Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a few 7600's and 1 7400. Never a hiccup with any of them. To be fair, the 7400 really doesn't see much hunting use, only infrequent range time, so I wouldn't expect a problem with it in the conditions in which it gets used.

They all are surprisingly good shooters, especially a 35 Whelen carbine 7600. I enjoy taking it to the range and purposely setting up next to guys with heavy long range rigs, and then proceeding to cut tight cloverleaf groups with it while they watch my targets through their spotting scopes and snicker at what has seemingly become an anachronism: A non bolt action rifle over 6.5 caliber meant to be carried around all day and shot from standing positions.

The triggers are generally poor with heavy pulls and a lot of travel. I've tried springs with varying degrees of success, but it seems the Timney kit is about the best. Turns them into pretty decent triggers.

Last edited by Starbuck; 09/22/21.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
end the jams.

use a 20 gauge bronze bore brush saturated with a good bore cleaner. Attach it to a coated flexible cleaner cable. Attach the other end to a variable speed drill, and spin that chamber clean.

Most Rem 740/742/7400/4 owners only clean from the muzzle, and the chamber never gets clean. Leftover powder residue in the chamber gets hard, and grips the case walls impeding extraction, and viola....a jam.

Keep those chambers clean.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by buttstock
end the jams.

use a 20 gauge bronze bore brush saturated with a good bore cleaner. Attach it to a coated flexible cleaner cable. Attach the other end to a variable speed drill, and spin that chamber clean.

Most Rem 740/742/7400/4 owners only clean from the muzzle, and the chamber never gets clean. Leftover powder residue in the chamber gets hard, and grips the case walls impeding extraction, and viola....a jam.

I was given my grandfathers 742 in 30-06 from the family after he passed because I was the only one that hunted with him. You are correct, the barrel was clean as a pin, but when I broke it down, there was so much caked power residue that I was surprised it worked.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one in .243 a long time ago, took it to the range and after three shots decided bolt guns are my thing. I still wish I could have cozied up to that little gun but It just didn't work for me like it looked it would.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by buttstock
end the jams.

BINGO! Keep the chamber clean! We had a wire brush we got from Brownells that was designed to clean the chambers on these rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had several 742’s no issues if I kept them clean.
The 7400 I think was an improvement - but the jury is out on that.
I had also a 74 which was the cheap wood version - it worked flawlessly.
I’d like to get another 742 or 7400 or even better a 4 I suppose.
The only Remington automatic that was absolutely no good and probably gave the bad reputation is the 740!!! PM me for further information on the 740.

The only problem I have with Remington automatics is the same with all automatics - chasing brass. My range is on my place and there’s grass around my shooting benches, not concrete.

If you shoot only factory ammo the 7400 or the 742 is an excellent rifle for you. If you don’t mind chasing brass ditto.

I am a firm believer the nay sayers, in general, just plain love to bitch!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I grew up in SE Texas and the Mod 740 (later 742) was very popular as we ran deer with dogs ( until they outlawed them in '69 or so) The 740s I saw were in 30-06 and 280 and they both worked fine. The 742s in 308 and 6mm worked fine also, but the 30-06s were almost always jammers. Never saw a 243. I think the shorter bolt travel helped cut down the receiver gouging from the bolt carrier ( did I say that right?) Anyhow, the Ne Plus Ultra in our club was the one in 6mm Remington. It was highly favored. The savvy guys also scoped them (many just used irons) with the Weaver Pivot Mount. I played with a Mod 742/06 when I was around 25, but nothing helped it. Its best grouping was with the then new Federal Red Box with 165 Sierra SBT, right at 4" at 100. I killed deer and hogs, all under 60yds so it was "very accurate", ha. I always killed with one shot ( if you missed there was no second shot chance, too thick woods) it "may or may not" would load another round. I'm way too OCD for that, ha! I felt they handled well though.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 09/24/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I grew up in SE Texas and the Mod 740 (later 742) was very popular as we ran deer with dogs ( until they outlawed them in '69 or so) The 740s I saw were in 30-06 and 280 and they both worked fine. The 742s in 308 and 6mm worked fine also, but the 30-06s were almost always jammers. Never saw a 243. I think the shorter bolt travel helped cut down the receiver gouging from the bolt carrier ( did I say that right?) Anyhow, the Ne Plus Ultra in our club was the one in 6mm Remington. It was highly favored. The savvy guys also scoped them (many just used irons) with the Weaver Pivot Mount. I played with a Mod 742/06 when I was around 25, but nothing helped it. Its best grouping was with the then new Federal Red Box with 165 Sierra SBT, right at 4" at 100. I killed deer and hogs, all under 60yds so it was "very accurate", ha. I always killed with one shot ( if you missed there was no second shot chance, too thick woods) it "may or may not" would load another round. I'm way too OCD for that, ha! I felt they handled well though.

