Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So how many folks here would grab your favorite AR as your preferred home defense weapon above all else? In other words, someone is busy attempting to make entry, what is in your hand?

I guess I am old school as my first weapon of choice is a S&W.40, followed by a folding stock 870. Unless the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us, my ARs sit in the safe.

The girlfriend is wicked mean with a Mossberg SA-20. You don't want to piss her off.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you. 9mms in the night stands and a 12 ga. Within reach.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
9mm and a light on the nightstand for me. Both gas guns are in the safe.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shotgun first for me

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pullit
Shotgun first for me

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like my Smith & Wesson AR pistol. 223 with the 7.5" barrel and a Streamlight green laser. Stupid easy to put green dot on said life threatening intruder and eliminate the threat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
So how many folks here would grab your favorite AR as your preferred home defense weapon above all else? In other words, someone is busy attempting to make entry, what is in your hand?

I guess I am old school as my first weapon of choice is a S&W.40, followed by a folding stock 870. Unless the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us, my ARs sit in the safe.

The girlfriend is wicked mean with a Mossberg SA-20. You don't want to piss her off.

Their throat would be in my hand, but I guess I'm really old school and really mean..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10.5" with a can is my go to.

YMMV

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sig M400 Tread pistol with and 11.5 inch barrel

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HTDUCK

Can on that? An AR is loud enough. Short ones inside = pain and permanent damage

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
.45 1911 Springfield with a Surefire Light. It's a small house.

Sam......

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Shorty with a good light.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Their throat would be in my hand, but I guess I'm really old school and really mean..

Your either really tough or really stupid......I have my suspicions!

L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Remington 11-87 12 gauge loaded with 5 3” tungsten ss BBs

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

686+.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Remington 11-87 12 gauge loaded with 5 3” tungsten ss BBs

Nice!

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I like the idea of varmint bullets from a bullpup, but I'm fastest with a shotgun. It isn't even close. Training bleeds over.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
G23 with 165 hollow points eighteen inches away alongside a flashlight as I lay in bed. Various accouterments scattered about the homestead safe and within reach no matter where the Alamo might be. I know what the wife would grab; a Mossberg Ute Model pump full of 2 3/4” #3 buck. Unless I beat her to it. Across a room 20 pellets will be nasty. HOWEVER I have all the components for a short AR except a dot. It may stay at hand upon completion.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
16 inch 7.62 REPR, 150gr E-Tips/176gr Lehighs.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by goalie
10.5" with a can is my go to.

YMMV

11.5 with can, Same Same….house, street….

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
7 shot revolver and speed loaders, loaded with 38s +P by the bed, 12 gauge 870 nearby. And practice and more practice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scatterguns rule around the homestead for many reasons. #4/5/6 shot....are you ready to rock?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Scatterguns rule around the homestead for many reasons. #4/5/6 shot....are you ready to rock?

What would those reasons be?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm scared of guns and got rid of mine. But if I still had any, I would probably have a 38 special and a flashlight within easy reach of the bed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whichever is closest to me at the time

Windage & Elevation
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by HTDUCK

Can on that? An AR is loud enough. Short ones inside = pain and permanent damage

Nope, my hearing sucks anyway due to two ruptured ear drums as a result of ear infections,

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had an 18 inch bison armory barrel in 6.8 SPCII cut down to 12.5 and rethreaded. That with a can and 120 ssts would be my choice.:)

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pullit
Shotgun first for me

I have my 870 with a light. My 45 is a backup. A can on a pistol or rifle would certainly be nice to preserve the hearing a bit.

NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One factor is do you have small kids. Imagine grabbing a child with your left arm and trying to wield an AR or shotgun with your right only. A pistol may be a better choice in this scenario...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Short AR, 60gr TAP rounds, second mag is bonded. If I pick up my AR I'm putting on ear pro.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Houston the preferred tactic of home invaders seems to be 2-3 armed guys. Happens in relatively good neighborhoods, too, so I prefer having more ammo on board the gun.

