Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, the 375 Whitworth that I bought came into the LGS today and I picked it up.

Before I go too much further, I must say I'm happy with what I got - a Whitworth 375H&H, stainless-like finish, composite stock that looks to be a Brown Precision or older High Tech Specialties, 3 position safety on the bolt shroud, and Timney trigger.

What confuses me are the finish,and the sights. As I said the finish looks stainless. Somewhat polished at that. The entire gun is finished like this, save the bolt and bolt handle. The bolt handle is not finished like the the rest of the gun. It looks as if it may be "polished, in the white".

The sights are another thing. They are definitely not original. I question how they are attached as well. Based on some PMs with another forum member, and measurements he provided, the sights really raise some questions. The best I can tell the barrel is the original. The caliber marking looks like markings I've seen on other Whitworth 375s, and the proof marks are visible on the side opposite of the caliber marking.

In the end I'm hoping that others might recognize the sights and/or lend some insights.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might have a hard-chrome finish, or a Mahovsky's finish on it. I had a handgun with that finish and yours looks similar.

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hadn't considered it being hard chrome plated, but it does make sense.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I'd also go with hard chrome. I think the sights are hand made.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will a hard chrome finish withstand the heat needed to soften silver solder should I find that that's the way they are a secured?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Will a hard chrome finish withstand the heat needed to soften silver solder should I find that that's the way they are a secured?

I don't know, but you might call Mahovsky's and see if he can tell you.

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I don't know, but you might call Mahovsky's and see if he can tell you.

Came to the same conclusion last night when I was eyeing things over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why do you want to remove the sights? They look pretty nice to me, and handy to have on a rifle like that.

Good luck with the new rifle,
Rex

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Over the years I've had several Whitworths- 458, 375 etc. Good Mauser action rifles. Yours looks very nice to me.

I hope it works as well for you as its appearance suggests.

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
The front sight looks to be held in place with a pin so it should be replaceable. The rear sight looks like a NEG base, which should have replacement sights if you need them. I don’t know why you would want to remove the sights altogether, but to each their own. I don’t know your intended use.

NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The front sight, at least, will be removed and possibly relocated when I cut the barrel back to 20-21" (primarily to get rid of the Magna-Porting). At that point I'll likely put a barrel band front sight on. As for the rear sight, I'd like to replace it with a 3 leaf express sight that I have that is original to a Whitworth Express rifle.

I had a rather lengthy call and exchanged some photos with Mark @ NECG. Neither the front or the rear are NECG sights.

I've had a number conversations with owners of Whitworth Express rifles. During those conversations I was provided a multiple of dimensions, including the spacing of screw holes for the original sights. What is confusing, as it pertains to the rifle I have is that there are NO screw holes visible on this barrel. The front sight is not long enough to cover the original front sight screw spacing, nor is the rear sight. That leaves me believing one of two things - 1) the 'smith that installed these sights did one h3ll of a job filling in and blending the old screw holes, or 2) this barrel did not come with sights in the first place.

The other variable here is how the sights are attached and the hard chrome finish. Having talked to a firm that does hard chrome plating on firearms I am told that even the small amount of heat needed to release Force 44 solder (if that's what was used to secure the sights) will discolor the finish. Their suggestion was to remove the sights, do whatever work was necessary fit the new sights, send the barreled action to them and have the hard chrome removed. They in-turn return the barrel actions and then I could refinish it as desired when the new sights were installed. Given the platers suggestion, and the mounting cost, I may just forgo changing the sights and live with these.

FWIW, I did get out this weekend and fire a few rounds thru the gun. Handful of Rem 270gr SP to see where the irons landed shots and a few more to sight in the scope. The irons weren't too far off, but who knows what ammo was used to set them in the first place, or for that matter what previous shooters used as a sight picture. Setting up the scope was nothing out of the ordinary. One thing I will say is, it was LOUD, even with good ear protection.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You'll never hear it shooting at game.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluefish
You'll never hear it shooting at game.

Been saying that to myself for years. Maybe that's why I'm halfway deaf.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A 375 H&H Model 70 custom that I had, featured sights that were nicely regulated for 300 grain bullets at around 2500 fps. It was easy to smack the target with that load at 50 and 100 yards.

I wonder if that's common, as for decades the load for the 375 H&H was a 300 gr bullet at around 2500 fps...

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sure glad I bought one in mint shape 30 years a go for $400 before someone fugged it all up like yours is. They are really damn nice guns right out of the box. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nothing wrong with that rifle. Hard chrome finish is very durable and functional. Good sights too. You can likely replace the Front sight in the base if you want different or to increase or lower the height. You can drift the rear for windage to your load and file if needed for Height. I Like using the front sight changes first though. Get some of the worn around the neck ear plugs for hunting, quick to deploy and effective. Go enjoy!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Weather permitting, I wear the Howard Leight electronic earmuffs while hunting, they amplify sound, in stereo, and block loud noise.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Really a heck of a nice rifle you’ve got there. I’d like to see a bit more of it as well as some target photos of how she shoots. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since several have asked . . . This is a photo of the the Whitworth that has been the subject of this thread. (Seller's photo. It is now sans the buttstock shell holder.) What appears to be a Brown Precision stock (possibly a High Tech Specialties), 3-position safety , Timney trigger, hard chrome finish and the sights being discussed.

I mounted a Leupold VX5HD 2-10 FD in QR rings, on it for the time being - because I had it laying around. Took it out and shot it on Thurs with a handful of Rem 270gr SP factory loads and some reloads using 1x Rem brass, Fed 215, RL15 and 260gr NP. Rem 270s (@2720fps) shot so-so, but a couple of the RL17/260g NP loads show promise. Rifle seemed to favor 69-70gr of RL15 and the 260 NP @ 2656- 2674fps. Groups with the reloads were a respectable 1" or better at @ 100yds

After all the input I've received and some discussions with others regarding new/different sights and the potential need for refinishing after sight work is done, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and just go with it as it is........

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Have you shot this yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.