Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Region6
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I drink camo beer during hunting season. Seems to work fine.

You and I could hang out.

Luv me some Busch Light.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by skeen
Man, I try to avoid camo, mostly. That being said I do own some Sitka Gear, and believe it's pretty high-quality stuff and a fair price when you find it on sale. Much of the latest technical hunting clothes only come in garish camo patterns.

Speaking of trying to look stylish while deer hunting, do these gray and orange gaiters clash with my navy blue jogging shorts? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those gaiters should keep the chiggers from your ankles, but man do I pity your balls.

Dude, my balls scoff at chiggers and ticks.

They're protected like Remington's "3 rings of steel."

First, I liberally apply Avon skin-so-soft lotion all over 'em (probably unnecessary, but why wouldn't you? blush), second my clothing is sprayed extensively with Permethrin, and third all exposed skin is sprayed with Deet.

Using Permethrin has been a life-changing event in early season. cool

Permethrin is to my balls, as the hard candy shell is to peanut M&M's. smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by WAM
Camo is not an absolute necessity for me but the fabrics and styles of hunting clothes I prefer are mostly Camo patterns.

This, plus killing the ultraviolet glare "brighteners" that literally glow in the glooming to animal eyes. Scent killer too, if hunting in uncertain winds, or getting really really close. Steady winds, and stay down wind, latter not needed. Camo as dedicated clothes for above works.

I know more about moose bellies than I really need to...... smile

I'm finishing my coffee right now and then going "moose hunting" in street clothes (blue jeans, poly fleece hoodie) washed in Tide......so there! Actually, I just need to go walk around the woods for a day, and the weather is good. 34 right now, and warming. Bye!

Last edited by las; 09/19/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think killing the UV glare in hunt clothes is much more worthwhile than radical scent control measures. I’ve been using UV killer detergent on my hunt clothes and think it’s made a difference.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For deer, boar, and bear hunting in WV there's a Blaze orange requirement of 400 sq/in. I wear it. The only camo pattern I like is Cabela's Outfitter camo.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scent control stuff is mostly a waste. An elk can smell your breath a mile away. Your body odors are much stronger than what's in your clothes. Playing the wind is the only scent control that works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have usually worn jeans and a red or green plaid shirt. it seems though that there are many more deer in the woods than there were in the good old days, before camo. in va where i grew up and still hunt some, the season west of the blue ridge is longer and more deer and turkeys are allowed. in fl there are so many deer. only thing, most of them are about the size of a large dog.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess to answer the OP's question instead of derailing things like I often do: I normally avoid camo for no reason other than the fad around it that has been created.

Aside from the materials it is made from I am sure it generally doesn't hurt things to wear it, but the cult it has just to be wearing camo just makes me shake my head. The Kuiu warriors lead the charge, but they're not the only ones. I see them in stores, restaurants, wherever...and that's fine but I do find it amusing that X percent of them never do anything more than ride around on their wheelers and bitch about how the game department has mismanaged everything and that there's no animals left. It is pretty rare for me to see anyone not in camo these days when looking at camps on the side of the road or seeing bird hunters in the field or in town, etc.

It is entertaining, I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Only time I buy camo is when its on sale cheaper than the regular stuff.

Killed my last turkey , one of those 'extra wary' eastern birds while I was wearing a red buffalo plaid jacket.....

I honestly can't remember the last turkey I killed when I was wearing camo, to include a couple of bow kills.

I think the mutts in Idaho and Montana are generally a bit easier to kill than easterns, but I have shot enough of the latter to confidently say they're nowhere near as tough as a lot folks make them out to be, especially the ones on private or remote areas that haven't been hunted much. When they are pressured, their escape routes have been so ridiculously habitual (for me at least) that setting a second shooter up there has actually been a very effective tactic.

Calling? I don't do it much but I have noticed that all subspecies I have hunted will respond if they want to, will hang up if they want to or will ignore you if they want to.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I guess to answer the OP's question instead of derailing things like I often do: I normally avoid camo for no reason other than the fad around it that has been created.

Aside from the materials it is made from I am sure it generally doesn't hurt things to wear it, but the cult it has just to be wearing camo just makes me shake my head. The Kuiu warriors lead the charge, but they're not the only ones. I see them in stores, restaurants, wherever...and that's fine but I do find it amusing that X percent of them never do anything more than ride around on their wheelers and bitch It is pretty rare for me to see anyone not in camo these days when looking at camps on the side of the road or seeing bird hunters in the field or in town, etc.

