Hop To
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Muhungo Camp 21:00 Saturday September 11

Today we went to the pump at the waterhole, the solar panel system was unable to be repaired, the generator was dead. Jacques had one of his generators out in place and had the waterhole filled.

We had lunch with Jacques’ friend Francois; the biologist who in charge of Kifi the fish hatchery and research centre just north of the park, his wife and two young children.

In the evening we went back to waterhole and saw two elephant.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Muhungo Camp 21:30 Sunday September 12

Jacques, Francois and I took Jacques boat up the river to the Mahango Lodge to watch the Springbok vs Australia rugby game. We fished on the way up and down but we caught nothing. We did see the Pagos falls (rapids) and 3 crocodiles Francois has satellite tagged to se how they move throughout the Kavanago and how far inland they will travel (its much further than you would think). It was a great day despite not catching the fish and I learned a great deal in the process.

The remainder of the trip was the journey home, a 12 hour drive from the Kavanago to Kowas; an hour past the Windhoek international airport.

A day at Kowas to allow for COVID testing with a good long walk through Kowas, then a morning at Kowas before Ansie took me to town where we had lunch, spoke with the taxidermist and off to the airport. Now the long journey home ensues.

General impressions:

-small knives work as well as large, when one of the buffalo were being skinned I watched for interest sake and helped the lads by sharpening their knives. Just to see how things went I gave Peter one on the small swing knives I had with me, a single bladed knife with a 2 3/4 - 3 “ blade. As the knife was sharp it proved to be very useful and functioned just as well if if not better than the larger knives the other skinners used, better in most cases because it had a better edge. Even on a very big animal small blades are just fine.

-camp is well organized, clean and pleasant with excellent views across the Kavango River. With the traditional semi-permanent tents as accommodation.

-the staff are pleasant and helpful, Wayne the chef is a delight. He has unique takes on some classic things like tartar sauce which are amazing.

-Humphrey and Peter the trackers are very good and what they and work well in concert with each other and Jacques.

-Jacques is a committed and hard working PH who is an excellent and calm communicator. He was a joy to hunt with and works hard to fill every request.

-there a constant background aroma of smoke as we are approaching the rainy season so people are burning of the old grass, which compounds with that a great many people us wood fire for their sole source of heat for any purpose.

-poverty is quite real here. There is a distinct shortage of employment, as a result poaching is a very real problem especially of the fish reserves in the Kavango River. People still go to the river daily for drinking water and for bathing despite the presence of hippos and crocodiles. I gather a young man was killed by a hippo several days ago not too far from here.

-the biggest downside to hunting in Africa is the travel, most especially during COVID times. I am close to $1500 CDN in additional expenses solely related to COVID testing, insurance etc. Getting through the Namibian airport was a real experience, luckily Ansie got me set up with one of the guys who work the carts for tips who know the systems and he saved me at least 30 minutes in line ups, still leaving me at least 30 -35 minutes in various lineups.

Eurowings in Namibia had my bags tagged as destination Frankfurt, after much debate that they had to be tagged destination Calgary and to checked directly through to Calgary, I was told that there was problems with their computer and it could not tagged Calgary but it was no problem and any Air Canada or Lufthansa person could easily redirect the bags into the system without me needing to touch the bags. My plans were as soon as I got off the plane at about 5:00 AM in Frankfurt would be to track someone down and make sure things are as the Eurowings person in Namibia had said

A lovely lady from Lufthansa told me my bags were in the baggage carousel as if I had Frankfurt as my final destination. I cleared German customs in order to get my bags.
I got the bags with no problems, and went to check in with Air Canada, very helpful people. Germany does not require any permits on firearms that are checked through, those that enter Germany require a permit, therefore I was in the situation of illegally entering Germany with a firearm. Two cops arrive and we go over the rifle, my Canadian Export documents the Air Canada documents from the flight out and my itinerary. One of the cops asked if I know the kind of situation I’m in, I say “yes, I’m up to here (hand at neck) in manure because I have illegally imported a firearm and you two need to decide whether you are shovelling on more manure or if you are digging me out”. The cop smiled and said I think you are okay. All ended up well but chewed up close to three hours to get it sorted.

