Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Time to jump start this thread. Today, I was in the Sioux Falls Scheels and picked up some Federal 16ga. Loads. How different from a year ago.

However, the rifle and shotgun ammo shelves are still not full, but a cursory guess would be ~50-60% which still means a lot of ammo if they have what you want. I normally buy Fiocchi’s but other than 28’s they were not available. No problem, I’ve always used different brands, though usually stay with 5’s and 6’s and away from magnums.

Excellent - I was slightly concerned but figured 3-4 boxes of 12 ga #6 would be around someplace. Looking forward to it

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
post deleted

Last edited by Reba; 09/21/21.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
There will always be pockets of birds, but a lot of CRP was cut for emergency haying and grazing. Even sloughs have been mowed. Recently driven the state north to south and east to west without seeing a bird from the road, not that I was particularly looking but not to have any fly across you at windshield level was unusual.

That is rather sobering. When did the mowing take place? Would this be late spring into summer? Chicks big enough to sit still and be killed,..or get away?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

Time to jump start this thread. Today, I was in the Sioux Falls Scheels and picked up some Federal 16ga. Loads. How different from a year ago.

However, the rifle and shotgun ammo shelves are still not full, but a cursory guess would be ~50-60% which still means a lot of ammo if they have what you want. I normally buy Fiocchi’s but other than 28’s they were not available. No problem, I’ve always used different brands, though usually stay with 5’s and 6’s and away from magnums.

Excellent - I was slightly concerned but figured 3-4 boxes of 12 ga #6 would be around someplace. Looking forward to it

I cannot imagine they won’t have 12’s when you get there. It’s their #1 seller. And don’t let this thread dampen your enthusiasm. You’ll have a great time — fine companions, fine guns, good dogs, and the satisfaction of a “refreshing” physical weariness of long walks in premier pheasant country. I’m sure you will get in the birds.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
There will always be pockets of birds, but a lot of CRP was cut for emergency haying and grazing. Even sloughs have been mowed. Recently driven the state north to south and east to west without seeing a bird from the road, not that I was particularly looking but not to have any fly across you at windshield level was unusual.

That is rather sobering. When did the mowing take place? Would this be late spring into summer? Chicks big enough to sit still and be killed,..or get away?

govt doesnt allow haying or grazing of CRP until after the main nesting season , around August 1

any cattails mowed off would usually be pretty late in the summer

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 09/21/21.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, I think the haying started mid-July up until just recently. As you know we had a tremendously hot and dry June. Hot and dry is probably more conducive for brood raising vs cold and wet is the only good thing.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hottest couple of weeks here, in June, that I recall.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I cannot imagine they won’t have 12’s when you get there. It’s their #1 seller. And don’t let this thread dampen your enthusiasm. You’ll have a great time — fine companions, fine guns, good dogs, and the satisfaction of a “refreshing” physical weariness of long walks in premier pheasant country. I’m sure you will get in the birds.

Yesterday I had a short conversation with a Fiocchi VP about possibly getting target ammo shipped directly to my house...The answer was..."Sorry we don't do that."

Anyway, he said they are currently emphasizing hunting ammo...both shotgun and centerfire. However, they are backed up on committed orders...If I could look around and obtain my needs before I arrived to hunt....I'm sure it would be the best option.

Last edited by battue; 1 minute ago.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The lodges banded together and put in a single order for truckloads of ammo, so they feel like their bases are covered in that regard. i looked around this weekend and saw a few shells on the shelves. If you guys get out here and need some 16, I know where to get some.

The emergency haying should be no surprise to anyone: https://www.rounds.senate.gov/newsr...to-emergency-grazing-and-haying-policies for example. Lots of people are short of feed for their herds going into fall. Stuff's going to get hayed as a result. Lots of trucks on the roads moving cattle and hay right now.

Had a conversation up at the Y this morning about there being some late nesting and seeing chicks resulting from that. I've driven some over the first half of the month and hit two pheasants with my pickup, so there are some birds out there. We don't have the kind of thick cover at our usual spot that will keep birds into the winter like we did last year but we're not limited to hunting only that place either.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

Thanks for the perspective BK.

Pugs, your outfitter is sure to have some then also. But, FYI, on the same street as Scheels, but further east on the same 41st street, another gun shop, though small and privately owned, should also have 12’s. Gary’s Gun Shop. On the way to Scheels from the airport.

They usually have a rounded glass-enclosed display of higher-end guns, usually mostly rifles — hat tip to Jorge.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/22/21.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.