Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
If you had to pick a do all bullet for a .223 what would it be? From groundhogs and coyotes up to deer, self defense, etc.

I'm thinking a 55-60g Hornady SP would make a good candidate.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
62gr TSX or Gold Dot

Last edited by LowerRiver; 09/23/21.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ky221
If you had to pick a do all bullet for a .223 what would it be? From groundhogs and coyotes up to deer, self defense, etc.

I'm thinking a 55-60g Hornady SP would make a good candidate.

I wouldn’t argue that. That’s a pretty versatile bullet in what’s a versatile do a lot cartridge IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, versatile and affordable for high volume shooting.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

65 Sierra Gameking. 64 Power Point is good too but hard to find.

Scott
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
65gr gamekings for me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
55 grain hornady sp or sierra gameking for slow twist barrels

77 Sierra Tmk if fast twisted

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
WE all have a boat load of choices but I also think overall the 55 gr Hornady is hard to beat

pretty much any platform

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 09/24/21.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop with that very thought in mind, iirc they were 25 bucks a hundred then, haven't hit anything but paper, suppose they'll do fine leaving at 2776 fps over Alliant Varmint and CFE-223 from 7 twist 16" mid length AR's.

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
What twist? 1-12 then maybe a 55 grainer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
60 gr Nosler BT work for me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20” barrel, 12” twist, 55 gr FMJ. Works in everything from monkeys to elephant, inclusive.

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
55 Hornady SP.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s all twist dependent. 55 Hornady sp is acceptable but I prefer the vmax 50-55 grain for 1:12. 1:8 bolt guns are the 75 grain Amax/ELD, 1:7 get the 88’s. AR’s get the 75 hpbt though I’ve heard good things about the TMK and could be talked into the 73 gr ELD. I avoid the bastard twists in between 12 and 8. As of now I run the 50 vmax and the 75 gr offerings based on platform.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I posted this in the AR & tactical forum ; so I'm speaking more along the lines of fast twist barrels. I should have clarified that.

However my fast twist guns shoot the lighter 50s just fine.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
20” barrel, 12” twist, 55 gr FMJ. Works in everything from monkeys to elephant, inclusive.

YMMV but I'd consider a full metal jacket to be the exact opposite of a Jack of all trades bullet; seeing as the only thing it does well is punch paper.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 55gr Hornady sp interlock is a great bullet. My buddy uses it for deer almost every year. Its worked great on yotes too. But an even better bullet is the 77SMK and 77TMK, if you are running a 1 in 8 or faster twist. Check out some penetration tests done on these bullets. There's a reason guys are wanting the infamous MK 262 and similar ammo. It passes FBI penetration tests, while many other bullets fail. This includes the 73gr ELD match bullets that someone was mentioning and even the 69gr SMK that I love. As for the 77 being a good varmint bullet, I'm pretty sure it would work just fine for those as well.. Some have mentioned the Barnes TSX. I don't think I'd want to use those in the varmint fields I've shot in. Too much chance for a ricochet. They are deep penetrators though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a bunch of 62 gr fusions from RMR I believe. I had a buddy kill a 200 plus pound boar with one. I think it would be a good do all bullet.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

YMMV but I'd consider a full metal jacket to be the exact opposite of a Jack of all trades bullet; seeing as the only thing it does well is punch paper.

Thank you for illustrating your narrow perspective.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I didn't illustrate anything. I asked a question out of boredom and curiosity just to see what the masses view as a general purpose projectile. In this time of shortages it gives a guy other options to consider that he may not have otherwise. Then you show up with your senseless dribble. One more for the ignore list.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

While its far from my first choice, m193 or any 5.56 loaded 55 gr ball actually kills quite well unless speed drops off.

Dan knows what he speaks of. Hard to trump first hand experience with it in Indochina.

I've never shot any yellow folks or elephants with it but I know it kills pretty damn well within its velocity parameters for upset.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dude270

While its far from my first choice, m193 or any 5.56 loaded 55 gr ball actually kills quite well unless speed drops off.