I keep a Daniel AR in .300 Blackout handy, with 125gr supersonic loads, Loopey prismatic optic. More rounds on board, less recoil, better ergos than a tactical shotgun.

I've looked at "tactical" shotguns many times, and keep drifting back to the AR. I might consider a Tavor at some point, or even a bullpup shotgun, if someone makes one reliable, with enough capacity.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
On the bedside table next to the biometric safe containing a Sig 226 TACOPs, my primary gun is my 11.5" BCM, suppressed and loaded with 75 BTHP over TAC. 40 rd magpul in the gun and another 30 rd. handy.

Aimpoint T2, Streamlight ProTac HL-X. With a chainsaw bayonet, obviously.

Wife get's the Sig, I get the BCM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC

Aside from small flying animals with hollow bones, shotguns are a distant second place, if not third to a pistol.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Blue, I agree. Rifles win gunfights.

Last edited by MOGC; 09/28/21.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Rick doesn’t have enough bandwidth for me to list them. Some folks know what a scattergun can do and others will never have a clue.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Weak reply Dan.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It is illegal to shoot somebody. If there is anyway you can escape, that is the correct thing to do or you will go to jail. Best thing to do is move to a safe neighbor hood. That being said... I would be happy to hold somebody at gunpoint with any type of firearm until the police arrive.

If it is an unarmed teen.... I may consider having a talk with him. Maybe you could change his life for the better? Maybe not?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Aside from small flying animals with hollow bones, shotguns are a distant second place, if not third to a pistol.

grin

Only a pistolero would agree w/ you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by aklaunch
It is illegal to shoot somebody. If there is anyway you can escape, that is the correct thing to do or you will go to jail. Best thing to do is move to a safe neighbor hood. That being said... I would be happy to hold somebody at gunpoint with any type of firearm until the police arrive.

If it is an unarmed teen.... I may consider having a talk with him. Maybe you could change his life for the better? Maybe not?

Not if they’re in your house. Nowadays there’s no such thing as a “safe” neighborhood. There are safer places but not “safe”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Not if they’re in your house. Nowadays there’s no such thing as a “safe” neighborhood. There are safer places but not “safe”.

Years ago, the laws would tell you to give the
criminal your wallet and they wouldn't harm you
at all
21st century - criminals kill a person's children
for a $100.00 pot deal gone wrong

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is illegal to murder somebody.

Self defense is justifiable homicide, so long as you can show a reasonable man would be in fear for their life.

Even in Oregon.

Even in Western Oregon.

Look it up.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

And there you have it, a golf club and a stern voice is all you need to defend yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

So what ya going to do if they don't agree to be held at gunpoint? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is a highly reworked and massaged HD Mossberg 930 18.5" w/ choke tubes installed by Steve Rose and 4rd Nordic mag extensions hanging in bed hooks on both sides of the bed, they put all 9 pellets of the 00 load into a smaller paper plate at 30 feet, that will ruin anyone's day that tries to enter unannounced, also takes care of rattlesnakes and the occasional feral dog, coons, foxes and coyotes trying to get in the chicken coop. Best part is, when the bed is made they are not noticeable.

But, there is a Aero/Tromix 16" 375 Socom with a Bushnell Tac Ops holographic red dot behind the chest a drawers hidden away from the doorway with 2 mags filled with 11 200gr rounds each taped together for bigger emergencies

Edit after reading a previous reply:

We are on 475 acres, it's 1.1 mile from the paved road to the house, if you show up unannounced, rattle a door knob, or check out the equipment barn, shop or chicken coop, you gonna get ventilated, maybe a couple times

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weak reply Dan.

What style of hunting have you done with shotguns, and how much?

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

And there you have it, a golf club and a stern voice is all you need to defend yourself.

The pussification of the American male continues....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Rick doesn’t have enough bandwidth for me to list them. Some folks know what a scattergun can do and others will never have a clue.

