Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Started off poorly so far for me here in my part of Alabama. After seeing a few zooming around in the treetops cutting acorns like they were on speed I stumbled across this one sitting still late this afternoon and put an RWS Subsonic through the chest. It was a nearly straight up shot and I had intended on the head but forgot to hold high and the bullet went into the chest so it was instant death either way.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Phillip_Nesmith; 09/21/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice start!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Helping pap set up and move a couple tree stands tomorrow but will be hunting squirrels first thing. Will report back tomorrow! That’s a beautiful rifle!

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice Rifle, Good shot, good stuff!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got this one this afternoon with the Evanix PCP air rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got 1 today

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a great morning, got these four with the Kimber Hunter. Beautiful day to be out squirrel hunting.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is great stuff, keep it coming!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice shooting Phillip and those are great photo's.
And I'll say it again, awesome looking knife.
RWS subsonic is such a great Squirrel round.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Really liking those RWS subs; positive kills without excessive meat damage when I've took body shots. POP down they go. Almost nailed a crow, bullet richocheted off a limb and it got away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Our season in Louisiana starts this Saturday but weather is looking kinda dismal. Mosquitoes are horribly bad anywhere near the woods right now. We need some cooler weather.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Really liking those RWS subs; positive kills without excessive meat damage when I've took body shots. POP down they go. Almost nailed a crow, bullet richocheted off a limb and it got away.

Recovered RWS subsonics look darn near like a recovered Nosler Partition bullet, almost a perfect mushroom with a lot of solid base intact. Most of my rimfires really shine with RWS subs and a Kimber Classic I have shoots them like they're match ammo.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve also had great results with Lapua subsonic HPs, but haven’t seen them for sale in some years. In my Browning T-bolt, they shoot better than the RWS ammo.

One time while hunting squirrels with a friend, we ended up competing. When we got together after dusk, John said “I guess I won” and showed me his 3 squirrels. When I emptied my coat he said “How did you do that?? I only heard 2 shots!!”, and I had to remind him I was shooting subsonics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Out in the woods this afternoon, spotted just one. It was raining acorn cuttings down onto my head and I had to take a straight up shot. It should have been a miss but the bullet deflected off the limb directly beneath the squirrel right into it for the kill so I got it after all.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I prefer subsonic hollowpoints over anything else for hunting squirrels here in north Alabama. The ranges shots take place at are never too far for the trajectory of a subsonic velocity bullet, the noise level is much more acceptable to me, and the accuracy of any subs I have tested so far has always beaten any high velocity hollowpoint ammo. The terminal ballistics are just about perfect with any I've tried too. None of the crawl off fiascos of solid bullets but also not the serious destruction level of high velocity hollowpoints. I used to use SK Subsonics but they discontinued them. RWS performs excellently as well. The CCI is good, not quite as accurate as the RWS and the now gone SK. My Kimber Hunter doesn't get along well with the newer 38 grain Eley Subsonic HP's, five shot groups range from 3/4" to 1-1/8" at 50 yards. The older 40 grainers with the greasy lube were very good. I miss the SK's, don't know why Lapua/SK decided to stop making hollowpoints a few years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a bunch of the old Winchester subsonic 40 gr. truncated cone hollow points in the silver boxes. Winchester did a super slo mo video of these things hitting a big grape and expanding as the bullet travels through the grape. They hit squirrel with a distinctive "whop" sound. These have been very accurate in my guns, usually grouping under 1/2" for five shots at 50 yards. Of course Winchester dropped them from production and later reintroduced them as an improved product. I can't get the newest version in the black boxes to group well enough in my guns to take them hunting. I had grabbed into a decent supply of the older ones when I heard they were cut from the line up so I'm set for subsonic hunting ammo.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I could have, should have gone this weekend. But, I don't have a lightweight 4 WD for those East Tx forest roads. Red clay & mud, considering the approaching rain storm, turn into "wish I'd have stayed home" pretty quick.