Dan knows what he speaks of. Hard to trump first hand experience with it in Indochina.

I've never shot any yellow folks or elephants with it but I know it kills pretty damn well within its velocity parameters for upset.

Like I said YMMV. I'm aware of double Ds Vietnam story, I've read it. But I don't see how shooting someone in indochina has anything to do with a do-all hunting load. I shot a couple of fox years ago with 55g ball and the results were less than impressive. I have thousands of 55g ball projectiles; but it's the last thing I'm reaching for when developing a load that im going to hunt with. What got double ds panties in a wad is a mystery to me and tbh I really don't care.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My feelers are hurt. grin

The specs I referenced were based on experience, not conjecture. Perhaps you have yet to recognize that a bullet is only one part of the death equation?

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Burned up a bunch of various 55 grain FMJBT's. You could use it but there are better choices. Not real good on Prairie dogs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the 65 grain SGK as the all around bullet. It shoots lights out in all my .223’s kills deer deadernhell and is not too much bullet for coyotes and other varmints.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess it depends on which side of the pendulum you fall. I’ve got a bunch of 62 grain SOST bullets that are supposed to be the best of both worlds. But I’ve got TSX’s and then I’ve got 77 SMK’s and 55 grain NBT’s as well as 55 FMJ just to be safe.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A tsx or partition

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been going 53g vmax in my slow twist stuff and 75g Hornady bthp or 73g eldm in my ars and fast twist guns. My 223 ai bolt gun still gets 75g amaxes.

Bb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My feelers are hurt. grin

The specs I referenced were based on experience, not conjecture. Perhaps you have yet to recognize that a bullet is only one part of the death equation?

I have a buddy that uses 55gr fmj on yotes. Coyotes die and those pills don't wreck the pelts too bad. Personally, I wouldn't want to get hit by any bullet coming out of a 223/556 AR15 rifle...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Crazy talk, unless you said Hornady 55gr sp w/cann.

(At less than 10 cents a piece like they should be.)

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think a great all around bullet should be terminally effective, readily available, accurate and fairly inexpensive. The 62 gr. Fusion, 64 gr. Gold Dot, 63 and 65 gr. Sierra GK, 60 gr. Nosler Partition, 64 gr. Power Point, 60 gr. Hornady all work in that role.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Like I said YMMV. I'm aware of double Ds Vietnam story, I've read it. But I don't see how shooting someone in indochina has anything to do with a do-all hunting load. I shot a couple of fox years ago with 55g ball and the results were less than impressive. I have thousands of 55g ball projectiles; but it's the last thing I'm reaching for when developing a load that im going to hunt with. What got double ds panties in a wad is a mystery to me and tbh I really don't care.

Panties in a wad? Your imagination is interesting. I don't care what you use or what you use it on. Recall I said "monkeys to elephant"? That includes a variety of birds, pigs, monkeys, people, tigers, water buffalo and an elephant. Little bit of marginal stability, tuff bullet and a lot of velocity....worked every time. They even worked on Lambrettas and small cars.

You'll find what you need/want, I'm certain of that. It is a combo from yesteryear and given trends in recent years they might not be the best, who knows?

Maybe the Shadow do.........

I am..........disturbed.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by gunner500
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop.

Hard to beat that as an all around choice. Easy expansion and shows good barrier performance.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The best cheap 224 bullet is the Hornady 55sp. I've killed everything from whitetails to coyotes, beaver to chucks.
It's a pretty good paper puncher too. I like the 65 sierra GK too, But they don't have the cheap factor.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A jelly donut?

Why, how did it get here?

Not to derail, but how in the hell does the Gunny have 2 purple hearts and no Combat Action Ribbon? It is possible I guess, but I doubt the Gunny didn't rate a CAR. If he really did rate it in real life, he would have worn it in the movie I am sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a cheaper do it all I would say the 75 grain horn bthp.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hornady 55 gr psp w/cannelure is my general purpose bullet in our .223's. It works quite well from sage rats to coyotes. I haven't used it on anything bigger but friends have and it worked for them.