I agree with Dan. A shotgun is very lethal, and a home invasion would be one where distance is very close. A scattergun with the right loads would put any pos to rest.. Even birdshot or 7 1/2 shot intended for clay pigeons would prove deadly as fugg.. Blue doesn't know half of what he pretends to..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dumbass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It is illegal to shoot somebody. If there is anyway you can escape, that is the correct thing to do or you will go to jail.

There are plenty of places where there is no legal duty to retreat from a confrontation. My home state being one of them.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pot meet kettle statement of the century.

Blue doesn't know half of what he pretends to..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Proficiency > tools

Training > tech

You don't need the "best" tool if you're really good with the tool(s) you have.

A 10.5-12.5" AR loaded with Gold Dots and wearing a can and an Aimpoint is my preference. But, if I trained a lot with my 590a1, I doubt that there would be a difference in most social use situations.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I agree with Dan. A shotgun is very lethal, and a home invasion would be one where distance is very close. A scattergun with the right loads would put any pos to rest.. Even birdshot or 7 1/2 shot intended for clay pigeons would prove deadly as fugg.. Blue doesn't know half of what he pretends to..

That's for those who have developed great proficiency. Many of these fellows would have to practice with a shotgun to hit a rabbit whereas others could shoot you in the face without even thinking about it.

Pointing is faster than aiming. Which Are you faster with? Maybe it is a pistol for one fellow and not another.

An interesting addition to the debate is those not a sbs shotguns. Having killed a considerable number of deer and more rabbits, shot from the hip, they make me wonder. Slower or faster than a short shotgun? Hafta to try to know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno what some of you fellas know or don't know about scatterguns, but I'll pass this along FWIW and you are free to use whatever you want to defend your castle.

- In general terms rifles/pistols are aimed with sights whereas shotguns are aimed instinctively. Moving targets compound the matter a bit and presumably some residential engagements will involve poor light and close quarters. In such circumstances instinctive shooting has an advantage.

- The primary objective in self defense actions is to disable your attacker, first and foremost. Inside the typical residential dwelling 30-40' is a "long" shot. Shotgun patterns at this range will hover in the 6-12" range depending on many variables. This provides a higher probability of a hit than a single projectile. A hit anywhere on a perp with a load of birdshot will cause, at the very least, a major distraction for the invader. In the gut, torso, head or extremities you will be rewarded with a conversion to wailing little girl mode, or perhaps just the sound of silence. At those distances a torso/facial hit will prove totally debilitating in the least. It is a desirable outcome unencumbered by the need for sights, lights or other BS.

- It is possible that one may have family residing in the residence and I must ask if anyone thinks that shot will carry thru drywall/studs as vigorously as a rifled projectile? Do you know for certain where your kids are once this begins to unfold? I know some kids are brats and often a nuisance, but it is doubtful you want them dead. Likewise, perhaps you have neighbors. Want to shoot thru your frame home wall(s) and theirs for a double? I doubt it.

- If the battle moves to the great outdoors you will find that heavy birdshot still leaves a serious mark out to as far as 40-60 yards, depending on a number of variables such as shot size/choke. Center a pattern on a bad guy's belly button and he won't be much of a bother after the fact, even at longer distance.

- Riddle me this: While providing support for infantry units n 'Nam I saw a large percentage of patrol point men using Win. Model 12s stuffed with buckshot. They could have carried M16s but chose otherwise. Why do you think they did that? A similar thought arises re: hog hunting in the USA. My Ithaca 37 20 ga whacked three hogs with one load of #3 buck....3 times and I'm not talking about shoats. In every case the shot passed thru the target and snuffed hogs in the background. If one chose buck for home defense they might want to keep that in mind. No tracking was required. Round shot penetrates better than most might imagine.

