Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Room is booked, staying at the Hilton in St. John the first night!

GB1

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We did book a room, need a good nights sleep and shower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by abbydog
Room is booked, staying at the Hilton in St. John the first night!

You will be staying uptown. There's a few nice places to eat up there and if you're there early enough a walk through the old city market is worth the time.

Not sure how much time you will have this trip, but if you're here for three weeks next year, maybe we can get together.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Could you explain what you had to do with ArriveCa. Guess you can bring firearms etc. My dads in Nova Scotia planning a visit now.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was scheduled to be hunting there this week. Then 2 weeks ago I got the Vid. Had to cancel the trip and now rebooked for October 17th-24th. I plannned on driving from Georgia but since it went from a group of 6 to now a budy and myself we have decided to fly. Sux because getting meat / horns back now will be limited. I originally was booked last year but that was nixed due to the border closuer. Anyone have any experiance on shipping meat back? I planned on carrying my bow and having a rifle back up. Having to considate my luggage, what items are a must and what should be left?

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
IC B2

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We will have a few hours if we leave home early enough, walk around ST. JOHN, get a bite to eat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got home this afternoon. Damn long drive!
I can't write much right now, but my boy dumped 2 eating sized moose on our last full day of hunting (Thursday).

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have hunted Newfoundland many times. Last 2 with Red Indian Lake. First class outfit. Group of buddies headed up in 2 weeks, my crew going end of September 2022. Keep debating a Caribou tag, but can't justify the cash, I'd rather have a freezer full of moose meat. We take a flat trailer with chest freezers and a couple generators. With the meat froze solid before we leave, no trouble keeping it frozen back to Pennsylvania.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted there 3 times all for woodland caribou with Snowshoe Lake Hunting and Fishing. First class operation from the hunting aspect and the food was really great. Getting a berth on the ferry is the only way to go. You get private beds and a shower. I can't believe how much it costs now for the hunts. In the early to mid 2000s the total cost for a 1 week hunt for caribou was less than 3K.

living the good life every day
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thoughts on taking firearms to Canada. Check the serial number local to be sure it's not listed as stolen, and check it in at US customs before you leave the Us, so they can't say you bought it in Canada.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thoughts on taking firearms to Canada. Check the serial number local to be sure it's not listed as stolen, and check it in at US customs before you leave the Us, so they can't say you bought it in Canada.

Bringing firearms into Canada requires filling out paperwork and registering with Canada customs at the border. Form includes serial numbers, so there's no issue about bringing it back to U.S.

Canadian citizens are precluded from purchasing ammunition unless they they have a card. U.S. citizens who travel with a firearm registered at the border can use their paperwork to purchase ammo in Canada. I've bought calibers not listed on the paperwork and nobody at Canadian Tire flinched. Unclear about rules for declaring your ammo purchases upon return, but we've never been asked and never declared. Canada allows you to travel into country with up to 200 rounds (perhaps that number's changed since I used to shoot trap in 2015, but I'm certain about that stupid number because a flat of shells for a weekend shoot is 250 rounds...forcing you to buy some locally).

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Caribou hunt is between $11,200 - $15,000+. I will leave my checkbook home.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Teeder,

Any recommendations or suggestions going through the border? How long did it take you? We are going via Calais MAINE. Leaving the 30th.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Teeder,

Any recommendations or suggestions going through the border? How long did it take you? We are going via Calais MAINE. Leaving the 30th.

Use this link.[img]https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...s-disease-covid-19/splash-arrivecan.html[/img]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Make sure when you fill out the form, Canada uses Postal Codes, Wabigoon is, P0V 2W0.

Use capital letters, and numerals.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
W,
We went to border and customs located at Bradley IAP and they checked out the guns and signed off on the form. Getting our covid test on Tuesday, Leave CT on Thursday and arrive in St. John’s with time to spare on the 72 hour clock. The new guys going with us are excited all get out. It is an adventure for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teeder,

There are actually 3 crossings at Calais. There is a small one at Milltown. It's the one that the locals use given much less traffic but I doubt there would be a lot anyways. I find this one the fastest and least hassle. It's the only one I go to when we go over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caribou hunt is between $11,200 - $15,000+. I will leave my checkbook home.

Here's one I saw there last yr. No tag. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teeder,

That's where we crossed. We used the smaller main street crossing. Got there at 7:00 am and where the only ones there. It took about 20 minutes and was very easy, though we had everything prepared before we got there.
They checked passports, vaccination records and proof of negative test (my results didn't show up until the night before), and had us pull out the rifles to check serial numbers against the certs we got from homeland security.
They also gave us randomized test packets to take with us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teeder,

Where did you have breakfast at Deer Lake??

We ate at the deer lake motel, right across the street from "the big stop".

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.