Trying to fix that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our season just opened up here in MS. Haven't really been bushy-tail hunting in a LONG time but use to be my favorite. Thanks for the thread. I'm about to dig out the ol' Ruger 77/22 and check zero. Although it's still a bit warm I may end up in the squirrel woods this weekend thanks to this inspiration.

And.... thanks for the comments on the RWS ammo. Just found some on Gunbroker and ordered. Yes, I know I overpaid, but.... just have to try it.

Whether you tell yourself you CAN do it.... or you CAN'T.... you're correct.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don’t think you will be disappointed in the RWS subsonic ammo. Their HVHP is good stuff too, think if it as “German MiniMags”

FWIW, I pasted some of my notes below WRT zeros with various popular squirrel ammo in my Blaser.

MiniMag HPs POA/POI @ 25 yds-40M. Very accurate.

SGB/MiniMag/Win Extra Power/RWS HVHP all shoot to same zero

RWS & Lapua Subsonic HPs very accurate, print -1” @ 40m

CCI Stinger very accurate, prints +1” @ 40m

Eley Sport prints -1” @ 40M from hunting zero

CCI Std Velocity very accurate, -1.75” from hunting zero

I’ve not shot any “domestic” subsonic ammo to compare groups and zeros.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by MrClean
Our season just opened up here in MS. Haven't really been bushy-tail hunting in a LONG time but use to be my favorite. Thanks for the thread. I'm about to dig out the ol' Ruger 77/22 and check zero. Although it's still a bit warm I may end up in the squirrel woods this weekend thanks to this inspiration.

And.... thanks for the comments on the RWS ammo. Just found some on Gunbroker and ordered. Yes, I know I overpaid, but.... just have to try it.

There's an online rimfire contest in the rimfire forum and today I shot my target with one my Squirrel rifles using RWS Subsonic. I chose this rifle and ammo because it is what I use for Squirrel and I wanted to see just how well it would do. Aging eyes was a bit of a challenge but I endeavored to Persevere. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ours opened yesterday. Went for a short woods walk this evening and put the first meat of the season in the pot. Saw three others that would have been easy pickings with a long gun, but too far for the Contender.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by SCGunNut; 10/02/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Interesting gun, I've seen a lot of times a .410 pistol would have been handy.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had to get in one with the 12 gauge sidelock Grulla 209E shotgun. My loads of one ounce of hard #5's. Picked off another this afternoon with the Kimber, RWS Subsonic headache.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Once again, great photo's Phillip. The shotgun photo takes me back a bunch of years to some great times. But the bottom photo is just awesome. The Kimber rifle, Leupold scope and the Randall (I think its a Randall) knife is just so classic.
Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Knife is the same A. G. Russell that's in the first photo, just the other side and a bit of perspective change. It took many years to locate that knife, seemed like forever long looking but not finding. Ms Squirrel lost her mind over it. Most of it anyways. shocked

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by K22
Once again, great photo's Phillip. The shotgun photo takes me back a bunch of years to some great times. But the bottom photo is just awesome. The Kimber rifle, Leupold scope and the Randall (I think its a Randall) knife is just so classic.
Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Yes! I agree!

Thanks, we truly enjoy it!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Knife is the same A. G. Russell that's in the first photo, just the other side and a bit of perspective change. It took many years to locate that knife, seemed like forever long looking but not finding. Ms Squirrel lost her mind over it. Most of it anyways. shocked

Oh brother. I do remember you telling me some time back that was an A.G. Russell, but of course I've slept since then. I should have known better than to guess (insert eyeroll). While I have several nice custom hunting knives I never did have one made for small game, but should have. I use an old Gerber Bird and Trout model for Squirrel and it has done a great job for me, but yours is so classy looking and now I want one. Does it ever end? LOL
Your photo has inspired me to get my Kimber Classic out and give it a try in the Precision Rimfire Shoot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You can never have too many knives! I have more than I can find a use for, like most knife guys. Smaller drop points are my favorites though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I might try printing up one of those targets to see how I could fare on one. I haven't used my printer in over two years though, it might not even work anymore.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I agree with you Phillip, I you can't have to many knives. I'm not a fan of large knives, but for some reason never picked up any small drop point models. Is there any custom builders making small drop points very similar to your A.G. Russel?
Yes, join in the shoot. The more the merrier. It is fun and frustrating at the same time. LOL

