Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by abbydog
For me it’s 1300 miles plus the ferry ride. On the way home we will attempt a non stop once we arrive in North Sydney. Be home by midnight.

Make sure you book a room on the ferry. It is money well spent, esp if your doing a lot of driving the next day.

I hope to post when I’m at the lodge. Next year my wife and i are thinking of spending 3 weeks in the Maritime’s. Maybe looking for a referral for a guide to do some fishing Supercub

I can't help with the fishing as I haven't wet a line in years but I'd be happy to buy you a coffee on the way through. I live in Saint John, just an hour east of Calais ME. smile

Cabins on the ferry are not available, due to covid. They don't even have the restaurant open. Just a deli/coffee bar. Bring snacks, pillows and prepare for a somewhat sleepless night. I don't do well with 100 dudes snoring.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We did book a room, need a good nights sleep and shower.

That's interesting, we were told they weren't using the cabins when I booked months ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Bringing firearms into Canada requires filling out paperwork and registering with Canada customs at the border. Form includes serial numbers, so there's no issue about bringing it back to U.S."

+1

Neither time we've done this have the us border asked a single question about our firearms.
All we did this time was declare the moose meat and fill out an import form when we got to the border.
Pretty easy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
Cabins on the ferry are not available, due to covid. They don't even have the restaurant open. Just a deli/coffee bar. Bring snacks, pillows and prepare for a somewhat sleepless night. I don't do well with 100 dudes snoring.

That's weird. I went across last fall and they wanted you to use the cabins to limit contact with others. I got a room both ways, no problem.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Teeder
All we did this time was declare the moose meat and fill out an import form when we got to the border.
Pretty easy.

Importing the meat is easy with a completed form. But, if you get a bull, the antlers are different matter. Returning to Michigan, we're not allowed to import skull or any brain matter unless it's been fully taxiderm'ed. If you cutoff the antlers at the base, you'll be okay. Don't know whether this affects all U.S. border crossings, or only Michigan. Personally, I think it's a wink-and-nod between U.S. and Canada to give more business to Canadian taxidermists. Brain born & prion diseases are a non-issue for moose in Canada.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Have a safe enjoyable hunt men!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"But, if you get a bull, the antlers are different matter."

They asked if we kept the antlers, but never looked. Didn't open the coolers, just made me open the tailgate.

We could have had 600 lbs of Pot! laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good luck Steve and others! Always wanted to do this trip. Sounds like quite an adventure..,

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you end up going through Montreal like we did customs is a disaster, allow lots of time. We missed connecting flights and had to overnight on the way in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a side note, everyone in camp saw a shooter caribou, but only one guy had a tag. It was 5k extra for bou tags where we were at.

IC B3

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
As of September 22nd New Brunswick as their rules, haven’t checked them out yet.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Teeder, I’ll call Maritime Canada and get the scoop on the cabins, thanks for the heads up.
Our taxidermist wants the hides so we may have a problem bringing them back. I would do a European Mount on the skull and. Prefer to bring it home but not opposed to leaving it in NF and picking up next year on a return trip or possibly a fishing trip.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
DId you tell the border agent YES re: antlers? When we went through US customs, the agent said, Line up, I’ll give the forms, don’t do anything until i tell you. Fill out sections 1,2,3,4 and sign and date. Thank you and congratulations.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cut horns off leaving skull plate attatched—scoop out brain matter—skin skull plate—pour Clorox (Javex) over skull plate. No problem at Michigan border last year

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We told him yes about having antlers. He never asked to see them, though.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I just went through this morning heading north. The Canadian border folks signed my rifle form without even looking at it. easiest northbound passage I have ever had.

I hope the US guys are as good southbound in 10 days

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hi, goodi to know.

noKnees, who is your outfitter? We are going to Tuckamore Lodge, the western Peniinsula, 400 miles from Port Aux Basque. Staying in Deer Lake next Saturday night. I checked in my rifles at Bradley IAP Border and Customs. He didn’t check the serial numbers and looked in one of my cases and not the other. HE said they will check at the border which I knew. Signed the form, BS’d for 15 minutes and went home.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Did they test you coming back either Canadians or US?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were given "randomized test kits" to take with us when we crossed the border into Canada.
The instructions were: when we arrive at our destination we were to create an account on line, take the test, then someone would come to our destination to pick the tests up. I told him we were going to be in the middle of nowhere with no internet connection. He smiled and said "do our best".
We didn't do it. No one else in camp got the kits.
There were no covid related questions when we came back to the US.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.