- If one has no real experience with shotguns they likely will fare better with a pistol or rifle of some sort, but my observation is that most folks have little understanding of the lethality of shotguns. 00 Buck is over rated by most based on emotions rather than reality and smaller shot offers many advantages, not the least of which is a favorable outcome, be it for hunting or self defense. Oh, one last thing. Up close and personal, a shotgun will put the most awesome hole in the bad guy. Hollywood almost has that figured out properly.

I am..........disturbed.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by SLM
Pot meet kettle statement of the century.

Blue doesn't know half of what he pretends to..

Just wait until BSA gets his benchrest set up...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan certainly made his point.

This is my 20 Gauge, No. 3 Buck, “personal home greeter” for hostile man or beast:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Contrary to myth, a shotgun pattern does not spread sufficiently to allow for careless aim, even from a “sawed-off.”

Every day’s an adventure.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Go away, Buffalo Chip.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My shotgun is my go to for home defense. The likelihood that I would be awakened from a sound sleep or at least in a drowsy state and then the need to jump into full self defense mode (at my age -I'm 70+) and expect great accuracy with my handgun or even an AR seems like a moot point. Grab the shottie, reactively point and shoot is the conclusion to which I have arrived. The idea of an SBR'd AR however is appealing - either a BO or even my 10.5" (suppressed) 5.56. Hopefully, I will never have to find out. I suspect that within a minute or two of any shots being fired most perps will head for the hills or a hospital ER. Except for the most determined of thieves or those on drugs, the average confrontational gun fight is over rather quickly. My German shepherd and my Malinois might have something to add to an intruders discomfort before I can make my point!!

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

This is my 20 Gauge, No. 3 Buck, “personal home greeter” for hostile man or beast:

Contrary to myth, a shotgun pattern does not spread sufficiently to allow for careless aim, even from a “sawed-off.”

If you're going to give up the speed advantage of pointing, you'll gain some back with less recoil. A .223 can be set up to shoot nearly flat.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A shotgun will certainly stop the threat if the situation is favorable to a trained shooter. Few folks could move effectively through a structure w/ multiple doorways and T intersections w/ out training and practice. Adding a long gun to the problem increases the degree of difficulty. Only the lightest of shotgun pellets will not penetrate 1 or more walls. Can you make a headshot on a scrote holding a hostage in front of them at 15 yards w/ your choice of loads. For many people weapon retention in in an entangled engagement is more probable w/ a handgun.

Move your fight to the outdoors and learn the difficulty of running that shotgun from the prone and the joy of 5-7 rounds in your gun w/ slow reloads. Aimed fire vs. point shooting is no longer even a subject of rational debate. Much has been learned since 9/11 and the the average civilian can take a well run FoF class and prove for themselves what works for them.

No tool replaces a determined mindset which leads to focused training and deliberate, constant practice.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Thanks, I was in need of a good laugh this morning.
You were joking, right?

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You should shoot one from a bench and report your findings.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
A shotgun will certainly stop the threat if the situation is favorable to a trained shooter. Few folks could move effectively through a structure w/ multiple doorways and T intersections w/ out training and practice. Adding a long gun to the problem increases the degree of difficulty. Only the lightest of shotgun pellets will not penetrate 1 or more walls. Can you make a headshot on a scrote holding a hostage in front of them at 15 yards w/ your choice of loads. For many people weapon retention in in an entangled engagement is more probable w/ a handgun.

Move your fight to the outdoors and learn the difficulty of running that shotgun from the prone and the joy of 5-7 rounds in your gun w/ slow reloads. Aimed fire vs. point shooting is no longer even a subject of rational debate. Much has been learned since 9/11 and the the average civilian can take a well run FoF class and prove for themselves what works for them.

No tool replaces a determined mindset which leads to focused training and deliberate, constant practice.

YMMV

mike r

But bad guys piss themselves and hightail it out of Dodge at the sound of a shotgun racking.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In my bedroom is a 16” AR loaded with 77 gr SMK’s, an Aimpoint red dot ready to go, a Benelli 21” M1 Super 90 loaded with #4 buck, an M&P45 with a light loaded with 230 gr HST and a G19 loaded with 124 Gold dots, also has a light.

