Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I plan on doing a lot more traveling out of country and have been thinking travel insurance might be a good idea. I am looking for recommendations as well as pros and cons. Thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought an expensive nonrefundable airline ticket to Cali in late July for the trip I am currently on. Initially I didn't buy the trip insurance. But as people around me started to pick up the Covid and the fact I couldnt count on Cali to stay open I picked up the insurance in case I needed to cancel. I generally I don't buy it. I would consider buying it if I was flying or traveling somewhere where I couldn't get a refund if I had to cancel or if there was a chance of a weather event like a hurricane that might screw me up. Case by case basis for me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve traveled extensively and never spent a dime on insurance.
With covid, I might consider it, but would the insurance apply in a covid situation?

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Insurance companies aren't stupid. There'll be riders attached. They'll cover themselves.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I did on my first international trip due to complete and utter ignorance of what I was facing.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
depends on the price point and my personal risk

bought a cheap cruise for the kids, probably moderate risk they end up missing out, but it was so cheap I wasn't going to spend 1/5 of the cost on insurance.

bought a fairly expensive cruise to Alaska by my standards and bought the 75% insurance at about 1/10 the cost.

Cruises run on a tight schedule so I think there is added risk versus flying in and going to a hotel room.

I made sure to read the fine print to address what I thought was reasonable exceptions.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/24/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Saved us money when I broke my ankle right before we went on vacation to Cozumel

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good luck if you end up injured by a “terrorist” or whatever “act
of war”or anyone doing something illegally. Probably listed as an exception.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I plan on more fishing trips to Panama and maybea few other south Americancountries, I have no desire to go overseas so hopefully I don't have to worry about to much of the [bleep] that's going on over there. I am more concerned with covering cancelations of the trips and recouping some of the deposits

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I always buy it when traveling abroad, primarily for health/hospitalization. Medicare and most private insurance does not cover issues abroad.

Trying to get cancellation refunds through separate travel insurance policies is not easy; they will fight you tooth and nail. I typically choose a cancellation benefit for about $40 when booking through an online ticket broker. Note: this is only if the airline cancels your flight; if one cancels for reasons of their own it's tough luck.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

My wife and I used to spend 3 mos each year in Guatemala and our health insurance would not cover anything there.

So yes we bought insurance to cover us in case something happened. Never had to use it and were thankful for that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Are you talking about trip cancellation insurance or medical insurance outside the US?

Trip cancellation insurance could be worthwhile for a very costly trip that is at risk due to your personal circumstances. I looked into it for one trip that was going to cost me 5-figures. It turned out to be difficult because of the complexity of my itinerary, and the covered reasons were not inclusive enough. Since it was a domestic trip, I did not regard the medical coverage.

For international travel, you might compare policies that are medical insurance that don't include trip cancelation -- something like what Ex Pats and long-term travelers use.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always buy it when I go out of the country for any length of time. Especially when the health insurance won't cover you overseas. Plus you get your flight back guaranteed, if necessary.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the input, I was looking for trip cancelation insurance it sounds like my trip isn't expensive enough to make it worthwhile. I haven't thought to see what my health insurance coverage is out of country. That's something I will definitely check out

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lots of loop holes, stipulations in place in the policies that only you can scrutinize & decide on.

Friends flying to Ca. to board a cruise sip to Alaska, touring there, flying home. First leg of the trip, TSA found a prohibited item in their carry on & detained them. That caused them to miss the flight & every following connection. Ins. wouldn't cough up a dime for any of it.

An extreme circumstance maybe, but just a loop hole IMO.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My first Amperlamps ride and visit to an ER was during an Alaskan Cruise..............

Travel Insurance covered EVERY out of pocket Dime and reimbursed/prorated fare for BOTH the wife and I(3 days each) while I was quarantined............

I'll never travel without it....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
It all depends on what type of trip and how much it costs. I've purchased travel insurance many times and only once had to use it. In that case I had a problem with my retina at the last minute, and had to cancel a dive trip, and the insurance covered all the travel costs. If you're going somewhere really remote then you want evacuation coverage like Ripcord.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have used trip cancellation insurance and an evac policy a few times. I don't recall the trip but my bank covered the cost of the flight, no questions.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I never bought it until last year. We were going to Cody, Wyoming. I’m glad I did. I got an email stating my connecting flight from Denver to Cody had been cancelled. Nobody at Travelocity saw a problem with me flying to Denver and having a room and car rented in Cody. It was a headache, but I got nearly all my money back. I doubt I would have without the insurance.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In this day and age I’d always buy travel insurance for big trips or expensive vacations. If traveling out of country I’d also buy travelers health insurance. Having to be lifeflighted from the Congo to Germany can get spendy. 😉. I have never needed it but it’s damn cheap compared to the alternative and it’s great peace of mind.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.