Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Gruffter, any updates ?

Was up on the stabby/cutty thread & thought I'd head back down here.

Giv'er a bump.

Thanks for the bump man. Jacked up my elbow, and so have been out of the shop for awhile. I did finish and send a couple off little while ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just started back in with baby steps to see how far I can push it. Have a chef and a carving knife I'm cranking out for a local order next.

Been beating the hell out of this guy all summer. Proof of concept I guess, and so far I'm more than happy. We'll see when comes time to dress a critter here soon hopefully. Almost put a pic on the cutty stabby thread, but figured it's kinda gauche since I am selling.

I have what is basically a 10" carving knife I'm going to post in the classifieds in the next couple days. Been sitting on it all summer, and was going to gift it to a relative, but changed my mind. I'll post pics of it here when I list it.

MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You knife smithx amaze my. Only chit I ever pound on Im trying to break, fix in the ground or both.

Look forward to you classified ad.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry about your elbow, that must sucketh !

Love your work Mate.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
That last one is really well done, heck of alot of work.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Heres'a. couple I just completed for a local order. He wanted the deep hammer marks in the spine. More time on the hammer and less time at the grinder. smile.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Those are nice!

👍🏻👍🏻

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you sir.

And a belated thanks to FatCity, 99's, and poboy.

FatCity I'm going to list that knife tonight and see if anybody is interested. Kinda forgot about it lol

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I just got this knife from Gruff in the mail today. This knife is extremely well made and very nice to look at. Can't wait to put this bad boy to work. Thanks again Gruff!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for you Mr 'Gittr !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

I just got this knife from Gruff in the mail today. This knife is extremely well made and very nice to look at. Can't wait to put this bad boy to work. Thanks again Gruff!

My pleasure sir, thanks for the business.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool👍

Gotta check this thread more.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Made this for a close friend that's retiring. Was LEO K9 most of his career, so I asked his wife if she could snag me one of his leashes so I could incorporate it into the handle. She thought it was a great idea, and got me the leash of his first dog. I was a little uneasy cutting it up, but she was adamant. Put a lot of hours into this one, got it done just a couple hours before I gifted it to him at his retirement party. He was very moved by it and happy with the knife.

Blade is san mai construction, 1095 core, and a section of a collapsable steel baton for the outside layers (another nod to his profession). Handle is stacked leather and canvas micarta. The leash was too narrow to be able to do the whole handle in stacked leather like I had wanted, but I think it still turned out ok. If you look close you can see a little unevenness, but I was constrained by the leather dimensions and did what I could. Guard and pommel are brass. Took the pics before final polish and final edge. I didn't get any more pics, but the spine I forged down to about 1/8" at the guard, and tapered to the point. Hidden tang obviously smile. I had wanted to do a threaded pommel but didn't have time to order one and I don't have any taps, so hogged out a hole in a section of rod, filled it with epoxy when I glued up the handle and pinned it in place. It should be a solid knife for him for a long time.

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cool!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always liked the Forged Finish.

"Maybe we're all happy."

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks guys. Might make up another one for myself for gits and shiggles.

Another buddy retiring I might try and do something with a chainsaw chain and magazine bodies.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really cool knife, leash material, and recipient, BGG. Those dog handlers and K9s have my respect and I really dig how you are making these personal and not just "custom".

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That’s phuquing outstanding.
Guaranteed that handler will cherish that forever.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 12/23/21.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Stacked leather is really sweet. That’s a nice blade.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
THanks 4thpoint, finding my niche I guess maybe. smile

Thanks George. I hadn't intended to use the leash from his FIRST DOG, sheesh, I really felt the pressure. After a couple decades instructing and running K9's I figured it'd be a cool homage to his career. Thankfully he was cool with it.

Jackmountain, I'd only made a couple stacked handles prior to this, but I definitely will be turning out more. I dig em too. Thanks for the compliment.

As an aside, if anybody sees something they like, or have an idea for something they might want made that falls within what I've shown I can do I'm more than happy to take on work.

Making a couple things for the wife I'll post up when they are done. My first try at a serrated breadknife and a spatula from a rasp.

MAGA
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.