The two occasions I’ve had to grab a gun and search out the “noise” I’ve grabbed my 45. If I was going to stay in my bedroom and make a stand I’d grab the AR.

I’ve known of 2 shootings with a shotgun, one from a front yard to the porch, the other across a kitchen table. Both birdshot and both very fatal. But you pick the best tool for the job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from randywakeman.com]

[Linked Image from ke-courses-production.s3.amazonaws.com]

[Linked Image from d1x9a8onyzyjg4.cloudfront.net]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

The spare magazine is loaded with No. 4 Bird Shot, for a quick change-out. Maybe they should be reversed.

Originally Posted by TWR
In my bedroom is a 16” AR loaded with 77 gr SMK’s, an Aimpoint red dot ready to go, a Benelli 21” M1 Super 90 loaded with #4 buck, an M&P45 with a light loaded with 230 gr HST and a G19 loaded with 124 Gold dots, also has a light.

The two occasions I’ve had to grab a gun and search out the “noise” I’ve grabbed my 45. If I was going to stay in my bedroom and make a stand I’d grab the AR.

I’ve known of 2 shootings with a shotgun, one from a front yard to the porch, the other across a kitchen table. Both birdshot and both very fatal. But you pick the best tool for the job.

As with TRW, other assets are kept available, at the ready.

TRW’s choice of shot size shows considerable thought. In a 12 Gauge, No. 4 Buck is preferable to 00 for this use, in my view.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Handgun ,shotgun as a backup.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by auk1124
It is illegal to shoot somebody. If there is anyway you can escape, that is the correct thing to do or you will go to jail.

There are plenty of places where there is no legal duty to retreat from a confrontation. My home state being one of them.

Same here. IF you in the house, you a problem.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Benelli Nova Tactical with strobe attached. S&W M&P 9mm in bed holster. Wife has a Ruger LCR w/38+P loaded.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

As far as damaging your target goes, a shotgun is amazing at close range; say house distance. When I was a teen my friends and I were a threat to seek out inanimate targets if the doves weren’t flying or the squirrels weren’t showing. I can tell you a certain Sweet Sixteen, modified choke, and 6, 7 1/2, or 8 shot will cut down a 4” pine sapling at a surprising distance. At 20’ or so I don’t think a man would walk away with any torso shot. YMMV

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Keep a fn 509 tactical 9mm at bedside as well as a 11.5” 556 with dead air sandman s with Holosun red dot. 55g vmax in a surefire 60 round mag. 24+1 and 60+1

Where I come from being in someone else’s house is more than enough intent to get you smoked legally and on the spot. No DA would bat a eye at it either.

No obligation to retreat. Castle doctrine

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

YMMV

mike r

But bad guys piss themselves and hightail it out of Dodge at the sound of a shotgun racking.

And they don't run from the sounds of a falling AR BCG??

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I leave Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns playing on the tv every night, so that intruders will recognize the four clicks of my peacemaker.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Not so, here in America. We apply the Castle Doctrine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

YMMV

mike r

Good points but how much applied to average homeowners in their homes? We're not shooting up the neighborhood. We have no immunity and are liable for damages. Nevermind a neighbor down range.

A crook would be welcome to escape with my tv, if I had one, if it meant I didn't have to patch up the walls, paint and replace siding.

Shotgun tip: the edge of the pattern is effective. At short range, put the edge ob the leading half of the rabbits head to avoid ruining the part you eat.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Frangible 5.56 will stop any threat in the house without shooting up the neighborhood.

Shotguns are betting on one or two intruders, who are hit amd incapacitated while you reload.

And, if the intruders have ARs or AKs, they can retreat out of your range and still fire on you with effect.

Point being, shotgun for urban? Maybe. If you live in a nice urban neighborhood where the home intruders promise to come in groups not more than two.

Rifle or carbine for suburban? Probably.

