Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Message from a friend of mine on actual pricing he got quoted. I think he locked in on one of these buildings last week. Might have gotten a small discount because he mention my name... not sure.

I think these guys may have a pretty strong logistical Network and may service most of the CONUS states.

Again, not sure and nothing in it for me really other than to help folks. I think we have some super weird times coming.

Thinking about getting a third metal building myself.

Message from Mark...

"Thanks Leonard,

I bought a 24x40x12 with 3 10x10 garage doors and a regular door. This required the 12' wall instead of 10'. The total cost before tax was $12,895 - or $13.43 installed.

The doors with the extra height added $4,240. So, the total without the 3 10x10 garage doors (just one 36" door) would have been $9.01.

That is fully installed on any pad I have installed, probably have another $6,000 - $6,500 so I expect to be around $20sqft when finished. But, I only got one building."

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/15/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka, show pics of the finished building. Great thread cash, Keep us posted on how this is going

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
So, had a phone call with Robbie this morning and his boss Chad regarding the third building I may add. Decided the third building will be massively overbuilt. Possibly two foot on Center for the legs and roof and 2' on Center for the roof purlins. Same 30 ft wide and 48 ft long building with one 12 x 12 door and one 36 in man door.

Obviously I'm expecting a price increase per Sf because of the added structure. They are running it by the engineer now to see what the actual load will be. I am guessing 120 pounds per square foot or better.

I will Orient the third building for solar. Weight of the solar as well as a potential for 48 in of snow loading is the logic for the extra strength.

Robbie and his boss are doing everything they can to help me on price because I am getting three buildings.

What was amazing is that my particular Zone has not seen a price increase yet from one of the three main fabrication houses. They said every other Zone and every other fabrication house across the board has raised the prices by 20%.

Typically that would sound like a load of BS to upsell, but I don't think so.

Bottom line, they indicated that West Virginia, Ohio, the top of Virginia and a tiny part of Tennessee we're in the zone that has not seen an increase yet. I asked Robbie to send me a picture of the zone map and I will post it up as soon as I can.

Why am I doing all of this? There's some weird stuff going on in the US right now and I'm just trying to help like-minded folks that may want a metal building... understand and observe the process I'm going through.

No hard sell... and of course you're welcome to ignore this post and not comment negatively on this post to your heart's content and without permission.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/15/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Great thread,, thanks for taking the time and info,,

I AM AMERICA!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone looking to build a foundation for a steel framed building should consider these costs.

Price to :

Square and dig footing and form for the slab.

A minimum of 4" stone base for concrete slab

The cost of the concrete (It won't be a uniform 4" slab) . you'll need a thickened edge(footing) around perimeter to carry and distribute loads

6 mil poly to go beneath concrete anywhere you will be heating and cooling (code minimum), I install it everywhere

Crew to pour and finish concrete slab (and footing). It can be poured all at once.

Will your local codes require rebar in the footing? depends on location and/or plans

Will local codes require slab insulation? some local municipalities do , some do not

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Anyone looking to build a foundation for a steel framed building should consider these costs.

Price to :

Square and dig footing and form for the slab.

A minimum of 4" stone base for concrete slab

The cost of the concrete (It won't be a uniform 4" slab) . you'll need a thickened edge(footing) around perimeter to carry and distribute loads

6 mil poly to go beneath concrete anywhere you will be heating and cooling (code minimum), I install it everywhere

Crew to pour and finish concrete slab (and footing). It can be poured all at once.

Will your local codes require rebar in the footing? depends on location and/or plans

Will local codes require slab insulation? some local municipalities do , some do not

Correct...

One of my buildings will be a concrete slab. With a thickened Edge. 5 inch concrete, 4000 PSI with entrained air. Light broom finish. Entrained air concrete does not like a steel trowel. The thickened Edge will be 12 in. This does not comply with frost line requirements in most locations. My location is extremely Rocky with absolutely no mineral soil to hold moisture so I have no concerns whatsoever with frost heaving. Your conditions will probably vary substantially.

The other two metal buildings will have concrete footings in a backhoe excavated Trench. I will run double rebar in this footing. #4 or #5. On top of the footing I will run two or three or possibly four courses or 8" CMU (aka cinder block). I will grout fill the cells in the block and install strap metal that I will then teck screw to the bottom rail of the building.

