Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I've had a good amount of time while glassing this season to think again about the best hunting rifle setup for Alaska. I have been hunting with a 338 the last two years with the idea that it can be great everywhere but it has been occurring to me that as great as it is, it's not as 'perfect' as either of those in the below respective regions, and there's really no reason to limit myself to one great hunting rifle. The idea being that the rifle is great for the intended big game found in those areas while also still plenty good for the more rare unexpected situations. The set up would simply be this:

- A 30 cal for interior GMU's or higher elevations that usually have pretty open country with higher chances of longer range shots. These hunts for me have a lot more hiking involved so a lighter weight rifle is also better.
- A 375 cal for coastal GMU's or lower elevations where vegetation is usually thicker, shots are shorter range, and bears are larger. I might even say a 416 could take this role if all other rifle characteristics were the same and it would be fun to throw 400 gr pills. Rifle weight (or lack thereof) isn't very important.

Happy to hear other ideas and perspectives in this. And yes, I understand there's a good argument to make for one gun, a 30-06 for everything but I am still young enough to explore the other options before I settle on that smile

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
AK mtnrunner,

Like you, I've had lots of time on the winter trail by dog team and snowshoe, and thousands of miles of river by freighter canoe, to THINK, with rifle in hand.

Now I've tried the one gun thing, didn't even last 8 months.

30 mph winds in open winter country, my rifle had to be short and light. Any longer than 40 inches, it wouldn't fit my dogsled scabbard. Had to be moderate recoil for good practice at extended range. Had to be good for long shots on winter Caribou and have some gusto for spring bear:

338RCM carbine.

On the rivers, i need the big, rut-charged bull moose ANCHORED on dry hround, not seconds later in a swampy oxbow, or dead in the river.

416 ruger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/23/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed 2 grizzly bears in AK. One was with a 375 Ruger & the other with a 30/06. Both were 1 shot killls. I've killed everything else in the lower 48------from moose to antelope and everything in between with a 30/06. When grizzly are in the mix-----I would not put the 30/06 there.

IMO---the 30/06 in AK, it didn't give me the confidence in it. 375 Ruger was OK. If I lived there permanent And grizzly/brown bears were in the mix----I would pick a 300 Win Mag. It shoots flat enough for goats & sheep. It's perfect for moose. Caribou are pretty easy to kill. A 200 grain Nolser partition will handle a grizzly.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
i carried an 06 for years moose hunting Those two gallon pilesof steaming acat in 20 rard or less visibility spots concerned me so i bought a 338WM

it worked too in my 53 years here ive never shot a brown/gris, nor desire too

unless its a silvertip I'll make an exception there

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had to run 1 rifle up here it would be the 30-06 but thankfully I don't have to limit it to just one rifle.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had to whittle down what I already owned to just one, living in coastal ak and hunting mostly in big brownie country, I'd probably take my kimber .375hh.
Small solid bullets punch pretty little holes through deer, and I load a few heavy loads down my magazine for the brownies.

The longer I hunt in this thick crap the more I like the short barrels. No longer than 21in. Nearly none of my shots are much more than 50yds anyways, except for spring bears on the beaches can be longer. But I use my 24inch 300wsm on dedicated spring bear hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I have no experience with hunting Alaska, I'll just throw this out.....

IMO the .375 Magnums are a bit much for lighter deer size game.....as a one-gun hunter, I'd look closely at the .35 Whelen....it has a wide variety of bullets available and among them one will fill the task of large bears.

As a two-gun hunter.....I'd give consideration to just adding a 7-08

Last edited by vapodog; 09/23/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I run a 35 Whelen for everything except tundra bou.

Run as light as 180 for deer (or even lighter if you use 357 pistol bullets), or as heavy as 310 for moose and bear. Covers everything I need out to 300 yards plus.

For Tundra bou, I have an '06 running 165's.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve killed close to 100 blacktails with a .375, from 5 to 300 yards, using 300gr partitions and the old Hornady RNs of the same weight. It tears them up less than any .270 or ‘06 load I’ve used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I’ve killed close to 100 blacktails with a .375, from 5 to 300 yards, using 300gr partitions and the old Hornady RNs of the same weight. It tears them up less than any .270 or ‘06 load I’ve used.

This has been my experience as well. (Although not on nearly as many deer)
My buddy hunts with a .338wm on admiralty and I've seen that tear volleyball sized holes in those little blacktail.

Last edited by 907brass; 09/23/21.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 907brass

My buddy hunts with a .338wm on admiralty and I've seen that tear volleyball sized holes in those little blacktail.

What bullet?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
absoutely no intention of cooking moose tag soup....

my short range moose guns are also my long range moose guns, have zero use for a cartridge that is not fully capable of dumping moose at 1500 yards, hence... I only hunt with 300 RUM & 338 Edge minimum ...

rule #1 .... Don't screw yourself before you leave the house, always take more gun .......

has worked for 34 years of killing moose

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
If I was living up in Alaska permanently I think I would use my 325 WSM Kimber Montana for my all around rifle.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
22-24" 300 ultra, 1 and done for everything everywhere. Bullett technology is the real change. Monos like hammers or ceb or even barnes if they are fast enough. Little meat damage and dramatic results. A scope swap lets you operate in any scenario near or far.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I've had a good amount of time while glassing this season to think again about the best hunting rifle setup for Alaska. I have been hunting with a 338 the last two years with the idea that it can be great everywhere but it has been occurring to me that as great as it is, it's not as 'perfect' as either of those in the below respective regions, and there's really no reason to limit myself to one great hunting rifle. The idea being that the rifle is great for the intended big game found in those areas while also still plenty good for the more rare unexpected situations. The set up would simply be this:

- A 30 cal for interior GMU's or higher elevations that usually have pretty open country with higher chances of longer range shots. These hunts for me have a lot more hiking involved so a lighter weight rifle is also better.
- A 375 cal for coastal GMU's or lower elevations where vegetation is usually thicker, shots are shorter range, and bears are larger. I might even say a 416 could take this role if all other rifle characteristics were the same and it would be fun to throw 400 gr pills. Rifle weight (or lack thereof) isn't very important.