I wish Hornady had kept producing the 62 grain PSP w/cannelure they did a year or so ago.

As it stands, if going for larger game, I would use either 64 gr PP or 60 gr NPT.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hornady 55 gr psp w/cannelure is my general purpose bullet in our .223's. It works quite well from sage rats to coyotes. I haven't used it on anything bigger but friends have and it worked for them.

I wish Hornady had kept producing the 62 grain PSP w/cannelure they did a year or so ago.

As it stands, if going for larger game, I would use either 64 gr PP or 60 gr NPT.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

Midway has the do all Hornady 55gr sp's right now for $10 & change + free shipping. They have 62 gr Speer Gold Dot Bonded for $29 + free shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I can only have one, it'll be a 77 gr., either a Sierra tipped TMK or a Nosler RDF; I won't feel slighted with either one.

Works fine up close, works great at LR.

YMMV

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If I can only have one, it'll be a 77 gr., either a Sierra tipped TMK or a Nosler RDF; I won't feel slighted with either one.

YMMV

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Found some for you:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....4-diameter-62-grain-soft-point-500-count

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

Midway has the do all Hornady 55gr sp's right now for $10 & change + free shipping. They have 62 gr Speer Gold Dot Bonded for $29 + free shipping.

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
What's the do all load to go with that for TAC in an
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

YMMV

MM

Yessir..............those be the ones.

Why sacrifice real LR capabilities with a schitty BC 55gr SP, when these little puppies will do a least as good, usually better, at short range & they most surely maximize the round's capabilities at LR.

There's a reason most of the SOG's use 77 grainers....................

But the logic, or lack of it, of some, eludes me.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

YMMV

MM

Yessir..............those be the ones.

Why sacrifice real LR capabilities with a schitty BC 55gr SP, when these little puppies will do a least as good, usually better, at short range & they most surely maximize the round's capabilities at LR.

There's a reason most of the SOG's use 77 grainers....................

But the logic, or lack of it, of some, eludes me.

MM

Me too man. Your ammo looks great. I'm sure they fly great too. I wouldn't want to get hit by one.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I like somewhere around 25 or 25.5 grains of tac with 55s

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd have to agree - all things considered, I've picked the 55gr. Hornady. My on-game experience with the .223 is limited to javelina and that was taken with the 60gr Hornady, but since I would be avoiding heavier bone with critters of that size or larger anyway the 55 grainer would do on broadside shots as well as any. And on paper, when doing a 50-yard sight-in my old Ruger AR-556 put four shots into a single tattered hole with that bullet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Here’s their whole load manual. Scroll down:

https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I like somewhere around 25 or 25.5 grains of tac with 55s

Ok- thank you

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shootem

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

Here’s their whole load manual. Scroll down:

https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

Ok- thank you

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
FYI y’all, I have some 62gr Hornady BTHP on Classifieds for cost. 62gr FMJBT for less than cost. Bought case of each to get the price down. Keeping all I need.

Last edited by shootem; 10/08/21.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
62 gr Barnes TSX

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aboltfan

Found some for you:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....4-diameter-62-grain-soft-point-500-count

I would go you one better, the Hornady 62 gr BTHP from the same seller. Better accuracy that the 62 gr BTSP, in my experience. Proven effective on coyotes out to 250 yards (out of a short barrel AR) and even stabilizes in a 1 in 12" twist 26" barrel (in warm temperatures),
this one is my choice for all around .223 bullet.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....r-62-grain-bthp-with-cannelure-500-count

Oh, and they are only .13 per bullet, so 13% cheaper than the less accurate soft point.

Last edited by 2ndtimer; 10/08/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Hornady do all 55 gr sp
older 223 1 in 12 rifle?

I don't use TAC. Used a 1 in 12 decades ago when 223 just came out LOL. Used lots of blc-2 back then.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like the 55gr GD.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop.

Hard to beat that as an all around choice. Easy expansion and shows good barrier performance.