By strap metal... I mean 2" wide x 12 gauge galvanized strapping. I will cut strapping pieces 12 in Long and weld a piece of rebar or a bolt on the bottom to be embedded in the concrete grout. Strapping will stick up about 4 inches. Self tapping hex head screws we'll secure it to the bottom rail of the metal building tube. Both on top and on the side. These strappings will be every three to four feet. Simpson joist hangers sells a variety of things including this strapping which is typically 8 or 10 ft long. It is Galvanized I will cut it and fabricate about 50 of these anchor straps. If you're confused how about what I am saying think about a traditional J Bolt but instead steel to Steel with a self-tapping screw.

These two metal buildings will not have a concrete slab at this time. They will be for heavy equipment and rough sawn lumber storage. But because the block comes out of the ground that will serve as form work in the future if I do decide to add a slab at a later date.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In VA :
you prob don’t need any insulation

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Two buildings, each 1500 sq ft

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In VA :

The metal roof will sweat inside when the humidity is high during cool mornings if not insulated.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
In VA :

The metal roof will sweat inside when the humidity is high during cool mornings if not insulated.

We were talking about slab insulation, but carry on

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Am curious why one would use air entrained concrete for an interior slab, unless that interior slab will be prone to moisture and freeze thaw activity.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Been working with a couple of vendors to get a metal building or two put on our property in West Virginia.

Steel prices are supposed to have a dramatic increase here shortly so I am going to try to get under contract for two of these buildings now and have them installed this summer after I can prep out the building pads.

I will post up the final quote and contract after I lock in.

I am looking at 30' x 40' and 30' x 50' buildings with one 12' x 12' roll up door as well as one man door. I'm having the buildings extra certified with tighter than normal structure because of snow loading on the roof potential.

The absolute sharp pencil quote that I have now for two buildings is around $29,000.

If each building is 1500 square feet that makes my cost less than $10 per square foot.

If a sheet of OSB is 32 square feet and cost $32 that is $1 per square foot in the raw for just OSB at Home Depot. $10 a square foot for a built building is incredibly cheap.

Like I said, once I have worked out all of the bugs and have a final quote and contract I will post up that information if anyone else is interested. Absolutely nothing in it for me other than to help other folks.

I am only posting this preliminary information for folks to think about. Again, once I work out the bugs if anyone is interested I'm happy to share the information.

May I ask what brand you are looking at, roof height and snow load? TIA.

Tarquin
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
We had a lot of delays this year... lost our son Rob back in April.

But in the past month or so we have been placing concrete slabs and footings for the two metal buildings. The buildings are being fabricated at this time. Installation hopefully will be in the next few weeks.

To say that concrete work on the side and top of a mountain is a challenge is a complete understatement.

There is only one batch plant available to us. 6 yards of concrete is the minimum and although the truck can haul 10 cubic yards two of those yards will pour out on the extremely steep grades of our roads and land.

Most "normal/city" concrete truck drivers will not attempt delivery because of the extreme conditions, but West Virginia drivers have the hair of the bear in them.

The grade is so extreme that if a driver misses a gear he has to back up and start over at the bottom of the mountain. Our batch plant has only one driver and one truck.

There has been a dramatic increase in costs in the steel industry, but the metal buildings are necessary for other build-out projects on the mountain. For example the welded wire mesh used in our slab has gone from $6 a sheet to $25 a sheet in the past six months time. The metal buildings increased by $3,200 each.

This is an album link... Best way to the whole picture essay.

West Virginia Buildout

Obviously we are beyond $10/SF at this time, but I am still hopeful that we will be under $20 for turnkey complete buildings (slab/electric etc.) we will see. I will continue to post updates.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear you lost your son.

No parent should ever have to go through that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good to see you posting again. Sorry to hear of your loss.
Whole different process building where you are.
PM me if you need help finding subs or materials.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
That is a decent price. I am putting in 23,000 Plus square feet of all steel buildings right now and steel plus erection is costing 17.30 dollars a square foot. That does include a lot of roll up doors however. All else is extra.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not sure about today’s prices but I’ll tell you my last steel building $$ from 2 yrs ago

44’ wide - 29’ deep with 4 roll up doors
$19k
Concrete $4400
Labor $4200
Total was $28k approx w/misc materials.

Ordered the building from JasonPremier building systems, then hired concrete & metal erector myself.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm also sadden to hear of your lose Cash. My God grant strength.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have considered doing a steel building house. We have friends who built one and the house portion is amazing. Then he has the rest of the building for storage and heated. Has a wood shop, saw mill and cold storage. Has the wood burner that burns the slab wood from his saw mill and scraps from the wood shop. Runs everything for heat in the floor.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Tag

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.