Happy to hear other ideas and perspectives in this. And yes, I understand there's a good argument to make for one gun, a 30-06 for everything but I am still young enough to explore the other options before I settle on that smile

I have come to the same conclusion as you. My working gun is a light weight 300 Win Mag, ammo is easy to find; and with a muzzle break it kicks like a 243. When out for moose and brown bears, it's the 375 H and H. One thing nice about the 300 that people never seem to mention. If you hand load, you can push it like a 30-06, but never the other way around.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
If I had to run 1 rifle up here it would be the 30-06 but thankfully I don't have to limit it to just one rifle.

My feelings also. that's why I have three 30-06.... and some others.

I type better on this computer than on the iPhone, by the way..... smile

Last edited by las; 09/24/21.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Swamplord
absoutely no intention of cooking moose tag soup....

my short range moose guns are also my long range moose guns, have zero use for a cartridge that is not fully capable of dumping moose at 1500 yards, hence... I only hunt with 300 RUM & 338 Edge minimum ...

rule #1 .... Don't screw yourself before you leave the house, always take more gun .......

has worked for 34 years of killing moose

Is shooting moose at 1500 yards really a thing?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
He didn't say he could do it - or has done it - he said the rifle was capable of it. Semantics, my man....

I've a 30-06 easily capable of 1,000 yard shots - gives 3 shot, inch groups, at 300.

Unfortunately, my capability gets toiletry at 500.or so... smile

And if one is a hunter, rather than a shooter, that's enough, as is a 30-06.

I'm carrying the 725 in .260 more and more... Old age sucks.

Last edited by las; 09/24/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before I joined the AF, I worked with a guy that had just gotten out and was stationed here most of his career. He told me to either get a .338 WM or .300 WM and be done if I ever got stationed here. The first rifle I bought after getting here, was a Remington 700 SPS SS .300 WM. While I now have a lot more guns, that .300 WM is still my most used one. It’s never failed me in the field. Yeah, it had a feeding issue when I first got it, but Remington sent a new internal magazine and fixed the problem. I have shot to a ton more since that issue and never a problem. I can’t say that about my Remington 700 BDL .300 WSM though.

Last edited by Hudge; 09/24/21.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
He didn't say he could do it - or has done it - he said the rifle was capable of it. Semantics, my man....

I've a 30-06 easily capable of 1,000 yard shots - gives 3 shot, inch groups, at 300.

Ha ha. Texted a friend the other day that I think I'm too old to be shooting a 338 anymore!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las

Ha ha. Texted a friend the other day that I think I'm too old to be shooting a 338 anymore!

That got me wondering . . . a 338 Edge shooting a 300 gr Bergers elite hunter with G7 of .419 at above max text book load 2675 fps comes to about 1320 fps and 1160 ft-lbs at 1500 yards. I am going to assume there is some hyperbole in his post.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh ye of little faith ....

I did say the 338 Edge & 300 RUM were minimum ...

Now crunch the numbers again with a 550 gr 416 cal bullet with .525 G7 bc bullet at 3250 fps .....

300 Norma Mag and 375 Ruger for reference ... and yes, size does matter, just ask her, lol !

Trouble is, 99.9% of the Campfire members are referencing generic run of the mill factory vanilla cartridges and get all mired up in math that does not apply in our world

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would think that most moose are slain with vanilla cartridges at <300 yards in the real world. I may be mistaken.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I would think that most moose are slain with vanilla cartridges at <300 yards in the real world. I may be mistaken.

mike r

Ha ha! Yup mostly "vanilla cartridges" and most shot at far, far less than 300 yards... especially since mistaking antler configuration can mess up your life a bit.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd stick with your 338 if it's a 338 win mag. It can be stretched to respectable distances in higher and more open areas. It's not handicapped.

I don't live in Alaska but for logistics sake I'd aquire a light rifle in 30-06 to go along with the 338. In Alaska logistics are important and I'd wager 338 win mag is more common there than the lower 48 and of course the 30-06 is universal.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I should say that I hand load and already own a 375 ruger and a couple 308's. I am thinking of adding a lightweight 300 wsm now.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the 338 win mag a lot and if I had to pick one for all of my hunting that might be it. It might be the most 'Alaskan' cartridge if you ask me. But the 30 and 375 calibers are so good at what they do and so well matched in the rifles they are used in. A 300 wsm isn't too much for a ultralight rifle and if I am going to tote around 8-9 lb rifle for coastal bears or moose in wet areas like Mainer talked about, I may as well throw a 375 bullet or more. By now, I can pretty much predict with good odds of what the shooting situation will be before I leave the house. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind next week wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of my friends killed moose this year, but my wife and I didn't find a legal bull. My friends used a .270 WSM, .358 Win., .300 Win., 30-06 and .35 Whelen. Bullets were the Nosler Accubond and Partitions and the Barnes TTSX.

I don't remember any of the shots being much over 150 yards and most much closer. Most were lung shots and usually one shot. Most of these guys been killing moose for awhile and know what to expect when they shoot a moose in the lungs.

Much of the state has antler restrictions with a 50" minimum spread and/or three to four brow tines on at least one side. So to be sure before the trigger is pulled getting close is important, identifying a legal moose at long distance ain't easy.

