Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Spend as much time in the woods , mountains as possible.

Don’t take friends or family to your good hunting spots

Plan early, get a good education trade and career and move to a state with good game and fish populations. Start investing young as good hunting opportunities only grow more expensive

Marry a gal whose Dad and brothers hunt

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s not called hunting when you sit on your butt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shut up and be still!

Hunt where the deer are!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It’s not called hunting when you sit on your butt.

Gotta hunt for a good place to sit where there are big tracks and rubs. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/15/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
Spend as much time in the woods , mountains as possible.

Don’t take friends or family to your good hunting spots

Plan early, get a good education trade and career and move to a state with good game and fish populations. Start investing young as good hunting opportunities only grow more expensive

Marry a gal whose Dad and brothers hunt

All excellent advice

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d tell younger me to get in gear and hunt Dall sheep and Mtn goats while you’re an AK resident. Never had any interest in hunting the mountains while I was there, wish I had now….

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by jaguartx
[quote=DigitalDan]It’s not called hunting when you sit on your butt.

Gotta hunt for a good place to sit where there are big tracks and rubs. wink[/quote

Where I hunt if you walk and hunt it's just walking because you'll never see anything.

Last edited by victoro; 09/15/21.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, it's not the equipment, get to the bush and hunt!!!! But new equipment is fun!!! Bill out. 👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, buy the ground you want to hunt.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't wait or put off trips. Go every chance you get.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb
Hunting advice you'd give a young YOU

This is advice I'd give a younger me, djb, and is mostly around whitetail deer hunting in KS.

Shooting accuracy, with bow or gun, is the #1 most important skill. You can be the greatest hunter in the world, but if you can't make the shot it doesn't matter.

Don't wait for the "perfect" shot. Take the first shot given by the animal. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Let other guys practice doe management and shoot little bucks. Life is too short to drag little bucks and does out, and let's be honest, I don't need the meat.

Don't leave your truck without good binos and 8x32s will do 98% of what you need.

A good quality, lightweight, packable chair, like Helinox, is worth its weight in gold.

A .300WM doesn't kill deer any deader than a .223. A .223 is a lot more fun to practice with while increasing your shooting skills too.

Every deer I've ever killed with a rifle, I could've killed with a 4x scope.

Heavy rifles are fun to shoot at the range, but not for all-day carrying. At the end of an all day hunt I've never thought to myself, "Gee, I wish my rifle was heavier."

If you wear it, pack it, or use it hunting, spray it down with Permethrin. You're welcome.

Just when you think you've applied enough Deet to exposed skin, spray on some more. Never while trout fishing or deer hunting have I said, "Man, I put on too much Deet again."

Stay away from cotton - socks, pants or shirt. Wear merino wool and good synthetics.

Quit [bleep] around trying to find a good "daypack." Buy a good quality backpack with frame and be done with it.

Don't buy into the ol' hunter's tale you have to walk 3 miles from the road to find the deer. I've seen more deer cross the road in front of me, or in fields next to the road, then I've ever seen "way back where the deer are."

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Take pictures. Wish I had done that more often.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would tell my younger self the following:
"From September 11, 2020 to September 20, 2020 you will be backpacking into the mountains to do your annual solo archery hunt for elk. Since you will see no elk for that particular ten day period, leave your bow, arrows, rangefinder, kill kit and other unnecessary items back at camp. It will just be wasted extra weight. Enjoy your hike."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I would tell my younger self the following:
"From September 11, 2020 to September 20, 2020 you will be backpacking into the mountains to do your annual solo archery hunt for elk. Since you will see no elk for that particular ten day period, leave your bow, arrows, rangefinder, kill kit and other unnecessary items back at camp. It will just be wasted extra weigh. Enjoy your hike."

laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunt with you binoculars not your scope.

[Linked Image from ]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Patience

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t buy a 270, they’re gay!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get decent binos early and learn to use them. One of my best hunting friends passed away about 12 years ago leaving behind a 10 year old boy. A few years laterI took his boy deer hunting into an area his dad and I loved to hunt. As soon as we got to the area I handed him a box and said they are yours learn to use them. It was a nice new pair of 8x40 binos that I'd picked up for a few hundred bucks at half price.

I spent the morning showing him how to glass and what to look for. I told him I'd not shoot a buck unless it was 4x4 or better. He spotted a group of deer a bit later and said it had a 4x4 in it. I looked and at first I said it's too small. He said it's a 4x4 you have to shoot it. I looked a bit closer and he was right. I ended up with a small 4x4.

Bb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Quit running up and down every ridge. Sit your ass behind the spotting scope, let it do the walking for you.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.