I've also heard that most trouble was with the '06 variants. Maybe harder on the action rails that reportedly become worse out/gouged over time. I've heard the 7400's are better than the three number iterations for gouging, but I never really looked into it enough to substantiate it. As I stated, I rarely fire the 7400 I have. I like to carry the carbine 7600's much better.

Last edited by Starbuck; 09/24/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned exactly 2 pumps, and old Mod 141 (35 Rem) and a new Mod 7600 (308) I could never cotton to the "wiggle/movement" of that fore-end! ha Traded both off. A pump shotgun is "OK" for me, but it never bugged me like a pump rifle! Crazy Loonyism! smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a 742 with the Deluxe Basket Weave stock in a 30-06 (oh the horrors) and it was a sub moa gun. Never hunted it but never jammed on me either, but I sold it just because....

How does yours shoot?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I had sum jams at first but an old timer at the gun club told me to never use Remington bullets in my 7400 because of there thin dove tail so I switched to Federal problem solved.PS these semi's NEED to be kept clean VERY important.

Last edited by garddogg56; 09/27/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My old 30-06/742 shot around 5-6" with Remington 150 Corlokt and 3.5-4" with the old Federal Red Box when they started loading the Sierra 165 SBT. I never shot any critter over 60yds, it was that thick, lots of palmetto flats, bay-galls and briers, Pin Oak flats and pine motts. Get on a game trail and ezzzzz along. smile

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pullit
I had a 742 with the Deluxe Basket Weave stock in a 30-06 (oh the horrors) and it was a sub moa gun. Never hunted it but never jammed on me either, but I sold it just because....

How does yours shoot?

Don't know Pullit, I haven't shot it yet. I really bought the gun with intentions of selling the scope that was on it and then selling the gun cause it was so damn ugly.

But when I looked with the bore scope it was the nicest, cleanest barrel I had ever seen, not a tool mark, nothing, more like a custom barrel so I kept it.

I'm sure it will shoot just fine. I have another 7400 in .308 that shoots MOA and even if this one can only do 3 or 4 MOA, it is so thick where I hunt that a long shot is 60 yards.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Don't you know that its illegal to use a 7400 without those stupid see thru mounts??

Ironsighters? Those are required equipment on 760's & 742's in the rust belt states, they make carrying the rifle easy using them and the scope as a carry handle. Dale Story the gunsmith calls them "Colorado Magnums". LOL

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My buddy bought three 760s in .35 rem, think from Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
All friggin three had see through rings LMAO.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had two 760s that would go an inch at 100 w factory ammo.

Had two 742s that would stay inside 2".

Had one 742 carbine that was mint, and it would put cold bore first shot 1' high at 100 every time.
Unfortunately the next couple shots would be 7 or 8" low.
No wonder it was mint

The beat up ones shot good. Hmmmmm

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had the see-thru rings on my 7600 for a while, but they put the scope right where it wanted to ding me across the bridge of the nose, so they got replaced pretty quickly.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by zcm82
I had the see-thru rings on my 7600 for a while, but they put the scope right where it wanted to ding me across the bridge of the nose, so they got replaced pretty quickly.

It truly is a shame that gun writers back in the day bashed the Weaver pivot mounts to the point that no one would buy them and they were discontinued.

"would never hold zero swinging back and forth like that" were some of their glowing comments/opinions, which I'm sure were developed looking at the mount over at the typewriter and not bothering to actually test it at the range.

I have them on 760's, 7400's and 336's in low rings and they are the cats azz as far as I'm concerned. I still find them on Fleabay.

And still waiting for one of them to come off zero as they are swung open and then snapped back into place LMAO.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by zcm82

It truly is a shame that gun writers back in the day bashed the Weaver pivot mounts to the point that no one would buy them and they were discontinued.

"would never hold zero swinging back and forth like that" were some of their glowing comments/opinions, which I'm sure were developed looking at the mount over at the typewriter and not bothering to actually test it at the range.

I have them on 760's, 7400's and 336's in low rings and they are the cats azz as far as I'm concerned. I still find them on Fleabay.

And still waiting for one of them to come off zero as they are swung open and then snapped back into place LMAO.

They work, I don’t use them now but my family is still using them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It would be interesting to test such a mount on a really precise rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.