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
went out this morning. Saw six, got three. Cz 452 with the old winchester power point hollow points

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunted my patch of woods again today, spotted one this morning for another Kimber K22 kill. None located in the afternoon, no luck.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
nice head shot! Enjoy!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Phil, your Grulla is a very fine shotgun. The guy that imported them had some 16's and 28's. The 28 pointed like a spear, it weighed about 5 1/2 pounds. Regretted selling that one...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Squirrels were out in force here this afternoon. Got my limit of 6 in just over an hour.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd like to have a 16 gauge double. I do have an old Stevens 94 16 gauge that was my first firearm. It was bought new for my Dad sometime in the early 1950's. A 12 gauge is a little on the thick side while a 20 can be tiny or toyish; but a 16 can be what Goldilocks was looking for, just right.

I've come to appreciate lighter weight gear as age and health issues make themselves known. I can see why something like a NULA Model 20 in .22 LR would be very desirable. I've lightened myself by 35 pounds over the last year. crazy

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have become all about lighter gear and especially lighter rifles. Age has a way of bringing that out in some of us. blush
Those NULA's are fine accurate rifles, but not sure if the magazine issue is still a problem or not. A couple of other very accurate and light rimfires is the Sako Quad and the Browning T-Bolt. The Browning in walnut is a very nice rifle, but it does need a Jard trigger in place of the junkie factory one. The Sako Quad in synthetic is an awesome setup and rivals any rimfire I have in the accuracy and trigger department. The Hunter model (walnut) is nice looking but does add more weight. And of course the other selling point for the Quad is the switch barrel feature.
I've never weighed my Kimber Classic, but the weight doesn't seem to excessive to me. I should weigh some of mine just so I have an idea of what they are.
One area you could lighten your gear is by going with a lighter knife. I have a few that are lighter than your A. G. Russel and would be happy to make a trade with you. whistle

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd like to have a 16 gauge double. I do have an old Stevens 94 16 gauge that was my first firearm. It was bought new for my Dad sometime in the early 1950's. A 12 gauge is a little on the thick side while a 20 can be tiny or toyish; but a 16 can be what Goldilocks was looking for, just right.
:
I absolutely agree. A 12 gauge double looks like a blunderbuss and a 20 looks like a cork gun. The 16 gauge is just right.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only saw one late afternoon in my little acreage of woods, carrying the .22 Evanix PCP air rifle. Underestimated the range and the first shot Eun Jin dome broke both front legs; a quick second shot severed the spine. By the time I got to take a picture it was too dark for a good one of any sort, so I stuck the rifle on the front porch swing with the squirrel best I could do.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Evanix air rifle with the Nikon EFR scope seems like it weighs a ton. I think it's right at 10 pounds. I don't like to carry it very far. It's okay to use here around home, but I'm not toting it anywhere where I'll be walking for several hours. The Kimber is pretty light. I can carry it one handed easily for long periods no problem. I don't remember what it actually weighs. This Evanix air rifle shoots the 28-1/2 grain Eun Jin aka Seneca round nosed pellets a little over 800 fps for right at 40-42 ft lbs of muzzle energy, plenty enough power to kill at well past fifty yards, but the drop in the trajectory gets to be so much past 45 yards that it's hard to hit past that approximate range. With a .22 anything inside of 75 yards is possible and if you happen to estimate distance right and get a solid rest 100 yards are possible. Not easy but possible. Lighter weight, greater reach, better accuracy, and no exhausting the compressed air reservoir makes the rimfire rifles better choice most of the time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I've come to appreciate lighter weight gear as age and health issues make themselves known. I can see why something like a NULA Model 20 in .22 LR would be very desirable. I've lightened myself by 35 pounds over the last year. crazy

The 16 Grulla No 2’s were built on 20 frames IIRC. 16’s were still popular when I bought my first 1100 in the 60’s.