I consider the 30-06, 35 Whelen, .300 Win. and .338 Win. Mag. very good "all around" calibers for all of Alaska's big game.

I am also a Mod. 70 fan and grew up with them and I consider the older Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" with the old style Win. trigger a wonderful basis for a semi-custom rifle. Combined with a Bansners stock, a very reliable trigger and the ability to field strip the bolt with out tools the end result is years of trouble free service.

I hunted moose with my .338 Mod. 70 this year, if it had developed a problem my back up moose rifle was a my wife's Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. loaded with 203 grain Shock Hammer bullets and topped off with a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 with a German #4 reticle. I consider it a 200 yard moose set up at best.

I have owned four Three Seven Five rifles, two pre-64 Mod. 70's, a "Stainless Classic" Mod. 70 and a Sako Carbine with the two piece full stock and 20" barrel. I never hunted with any of them and never felt the need to. Winchester always put a heavy barrel on their .375's and the rifle's were to heavy. Ruger got the barrel contour for a .375 about perfect in my opinion. But, I much prefer the Winchester action and trigger over the Ruger.

Lots of different rifles and calibers and bullets work just fine for Alaska. That is proven year after year, etc. The right bullet at the right impact velocity and put in the right place on a critter works all the time.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This has been an interesting thread.

I believe in selecting a caliber, cartridge, boolit, wink and rifle appropriate to the quarry, terrain, and each individual’s ability.

YMMV and that’s ok. 👍

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
33 Years in Alaska and I mostly used a 338 Win Mag. Handled everything I needed, and was very pleased with it. Rugers Stainless rifles is good steel. Only exceptions is I shot a big moose and a grizzly in Haines with my 375 H&H, and some Caribou up on the slope with my 30-06 out of Barrow. If I was a one rifle guy it would be a 338WM, and I'm totally sold on the 250 NP. That's all I used.

IB I don't see you being to old to use a 338 WM. Might be the right caliber for you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by las

That got me wondering . . . a 338 Edge shooting a 300 gr Bergers elite hunter with G7 of .419 at above max text book load 2675 fps comes to about 1320 fps and 1160 ft-lbs at 1500 yards. I am going to assume there is some hyperbole in his post.

you're quoting incorrect velocity for 300 gr Berger bullets in the 338 Edge, average velocity is around 2850 fps for most rifles, mine has a 30" barrel and runs right around 2900 fps, that's a big difference .... Shawn Carlock and many other have shown how effective it is in killing elk out to a mile and we've taken large bull moose out to 1270 yards with the 300 RUM

run into a bunch of guys who complain that they saw a "giant bull with two sheets of plywood attached to his head" off a hill, but it was 600-800 yards out and when they tried to close the distance the bull vanished

All I could think is "fookn idiots" ... could of shot the damn thing from where they were at... these guys set themselves up to fail before they left town, shi tty choice in cartridge and bullet, lack of proper practice .. true story

as for the "it's not hunting, it's shooting" guys .... I've never met anyone who tracked a moose to death, everyone shoots them... regardless of range

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
33 Years in Alaska and I mostly used a 338 Win Mag. Handled everything I needed, and was very pleased with it. Rugers Stainless rifles is good steel. Only exceptions is I shot a big moose and a grizzly in Haines with my 375 H&H, and some Caribou up on the slope with my 30-06 out of Barrow. If I was a one rifle guy it would be a 338WM, and I'm totally sold on the 250 NP. That's all I used.

IB I don't see you being to old to use a 338 WM. Might be the right caliber for you.

Yeah, buddy. Mighta been a wee bit tongue-in-cheek! Also, it was off the bench and not ‘holding on hair’.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Yeah, buddy. Mighta been a wee bit tongue-in-cheek! Also, it was off the bench and not ‘holding on hair’.

[/quote]

Yep, "holding on hair, makes all the difference." Hope you have a good hunt this year.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Of 21 or 22 moose bulls I've killed, only 3 were over 100 yards, none over 200. Average even with those is about 60 yards. I cannot recall ever seeing, while hunting, a "shooter" (God I hate that term!), farther than 300 yards out to a mile that would have given me time , to find or build a rest before he disappeared. Terrain features in the hunting area could make a difference no doubt. I've just never hunted in such country for moose.

Caribou, on the other hand.... but I can still usually find one within 500 yards, and/or close the difference.

The problem with the shootzenboomer boys is they tend to stretch their own capabilities beyond the bench. Not unique in that regard, I will freely admit. It's just that the longer the distance, the more can go wrong. Some are willing to push that. Some make good judgement calls, and have the necessary skills and equipment to make those questionable shots. Usually. I have no doubt there are a number on here that can make 1,000 yard shots on paper, and probably on game. But should you?

I think it was JJHack that said "There are 100 things that can happen at long range, and only one of them is good".

My opinion is based on several observed instances of "crack shots" with all the "right" equipment and hours of practice, mostly on the bench.

YMMV - opinions are worth what you paid for them.

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Swamplord,what is your scope choice and what does your rifle weigh?

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 09/29/21.

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If I was restricted to one caliber I would choose the .338 Win Mag. My rifle puts most bullets of 200-225gr into almost a ragged hole. The rifle doesn’t like Partitions and they open the group up to 1.5+” which would work for damn near anything that rifle would be asked to do but since it loves TBBC, TSX, TTSX, A-Frames, Core-Lokts, Power Points… and every other bullet I’ve tried (except Partitions) I don’t care if it doesn’t like the Partitions. It even liked the notoriously picky original Barnes X bullets. The original X bullets are what initially turned me on to the monos. It shot them into less than .5” for a 3 shot group….which for a magnum hunting rifle is more than good enough. A 5 shot group is pointless in a rifle that doesn’t even hold 5 rounds….mental masturbation for midget minded target shooters. 😂. Give me an accurate cold bore shot and 2 more touching the first and I’ll keep killing everything I point it at. Longest kill with that rifle was a cow elk at 537 yards down in the Uinta’s in Utah.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mine isn't that good - but with shoulder spaced handholds it will go MOA without too much trouble for 3 shots . I have one load using 250 SGK that was not worked up - just thrown together to get rid of the GK- that put 3 into .75, then the next 3 into 1.1 at 200 yards, the next 3 printed between those two group sizes.. That was in the swamp out back, using the snow machine seat as a rest. So much for junk loads to just shoot up!

