Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

As far as shotguns, I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 a few years ago, at about 30 yards, with 00 buck. The pattern was only about 6 inches, so "scattergun" did not apply.
My M2 Tactical was almost that good with the Federal FliteControl Low Recoil rounds.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

As far as shotguns, I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 a few years ago, at about 30 yards, with 00 buck. The pattern was only about 6 inches, so "scattergun" did not apply.
My M2 Tactical was almost that good with the Federal FliteControl Low Recoil rounds.

My Benelli with modified choke does about an 8" - 10" pattern with the Federal Tactical Flite Control #1 Buck round at 30 yards. That is 15 .30 caliber pellets in the 2.75" shell.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
There just isn't any well reasoned compelling argument to choose a shotgun over an AR carbine for self defense. Be it in the home, around a homestead farm/ranch or in a much bigger area outdoors the carbine wins on all fronts from 30' - 300+ yards. And I say that as a shotgun guy. I grew up with shotguns and have hunted a lot of game with shotguns and shot a good bit of clay's on the skeet and sporting clays range near me. Small game, wingshooting, turkey, deer and hogs and a heck of a lot of called coyotes, bobcats and fox. In certain predator calling circles I have a reputation as the guy who years ago started getting real serious about finding the ultimate shotgun, choke and load combinations for calling coyotes. I am about to retire from a 32 year law enforcement career that has shoved me into a few scenarios in which shotguns played an immediate role in my survival. I have seen the results of what a shotgun can do in a gunfight. I used an issue 870P to defend myself and a partner officer when ambushed by a whacked out meth head. It worked - decisively. I have investigated shootings involving shotguns, trained with, qualified with and been issued shotguns for a very long time now. I have a long interest in shotguns and currently have both a personally owned 870P pump and a Benelli M1 Tactical that I am not getting rid of for any reasons. With all that said I no longer rely on a shotgun as a primary long gun for self defense. AR carbines have taken over that role. The AR carbine checks all the boxes and just makes more sense all things equal.

I mostly agree.

That said, if I was somewhere where the AR couldn't hold more than ten rounds or had a fixed mag, a shotgun loaded with 8 would be in the equation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotguns are heavier, longer, recoil more, hold less ammo, are slower to reload, and slower to fire. They’re a disadvantage in every objectively measurable way.

The only reason they’re popular is from pure nostalgia. If they were introduced for the first time tomorrow they wouldn’t be considered viable by any reasonable person, for all the reasons listed above.

The only potential positive is that the shots spreads out so you *theoretically* don’t have to aim them as precisely.

Which is another way of saying “When I don’t aim it at the bad guy, and sometimes when I do, I send buckshot careening through my house at who-knows-what”……Which isn’t an advantage at all.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, you fellas are certainly free to use whatever you wish.

FWIW, a learned shotgun shooter does not "aim". Assuming one has done their homework and the gun fits, it is pointed, nothing more or less and as a result there is little if any memory of the barrel/target picture after the boom. Daytime, nighttime makes no difference. I would not rely on a 2-shooter, there are many styles out there that hold 5 or more. That said, I walked into a wad of hogs some years back with a H&R Topper .410 and a fist full of slugs. The Topper is a SS break action gun. 4 were dead at the scene and one waddled off somewhere else to kick the bucket. Why? Well, the first shot was at a stationary target, the rest were on the run and the 4th shot was not quite perfect. I had one in the chamber and 4 between my fingers and thumb. It ran off behind some brush before I could pull more ammo out of my pocket and I had to defend myself from #5. Li'l bastid got blood all over my jeans. Don't go into a gunfight with a fella wielding a break action shotgun and think you won after he fires twice. Might be a surprise awaiting.

I imagine most of you gents are looking at your own setting when talking about this stuff and I understand that. My own is such that it would be difficult to have a visual which provided a shot much beyond 50 yards. Long way of saying a load of heavy shot will work inside or outside, matters not one whit. If I run out of ammo for the scattergun I do have a jam-o-matic for backup.