Mammals seen on this trip in no order (31):

Warthog, Red Hartebeest, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala, Springbok, Grey Duiker, Zebra (Burchell’s), Jackal, Giraffe, Mongoose, Meerkat, African Wildcat, Cape Buffalo, Nyala, Sable, Black Wildebeest, Hippo, Blue Wildebeest, Chobe Bushbuck, Sable, Roan, Reedbuck, Tsessebe, Baboon, Vervet Monkey, Elephant, Blesbuck, Steenbok,

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url

Reptiles seen;

Crocodile, Monitor Lizard, Gecko, Red Headed Skink (descriptive perhaps not correct name)Birds Identified, far more were seen than were properly identified (52)

Kori Bustard, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Adbims Stork, Sacred Ibis, African Spoonbill, Red Billed Francolin, Helmeted Guinnea Fowl, Cape Turtle Dave, Laughing (Palm) Dove, African Hoopoe, Yellow Hornbill, Forktaied Drongo, Glossy Starling, Lilac Breasted Roller, Grassveld Pipit, Grey Heron, South African Shellduck, Pied Kingfisher, Egyptian Goose, African Darter,
Crimson Breasted Shrike, African Fish Eagle, Red Crested Korhan, African Jacana, Swallow Tailed Bee eater, Swansons Francolin, Blacksmith Plover, Grey Lourie (Go away Bird), Pearl Breasted Swallow, Ostrich, Dabchick, White Browed Robin Chat, Wood Hoopoe, Namaqua Dove, Greater Scimitarbill, Carmine Bee Eater, Blue waxbill, Marico Sunbird, Greater Striped swallow, Lappetfaced Vulture, Yellow Crowned (Golden) Bishop, Pin Tailed Whydah, Senegal Coucal, Burchell’s Starling, Little Sparrowhawk, Pied Crow,Tawny Eagle, Batelur, Double Banded Sandgrouse, White Backed Vulture

[url=https://postimg.cc/hf0F5C9D][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

To sum up; great trip, fantastic people, more hunting than I ever expected on one trip, the only downside is the hassle of travel in Covid times.

I would gladly and enthusiasictally encourage any one of thinking of hunting Africa to do so and to put Kowas Adventure Safaris and Jacques Strauss at the top of your list of potential outfitters. The entire Kowas group were fantastic!!

Last thought Kowas is pronounced Koovahs

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
awesome read. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the write up GRF. I enjoyed it.

You didn't bite on a lechwe or other critter?

Glad you made it home safe.

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
No AB I spent all my budget on buffalo and COVID testing and insurance

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoyed your report immensely (all 4 entries)! 4 buff in one trip is fantastic. Really love that last old bull. Well done, man!

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fantastic report and great pics. Thanks for posting your adventure for us to share. I'm biased, but I wholeheartedly agree with your Kowas rec. They are absolutely superb in every way.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for posting a well written report and congratulations on a wonderful buffalo hunt. I almost didn’t read it due to being 4 separate posts (I thought 4 posts about plains game would be a bit much) but I’m glad I did. I leave for Tanzania in less than a month, with 3 buffalo on license; so your report definitely got my interest.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good stuff - thanks.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done and what a magnificent adventure.
I truly enjoyed all 4 posts. I am once again longing to return to Africa. I could smell the smoke in the air and feel the sweat on my brow as I read your posts.
Thank you for posting in such detail.......Ed

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for all the kind words.

Hopefully all those dreaming about Africa are able to make their first or their next trip.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the report! I would gladly trade one “trophy” for more experiences. Good choice and a great read!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How are Dani and Ansie doing?

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
They are doing very well. Very happy to be Grandparents as Jacques and Elleni’s son Joshua is a year old.

They are bright and pleasant. Danie still has the entrepreneurial fire in his belly, it showed when chatted about new possible business ventures in Namibia. Ansie was a great help in the planning and execution of my trip, a true delight of a woman.

Both Danie and Ansie are happy to handing off more of the responsibilities of Kowas business to Jacques and Elleni.

No news to those who know them but the entire Strauss clan I met are wonderful and delightful people.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all four of your hunt reports. Thank you for taking the time to write such a story. And thank you for your response to my question about solid bullets for Africa.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Al you are most welcome sir

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
276 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.