I used those for a couple years - I still have 3 rounds left - maybe I should look that one up and do some reloading again. smile

Same thing happened with some really ugly Hornady 250RN, which go MOA +/-consistently. I've about 30 of those left.

Haven't hunted with the rifle in 15 years or so. Put 3 RN thru it at the range back in late July when it was being considered for the caribou hunt - still MOA.

I hope those cartridges don't spoil over time....... smile

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I am surprised no one is using AR-10 for big game hunting Alaska. I now mostly carry an AR-10 with 12.5" barrel chambered in .308 Winchester.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AGL4now
I am surprised no one is using AR-10 for big game hunting Alaska. I now mostly carry an AR-10 with 12.5" barrel chambered in .308 Winchester.

I guess with the AR-10, a heavy rifle, one would have to empty the magazine on a big brown bear.

I've always read a bigger caliber was best for a big fat bear. The reason was that there was so much fat on one, as well as muscle, that the bear wouldn't show a good blood trail if you had to find him. A big hole would open up the wound and he would bleed out quicker. That is/was the reasoning for a minimum 375 in most African countries. I would suppose it would be the same for Alaska, especially with the big bears.

I've never been to Alaska, but if I did, I would take my minimum 35 Whelen. Or I would buy a new Ruger 375 or 416, since they are lighter for all day carry and have standard length bolts. Otherwise it would be a 375 H&H, or 416 Rigby.

The 9.3x62 might also be a good one.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I'm taking a 338-06 deer hunting to one of the ABC islands this year. 225 Accubonds at 2720 fps. All shots are short range.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I think my classic stainless model 70 in 338-06 would get the nod.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I'm taking a 338-06 deer hunting to one of the ABC islands this year. 225 Accubonds at 2720 fps. All shots are short range.

I hope you’ll post the story of your hunt when you get back. I’m hoping to do that myself within the next several years. 👍. I gotta get the big boat up north first then I’ll spend a few years concentrating on the bucket list stuff.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I'll take some pics.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What bullet?

I believe it was a Core-lokt, so admittedly not a great bullet. Either way, it was clearly one designed to break apart upon hitting something hard (the front shoulder) but out of the 338WM it was moving fast enough for some of the shrapnel to exit out the other side.
I keep showing him my small exit wounds with the monolithic bullets and I think I'm finally getting his attention.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Swamplord,what is your scope choice and what does your rifle weigh?

mike r

I have a number of long range rifles in cartridges I developed for that purpose
Scope I use and prefer is the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x 56mm but I also have Sightron Slll 4-24x scopes, the Burris XTR2 3-15x are on my usual wildcat guns for everyday gen. hunting use from rock throwing distance to 1k as they are all on 20 moa Nightforce rails and super tuned up with handloaded ammo

my factory guns in 7.82 Warbird, 30-378 Wby, 300 RUM, 340 Wby, 8mm Rem Mag, 300 Wby, 300 Win Mag all have the Burris Veracity 3-15x scopes

theres many others ... older stuff I've had for a bit with Burris Signature, Black Diamond scopes and Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes...... all 4-16x and all sit on 20 moa rails for max effective range capabilities , I absolutely abhor going in the field hamstrung and limited to rock throwing, pizzing on the fence ditances

most rifles have 30-32" barrels & weigh 12-16 lbs, except the factory guns which have 26" barrels (24" a few) .. weight varies from 7-12 lbs or so

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
AK mtnrunner,

Like you, I've had lots of time on the winter trail by dog team and snowshoe, and thousands of miles of river by freighter canoe, to THINK, with rifle in hand.

Now I've tried the one gun thing, didn't even last 8 months.

30 mph winds in open winter country, my rifle had to be short and light. Any longer than 40 inches, it wouldn't fit my dogsled scabbard. Had to be moderate recoil for good practice at extended range. Had to be good for long shots on winter Caribou and have some gusto for spring bear:

338RCM carbine.

On the rivers, i need the big, rut-charged bull moose ANCHORED on dry hround, not seconds later in a swampy oxbow, or dead in the river.

416 ruger

what no more love for the 9.3x62 ...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Phil,
The ole nine three was in the freighter canoe this season. An original Oberndorf sporting Mauser made in 1922. It was stoked with 300 grain A-frame/60 grains RL 16 handloads .

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if ammo was not a problem i would carry a 338 Lapua , but if ammo is a problem just a simple 30-06

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I think my classic stainless model 70 in 338-06 would get the nod.

Yeah buddy, that's good stuff right there.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a 30/06 who*e. And love the 168 ttsx.
But if there were things on the menu that want to eat me.
I’d be bringing my 9.3 with 286 partitions. The 250 accubonds shoot as flat as 180 out of 06. But with little more authority

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dre
I’m a 30/06 who*e. And love the 168 ttsx.
But if there were things on the menu that want to eat me.
I’d be bringing my 9.3 with 286 partitions. The 250 accubonds shoot as flat as 180 out of 06. But with little more authority

Good point. Also, 270 TSXs out of a 375 H&H shoot as flat as a 180 out of a 30-06.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=mainer_in_ak]Phil,
The ole nine three was in the freighter canoe this season. An original Oberndorf sporting Mauser made in 1922. It was stoked with 300 grain A-frame/60 grains RL 16 handloads .

