. From 1917, three models. First 150 scale, second 125 scale and last... depending on sub model, but generally 50. 'Range diminished reflecting the fact of 'reaching out', typically with scopes! I have a few Model 70s with Lymans (including the Model 58, a $$ lesser model.
Ironically, 'arriving' installed on my pre '64 .338 Mag! Moving to a particular point concerning these fine Lyman 48 sights. The 3rd edition - limited range, but a "no inletting feature" on many rifles. Meaning no horrible stock carving to install. My .338, such style and 'achieving' no-inletting which is also subject to stock not being too thick in the sight installation area. I've also heard of folks shimming this Third Model to avoid slight inletting which, is essentially the same as 'slight pregnancy', in collector terms! smile
Some pix of my Win 70 'pre', .338 Win Mag, Super Grade w/such sight below.

Best!
John

John, I have to ask. What does the Lyman sight have to do with this thread. However it is very cool. Start a thread on your sight and how your 338wm shoots, then I can counter with how well my m96 shoots with its aperture sight. Then when I get my front aperture from Sweden, I can then counter again with some sub moa groups.. This with irons at 100 yards. Indulge me please.. For what it is worth, I don't think this is the answer to the OP's problem. I'm trying to stay out of the convo of this thread, as he has some major mechanical difficulties going on. Simple to address for some, maybe not so simple for others...

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey BSA, A damn good question re my diopter sight remarks in this Thread! Yesterday, pinging on gunner 500 Post concerning "peep sight". Copying it & rushed response half day later in MS Word. Not checking intermediate posts having returned to the main topic... My 'Bad!' smile
Thanks for voicing what others here likely thinking!
Just going to leave it as "general info re Lyman 48!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 09/22/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, and i threw mine in because i shoot a peep sight on my 300 H&H, meaning, if i can belly flop my big ass across and bench with no rear bag and shoot 3-4 inch groups at 200 yards im GTG, also meaning, ii may not matter exactly how much, if any pressure my forearm screw is or is not applying to this particular rifle, i'd need to scope it to see the difference. cool

It all remains good, let us continue to shoot rifles, kill animals, enjoy good smoke, drink, and our women!

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have had great accuracy luck in 2 rifle with 165 gr sierra game kings that are the hollow point version. I shoot mine with 66 grains of IMR-4350, Norma brass, Fed 215 match primers. Of course work up what is safe in your rifle.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I finally got the 300 H&H out for testing after glass bedding and DBC coating. (Winchester brass)

300 H&H Winchester, Pre-64 70, 168 Nosler E-tip, 215 Primers, 67 grains IMR4350 0.81 MOA first group tested

1.3 MOA second group - but I called the high one - otherwise 1 MOA

I have a land-owner Buck permit - season opens tomorrow. I think I'll load up a box of 168 E-tips and carry the 300 H&H. I have it sighted in at 2.5" high at 100 meters. Should be dead on at 275 yards.

Funny thing is, I have not been able to get these bullets to group in my other 300's or one of my '06's. I'll be checking this rifle out more when weather permits and different seasons don't interfere

Last edited by Bugger; 11/19/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.