Speaking of did I tell you about how the game department has mismanaged everything and there's no animals left?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Only time I buy camo is when its on sale cheaper than the regular stuff.

Killed my last turkey , one of those 'extra wary' eastern birds while I was wearing a red buffalo plaid jacket.....

I honestly can't remember the last turkey I killed when I was wearing camo, to include a couple of bow kills.

I think the mutts in Idaho and Montana are generally a bit easier to kill than easterns, but I have shot enough of the latter to confidently say they're nowhere near as tough as a lot folks make them out to be, especially the ones on private or remote areas that haven't been hunted much. When they are pressured, their escape routes have been so ridiculously habitual (for me at least) that setting a second shooter up there has actually been a very effective tactic.

Calling? I don't do it much but I have noticed that all subspecies I have hunted will respond if they want to, will hang up if they want to or will ignore you if they want to.
Shooting and finding turkeys in the panhandle is easy. I see no correlation between wearing camo or not and getting discovered. I wear both solids or camo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Aside from the materials it is made from I am sure it generally doesn't hurt things to wear it, but the cult it has just to be wearing camo just makes me shake my head. The Kuiu warriors lead the charge, but they're not the only ones. I see them in stores, restaurants, wherever...and that's fine but I do find it amusing that X percent of them never do anything more than ride around on their wheelers and bitch It is pretty rare for me to see anyone not in camo these days when looking at camps on the side of the road or seeing bird hunters in the field or in town, etc.

Speaking of did I tell you about how the game department has mismanaged everything and there's no animals left?

They've what?

Dude, let's go get a couple cases of Natty Lite and go chase the 40 Mile herd around.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

They've what?

Dude, let's go get a couple cases of Natty Lite and go chase the 40 Mile herd around.

Pinky promise?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thoughts on camo....

Camo is more useful when hunting some species than others. It's a big help on turkeys or ducks, and while it's doesn't make as much of a difference on deer, it's still worth doing. I do take exception to this quote from the article linked in the OP:

"no pattern of any kind - regardless of how new and fancy it is - can never cover up poor hunting technique. "

I often hear similar comments whenever camo is discussed. It shows a lack of understanding of what camo is for. It's not there to cover up or compensate for poor hunting technique. It's to better your odds for success when using GOOD hunting technique.

I do agree that most modern camo is too detailed and dense, which increases its appeal at arm's length in the store, but just turns into a brown blur at a distance. I still use a lot of original Realtree Xtra Brown from the 90s because although it's not up to modern photorealism standards, it has reasonably good detail and has large areas of contrast to break up your outline. I usually wear pants of a different pattern to break up the human outline. When turkey hunting I have a few plastic leaves on my vest and hat to add a 3D effect. I once had a turkey hen walk close enough to me that I could have kicked her. But she was doing a better job of calling like a lonely hen than I could imitate, so I let her continue.

I've sometimes thought about getting newer camo, but after I once had a squirrel jump out of a tree onto my hat I decided that I was probably sufficiently camoed as it was.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm really tired of the multi thousand dollar hunting suits.
I'm going out of my way to shoot my buck this year in cheap non camo...🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve hunted in pretty much everything.

Cotton, wool, synthetic, camouflage, solid colours and plaid.

As said above by many nothing works better than good hunting techniques; playing wind, moving properly and looking carefully (used to include listening carefully but 60 year old ears don’t have the definition)

I tend to use some camouflage clothing as they tend to be the brands that offer fabrics that are quiet, flexible, breathable, wind and moisture resistant and don’t shred in the rose bushes and rocks or tear like toilet paper on barbed wire.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hmmmm, see the camo guys in the stores but not in the field........

Maybe they dont really hunt, or maybe the camo works...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm really tired of the multi thousand dollar hunting suits.
I'm going out of my way to shoot my buck this year in cheap non camo...🤣

NAY NAY! Virtue Signaler:

https://www.kingscamo.com/pages/men

(bundles)

ATACS iX and AU-X apparel in bdu format, etc.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Hmmmm, see the camo guys in the stores but not in the field........

Maybe they dont really hunt, or maybe the camo works...

Most of the camo looks solid brown or black at more than 100 yds, maybe 50 for small intricate patterns.
This is a parka that I've been wearing for the last 30 years. At 75 yds, it's a patch of plain brown...about the color of an elk. An orange vest is recommended which kills the reason for camo anyway.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 16 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.