How are you keeping your wood/blue rifles so gorgeous in alaska? i thought it rained 20hrs/7 there, ha?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jim,
I don't mind wood handles on axes or guns. Nor do I give a sht about occasional rust from things getting used. I'm not near a salty environment.

The woodstove is real dry heat, and warms up the steel and wood. A silicone rag on a gun warmed by the woodstove overnight ain't too bad.

Same with axes, dry them near woodstove and wipe them down with linseed on ah cloth. The stove is my only heat source, so might as well warm up bath water and and keep the Dutch oven full o moose n whole taters too.

Guns begin looking rough after 2 or 3 years, but they never stop shooting straight. A new finish isn't too big of a deal.

Axes and hatchets, same thing, need to fit ah new handle every two years.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots of places here where it rains less than parts of Utah.
Alaska is a big state... Grin.

Mainer, what's your thoughts on the stihl axes/hatchets?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Chris
I have a Stihl hatchet that was gifted to me. I’ve become very fond of it. It takes a nice edge, handy, fits easily in a pack, cuts nicely, and fits an Estwing axe sheath. It’s no Grunsfors, but not a bazillion dollars either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Iron,
Spot on! That 600 gram Stihl hatchet is a good one. It was forged by prandi of Italy, and fitted with an ash handle. I believe it is c45 steel. I run one as well for knocking spruce bows off trees on the trail. I've even hewed out a replacement stanchion for the dog sled after an accident that broke the sled. A little thin in kerf for splitting spruce but dmn good for hand work, hewing out tools or sled parts. It NEVER chips in the below zero and holds an edge.

Cwh2,
The Stihl line up is a good one. Above the Stihl branded prandi hatchet, it's all Ochsenskopf German steel. Some are fitted with ash handles, and the pro stuff fitted with hickory.

I only like the steel collars on the splitting axes, to protect the handle. So I usually get the Stihl branded splitting axes. They have a stout top plate system too, that uses a long torx screw and a roll pin. I split all my wood by hand, and the head never loosens.

The steel collars and top plate are not needed on the forestry axes, and add too much weight. Also difficult to choke up on them for detailed work with that steel collar.

For that reason, I just bypass the Stihl branded stuff and go right to Ochsenskopf for the hickory handle, minus the steel collar for the forestry axes. I like the 1250 gram one for pounding felling wedges and general camp use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UZ18NS/ref=emc_b_5_mob_i

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm surprised no one mentioned the 45-70. Is there a reason?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The looping trajectory limits versatility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The looping trajectory limits versatility.

I figured that was the reason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am hestitant to answer this thread because I only lived in AK for a few years, and it's looking less likely I'll move back. But what the [bleep]. I think one key factor is that a resident hunter may have the opportunity for multiple species on a given hunt, whereas a non-resident is probably hunting only one species and perhaps has a guide for DLP. I think a two-gun battery is perfect. First, a lightweight mountain rifle for sheep and goat, but with which you're willing to shoot a grizzly. For me, that's 30-06, but others may be OK with 308, 270, 257wea, or one of the newer fast 6.5s. Second, a moose/'bou/bear gun in 300WM, 338WM, or 375Rug.

Oh yeah, nice axes, I should keep an eye out for a Stihl or an OxHead.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bender, that looks like a handy little hatchet - I'll have to grab one of those. AIH carries them now, so it is nice to be able to check them out in the flesh.

Mainer, agreed on the collars and that's the reason I don't have one of their full-size axes. Appreciate the Ochsenskopf link.

I've been using a "woodcutter universal forestry axe" for a bit now. (https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/woodforestaxe/) It falls squarely into the "neither fish nor fowl" category, but has been pretty handy trapping, knocking off limbs, driving tent stakes, etc. They try to make the handle as difficult to choke up on as possible, but it is simple enough to recontour and make it pretty user friendly.

I've been using a couple (gasp!) Fiskars long handled splitting mauls. They are nice in that they are low maintenance, but I'm sure the steel doesn't compare well. They would also suck for driving wedges I'm guessing, but I try not to do that.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I do find the hatchet haft a little on the “clubby” side. Just haven’t taken the time to work it over.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve only hunted with .338WM, 7mm mag, & 7mm-08

Never felt undergunned, they all shoot decent.

I’ve not killed as much game as some AK posters as I spent best part of a decade in the company of some fine outdoorsmen watching them kill game.

Saw a wide variety of calibers used & a wide variety of proficiency in marksmen, my seasons were 4 seasons long as in the field on average 40 days.

My conclusion from this experience?

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Use enough gun, use a great bullet.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by moosemike

Because it is overglorified in it potence, a huge number of gundummies @ nates cannot be swayed with crisp, clear data of the lousy ballistics, they cry "45-70" yet have zero clue of it's uselessness for ALL hunting conditions.... limiting themselves to rock throwing distances and tracking for hours into the night and often into the next day ... to be shot with a fkn 270 Win

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Swamplord,
Let's tote ah gun that weighs more than most scoped bolt actions, nueter oneself to 44,000 psi loads and shoot bullets that have a trajectory of a fkn Iowa slug gun.

Last but not least.........A 30 mph wind ( common in Alaska) drifts the bullets enough to clearly miss or cripple at 200 yds.

