Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
We were visiting family down at Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas last summer.

Wife got nailed by a Copperhead.

It was not a good experience to say the least. Damned near lost her leg.

The only good copperhead/cottonmouth/rattler is a dead one.

Mackay, I grew up in Mtn. Home, Arkansas, between Bull Shoals Lake and Norfork Lake. Lot of water around there including rivers, creeks, and cattle ponds. When I was a kid, had a couple of very near misses with copperheads and another with a cottonmouth moccasin. A buddy was bitten on the ankle by a copperhead and as with your wife, he nearly lost his leg.

Sorry about your wife and hope she has recovered now. I agree with your assessment of poisonous snakes.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I just about stepped on this one at my camp a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had one about that size right between my feet when crossing a small creek on a big brush pile. I was standing in the middle of the brush pile, shifting my weight up and down to feel how dense the pile was, when all of a sudden, the moccasin exploded, flailing rapidly in a desperate attempt to get down into the brush pile. I wondered if I wasn’t pinning its head down as I bounced up and down on the pile. Couldn’t believe I wasn’t bit. Just about jumped out of my skin. I can tell you I now have snake boots and won’t be in the woods without them in the future. Then I almost stepped on one of its babies as I climbed the creek bank to get out of there.
[Linked Image]

Bottom picture looks more like a baby copperhead.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Glad I don't live where they do!!!

Looks like a mating ritual. Or as Tide_Change said, Brokeback Swamp.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JPro
Like others have already said, a moccasin (cottonmouth) is the most ornery and "bitey" snake around here. All outdoorsmen hate them. The Copperhead will stand his ground at times. The big watersnakes are a hoot, only because they are huge and so often not afraid of people. They'll scare the crap out of you when you think they are a big moccasin.

Local guy killed this moccasin the other day and put the pics on FB. He's a deputy and a trapper, so he runs the roads a lot. Says it's the largest he's ever come across. I've never found one that big.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[/img]

I dunno how long that one is, but Ive got an honest five footer hanging in my office from Ga. and I got a 5.5 footer in Louisiana one night.

Brother killed one that size near Sewell Creek around Marietta/Roswell in the 80’s.

He skinned it out tanned the hide on a board. Hell, he might still have it. It was a big fugker!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Had one about that size right between my feet when crossing a small creek on a big brush pile. I was standing in the middle of the brush pile, shifting my weight up and down to feel how dense the pile was, when all of a sudden, the moccasin exploded, flailing rapidly in a desperate attempt to get down into the brush pile. I wondered if I wasn’t pinning its head down as I bounced up and down on the pile. Couldn’t believe I wasn’t bit. Just about jumped out of my skin. I can tell you I now have snake boots and won’t be in the woods without them in the future. Then I almost stepped on one of its babies as I climbed the creek bank to get out of there.
[Linked Image]

That’s what I thought too, until a guy with a lot more experience with vipers corrected me. Baby cotton mouths also have the yellow tip on the tail and can appear orange in color.. Two other things about the picture confirm the fact that its a baby cottonmouth. 1. The patterns are ‘pixilated’. A baby copper head has much smoother lines on the patterns that are shaped like a Hershey’s kiss. 2. The stripe coming off the eye running back is a definite cotton mouth trait.

https://www.pilotonline.com/life/wildlife-nature/article_b5c307e0-4440-11e6-ae34-cf9f0204f3eb.html

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

[Linked Image]

That’s what I thought too, until a guy with a lot more experience with vipers corrected me. Baby cotton mouths also have the yellow tip on the tail and can appear orange in color.. Two other things about the picture confirm the fact that its a baby cottonmouth. 1. The patterns are ‘pixilated’. A baby copper head has much smoother lines on the patterns that are shaped like a Hershey’s kiss. 2. The stripe coming off the eye running back is a definite cotton mouth trait.

https://www.pilotonline.com/life/wildlife-nature/article_b5c307e0-4440-11e6-ae34-cf9f0204f3eb.html

10/4. Thanks for the lesson!!! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I read this, I have a better appreciation of shoveling snow!

Done some logging where Rattlers were thick. Every move was
planned. Every step. Every engine examined before checking the oil.
Sucks on the job.
Sure as hell ain't no way to live.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
We were visiting family down at Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas last summer.

Wife got nailed by a Copperhead.

It was not a good experience to say the least. Damned near lost her leg.

The only good copperhead/cottonmouth/rattler is a dead one.

Where are you, up in Missouri?

I was just in Bull Shoals back in June ... water is so low in that lake, the entire area is depressed, people moving out and leaving property everywhere to go wild ... snakes are on edge. We saw a few here and there along the shoreline. It was enough that I didn't allow the grandkids in the water.

We've had record setting rainfall this year here in SC ... I've never seen so many snakes, especially cottonmouths and canebrakes,. But I had one that could have got me and he didn't so I put him in a bucket and took him back through the woods to the chicken houses. I've had'em cut me slack in swamps, walking through the woods .... but when they get up close to the house and put the dogs in danger and the grandkids ... they gotta go then if they don’t slither off first time I give them the wack.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Glad I don't live where they do!!!

I have some bad news for you....I can show you a ton of cottonmouths in Georgia....

Mid 80's, In College Park, a suburb of Atlanta, my dad killed one at he edge of my uncles lawn. Big bastard that measured 54".

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
25 or so years ago, I got invited to help brush a duck blind on the middle fork of the obion River in West TN. It was a great duck place and a weekend of work meant at least one or two weekends of hunting for the upcoming season. I was broke, and this relationship made sense.

So, here I go, off to the river Bank with a machete and pretty soon we've got a trailer load of cane cut. All of a sudden we run into a cottonmouth nest. Snakes every where. I run back to my 4 wheeler to grab my 20 GA. Other guy with me grabs two boxes of bird shot. I fired every one of those shells killing snakes and baby snakes. It took long enough every one else has congregated on the bank to watch. I told em I'd cut all the cane for that day. They could have the rest of it. Seems no one else was interested in the job.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
me and my buddies used to run around the swamps in northern louisiana without thinking about it. that was until we saw one about 5 foot long swimming right through the hole we were just in a couple minutes before. kind of took the fun out of it. up here in PA we there are places that i like to go that are thick with rattlers. i only go there from end of november to about march.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.