I was fiddling around awhile back with an old damascus 12 bore double loaded with brass shells and #4 buck at the 20 yard line. Full choke on both tubes and they shot about the same patterns to the same pattern center and I considered it rather enjoyable. 30" circle on the target. I suspect that gun and load would be adequate out to around 50 yards. BTW, buckshot in the house is unnecessary and ill advised.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thing of it is that what most don't realize is that different barrel/choke/load combinations don't always do what one might expect. I have another 12 ga that with the FC barrel will pattern a load of 00 buck in about 6" at 30 yards. Same gun with the IC barrel patterns more in line with expectations, but if one loads shells with a light shot charge (7/8oz) it will shoot 7-1/2/8/9 birdshot into absurdly small patterns at 30 yards. Somewhere in the 15"-20" size. They are all different and have many quirks.

Have fun, don't take any prisoners. They just bitch, bitch, bitch.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Where the hell is BSA to settle this once and for all?

A couple 20 shot groups would settle this once and for all.

I don’t want BD coming at me with a shotgun, or Maverick coming at me with an AR, so I guess it’s a draw.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
eems like there are more than a few guys here who think proper use of a shotgun involved in wingshooting and clays games correlates to the proper use of a shotgun in a defensive, or offensive situation. there is a reason that shotguns are being replaced in patrol cars. largely for the reasons Blue mentioned above. I will take a short barreled AR with an optic all day every day over a shotgun for social purposes.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
eems like there are more than a few guys here who think proper use of a shotgun involved in wingshooting and clays games correlates to the proper use of a shotgun in a defensive, or offensive situation. there is a reason that shotguns are being replaced in patrol cars. largely for the reasons Blue mentioned above. I will take a short barreled AR with an optic all day every day over a shotgun for social purposes.

Not too surprising, shotguns can get pretty messy in crowded areas. But for home defense, that can be an advantage...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Intolerant attitudes can help make that mess! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Shotguns are heavier, longer, recoil more, hold less ammo, are slower to reload, and slower to fire. They’re a disadvantage in every objectively measurable way.

The only reason they’re popular is from pure nostalgia. If they were introduced for the first time tomorrow they wouldn’t be considered viable by any reasonable person, for all the reasons listed above.

The only potential positive is that the shots spreads out so you *theoretically* don’t have to aim them as precisely.

Which is another way of saying “When I don’t aim it at the bad guy, and sometimes when I do, I send buckshot careening through my house at who-knows-what”……Which isn’t an advantage at all.

well one selling point often touted by the salesmen is less wall penetration (I.e. flying thru the next room) by pellets that go wide of the target..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny stuff. I have a double barrel 20 that weighs a few ounces over 5#. A pump gun and 12 O/U that weigh a bit over 6, and the other three just 7# or a few ounces more. So, ya, heavier that butterflies.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

well one selling point often touted by the salesmen is less wall penetration (I.e. flying thru the next room) by pellets that go wide of the target..

That is entirely dependant upon ammo choice. A .223/5.56 with the right ammo is no more a threat of over penetration than a shotgun. In fact, that .223/5.56 round is most likely safer indoors than a hollow point bullet from a service pistol caliber like 9mm, .40 or .45 ACP.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What bullet do you in the know load for “interior” work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Gold Dots, and don't shoot towards my kids room.

😜

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
And, if the intruders have ARs or AKs, they can retreat out of your range and still fire on you with effect.

Point being, shotgun for urban? Maybe. If you live in a nice urban neighborhood where the home intruders promise to come in groups not more than two.

In my neighborhood, the only intruders with ARs who would break into my house in groups greater than two would be a police SWAT team who have come to the wrong address.

And I probably would not win any argument with them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SLM

Start watching at 17.30:

Of course just about any on the ballistic tip style bullets in the 50-60 grain range will demonstrate performance similiar to the Hornady Critical defense used for this test:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Start at 12.15:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Funny stuff. I have a double barrel 20 that weighs a few ounces over 5#. A pump gun and 12 O/U that weigh a bit over 6, and the other three just 7# or a few ounces more. So, ya, heavier that butterflies.

The mental gymnastics required to use a TWO SHOT shotgun as an example of lightweight home defense is amazing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by SLM

Start watching at 17.30:

Of course just about any on the ballistic tip style bullets in the 50-60 grain range will demonstrate performance similiar to the Hornady Critical defense used for this test:

is that Jeff O?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always best to bet your life on a best case scenario vs a worst case scenario.

Not.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

In my neighborhood, the only intruders with ARs who would break into my house in groups greater than two would be a police SWAT team who have come to the wrong address.

And I probably would not win any argument with them.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 62 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.