I still have my ULA, going on 25 years. They are way too expensive now. Biggest regret is selling my Clackamas Kimber Custom Classic LH in the early 90’s.. The Coopers I owned never filled the void for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Three rifles that I'd love to have: a Kimber K22 Super America, a Kimber K22 Classic Varmint .17M2 and an Anschutz 1717D in .17HMR. One of those Sako Quads would be great too. I like the pretty walnut stocks, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to own a really great accurate light weight rifle with a synthetic stock. I don't reckon anyone I know is going to die and leave me any in their wills and these days I couldn't even afford to buy ammunition for them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Three rifles that I'd love to have: a Kimber K22 Super America, a Kimber K22 Classic Varmint .17M2 and an Anschutz 1717D in .17HMR. One of those Sako Quads would be great too. I like the pretty walnut stocks, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to own a really great accurate light weight rifle with a synthetic stock. I don't reckon anyone I know is going to die and leave me any in their wills and these days I couldn't even afford to buy ammunition for them.

Phil,

The Anschutz are nice rifles, but they don’t appeal to me. If Kimber had ever to put its mind to making a lefty K22 I’d have bought one, I remember when you bought yours.

When I was deep in the .22 rabbit hole, Coopers we’re about a grand, Kimbers were well under $700, Finnfires were $400. Hard to believe it’s been over thirty years ago when I got the Custom Classic for $640. I enjoyed it when my eyes and health were good, and
that’ll have to do…

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Sako Quads rate very high on my list for accuracy and looks. The Kimber Classic is no slouch in the accuracy department either, leastwise not the one I have. The wood on the Kimber is much darker than the photo shows and the 2 Sako's both run Leupold FX II 6X with the parallax adjusted to 40yds. All 3 rifles are pretty light weight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Got three more this afternoon. Was windy with a storm front moving in so didn't expect them to be active like yesterday. Forgot to mention. Yesterday's limit was taken with my old Marlin 989M2 {my first .22 bought new in 1976} and CCI Mini-Mag HP's. The 3 today with my Henry .22 mag. and Maxi Mag TMJ's. The Marlin wears an old 2.5 x20 Bushnell Banner. The Henry a Swift Reliant 4x32 compact.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Five more this afternoon. Browning BL-22. Weaver K-2.5. CCI Mini-Mag HP's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The high price of squirrel!!! The wife was talking with her daughter yesterday and I about choked when I heard that she is paying an exterminator $399.00 to take out what sounds like two squirrels that are getting into her attic. They just bought a nice place in a Nashville suburb and some guy is trying to trap the squirrels using a live trap and peanut butter, but with no results and for that kind of money! I just shake my head because any kid with a pellet gun would probably do it for the stew meat. I got on the phone and told her just use half a cob of corn in the trap or get your own pellet gun. Then she tells me that they think they are getting a deal because their neighbor payed a guy $10,000. to get rid of his squirrels and patch a hole where they were getting in! Unreal how ignorant and gullible some people can be.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
The high price of squirrel!!! The wife was talking with her daughter yesterday and I about choked when I heard that she is paying an exterminator $399.00 to take out what sounds like two squirrels that are getting into her attic. They just bought a nice place in a Nashville suburb and some guy is trying to trap the squirrels using a live trap and peanut butter, but with no results and for that kind of money! I just shake my head because any kid with a pellet gun would probably do it for the stew meat. I got on the phone and told her just use half a cob of corn in the trap or get your own pellet gun. Then she tells me that they think they are getting a deal because their neighbor payed a guy $10,000. to get rid of his squirrels and patch a hole where they were getting in! Unreal how ignorant and gullible some people can be.

