Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
So straying away from my favorite 760 pumps a bit I found a 7400 Jamomatic chambered in .270 Winchester at a rather new local FFL by me and couldn't resist, despite how fugly it was.

FFL was an ex cop who apparenly didn't know much about scopes and pricing and when I sold the scope locally, I had literally a pittance into the gun.

The gun was absolutely fugly with a tupperware stock and forend, was matte finish metal with 3 bad rust spots on the barrel and the dratted J Lock.
No date code puts the manufacture date at between 8/9/99 and 10/1 01 according to the Remington Society date code info.
I originally planned to sell the gun(like I needed another gun, LMAO), but when I looked with the bore scope it was about the best barrel I'd ever seen on a Remington. And the rails on top of the receiver didn't have a mark or dig in them, like it was hardly fired.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
First thing I did was remove the dratted J Lock, fortunately I had a spare non J Lock safety in the drawer.
Then I sanded the rust spots with 400 grit wet & dry and pretty much got rid of them with Oxpho Blue. Brought the barrel down to bare steel and Dyna Bore coated it, still can't believe how nice the rifling is, more like an expensive custom made barrel.
I had an old school set of Weaver Pivot mounts/rings and put them on.
I had purchased an old school Denver Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7 from bbrown in the classifieds here who said he had a lot of trouble sighting it in on the last rifle it was on. The price was so right that I sent it off to Iron Site Inc. and had them rebuild it and put the classic post/crosshair in it.

But the gun was still fugly with that tupperware furniture, to much matte finish contradicting the high gloss scope, base and rings.

And then comes along 160user to save this gun when he advertises some deluxe walnut furniture from a Remington 742 in the classifieds here. Naturally I buy it. Took a little fitting, forend bolt is shorter than what is needed for the deluxe wood, but I had a bolt from a 760 that was perfect. Stock bolt is 2 inches longer for the tupperware stock and it doesn't require the bearing plate that the walnut stock does so a quick order to Numrich solved that problem.

So while it is a contradiction between matte and gloss finishes it isn't so fugly anymore and I'm happy with it now. It should make a good woods rifle.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice! I like it. I know of an old Model 742 that has killed more deer than Anthrax. It has chatter marks but still cycles like it is supposed to and shoots as accurate as most bolt guns. I used it a ton along with other family members. A buddy of mine has it now and still kills a number of deer every year with it. Never has jammed that I know of but it has been kept clean.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've known plenty 742s and 7400s other guys had.

Keep Action CLEAN..... no problems.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I agree with both of you, on all counts. I have a 7400 in .308 that functions flawlessly and I'm sure this one will also.

I call them "Jamomatics" because of the Remington haters. I mean to listen to them, if you use a 700 the gun will go off when you take it off of safety, before you can even aim at the deer. and those lousy pumps have a forend that rattles so loud it scares the deer off before you can even get a shot at them LMAO. So I guess the "Jamomatic" is your best bet if you load the first shell into the chamber you can get one shot off before it jams. The Remington haters are just too much.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hope you got a good one. I'd buy another carbine if I new it worked.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve never messed with a 7400 but I’ve saw several 742’s that would jam, it was always the magazine that caused it. IMO they are good guns and better than a lever 30/30 that everyone raves about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't you know that its illegal to use a 7400 without those stupid see thru mounts??

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like what you did with it Redfield and all. I have my dad’s 742, no jams.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every now and then I see an old 742 saturated with WD40 sitting on the used gun rack.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wink_man
I agree with both of you, on all counts. I have a 7400 in .308 that functions flawlessly and I'm sure this one will also.

I call them "Jamomatics" because of the Remington haters. I mean to listen to them, if you use a 700 the gun will go off when you take it off of safety, before you can
even aim at the deer. and those lousy pumps have a forend that rattles so loud it scares the deer off before you can even get a shot at them LMAO. So I guess the "Jamomatic" is your best bet if you load the first shell into the chamber you can get one shot off before it jams. The Remington haters are just too much.

SPOT ON !!!!!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wink_man
. . . I have a 7400 in .308 that functions flawlessly . . .

Well I guess that makes 2 of us

And there I was thinking I had "THE" one.
Dang lyin' internet. . .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think it's more 'HATERS' than the Inet.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned a "Model Four" (fancy 7400) in .270 that shot Federal 130 Blue Box like a good bolt gun! I left it in Texas (as a spare when I visited my folks, I hunted exotics alot then) I ended up selling it cheap to my Aunt down there. It was a very fine rifle! I also had a new Mod 750 Carbine in 35 Whelen that was flawless, but had such beautiful wood I couldn't make myself use it! lol. I like the 7400s alot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jim...ditto but never owned one.

I still prefer the M Six and Four Stocks.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had a synthetic stocked 7600 in .270 for quite a few years, and the deer never seemed to mind the forearm not being silent, either 😁 I did mind getting jacked in the cheekbone by that sharp combed stock, though, so I got rid of it eventually. It was a dang good shooter, under MOA with h4350 and a 130 Win PP bullet.

Never had a 742 or 7400, but a friend of mine has an older 742 in .308 that has always worked perfectly both on the range and in the field.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have mine and my dad's since the early '70s. Neither has ever jammed. We always kept them very clean and ran then completely dry.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/22/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one in 6mm Rem which of course I sold, would love to have that one back!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking rifle Wink Man.
We had a retired ENCON officer in our hunting camp. He called those Remington semi-autos that all the city slickers and Jersey guys hunted with "Guinea Game Getters". laugh

Last edited by River_Ridge; 09/22/21.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never owned one, you made it look nice. I don’t like plastic stocks much either.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My only problem with the 7400 & 7600 is the poor trigger, it's a shotgun trigger. My son had a 7600 chambered in 280 Rem, I sent the rigger to a gunsmith and when it came back it was better than acceptable. other than that they are great guns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 39 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.