Rifle or carbine for farm and ranch? A certainty.

A gunfight must be won to worry about the next gunfight, so having a carbine in the safe downstairs and a pistol in the bedroom doesn’t make sense to me either.

John Stark.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
This question of capacity...how many times do we get to miss and still survive?

My practice range only has three target stands. As I said before I like the idea of a bullpup with 40gr VMax. I don't see me learning it as well as a lifetime of hunting has trained me with a shotgun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Frangible 5.56 will stop any threat in the house without shooting up the neighborhood.

Shotguns are betting on one or two intruders, who are hit amd incapacitated while you reload.

And, if the intruders have ARs or AKs, they can retreat out of your range and still fire on you with effect.

Point being, shotgun for urban? Maybe. If you live in a nice urban neighborhood where the home intruders promise to come in groups not more than two.

Rifle or carbine for suburban? Probably.

Rifle or carbine for farm and ranch? A certainty.

A gunfight must be won to worry about the next gunfight, so having a carbine in the safe downstairs and a pistol in the bedroom doesn’t make sense to me either.

Around here, it's usually at least 3 guys with guns who kick the door in the middle of the night, which suggests having way more than 6 or 7 shots available.

As far as shotguns, I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 a few years ago, at about 30 yards, with 00 buck. The pattern was only about 6 inches, so "scattergun" did not apply. YMMV, of course depending on gun, chokes, and loads. So you'd still have to aim it roughly as well as a rifle, under duress. More recoil & fewer shots on board. So, I keep an AR handy.

One of these days I might get a bullpup shotgun perhaps a Tavor or similar, which helps the ergos.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There just isn't any well reasoned compelling argument to choose a shotgun over an AR carbine for self defense. Be it in the home, around a homestead farm/ranch or in a much bigger area outdoors the carbine wins on all fronts from 30' - 300+ yards. And I say that as a shotgun guy. I grew up with shotguns and have hunted a lot of game with shotguns and shot a good bit of clay's on the skeet and sporting clays range near me. Small game, wingshooting, turkey, deer and hogs and a heck of a lot of called coyotes, bobcats and fox. In certain predator calling circles I have a reputation as the guy who years ago started getting real serious about finding the ultimate shotgun, choke and load combinations for calling coyotes. I am about to retire from a 32 year law enforcement career that has shoved me into a few scenarios in which shotguns played an immediate role in my survival. I have seen the results of what a shotgun can do in a gunfight. I used an issue 870P to defend myself and a partner officer when ambushed by a whacked out meth head. It worked - decisively. I have investigated shootings involving shotguns, trained with, qualified with and been issued shotguns for a very long time now. I have a long interest in shotguns and currently have both a personally owned 870P pump and a Benelli M1 Tactical that I am not getting rid of for any reasons. With all that said I no longer rely on a shotgun as a primary long gun for self defense. AR carbines have taken over that role. The AR carbine checks all the boxes and just makes more sense all things equal.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
“Just go out on the porch and fire two blasts into the air from your shotgun”. Seems like I heard that suggested by someone, somewhere.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

As far as shotguns, I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 a few years ago, at about 30 yards, with 00 buck. The pattern was only about 6 inches, so "scattergun" did not apply.
My M2 Tactical was almost that good with the Federal FliteControl Low Recoil rounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

As far as shotguns, I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 a few years ago, at about 30 yards, with 00 buck. The pattern was only about 6 inches, so "scattergun" did not apply.
My M2 Tactical was almost that good with the Federal FliteControl Low Recoil rounds.