Jeebus! I need to move there with my Daisy 880, my Havahart, and a frying pan!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ingwe

And there you go again, over gunned! Jeesh!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took a break from deer hunting this morning. Almost forgot how much I enjoy hunting these.

Last edited by Holston; 11/08/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fixed it.

Last edited by Holston; 11/08/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hadn't got to hunt in several days, too many things to do. Wind was blowing this morning so I decided to carry the SxS, Grulla 209E. Only spotted one. Four #5 pellets struck, one in the head three in the chest with one not completely exiting, it was in one of the offside legs under the hide. I've loaded one ounce of fives for my squirrel loads and they usually leave no pellets, penetrate all the way through. Don't likey finding pellets with my teef.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got one this morning, a very long shot, around 75 yards. A lot of the leaves are down so I carried binoculars this time. Sat down in a good spot, started looking through the trees with the Vortex Talon HD binocs and after awhile spotted one. Sat the binoculars down, tried to find the squirrel for the shot, couldn't see it. Looked through the 'nocs again, plain sight. Back through the scope, can't find. Back to the 'nocs, try to locate something specific so that I can walk my view into the correct spot. Find a sapling with a dead limb fallen into it bowing it over partway to the target, squirrel is sitting on the side of a tree near the old fenceline to the west side of where I'm sitting near the property line. This time by leaning back against the tree I was sitting beside, taking a solid rest, turning my cap where no sun would be in my eye and scanning as carefully as I could go I found the squirrel. Held halfway between the center of the reticle and the thick of the duplex, as I new this was the right holdover for this scope at 75 yards with subsonic hollowpoints, and gently squeezed the 1.5 pound trigger of the Kimber. SPAT and in a millisecond the squirrel tipped over and fell. I got up and started easing my way towards where I thought it was located and after a few minutes spotted blood all over the ground on the side of the tree facing me. The squirrel was on the backside of the tree, an old oak with a big hollow about halfway up.

I could use a more magnification than the Leupold 2-7x this time of year when the leaves are down. It was frustrating being able to see the squirrel very plainly with the 8x binoculars but poorly through the scope which has true magnification of 6.7x I believe from reading the specs.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was wondering a while back how good optically these binoculars were. They were bought from Vortex's Eagle Optics store a bit before they closed shop and just went with the Vortex brand only. The Talon HD/Eagle Optics Ranger ED are the same thing, differing only in rubber armor color, Vortex green vs Eagle Optics black, mine are actually the Eagle Optics. I was out loafing one day and went in Cabelas and looked at some of the binoculars on display. What I have easily beats the Diamondback and Crossfire glass so I guess that I am not disappointed in what I've got. They were happily showing me this squirrel while I was having difficulty locating it with the Leupold VX1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I have ever used more scope power than 6X while squirrel hunting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well hot dog, deer hunted a new area on east Tx public land and found the holy grail of squirrel hunting! I got a nice doe but the important part was the incredible numbers of squirrels. Can hunt with a 22 rimfire so icing on the cake. The other thing is there are plenty of feral hogs there also. Might end up using my Marlin 22 magnum as a dual purpose tool.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Got one this morning, a very long shot, around 75 yards. A lot of the leaves are down so I carried binoculars this time. Sat down in a good spot, started looking through the trees with the Vortex Talon HD binocs and after awhile spotted one. Sat the binoculars down, tried to find the squirrel for the shot, couldn't see it. Looked through the 'nocs again, plain sight. Back through the scope, can't find. Back to the 'nocs, try to locate something specific so that I can walk my view into the correct spot. Find a sapling with a dead limb fallen into it bowing it over partway to the target, squirrel is sitting on the side of a tree near the old fenceline to the west side of where I'm sitting near the property line. This time by leaning back against the tree I was sitting beside, taking a solid rest, turning my cap where no sun would be in my eye and scanning as carefully as I could go I found the squirrel. Held halfway between the center of the reticle and the thick of the duplex, as I new this was the right holdover for this scope at 75 yards with subsonic hollowpoints, and gently squeezed the 1.5 pound trigger of the Kimber. SPAT and in a millisecond the squirrel tipped over and fell. I got up and started easing my way towards where I thought it was located and after a few minutes spotted blood all over the ground on the side of the tree facing me. The squirrel was on the backside of the tree, an old oak with a big hollow about halfway up.