Yep, tough little booger.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

damn! more than i expected, good to know and thanks hanco.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'll bet those bear claws are fine bullets.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 77 grain Sierra TMK is my pick for an all arounder. From 5.56 up through 22-250 so far they have been very accurate and they kill everything, up to deer making them look way bigger than they really are. The 62 grain TTSX is my next favorite all arounder.

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

I'll bet those bear claws are fine bullets.

FBI uses this bullet, will reliably penetrate car glass, kill turds inside.

Last edited by hanco; 10/14/21.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop with that very thought in mind, iirc they were 25 bucks a hundred then, haven't hit anything but paper, suppose they'll do fine leaving at 2776 fps over Alliant Varmint and CFE-223 from 7 twist 16" mid length AR's.

I have several hundred of those as well. Never fired any. You sticking to Nosler data on n CFE223? My 20” AR is on the verge of birth and I just might blood it in November.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bet they are too BSA, i load them and the 64gr Nosler for Wifes defense AR's

shootem, i went 26gr CFE-223 for both the little Bear Claw and Nosler Bonded, i cant hold good enough to tell the difference between the two at 50 yards with Aimpoint and Eo-Tech 556, they ought to be scooting from that 20 inch barrel, dont see you'll have any trouble piling up deer, good luck and keep us posted if you will.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I had to pick one, it would be the 65 Sierra or the 55 TTSX. I know the 62 TTSX is supposed to be “better” but I like the 55.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another fan of the 77gr TMK. It's actually pretty impressive.

The only bummer is high volume practice.
I have a few 77gr MK, 64gr BSB, 64gr Win PP, as well as a couple boxes of TTSX, TSX, and even Gold Dots. Any of these work. My least favorite are the Barnes.

I buy bulk 55gr Hornady sp or fmj for practice or when running drills.

The TMKs are fun at a little distance and slow fire. I keep them loaded in handy mags. My pistol shoots them as good as my rifle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well said BigNate. They are fierce bullets on animals but the easy loading accuracy makes them a go to for me. I wished I had 5k of them. The Dillon cranks them out with 26 grains of Lever and man, there isn’t a bolt gun or AR they haven’t turned in excellent accuracy.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is hard to deny the price point of the 55gr Hornady interlocks. $67.99/500 at midsouth is looking pretty good. The 69 and 77 SMK and TMK's are twice that. Although they do shoot better than the 55's. I remember taking 4 of my AR's out to develop some loads with the 77TMK's and every one of them loved that bullet. Sub moa 10 shot groups was the norm. Its hard to make those bullets shoot poorly.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys are making their own 69 gr version of the SMK & have spent a lot of time tweaking them & seem to have got it right now.

I've tried them & they have shot well enough for me (under 1", 5 shots) to buy 4K of them.

At 14.2 cents each, that's a decent price.

Their stock comes & goes as they produce them, so if you want them you need to watch closely or get on their mailing list.

I still prefer 77's but these are a good compromise for volume shooting.

MM

RMR Bullets

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These guys are making their own 69 gr version of the SMK & have spent a lot of time tweaking them & seem to have got it right now.

I've tried them & they have shot well enough for me (under 1", 5 shots) to buy 4K of them.

At 14.2 cents each, that's a decent price.

RMR Bullets
What did you do to get them to shoot? Load them on top of 24gr of .....?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't do anything special for these, I just used my historical loads for 69 SMK's / TMK's with both 8208 & VV-540.

23.7 gr 8208 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

25.5 gr VV-540 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

Ran them in a couple of guns; one with an 18" WOA barrel, one with a Craddock (Rock Creek) 18" barrel.

No chrono data for these, but both those loads produce around 2875-2900 with 69 SMK's.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I didn't do anything special for these, I just used my historical loads for 69 SMK's / TMK's with both 8208 & VV-540.

23.7 gr 8208 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

25.5 gr VV-540 w/ Wolf Mag Match Primers

Ran them in a couple of guns; one with an 18" WOA barrel, one with a Craddock (Rock Creek) 18" barrel.

No chrono data for these, but both those loads produce around 2875-2900 with 69 SMK's.

