B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

damn! more than i expected, good to know and thanks hanco.

I'll bet those bear claws are fine bullets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ARIC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 77 grain Sierra TMK is my pick for an all arounder. From 5.56 up through 22-250 so far they have been very accurate and they kill everything, up to deer making them look way bigger than they really are. The 62 grain TTSX is my next favorite all arounder.

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

damn! more than i expected, good to know and thanks hanco.

I'll bet those bear claws are fine bullets.

FBI uses this bullet, will reliably penetrate car glass, kill turds inside.

Last edited by hanco; 10/14/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop with that very thought in mind, iirc they were 25 bucks a hundred then, haven't hit anything but paper, suppose they'll do fine leaving at 2776 fps over Alliant Varmint and CFE-223 from 7 twist 16" mid length AR's.

I have several hundred of those as well. Never fired any. You sticking to Nosler data on n CFE223? My 20” AR is on the verge of birth and I just might blood it in November.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bet they are too BSA, i load them and the 64gr Nosler for Wifes defense AR's

shootem, i went 26gr CFE-223 for both the little Bear Claw and Nosler Bonded, i cant hold good enough to tell the difference between the two at 50 yards with Aimpoint and Eo-Tech 556, they ought to be scooting from that 20 inch barrel, dont see you'll have any trouble piling up deer, good luck and keep us posted if you will.

Trump Won!
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I had to pick one, it would be the 65 Sierra or the 55 TTSX. I know the 62 TTSX is supposed to be “better” but I like the 55.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another fan of the 77gr TMK. It's actually pretty impressive.

The only bummer is high volume practice.
I have a few 77gr MK, 64gr BSB, 64gr Win PP, as well as a couple boxes of TTSX, TSX, and even Gold Dots. Any of these work. My least favorite are the Barnes.

I buy bulk 55gr Hornady sp or fmj for practice or when running drills.

The TMKs are fun at a little distance and slow fire. I keep them loaded in handy mags. My pistol shoots them as good as my rifle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well said BigNate. They are fierce bullets on animals but the easy loading accuracy makes them a go to for me. I wished I had 5k of them. The Dillon cranks them out with 26 grains of Lever and man, there isn’t a bolt gun or AR they haven’t turned in excellent accuracy.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is hard to deny the price point of the 55gr Hornady interlocks. $67.99/500 at midsouth is looking pretty good. The 69 and 77 SMK and TMK's are twice that. Although they do shoot better than the 55's. I remember taking 4 of my AR's out to develop some loads with the 77TMK's and every one of them loved that bullet. Sub moa 10 shot groups was the norm. Its hard to make those bullets shoot poorly.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys are making their own 69 gr version of the SMK & have spent a lot of time tweaking them & seem to have got it right now.

I've tried them & they have shot well enough for me (under 1", 5 shots) to buy 4K of them.

At 14.2 cents each, that's a decent price.

Their stock comes & goes as they produce them, so if you want them you need to watch closely or get on their mailing list.

I still prefer 77's but these are a good compromise for volume shooting.

MM

RMR Bullets

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
These guys are making their own 69 gr version of the SMK & have spent a lot of time tweaking them & seem to have got it right now.

I've tried them & they have shot well enough for me (under 1", 5 shots) to buy 4K of them.

At 14.2 cents each, that's a decent price.

RMR Bullets
What did you do to get them to shoot? Load them on top of 24gr of .....?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't do anything special for these, I just used my historical loads for 69 SMK's / TMK's with both 8208 & VV-540.

23.7 gr 8208 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

25.5 gr VV-540 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

Ran them in a couple of guns; one with an 18" WOA barrel, one with a Craddock (Rock Creek) 18" barrel.

No chrono data for these, but both those loads produce around 2875-2900 with 69 SMK's.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I didn't do anything special for these, I just used my historical loads for 69 SMK's / TMK's with both 8208 & VV-540.

23.7 gr 8208 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

25.5 gr VV-540 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

Ran them in a couple of guns; one with an 18" WOA barrel, one with a Craddock (Rock Creek) 18" barrel.

No chrono data for these, but both those loads produce around 2875-2900 with 69 SMK's.

MM

So if you worked up a load, they may even do better. How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks MM, I have used pistol bullets from them buy haven't talked to anyone who personally vouches for these.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

I haven't shot enough groups over time to really see any flyers unless you count the jerk behind the trigger yanking one occasionally. wink

And I haven't shot any animals with them either, but they dupe the SMK's so I'd expect comparable performance.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

I haven't shot enough groups over time to really see any flyers unless you count the jerk behind the trigger yanking one occasionally. wink

And I haven't shot any animals with them either, but they dupe the SMK's so I'd expect comparable performance.

MM

I always see flyers, but you are right it's usually the jerk behind the trigger. Proved that last saturday. However, I ran them fairly fast. 10 shots in 10 seconds. Bumped one out of the X-ring. Wasn't really a competition, as we had very minimal shooters there. Most of our guys were out hunting on opening day. Even the phugg that suggested we have the shoot at the meeting was out hunting. SOB. He's a newbie handloader, but wants to tell all the members how to reload for "precision". This would have been the first shoot for him to prove his chidt doesn't stink. I've seen him shoot with his Christensen arms in the chassis to know why he wasn't there....The bullets you posted seem to be a great deal and one to be considered. I guess I'd have to shoot them to be sure how good they really are.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty damn good shooting, IMO................................assuming you didn't move in to the 25 !!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, here, though. laugh

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It does stink to pay the premium for the 77 TMKs but it nice for me to keep the guns zeroed with them and to reach into the ammo can and know they’ll reach great for steel and also pound coyotes and similar.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While the 75gr Hornie HPBT has no equal,the RMR's are in fairness,Good Little Bitches. Hint.

No complaints in my 22BR,even if it is a Fhuqking Krieger barrel! Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

They are VERY 69gr Sugar-esque. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've been missing the fun lately, laughin' here...........................................

MM

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.