I could use a more magnification than the Leupold 2-7x this time of year when the leaves are down. It was frustrating being able to see the squirrel very plainly with the 8x binoculars but poorly through the scope which has true magnification of 6.7x I believe from reading the specs.

Good shooting Phillip. That is a long shot for a 22lr without a shooting bench. I used to run 2-7 VX1's on some of my rimfires, but discovered that the FX II 6X36 was much brighter and sharper. That actually made finding hidden Squirrels easier than witht he 2-7 turned all the way up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Longer shots can be done from a sitting position if you're on the right ground. Need just the right slope of ground away from the tree and no big root base under your rump. Shoulder solidly against the tree and knees for the rest. Years past I have done it standing leaning against a tree but I can't anymore, too shaky. Darned neuropathy took away my steadiness. I can still take them offhand up to around 35 yards or so. Every now and then you can stumble across the perfect spot with two trees you can wedge yourself comfortably between for a solid rifle shooting rest, but still have a great view across the woods. If the sun doesn't get on you and make you go to sleep......

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Those issues sound so familar. frown I learned how to shoot Squirrels at any distance by using the right side of a tree as a rest. Left hand against the tree and with any luck, the left shoulder also. That was so steady for me.................then, now, not so much unless it is a shot under 35yds and then it depends on what day. Why do those days have to be in the Past. cry
And while I'm reminiscing, back in the early 80's I worked for a company up North as a welder, great money back then and the woods around the area were chock full of Fox Squirrels. Red and White Oaks every where, lots of Shag Bark Hickory, Beechnut trees, and hard Maples, a Squirrels paradise. It seemed that not many were that interested in hunting Squirrels, so I had that area all to myself. I hunted from late Aug. till early Oct. and averaged 104 Squirrels in that time frame. Now those were the days. After about 4yrs. we came back South still hunting Squirrels, but it just wasn't as good.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Got out yesterday with a buddy and his son. There are no acorns in the woods this year, and deer and squirrel have been few and far between. Found a bunch yesterday though. Went 5-6 and felt pretty good about it.
Slit below the tail and peel off the pajamas....

Happy fall, all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have many from last year in the freezer, so started out with Irons this season.....harder to see at my age now, but I have taken several with handgun and rifle........

I pass on the grays and just target Fox squirrels, alot more meat on them. Btw, cook in a pressure cooker about an hour, debone and substitute for Chicken in Gumbo......or just eat with BBQ sauce.......though I did eat a couple fried last night, better than chicken smile

Last edited by 65BR; 11/28/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well hot dog, deer hunted a new area on east Tx public land and found the holy grail of squirrel hunting! I got a nice doe but the important part was the incredible numbers of squirrels. Can hunt with a 22 rimfire so icing on the cake. The other thing is there are plenty of feral hogs there also. Might end up using my Marlin 22 magnum as a dual purpose tool.

I almost pulled the trigger with my buckmark centered on a very large hog's head about 40 yds, a few weeks back........had I had a rifle, especially a WMR, I would not have hesitated. I was also mulling over the laws on the management area I was in.........found out later I was good to go.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image from flic.kr]

I dunno what I’m missing about uploading/sharing a photo…. Hosted on [bleep], size is <2mb…??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try putting .jpg on the end maybe??

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Maybe Flick r is on the banned wagon. 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got outsmarted by one this afternoon. If I had been carrying the shotgun it would have been a dead rodent but I had the Kimber with me and the little bugger spotted me first and kept moving and moving and moving. Never could get a shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another day.....I know you have that area/tree marked wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunted on some TVA land that I hadn't hunted on yet this season, spotted these two late afternoon and the Kimber scores again.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hunted on some TVA land that I hadn't hunted on yet this season, spotted these two late afternoon and the Kimber scores again.

