Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Saw a few comments when the merger was mentioned. Wondering what the latest info is?

Bass Pro has disappointed me more and more lately, so was getting used to Sportsmen's. Now it looks like BP is grabbing them, too? Been spending more money at the few LGSs still left around here.

See we're getting a new REI in our area shortly. Anyone think that'll be a plus? TIA.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Let's see; Cabela's used to be a good company BP ruined them. BP sucked before they bought Cabela's, think I see a pattern.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Let's see; Cabela's used to be a good company BP ruined them. BP sucked before they bought Cabela's, think I see a pattern.

The Pattern is real......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I stopped buying sports trinkets a while ago. Don't care. With age I found I could get by without the latest camo spandex.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder

Only a Lie-beral would not see that pattern.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have always considered Bass Pro Shops to sell cheaply made items on par with Walmart, just having more of it in stock. Now of course they would have a few high end fishing reels available but for the most part they just stock consumer grade items. All of BP hunting clothing and accessories are just cheap Chinese stuff just like Walmart carries.

Cabela's, the old original one, carried a higher level of hunting and outdoor gear along with the highest levels of fishing gear available. Their clothing line, although most likely made offshore, appeared to be made to very high standards that I assume Cabelas required of their providers.

Since the merger of Cabela's with Bass Pro Cabela's now is no better in quality than BP, just a big Walmart.

Although a member of REI and have been a past customer I will not purchase from REI at this time. Their anti hunting position tells me they do not want my business.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Cabelas exists in name only. I wish Bps would just do away with the name and put their own name on the stores because that's what they are. There are plenty of places to buy the stuff you need. I try to use local shops as much as possible.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like to go to Cabelas for the stuffed animals and sweet peanuts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OldHat
I stopped buying sports trinkets a while ago. Don't care. With age I found I could get by without the latest camo spandex.

This^^^^^^^^^^

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think we all know the outcome of this

We have a Sportsmans Warehouse in Lansing MI

I have gotten in the habit of a quick stop when I pass by

I am sure that will save me some time will pass buy like I do the Cabelas in Hammond IN (it was a stop not anymore)

I admire what Johnny Morris has achieved, but his program is not for me
BUT he is a GREAT American success story

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 09/22/21.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Although a member of REI and have been a past customer I will not purchase from REI at this time. Their anti hunting position tells me they do not want my business.[/quote]

We've had an REI here for almost 2 years and your comment is spot on. It's high end cycling, backpacking, ski/kayaking, fly fishing......camping. only took me one visit to realize I didnt belong.

dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So REI is like Dick's, only worse?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dubePA
So REI is like Dick's, only worse?

More expensive, more hiking oriented, and no sports (golf/baseball/etc) equipment.

Last edited by slm9s; 09/22/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They are swirling around the toilet. Sportsmans will follow. Everything Bass Pro touches turns to chit. There are plenty of small places with quality merchandise, with employees that actually know what the hell is going on when spoken to.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No reason for me to believe it will go any different than the Cabelas merger.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cabela's used to be one of my go-to places, both physical store and online. They've discontinued the products I was buying from them. The store has very little of interest and the new web design is a turd. The only thing that keeps them interesting is the gun library. BP has destroyed them.

Sportsmans .. I think the handwriting is on the wall.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only way SW would go to [bleep] quicker than a buyout by Basspro, would for them to be bought by Dick’s or Dunham’s.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Seems to be the way of the world. We used to have a great place here in Spokane called the White Elephant. They provided just about everything for hunting and fishing, plus toys for the kids, with great prices. It was a major change when they started taking credit cards as they had been cash/debit cards for years. They finally closed their doors, but, I believe there is an alternative in Coeur d'Alene - the Black Sheep. I believe it is owned by members of the same family, have just about anything you want for hunting,fishing, and reloading, plus some clothing in their other building. If we can just keep BPS away from them, things will be pretty good.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I actually didn't even know SW was still around. All of them within worthwhile driving distance for me folded up years ago.

I can't imagine it going any better than the Cabelas merger, though... water down the product line with BPS branded stuff and turn the website into a digital train wreck. 😑

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In the last month or so, the local SW has been going through a remodel and they seem to be focusing their floor space on things like shoes and non-hunting apparel while pushing the gun/hunting related stuff to the margins (with less space). I assumed it was due to the ammo and component shortages, but if the Basspro acquisition is about to close this makes all the sense in the world (that they are doing to SW what they did to Cabelas).

If true, a shame, and I hope we get a Scheel's in town (closest is Billings).

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 59 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.