Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We all use them differently.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a single seat Honda 1000 pioneer. It has been a very solid machine, I haul about 15-20 cords if wood out with it the past 4 years, plus hunting duty and pleasure trips. Six pioneer bed full make about a cord and a quarter. I had to have the shifting fork replaced, and from talking to the repairman it was more than likely my fault. Has been a great machine so far.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Kubota sucks, the airflow intake for the radiator is behind the front tire so it kicks up everything and plugs it and they overheat. If it's the convertible type you have to raise the bed or undo it to get to the radiator to blow it out.

That's not how mine is.

X1120D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It is slow, but they're hell for stout. I Iook at it like a mini off-road dump truck. The diesel isn't quiet, but I have fuel onsite, so no messing with jugs or suffering the woes of ethanol.

Good to see they finally fixed that simple design flaw, only took them a decade or so. Not enough to bring me back after switching to the ranger. Enclosed cab with heat and AC along with better ride and getting up to 55 easily on the highway beats the kubotas hands down in my book. Plus the options for performance and work in three settings makes a world of difference. The Kubota has the low med and high but seriously the difference isn't all that much. Maybe one day they'll figure that part out too. Each has it's pros and cons for what you're application is, for me the Kubota doesn't cut it

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not that it matters to most of ya...but the big Honda won't fit in a horse trailer.

Not sure if the 1000 Polaris will either.

Next machine for us will be a 570 Ranger I think.

The YAMA Rhino's are hard to beat[size esp].

The 900 Ranger will barely fit in our standard width trailer, the 1000 Honda will fit in some of the wider trailers.

I'm waiting for someone to design/build a bale bed cradle for a full-size SxS.

I think it could be done?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 825 jd gator for about 8 years. It's done great with only 1 small repair. When I get a new one in a year or so I'll be getting a kawasaki mule.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Kubota sucks, the airflow intake for the radiator is behind the front tire so it kicks up everything and plugs it and they overheat. If it's the convertible type you have to raise the bed or undo it to get to the radiator to blow it out.

That's not how mine is.

X1120D

It is slow, but they're hell for stout. I Iook at it like a mini off-road dump truck. The diesel isn't quiet, but I have fuel onsite, so no messing with jugs or suffering the woes of ethanol.

Good to see they finally fixed that simple design flaw, only took them a decade or so. Not enough to bring me back after switching to the ranger. Enclosed cab with heat and AC along with better ride and getting up to 55 easily on the highway beats the kubotas hands down in my book. Plus the options for performance and work in three settings makes a world of difference. The Kubota has the low med and high but seriously the difference isn't all that much. Maybe one day they'll figure that part out too. Each has it's pros and cons for what you're application is, for me the Kubota doesn't cut it

You must be talking about the old style. Mine is a 2014. I bought it in early 2020 with 42hrs on it. It has a two speed hydrostatic transmission. It's not fast, but that's not what it was made for.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Different needs for different folks and uses.

I need a powerful rig that tows and hauls a lot of weight.

Some folks want a rig to have a cushy ride and drive 70mph.

Some don't know what they want, or why they want it... grin

Good points. I liked the Honda Pioneer 1000-5seater concept a lot, and I like Honda in general. But when I got in one and pictured putting my family in there with our gear, it was a no-go. My SxS needs entailed more cargo room and didn't require as much go-fast capability. Looking at the big crew-cab Polaris and Can-Am rigs, they were simply too long and cumbersome. That's primarily what pushed me to the FXT Mule, the room is there when you need it, while still being on a fairly moderate wheelbase. If I was single guy, I'd probably have just bought a single-bench Pioneer 1000 from Honda. The power steering option is a must-have, regardless of model.

While the Power steering would be nice so far neither myself at 61 years old or my wife at 72 years years old and honest 85 pounds are having any problem with the 500.
If or when that ever changes I will put Power steering on it.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yamaha Wolverine.

I've used mine to drag logs, haul deer, trailer loads of firewood.

Over 2100 miles on it since it was new in 16.

0 issues

Hunt...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 2019 Honda Pioneer 500 , my brother just bought a 2021 Honda 520. we own together a Yamaha Viking. I run chains on the original back tires. We are in a very steep narrow valley in upstate NY. Rough steep , rutted logging roads. I recently gave a tour of our land to a mechanic who works on , and rides ATV's He was amazed where I took him and never once did I ever put that 500 in 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by wldthg; 09/22/21.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Most are good machines if you take care of them and dont jack them up with tires and suspension not meant for them or treat them like jon boats.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm also in the market for a new sxs for next year, been driving my 700 Rhino for over 10 years now and it's time to upgrade. Seriously considering the Yamaha Wolverine RX2 with the 850 motor but am going to look at a few others, Can Am Defender and Polaris Ranger 1000. I really like the Rhino but after coming out of moose camp with a full load plus half a moose I need something with more power/torque.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bought this new in 08. Have replaced one CV joint, brake pads[twice] and otherwise basic maint.
It has hauled most of our firewood out of these steep Appalachian Mtns

Along with a few deer & Other critters over the past 13 years:

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Raeford
Bought this new in 08. Have replaced one CV joint, brake pads[twice] and otherwise basic maint.
It has hauled most of our firewood out of these steep Appalachian Mtns

Along with a few deer & Other critters over the past 13 years:

Raeford, those were damn good machines, I've had two of them. Noisy as hell, but tough. You can get those things where you can't get a lot of other UTV's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can haul a heavy load pretty well as long as you're on flat ground, going up hill on rutted/muddy trails is slow going though.

Attached Images
moose rhino.jpg (31.95 KB, 193 downloads)

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have a 610 Mule we bought used several years ago that pretty much stays out at our woods place. Use it for going back & forth, hauling stuff to deer stands (including hauling out stands themselves - also dead deers & hogs). Great machine! Hauled it home on the trailer last week to do some storm clean-up, had it I'm low gear on the trailer, and it "locked" I'm gear - would mot shift to neutral, so could mot unload it or start it. Checking the "web", found advice to rotate the rear wheels a bit. Jacked up the back end, spun the wheels, heard a "click", and it resumed shifting as normal.

Pretty quick and easy "fix"!

Mike Holmes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have two Rhino’s, a 05 and a 2012, both have been good machines.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like Tikka I went with a Kawi Teryx. It's a great hunting/desert running rig.

It won't go anywhere my Rubicon can't go but is much quicker and smoother on the trails between the rough spots.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by JLimbo; 09/22/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

also believe Kawi Teryx is the only one out there offered with a 3 year factory warranty

correct me if wrong

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mule pro has 3 year warranty

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got the Honda with the tilt bed that turns into 4 seats comes in handy when people want to see the ranch. Has plenty of power for me and is a work horse.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (12344mag, 2UP, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.