MM

So if you worked up a load, they may even do better. How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks MM, I have used pistol bullets from them buy haven't talked to anyone who personally vouches for these.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

I haven't shot enough groups over time to really see any flyers unless you count the jerk behind the trigger yanking one occasionally. wink

And I haven't shot any animals with them either, but they dupe the SMK's so I'd expect comparable performance.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How are the flyers? Not that flyers make any difference for self defense. I'm also wondering how they compare in penetration?

I haven't shot enough groups over time to really see any flyers unless you count the jerk behind the trigger yanking one occasionally. wink

And I haven't shot any animals with them either, but they dupe the SMK's so I'd expect comparable performance.

MM

I always see flyers, but you are right it's usually the jerk behind the trigger. Proved that last saturday. However, I ran them fairly fast. 10 shots in 10 seconds. Bumped one out of the X-ring. Wasn't really a competition, as we had very minimal shooters there. Most of our guys were out hunting on opening day. Even the phugg that suggested we have the shoot at the meeting was out hunting. SOB. He's a newbie handloader, but wants to tell all the members how to reload for "precision". This would have been the first shoot for him to prove his chidt doesn't stink. I've seen him shoot with his Christensen arms in the chassis to know why he wasn't there....The bullets you posted seem to be a great deal and one to be considered. I guess I'd have to shoot them to be sure how good they really are.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty damn good shooting, IMO................................assuming you didn't move in to the 25 !!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, here, though. laugh

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It does stink to pay the premium for the 77 TMKs but it nice for me to keep the guns zeroed with them and to reach into the ammo can and know they’ll reach great for steel and also pound coyotes and similar.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While the 75gr Hornie HPBT has no equal,the RMR's are in fairness,Good Little Bitches. Hint.

No complaints in my 22BR,even if it is a Fhuqking Krieger barrel! Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

They are VERY 69gr Sugar-esque. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've been missing the fun lately, laughin' here...........................................

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Tikka 1-8” really likes 75 grain ELD-M at 2935 fps. I hear it’s an effective deer bullet, too, and I can attest to small game and long-range efficacy. The 73 grain version was built for AR Mag boxes so I’ll bet it would work well.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just bought some 77gr Sierra MK's at Cabela's for $19.99/box. Bought 3. Would have bought more, but that's all they had. I've had pretty good luck with these and the 69's. Very consistent shooters. Other pills I've tried like the 75gr Hornady BTHP get weird flyers. Although the 73gr ELD match bullet flies pretty true..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just bought some 77gr Sierra MK's at Cabela's for $19.99/box. Bought 3. Would have bought more, but that's all they had. I've had pretty good luck with these and the 69's. Very consistent shooters. Other pills I've tried like the 75gr Hornady BTHP get weird flyers. Although the 73gr ELD match bullet flies pretty true..

Save yourself some money next time and order them from powder valley. As you know only 50 come to a box. So you paid $40 for a 100 Bullets. That my friend is not a very good deal.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/sierra-224-22-77-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-matchking/

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Save yourself some money next time and order them from powder valley. As you know only 50 come to a box. So you paid $40 for a 100 Bullets. That my friend is not a very good deal.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/sierra-224-22-77-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-matchking/

Dang it. Im used to the 69's. Those come in boxes of 100. Ha ha.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Only bullet they do that with, heck even the 77gr tmk come 100 to a box. The bullet I like to get my hands on would be the 60gr tmk has a bc of .323 that’s impressive for a 60gr bullet.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Only bullet they do that with, heck even the 77gr tmk come 100 to a box. The bullet I like to get my hands on would be the 60gr tmk has a bc of .323 that’s impressive for a 60gr bullet.

Now you tell me. I thought I stole them. Ha ha.. Daughter was with me, so I was in a hurry. No wonder they were still on the shelf!! I'll put them with the box of 500 I bought a few months ago...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blend them in with the old ones, like stocks, and dollar cost averaging says you’re money ahead.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TFF.....................

MM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is this informative topic done with?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deleted/

MM

Last edited by MontanaMan; 02/19/23.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 14 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.