That is the 45-70.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/22/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would say your set up well with your 338 Win Mag as its quite versatile for all your needs. 160-300 grain bullet choices for any game and most any occasion. With 160-225 grain loads you are shooting as flat as a .30 Mag with better SD and BC. Shooting 275 A-Frames at 2,550 fps is flat and very potent out at 300 yards with big time SD projectiles and serious penetration. If more is needed there are Woodleigh 300 grain SP at 2,450 fps. I don’t believe you’d be under gunned with that load at 200 yards on brownies. Can’t think of another gun at 8lbs scoped that gives a .30 Mag trajectory and can almost match .375 H&H magnum bullet weights in speed and certainly the 338 Win Mag has much better SD projectiles with upwards of .375 on the .33 300 grain bullet.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wish I had a dollar for every thread like this... which basically goes nowhere and convinces no one.

But in defense of the 45.70, I have killed my last two moose for our school's cultural ed hunt (2019, 2020) with a .45.70 and neither made it more than 10 yards from where they were shot. Distance for both shots was between 40-50 yards. If I was shooting across a wide glade or pond I'd probably like to use my .308, but close up is how I like to do things these days and so the 45.70 is more than adequate for the task.

But then I would not hesitate taking a moose with either of my .300 Savages either... just like hundreds of Alaskans and Canadians used to do without a great deal of thought.

Suum cuique.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sayak
I wish I had a dollar for every thread like this... which basically goes nowhere and convinces no one.

But in defense of the 45.70, I have killed my last two moose for our school's cultural ed hunt (2019, 2020) with a .45.70 and neither made it more than 10 yards from where they were shot. Distance for both shots was between 40-50 yards. If I was shooting across a wide glade or pond I'd probably like to use my .308, but close up is how I like to do things these days and so the 45.70 is more than adequate for the task.

But then I would not hesitate taking a moose with either of my .300 Savages either... just like hundreds of Alaskans and Canadians used to do without a great deal of thought.

Suum cuique.

To help make your point I bought three bowling balls at a yard sale today and promise to carry all three at once and continue to shoot a 30-06. seems a fair trade, no?
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Suum cuique.

To help make your point I bought three bowling balls at a yard sale today and promise to carry all three at once and continue to shoot a 30-06. seems a fair trade, no?
wink

Scratching my head... sorry.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It’s funny to me that you say “explore other options before I settle on the 30-06. It’s my favorite cartridge and I don’t own one. I’m constantly considering all sorts of alternatives to my two gun battery that a 30-06 would do perfectly and cost effectively. Right now I’m day dreaming of a light-ish 300 H&H just because I like the cartridge so much, but the honest response is still ‘06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because it is overglorified in it potence, a huge number of gundummies @ nates cannot be swayed with crisp, clear data of the lousy ballistics, they cry "45-70" yet have zero clue of it's uselessness for ALL hunting conditions.... limiting themselves to rock throwing distances and tracking for hours into the night and often into the next day ... to be shot with a fkn 270 Win

So its useless for all hunting situations? Tell me you've never used a 45-70 without telling me you never used one

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

So its useless for all hunting situations? Tell me you've never used a 45-70 without telling me you never used one

In reality the 45-70 with modern powders and bullet technology is a real effective cartridge on large game and easily can be used out at 200-250 yards w/400 gr A-Frames and Barnes Buster Solids. Zeroed at 125 yard it’s only 4.5” down at 200 yards and 6” down at 250 yards. Wide meplats equal wide wounding channels, deep penetration and significant trauma. I would not feel handicapped or undergunned in any way with one at those distances and a 2.5 power fixed scope.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ross,
If you were to accompany winter caribou hunters in the treeless, windswept regions above the Arctic circle, you would come home empty with your supposed shots at 250 yards.

The 30 below zero would render your useless 40,000 psi loads, even more useless. The prevailing 30mph winds on moving animals at distances, would lead to clear misses and cripples. The distances are also deceiving.

I'd rather hunt winter caribou with 223, than a 45-70. Some places in the winter, the caribou is the only viable animal you have. A lb of dog sht/beef hamburger cost $18 in some of these villages.

Narrow points of view, hypothetical thinking out loud, and ignorance, from suburbia America, will never compare to what many remote Alaskans experience everyday.

Treeless, windswept Alaska in pursuit of caribou, handed me my a s s, even with a 9.3x62. I missed many shots.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13302195/3-caribou-by-dog-team

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/24/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It wouldn’t be my first choice, just saying it’s not worthless under many situations and certainly not a pumpkin hever. My first post was all about the versatility of his 338 Win Mag loaded and used under just about any situation. Caribou, no problem with the .33 way out there using 180 or 200 grain Nosler BT or Hornady SSTs.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My max game range is paper plate distance. The distance that I can't hit the plate with every round thats my maximum. (Using field positions)

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
My max game range is paper plate distance. The distance that I can't hit the plate with every round thats my maximum. (Using field positions)

That's the most sensible way of looking at it,, on my last sheep hunt I had to pass on a monster ram because of high wind and 515yds. My shooting at pie plates goes to hell over 350yds.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Man these threads are entertaining. There's a section in the Frank Glaser bibliography where he talks about hunting rifles for Alaska. Paraphrased, "shot placement is many times more important than caliber..." which may or may not be worth listening to, considering that he killed more Alaskan big game than probably anyone who is currently alive.

A spicy .308 handload with 150 grain TTSX is plenty for moose at sane distances. Blacktail, 120 grain TTSX or Hammer Hunters out of a handy 7mm-08 mountain rifle is about perfect. Stretch the stalk, not the shot.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by OXN939
, considering that he killed more Alaskan big game than probably anyone who is currently alive.

I'll have to disagree with that. I have worked with men who have for many years, harvested 30 to 40 Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in "TWO WEEKS". Or harvesting 300 Black Bears a year. Or shooting 50 or 60 Caribou for Bear Bait. It is a giggle how naïve current sport hunters are.......I guess that is for the best, overall.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would like to talk to the guide who harvests 300 black bears per year. I know some people run those hunt aboard vessels but that is a bit of a stretch for any one person to do.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I would like to talk to the guide who harvests 300 black bears per year. I know some people run those hunt aboard vessels but that is a bit of a stretch for any one person to do.