My Benelli with modified choke does about an 8" - 10" pattern with the Federal Tactical Flite Control #1 Buck round at 30 yards. That is 15 .30 caliber pellets in the 2.75" shell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There just isn't any well reasoned compelling argument to choose a shotgun over an AR carbine for self defense. Be it in the home, around a homestead farm/ranch or in a much bigger area outdoors the carbine wins on all fronts from 30' - 300+ yards. And I say that as a shotgun guy. I grew up with shotguns and have hunted a lot of game with shotguns and shot a good bit of clay's on the skeet and sporting clays range near me. Small game, wingshooting, turkey, deer and hogs and a heck of a lot of called coyotes, bobcats and fox. In certain predator calling circles I have a reputation as the guy who years ago started getting real serious about finding the ultimate shotgun, choke and load combinations for calling coyotes. I am about to retire from a 32 year law enforcement career that has shoved me into a few scenarios in which shotguns played an immediate role in my survival. I have seen the results of what a shotgun can do in a gunfight. I used an issue 870P to defend myself and a partner officer when ambushed by a whacked out meth head. It worked - decisively. I have investigated shootings involving shotguns, trained with, qualified with and been issued shotguns for a very long time now. I have a long interest in shotguns and currently have both a personally owned 870P pump and a Benelli M1 Tactical that I am not getting rid of for any reasons. With all that said I no longer rely on a shotgun as a primary long gun for self defense. AR carbines have taken over that role. The AR carbine checks all the boxes and just makes more sense all things equal.

I mostly agree.

That said, if I was somewhere where the AR couldn't hold more than ten rounds or had a fixed mag, a shotgun loaded with 8 would be in the equation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotguns are heavier, longer, recoil more, hold less ammo, are slower to reload, and slower to fire. They’re a disadvantage in every objectively measurable way.

The only reason they’re popular is from pure nostalgia. If they were introduced for the first time tomorrow they wouldn’t be considered viable by any reasonable person, for all the reasons listed above.

The only potential positive is that the shots spreads out so you *theoretically* don’t have to aim them as precisely.

Which is another way of saying “When I don’t aim it at the bad guy, and sometimes when I do, I send buckshot careening through my house at who-knows-what”……Which isn’t an advantage at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, you fellas are certainly free to use whatever you wish.

FWIW, a learned shotgun shooter does not "aim". Assuming one has done their homework and the gun fits, it is pointed, nothing more or less and as a result there is little if any memory of the barrel/target picture after the boom. Daytime, nighttime makes no difference. I would not rely on a 2-shooter, there are many styles out there that hold 5 or more. That said, I walked into a wad of hogs some years back with a H&R Topper .410 and a fist full of slugs. The Topper is a SS break action gun. 4 were dead at the scene and one waddled off somewhere else to kick the bucket. Why? Well, the first shot was at a stationary target, the rest were on the run and the 4th shot was not quite perfect. I had one in the chamber and 4 between my fingers and thumb. It ran off behind some brush before I could pull more ammo out of my pocket and I had to defend myself from #5. Li'l bastid got blood all over my jeans. Don't go into a gunfight with a fella wielding a break action shotgun and think you won after he fires twice. Might be a surprise awaiting.

I imagine most of you gents are looking at your own setting when talking about this stuff and I understand that. My own is such that it would be difficult to have a visual which provided a shot much beyond 50 yards. Long way of saying a load of heavy shot will work inside or outside, matters not one whit. If I run out of ammo for the scattergun I do have a jam-o-matic for backup.

I was fiddling around awhile back with an old damascus 12 bore double loaded with brass shells and #4 buck at the 20 yard line. Full choke on both tubes and they shot about the same patterns to the same pattern center and I considered it rather enjoyable. 30" circle on the target. I suspect that gun and load would be adequate out to around 50 yards. BTW, buckshot in the house is unnecessary and ill advised.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thing of it is that what most don't realize is that different barrel/choke/load combinations don't always do what one might expect. I have another 12 ga that with the FC barrel will pattern a load of 00 buck in about 6" at 30 yards. Same gun with the IC barrel patterns more in line with expectations, but if one loads shells with a light shot charge (7/8oz) it will shoot 7-1/2/8/9 birdshot into absurdly small patterns at 30 yards. Somewhere in the 15"-20" size. They are all different and have many quirks.

Have fun, don't take any prisoners. They just bitch, bitch, bitch.....

