24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dale06, same issue here, with one set of Redding dies. No matter how I lube (always sparingly) I get dents. I've used wax, body of case only, One Shot, and some old Lee water soluble lube. Shoulder dents no matter what I do. I think (no, I am not sure) that the die/cartridge combination traps air during the sizing process. I gave up on them, went back to RCBS with a vent hole. No problems.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 300_savage
dale06, same issue here, with one set of Redding dies. No matter how I lube (always sparingly) I get dents. I've used wax, body of case only, One Shot, and some old Lee water soluble lube. Shoulder dents no matter what I do. I think (no, I am not sure) that the die/cartridge combination traps air during the sizing process. I gave up on them, went back to RCBS with a vent hole. No problems.

Exactamundo^^^^ One POS somb that supplies AR barrels and wildcat chamberings insisted on only using Redding competition dies. I asked if they had any other options. Their answer was basically pound sand, we know better. I sold the barrel and said good riddance and went to a different AR barrel and cartridge that is supported by RCBS.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If by Redding competition dies you mean the type that use bushings for the neck section then the vent hole issue would be moot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been a user of RCBS dies lately until now.

I had a set of RCBS 44Mag dies that the sizing die was undersized and would not accept a case new or unfired. Returned it to RCBS and they replaced it with a carbide sizing die as the previous one had been steel only.

Bought a set of RCBS 6.5 Creedmoor dies that were scratching the sides of new cases and were also undersized. I would have to stand up to apply enough pressure to size the once fired brass with enough lube to get some shoulder dents. I sent the sizing die back to RCBS with a note about the two problems and received the same die back with a note "polished die". Using the dies again for the second time found that the scratches on the brass were gone but the sizing die was still under sized. Sent the dies (both) back to RCBS and told them this was the second time the same die had been returned and the sizing problem still existed. Losing my patience I told them to replace the set preferably with a carbide sizing die or keep the damn dies and don't send them back.

Haven't heard from them now after 11 days so I bought a set of Hornady dies for the 6.5 Creedmoor to go along with my other Hornady dies in 6.5 Grendel. I am through with RCBS dies going forward and loving the Hornady.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Their customer service and support has always been great. I’ve broken some parts, called them, and they just send out whatever I needed no charge.

If there is a problem with the die, they will make it right.

Call them and discuss.

IC B2

S
S
Originally Posted by 240NMC
Their customer service and support has always been great. I’ve broken some parts, called them, and they just send out whatever I needed no charge.

If there is a problem with the die, they will make it right.

Call them and discuss.

This exactly. Only time I ever had questions or needed service, they went way out of their way to answer all questions and sent me some free spare parts to boot!

I own RCBS, Hornady and Redding dies. RCBS are functional but my least favorite, Hornady is better than you might expect. Any time it counts for precision, I only buy Redding. I really like a separate neck and body die for precision stuff, and you’ll never get dents with that setup being separate. Not saying they’re better than Forster or Whidden or arbor press dies like Sinclair, but my experience with them has been great.

Last edited by Spongebob; 09/22/21. Reason: Typo
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 300_savage

Same here Do not care for Redding dies on AI cartridges with no vent

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run a few different Redding die sets and have no issues. Did have a mixup on my end purchasing the wrong sizing die once, called them and they exchanged it free. Another time I needed a vld seating stem and they sent it free of charge. Always been happy with Redding stuff.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Problem dies for me were .260. I've a set of .223 Redding dies that never give shoulder dents. I just got a set of RCBS dies for .260, and the problem went away.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have about half Redding and half RCBS. I like the Redding a little better.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.