I did NOT say nor indicate that was a guiding operation........(Think "GALLBLADDER")

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Not the first time he has blown gaseous colloids up a ticklish orifice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well it is a well known fact that bears are herd animals. So shooting that many in one sitting isn't a problem.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
A man armed with a 6.5 (insert numbers or name here) and some Sitka gear could easily harvest 300 or more bears a year

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
, considering that he killed more Alaskan big game than probably anyone who is currently alive.

I'll have to disagree with that. I have worked with men who have for many years, harvested 30 to 40 Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in "TWO WEEKS". Or harvesting 300 Black Bears a year. Or shooting 50 or 60 Caribou for Bear Bait. It is a giggle how naïve current sport hunters are.......I guess that is for the best, overall.

I'll respectfully disagree that it's possible for anyone in 2021 to have killed as many Alaskan big game animals as a guy who was a professional hunter for four decades over a century ago... but you're welcome to your opinion.

Original point stands. Big magnums cause big misses for a lot of folks, and a .30 caliber 150 grain TTSX doing north of 2500 FPS impact velocity will do the trick for anything from Blacktail to Moose.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

I'll respectfully disagree that it's possible for anyone in 2021 to have killed as many Alaskan big game animals as a guy who was a professional hunter for four decades over a century ago... but you're welcome to your opinion.

Suggest you reread the book, Alaska's Wolf Man. He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper. Towards the end he did work for the Government.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Suggest you reread the book, Alaska's Wolf Man. He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper. Towards the end he did work for the Government.

Suggest you take your own advice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper.

That is categorically wrong. Glaser executed multiple contracts as a hunter for the Road Commission (page 52), the U.S. Biological Survey (page 82), and the Park Srrvice (page 89) to name a few. He trapped and he hunted.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper.

That is categorically wrong. Glaser executed multiple contracts as a hunter for the Road Commission (page 52), the U.S. Biological Survey (page 82), and the Park Srrvice (page 89) to name a few. He trapped and he hunted.

Yup! But being wrong has never slowed him before...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Frank sure did have some flamboyant, wounded bear stories. Wounded bear comes charging him and his dogs, he shoots it again. Bear runs off, he catches up, shoots it again.

Somewhere in that book, he claimed to have settled on a 30-06 220 grain for bears.

Never understood his expirement to own wolf/Malamute hybrids. Hundreds of generations of breeding to have kind, rugged dogs. I'd never stray from that lineage, devolving back to wolves. One of those dogs just about killed a man. I guess it wasn't a dog that day.

I found an old trapper cabin up the headwaters of Richardson Clearwater that is still maintained. It is carved on the door: HANS SEPPALA 1940. He lived up Banner Creek and had Siberian huskies. When Frank Glasser was outta dogs, he would hire Hans

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I found an old trapper cabin up the headwaters of Richardson Clearwater that is still maintained. It is carved on the door: HANS SEPPALA 1940. He lived up Banner Creek and had Siberian huskies. When Frank Glasser was outta dogs, he would hire Hans

Good info right there. Thanks.
I wonder if he was a relative of Leonard.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

The best story was the clean dinner plates nailed to the table in the trapper’s cabin.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Good info right there. Thanks.
I wonder if he was a relative of Leonard.

Well, if I'm remembering this correct, Hans was from Finland, and Leonard was from Norway,,,,,, but hey, you never know for sure, could have been a "Candle" burning in a Window, sometime, somewhere..... cool Lj

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Ive hunted my share of caribou and although the 45/70 wouldnt be my choice, it certainly isnt useless in the right hands. One of the best hunters I know has used an old JM Marlin for decades. Its his only rifle. I was standing right beside him one cold November day years back when he shot a nice bull at 250 yards. Just a couple of years ago I was again by his side when he killed a mountain goat at a ranged 198 yards. He does all his shooting with an old Williams aperture sight. No glass. Ive personally busted a few interior grizzlies with the 45/70 so I know anyone who says its "useless" really doesn't know what he's talking about. Personally, I prefer the 444 Marlin. It shoots a tad flatter for those longer shots..

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Knowyour gun. com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Ive hunted my share of caribou and although the 45/70 wouldnt be my choice, it certainly isnt useless in the right hands. One of the best hunters I know has used an old JM Marlin for decades. Its his only rifle. I was standing right beside him one cold November day years back when he shot a nice bull at 250 yards. Just a couple of years ago I was again by his side when he killed a mountain goat at a ranged 198 yards. He does all his shooting with an old Williams aperture sight. No glass. Ive personally busted a few interior grizzlies with the 45/70 so I know anyone who says its "useless" really doesn't know what he's talking about. Personally, I prefer the 444 Marlin. It shoots a tad flatter for those longer shots..

Thank you. It all comes down to ability. I was reading a 1906 edition of the Hunter-Trapper-Trader magazine and a fellow in there said the 45-70 is an effective hunting cartridge out to 800 yards. So guys who say it's useless are just indicting themselves and their abilities

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A

The fact that the 45-70 would be lousy for some situations is beside the point. In others, it may be one of the best. The hunter would probably know which is which and have other options. This thread was started with that idea in mind for a better overall strategy to hunt Alaska.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 338 Winchester is certainly my idea of the one cartridge for all larger game. I do have a favorite rifle in 338 Winchester.

But, I have been using the stainless 20” barrel 375 and 416 Rugers for moose for the past several years. The maximum shooting distance / visibility in my normal hunting area is about 225 yds. Usual actual shooting distance is much closer. I have been using the 270 grain TSX in 375’s and 350 TSX in the 416’s.
No complaints with their performance. The tipped versions definitely maintain the velocity a bit better.