I am..........disturbed.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Where the hell is BSA to settle this once and for all?

A couple 20 shot groups would settle this once and for all.

I don’t want BD coming at me with a shotgun, or Maverick coming at me with an AR, so I guess it’s a draw.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
eems like there are more than a few guys here who think proper use of a shotgun involved in wingshooting and clays games correlates to the proper use of a shotgun in a defensive, or offensive situation. there is a reason that shotguns are being replaced in patrol cars. largely for the reasons Blue mentioned above. I will take a short barreled AR with an optic all day every day over a shotgun for social purposes.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
eems like there are more than a few guys here who think proper use of a shotgun involved in wingshooting and clays games correlates to the proper use of a shotgun in a defensive, or offensive situation. there is a reason that shotguns are being replaced in patrol cars. largely for the reasons Blue mentioned above. I will take a short barreled AR with an optic all day every day over a shotgun for social purposes.

Not too surprising, shotguns can get pretty messy in crowded areas. But for home defense, that can be an advantage...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Intolerant attitudes can help make that mess! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Shotguns are heavier, longer, recoil more, hold less ammo, are slower to reload, and slower to fire. They’re a disadvantage in every objectively measurable way.

The only reason they’re popular is from pure nostalgia. If they were introduced for the first time tomorrow they wouldn’t be considered viable by any reasonable person, for all the reasons listed above.

The only potential positive is that the shots spreads out so you *theoretically* don’t have to aim them as precisely.

Which is another way of saying “When I don’t aim it at the bad guy, and sometimes when I do, I send buckshot careening through my house at who-knows-what”……Which isn’t an advantage at all.

well one selling point often touted by the salesmen is less wall penetration (I.e. flying thru the next room) by pellets that go wide of the target..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny stuff. I have a double barrel 20 that weighs a few ounces over 5#. A pump gun and 12 O/U that weigh a bit over 6, and the other three just 7# or a few ounces more. So, ya, heavier that butterflies.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

well one selling point often touted by the salesmen is less wall penetration (I.e. flying thru the next room) by pellets that go wide of the target..

That is entirely dependant upon ammo choice. A .223/5.56 with the right ammo is no more a threat of over penetration than a shotgun. In fact, that .223/5.56 round is most likely safer indoors than a hollow point bullet from a service pistol caliber like 9mm, .40 or .45 ACP.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What bullet do you in the know load for “interior” work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Gold Dots, and don't shoot towards my kids room.

😜

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter

In my neighborhood, the only intruders with ARs who would break into my house in groups greater than two would be a police SWAT team who have come to the wrong address.

And I probably would not win any argument with them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SLM

Start watching at 17.30:

Of course just about any on the ballistic tip style bullets in the 50-60 grain range will demonstrate performance similiar to the Hornady Critical defense used for this test:

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Start at 12.15:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny stuff. I have a double barrel 20 that weighs a few ounces over 5#. A pump gun and 12 O/U that weigh a bit over 6, and the other three just 7# or a few ounces more. So, ya, heavier that butterflies.

The mental gymnastics required to use a TWO SHOT shotgun as an example of lightweight home defense is amazing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by SLM

Start watching at 17.30:

Of course just about any on the ballistic tip style bullets in the 50-60 grain range will demonstrate performance similiar to the Hornady Critical defense used for this test:

is that Jeff O?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always best to bet your life on a best case scenario vs a worst case scenario.

Not.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

In my neighborhood, the only intruders with ARs who would break into my house in groups greater than two would be a police SWAT team who have come to the wrong address.

And I probably would not win any argument with them.

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The mental gymnastics required to use a TWO SHOT shotgun as an example of lightweight home defense is amazing.

Fact. And I said earlier that doubles weren’t my first recommendation.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd still like to fool around with a Bullpup shotgun like the Tavor, or maybe the KSG, if they now run reliably.

Not sure I want to invest $1200+ to test one, however!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 63 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.