Your photo, which as usual is outstanding, inspired me to get out my Kimber K22, do some trigger work to lower it a bit more then check accuracy once more. These Kimber K22 are awesome in looks and accuracy.
Have you made a scope change on yours yet? While I like the new Burris rimfire scopes......a lot......, I still love the custom shop 6X Leupold I have on mine. That's a scope you might want to checkout once Leupold gets their custom shop back up and running again.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IF I get to try a different scope it will be a while. I want to try different things but it takes long periods of time to work up the money anymore. The Leupold 2-7 serves perfectly for the vast majority of the shots that I take though, I don't know why I get the "change things itch" LOL! I would like to have a compact 3-9x32 or 33mm, Leupold or Burris, to keep things as much as possible USA made, but those scopes have gotten both expensive and harder to find these days. The Sightron 3-9x32mm looks good, but that's all I know about it. The Clearidge 3-9x32mmAO has a good reputation. I had a Weavver RV9 on the K22 before this Leupold and should have left it alone. That's what that change itch does for me. Dummy.
I saw your post about the trigger. I had mine adjusted to about 2-1/2 pounds because of the nerve disorder that I have (CIDP) which kills a lot of touch sensitivity and I had been having some accidental discharges when shooting in the cold with gloves on. I've gotten some feeling back plus I haven't hunted in any very cold weather, so I readjusted my trigger to 1-1/2 pounds, which makes accurate shooting much easier. I think that I could change springs in the trigger assembly and get it down to 1 pound, but that would get dangerous for me, as I could fire the rifle without any sensation of touching the trigger with it that low. With the sear engagement set as it is the trigger breaks very cleanly and predictably, so it's fairly easy to use. I'd say best trigger I've ever used.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[quote=Phillip_Nesmith]IF I get to try a different scope it will be a while. I want to try different things but it takes long periods of time to work up the money anymore. The Leupold 2-7 serves perfectly for the vast majority of the shots that I take though, I don't know why I get the "change things itch" LOL! I would like to have a compact 3-9x32 or 33mm, Leupold or Burris, to keep things as much as possible USA made, but those scopes have gotten both expensive and harder to find these days. The Sightron 3-9x32mm looks good, but that's all I know about it. The Clearidge 3-9x32mmAO has a good reputation. I had a Weavver RV9 on the K22 before this Leupold and should have left it alone. That's what that change itch does for me. Dummy.
I saw your post about the trigger. I had mine adjusted to about 2-1/2 pounds because of the nerve disorder that I have (CIDP) which kills a lot of touch sensitivity and I had been having some accidental discharges when shooting in the cold with gloves on. I've gotten some feeling back plus I haven't hunted in any very cold weather, so I readjusted my trigger to 1-1/2 pounds, which makes accurate shooting much easier. I think that I could change springs in the trigger assembly and get it down to 1 pound, but that would get dangerous for me, as I could fire the rifle without any sensation of touching the trigger with it that low. With the sear engagement set as it is the trigger breaks very cleanly and predictably, so it's fairly easy to use. I'd say best trigger I've ever used. [/quote

