Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'd like to see my son go on a nice hunt or two while he's young and can still enjoy it but I know they can get expensive pretty quick. He's done well for himself so far and is in incredible shape so I'd love to see him have an opportunity to go after something bigger than our NE deer. What would you guys recommend?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wish I were still living and working out there , he could just go hunting with us, pitch in setting up camp etc. Unfortunately, our old stomping grounds burned to a crisp last October. My fondest hunt as a guide, circa '93 , was guiding a young NE farmboy and another good dude from PA. The PA boy got a really nice 5x5 on opening day, the next day I birddogged the most ugly 4 point into this NE farmer and it was the happiest I have ever seen anyone on a hunt. Pert near brought tears to my eyes! He tipped me $400! I just did my job and the hunting gods put elk in our path! Good luck in your search and future hunts!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Maybe a hog hunt?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Budget ?

Bigger, like ? Brown Bear big, Yukon moose big, or Rocky Mtn Bull elk big ?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caribou.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hog hunts are fun. Someone here was posting on the classifieds. They are affordable and you get to shoot multiple hogs. I have done some culling on hunts to of stuff they needed removed. Also hunted varmints on them as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My suggestion would be for him to put in for everything he can, save the money on a guide. See what he draws and do it himself. Scout all he can, much more satisfaction than hiring a guide.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I'd like to see my son go on a nice hunt or two while he's young and can still enjoy it but I know they can get expensive pretty quick. He's done well for himself so far and is in incredible shape so I'd love to see him have an opportunity to go after something bigger than our NE deer. What would you guys recommend?

If he's in good shape many DYI public opportunities in western states under 2 k. I have buddies in their 60's take many nice animals on DYI hunts

Good guided hunt will run your son 4k minimum for a good deer hunt. Elk 8 k, moose12 k plus airfare . He better start saving up or use google earth and start doing research

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
My suggestion would be for him to put in for everything he can, save the money on a guide. See what he draws and do it himself. Scout all he can, much more satisfaction than hiring a guide.

Words of wisdom.

A lot of help available for DIY hunts without using a guide. Just need to make the effort and plan.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn’t mention budget but Africa would be a hunt he’d never forget and is a lot more affordable than most people think. He could probably shoot several plains game animals taxidermy and airfare included for about what one fully guided elk or moose hunt would cost.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Maybe a hog hunt?

My brother just moved to Alabama last year so some hog hunts will definitely be on the agenda. For this, I was thinking more along the lines of an elk, bear, ?? I think under $5k would be a good start but, depending on the animal(moose, etc.)/location, I realize that may be low. If he would need to start putting in for certain tags to get preference points, that's something he may need to think about as well. I've always hunted on my own so I really don't have a reference of any kind for guided hunts so any input (states, outfitters, realistic costs, etc.) would be appreciated.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he's in "incredible" shape then I'd sure be looking at something in the mountains to capitalize on that.
Elk, mule deer or something like that. Maybe west Texas barbary. Normal sheep/goat hunts are pricey and I suspect more than you're wanting to deal with.

Mountain lion behind hounds could be a good one. They're not too expensive generally, outside of normal hunting seasons and in the right situation can be one hell of a physical hunt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Maine black bear is cheap {2k} with a high success rate.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You didn’t mention budget but Africa would be a hunt he’d never forget and is a lot more affordable than most people think. He could probably shoot several plains game animals taxidermy and airfare included for about what one fully guided elk or moose hunt would cost.

He said a Journeyman he works with in the electrical union is over there right now. That would definitely make for some incredible memories! With all this Covid crap, I thought Africa might be a risky proposition but maybe it's more viable than I thought.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

He said a Journeyman he works with in the electrical union is over there right now. That would definitely make for some incredible memories! With all this Covid crap, I thought Africa might be a risky proposition but maybe it's more viable than I thought.

Your son is an adult?

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
To echo comments made above, Africa or Auodad (Barbary Sheep) two extremes in budget.

Africa especially plains game is a great value and a stunning experience if it falls within your budget.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Newfoundland moose

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

Your son is an adult?

Pay attention Sherlock

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffP
Newfoundland moose

+1

My son and I both went, shot 2 moose and had a bear tag also for $6.5k.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffP
Newfoundland moose

^^This^^ ......... The ferry to NFLD is packed with American sports every year who think it's a good deal. BTDT myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.