Lots of specialized rifles and cartridges for long / super-long distances and higher elevation hunting for others to discuss.

The lightest rifle / scope combinations that I have are Kimber Montana’s in 325 WSM and 338 Winchester.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Idmay375,
I agree with you about the versatilty of the 338 bore.

Back before the shortages, I bought a big pile of 225 grain fusions. At $18 a box, these bonded, thick jacketed sleepers were cheaper or as cheap as cup/cores from Sierra, Hornady and Speer.

The price was so reasonable, I sent a bunch of them out the barrel to get aquanted with the little 338 RCM rifle. Mostly 300 and 400 yd targets with winds. They bucked the winds very well, and the same bullets are my primary load for winter caribou. Shoulder was good for 50 rounds a session.

At 500 yds, I did miss the target once or twice per 5 rounds.
Combo of only using a 2.5x fx-ll ultralight scope with course crosshairs, light gun with short barrel, gusts of wind that I didn't judge properly.

The open sights are sighted to the 275 grain A-frames.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

I have no idea why some people do not understand this !
Very well said! Thank you .

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

With the 338 , it depends on what bullet is used. I've killed a Lot of deer with the 338 Winchester. I've killed 6 or more with the 300 gr Barnes Original 49 k jacket at an avg 2500 fps mv. It doesn't tear up much meat and was amazingly accurate in my Ruger M77 mk 2, RSP and RP rifles.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by ldmay375
The 338 Winchester is certainly my idea of the one cartridge for all larger game. I do have a favorite rifle in 338 Winchester.

But, I have been using the stainless 20” barrel 375 and 416 Rugers for moose for the past several years. The maximum shooting distance / visibility in my normal hunting area is about 225 yds. Usual actual shooting distance is much closer. I have been using the 270 grain TSX in 375’s and 350 TSX in the 416’s.
No complaints with their performance. The tipped versions definitely maintain the velocity a bit better.

Lots of specialized rifles and cartridges for long / super-long distances and higher elevation hunting for others to discuss.

The lightest rifle / scope combinations that I have are Kimber Montana’s in 325 WSM and 338 Winchester.

I have a Kimber Montana in 338 Winchester also. For some reason , I Really like that rifle. Possibly because it's so light. It currently has a 1 to 4 Vortex on it.
All I've killed with it so far is a nice meat bull bou last year. It did fine.
90 % of the bison hunters I talk to are shooting the 338 Win.
Lots of moose hunters also.
I know of dozens of wounded and lost brown bear in Southeast when shot with 30 calibers. To ever reccomend one.
The 338 has a Much better reputation. And it is not any more difficult to shoot than a 300 win mag.
If I could only have 1 rifle. It would be my 458. If only 2, my 458 Winchester and my 416 Remington. If only 3 , my 6.5 Creedmor would take the light gun spot. If only 4 then my 338 Win , Kimber would be added .
As I've never yet gone hungry when hunting with those 4 carts . And the 375s. I don't think I need to change .

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Idmay375,
I agree with you about the versatilty of the 338 bore.

Back before the shortages, I bought a big pile of 225 grain fusions. At $18 a box, these bonded, thick jacketed sleepers were cheaper or as cheap as cup/cores from Sierra, Hornady and Speer.

The price was so reasonable, I sent a bunch of them out the barrel to get aquanted with the little 338 RCM rifle. Mostly 300 and 400 yd targets with winds. They bucked the winds very well, and the same bullets are my primary load for winter caribou. Shoulder was good for 50 rounds a session.

At 500 yds, I did miss the target once or twice per 5 rounds.
Combo of only using a 2.5x fx-ll ultralight scope with course crosshairs, light gun with short barrel, gusts of wind that I didn't judge properly.

The open sights are sighted to the 275 grain A-frames.

Did you have any pressure spikes due to jacket stickyness in the bore ? I got some for my Win mag but was nervous due to the data warning that came in the box.
I tumbled them in hbn and didn't notice any problems. But I didn't stand on the throttle as to powder charge either.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Frank sure did have some flamboyant, wounded bear stories. Wounded bear comes charging him and his dogs, he shoots it again. Bear runs off, he catches up, shoots it again.

Somewhere in that book, he claimed to have settled on a 30-06 220 grain for bears.

Never understood his expirement to own wolf/Malamute hybrids. Hundreds of generations of breeding to have kind, rugged dogs. I'd never stray from that lineage, devolving back to wolves. One of those dogs just about killed a man. I guess it wasn't a dog that day.

Mainer, I always enjoy your stories, experience and all around knowledge. I really look forward to reading your stuff and I seek out your interesting posts usually with great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. I enjoy this forum because of guys like you, 2L2Q, Las, SitkaDeer and many other sourdoughs here. 👍

I recall Frank Glaser thought that the .220 Swift was his favorite sheep rifle and if I recall correctly that’s what he used for his meat rifle. And if memory serves he got caught in that box canyon with his dogs and accidentally loaded milsurp 147gr FMJ’s in his ‘06 which made a big impression on him regarding their effectiveness for bear medicine.

I’ll have to dig my old copy out. I’ve read it a lot over the years but it’s been awhile. I read it twice while being stuck in my teepee because of weather up by Iceberg Lake in the Kenai’s one September. I don’t think I could get tired of that book but another day or two and I’d probably be wishing I’d have left food behind for a second book. 😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
R
The stainless classic m70 is the way to go. Though, getting harder to find... for a good price.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I reckon the Ruger 77 MkII's in stainless would do the job too.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
who's this Hans Seppala guy?

i know my all the Seppala's i know come from Oulu area

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.