Boy am I with you on the "change things itch". While I brag on the 6X Leupold the custom shop did for me, I still got the "change things itch" and found a Burris (USA made) 3-9X32 AO Mini scope. Put that on the Kimber K22 (mine is a Classic) then later decided I liked the 6X better. Seems I even had a Burris Droptine 3-9 on it at one time also. I've even done the same with a Kimber HS.
It is the Kimber HS I would like to change triggers in. Not a biggie if I don't find one. The trigger in the Kimber Classic is set at 1lb and is a joy to shoot. That does help enormously in accuracy. The Kimber HS is at 1 3/4lbs and will not go any lower safely. That rifle I put in a Kimber Varmint stock and being a bit heavier than the Classic I can get by with a little more trigger pull weight off the bench. Both rifles are extremely accurate with RWS Subsonics which is a good thing since I have plenty. I can't imagine trying to shoot either one with winter gloves on and triggers that light.
I agree with you, Kimber triggers are awesome, especially for a factory installed trigger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Afternoon woods jaunt, saw absolutely nothing. Should have been out early this morning I guess.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I just discovered this great thread! I love squirrel hunting most of all, especially early Fall when they are in the treetops. I killed 58 greys this year with my Benelli Ultralight 20ga 24" barrel. I still hunt some with my .22lr's (CZ 452 and CZ 455) but not as much as when my eye's were younger....Keep up the great posts 👍....Hb

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I just discovered this great thread! I love squirrel hunting most of all, especially early Fall when they are in the treetops. I killed 58 greys this year with my Benelli Ultralight 20ga 24" barrel. I still hunt some with my .22lr's (CZ 452 and CZ 455) but not as much as when my eye's were younger....Keep up the great posts 👍....Hb

Look forward to hearing about your Squirrel hunting adventures.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah man! Squirrel hunting adventures are the best.......Hb

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as this came up again, now as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. These people are absolutely paranoid and irrational about any kind of guns and it turns out that the trapper never got their squirrel. They have surveillance cameras everywhere, and I mean everywhere even in the bathroom, and one day they were checking their outside camera and darned it the neighborhood cat didn't get the squirrel! No charge too. smile Since we are a week out from a visit there on our way south, I'm going to ask the guys in the handgun forum how to deal with their paranoia about guns because target shooting is what we do down there with the gun club.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These yearly threads are going to have me buying a Kimber. Nothing wrong with my CZ, but that’s never stopped me.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Cheesy
These yearly threads are going to have me buying a Kimber. Nothing wrong with my CZ, but that’s never stopped me.

You will not regret doing it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As long as this came up again, now as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. These people are absolutely paranoid and irrational about any kind of guns and it turns out that the trapper never got their squirrel. They have surveillance cameras everywhere, and I mean everywhere even in the bathroom, and one day they were checking their outside camera and darned it the neighborhood cat didn't get the squirrel! No charge too. smile Since we are a week out from a visit there on our way south, I'm going to ask the guys in the handgun forum how to deal with their paranoia about guns because target shooting is what we do down there with the gun club.

Educate them with Facts!

We've Educated and taught a lot of Non Believers, over the Years!

Now my oldest son has grabbed the Baton and is doing the same!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Pried the boy away from the XBox today to chase some tree rats. Got him one of the Savage 93 FV-SR and he shoots it well.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice.. Looks like you have some fine squirrel hunting..

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I want to get back into small game hunting and I am looking for a good 22lr bolt action rifle. I had a few minutes yesterday to get out into the woods so I took my Benjamin 22 pellet rifle.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kandpand
I want to get back into small game hunting and I am looking for a good 22lr bolt action rifle. I had a few minutes yesterday to get out into the woods so I took my Benjamin 22 pellet rifle.

That's my all-time killingest gun. I've killed hundreds of squirrels, many wood rats, and well over 1,000 starlings with my Benjamin pump .177.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deer season and holidays out of the way, I'm about to lay after them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been out several times since December 14th and seen nothing. We've had some stormy rainy days and some too cold for me out of the time since so maybe better days soon, but disappointing for nearing a month now.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SquibLoadMatch
Pried the boy away from the XBox today to chase some tree rats. Got him one of the Savage 93 FV-SR and he shoots it well.

That's good stuff right there!
Gonna get out and nail a few in the next coming week!
Congrats!
Very Rewarding!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been wanting to get back into squirrel hunting and shooting rimfires for a while now. I finally got a TC Contender Carbine put together with an MGM .22LR Match barrel. I am working on a Ruger 10/22. Here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks. I lost one that got hung in a tree.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 33 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,161
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.