-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can't find any Superperformance specific load data. Looked at the 25 WSSM data, but that seems a little low?

Looking at burn rate, this looks a lot like H4831. How interchangeable it it?

I have 85 BT and 100 TSX to load in my Tikka 25-06.

Ideas?

Last edited by David_Walter; 09/23/21.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I didn’t think this would be silent/controversial!

I also have 243 AI, 308 to load. Anything for those?

John Stark.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've never used Superformance but if I were in your shoes I'd find a cartridgevthat has both in the data. That way I could see how close they are in charge weight and then base my starting load of of H-4831 data

I believe that Dirtfarmer has loaded Superformance

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read somewhere that if there's not data from a reliable source for Superformance that maybe it's best not to use it. It was on the internet so it might be true. I think it's one of the progressive burners like Alliant's Power Pro series.

I just picked up a few #s of it & in my limited experience with the stuff, it worked according to data in Hornady #11 for 6.5CM & 120s, but RL16 works better in my rifle. It was a miserable waste of components in another cartridge where I thought it should be good due to its place on the burn chart. It's not yer grandpa's IMR powder.

Give Hodgdon a call. They should know more than anybody.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have ramshot Hunter, H4350 and 7828SSC to try, as well.

it's that lb of superperformance just sits there. Maybe I’ll fertilize the tomatoes with it?

seems a waste to spill powder these days.

John Stark.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 358WCF
I read somewhere that if there's not data from a reliable source for Superformance that maybe it's best not to use it. It was on the internet so it might be true. I think it's one of the progressive burners like Alliant's Power Pro series.

I just picked up a few #s of it & in my limited experience with the stuff, it worked according to data in Hornady #11 for 6.5CM & 120s, but RL16 works better in my rifle. It was a miserable waste of components in another cartridge where I thought it should be good due to its place on the burn chart. It's not yer grandpa's IMR powder.

Yeah, I just tried some in my 6.5x55 the other day and was getting some hangfires. I decided to pull the rest of the bullets and maybe try it in the 300wsm and 30-06. As for the op's cartridge, 25WSSM, I would think he can find some info on that powder if it is an optimum one to use in the little fat 25. If he can't find data for it, maybe theres good reason not to use it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It looks like it works well in a 6mm Creedmoore, which mimics my 243 AI, so I'll try it there.

Seems like a short fat cartridge powder.

John Stark.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 358WCF

Yeah, I just tried some in my 6.5x55 the other day and was getting some hangfires. I decided to pull the rest of the bullets and maybe try it in the 300wsm and 30-06. As for the op's cartridge, 25WSSM, I would think he can find some info on that powder if it is an optimum one to use in the little fat 25. If he can't find data for it, maybe theres good reason not to use it...

Did you try magnum primers?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.hornady.com/support/faq...reload-with-hodgdon-superformance-powder

What calibers can I hand load or reload with Hodgdon Superformance powder?

Hornady started loading the Superformance line of ammunition in 2010. Hodgdon followed up with the introduction of a Superformance powder available for hand loaders. However, the one Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is not usable in all rifle calibers. Like all powders, it has a particular burn rate and will work great in some cases, OK in others and should not be used in the rest. A hand loader wouldn't think of using Varget or Retumbo in all their calibers from 17 Hornet to 375 H&H. Neither should they think of Superformance in that way.

Hornady uses commercial-grade Superformance powders of varying burn rates and also blends powders to offer a full line of Superformance cartridges. The Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is one particular burn rate that does well in some short magnum cartridges along with some others, which are listed in their load data and also in the latest editions of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

So Hornady has data and Hodgdon only lists what it’s suitable for. Imagine that. Buy the Hornady book, e edition or by app at 99 cents each.

Swifty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
It looks like it works well in a 6mm Creedmoore, which mimics my 243 AI, so I'll try it there.

Seems like a short fat cartridge powder.

Well I would not call it a short fat cartridge only powder. Couple years back I bought a 8# jug of it at a bargain price. This spring I started a loading project with it in the 30-06 with 165 gr and 180 grain bullets. CCI-200 primer , LC-52 LC-54 & LC-63 brass Sierra, Hornady and Speer bullets. Works pretty damn good in any one of a dozen 06's around here. Decent groups and great velocities. Won't mention powder charges you get them out of Hodgdons manuals. My last one is an 03 in a Fajen sporter stock with it's original 4 groove barrel, mil trigger. Barrel has William's irons frt and rear ,was d & t'ed and wears one of Holden's ironsigther scope mounts that everyone likes to bad mouth with a Bushnell 3x 9 sportview that they piss on next. Sub 3 shot 3/4" group with the scope and 3 in 1 1/4" with the irons at 50 yds. Anyone of those shots would have doa any deer to 200 yards. Yeah it's a bubba special and that bubba was on the ball. Cost me 260 bucks it was a steal just like the Superformance was for 160/8#. Lotta people know a lot a things that ain't really so. Try it yourself. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've done pressure and velocity testing with it my 30-06. It works very well with 165/168 gr bullets. Next I'm going to try it with 150 gr. bullets.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Logger the the Super and 180's are the tits. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would have to check my handloading records to find all the Superformance loads tried, but its most recent triumph is with 70-grain bullets in the pair of 1-8" twist .22-250 we have from Whittaker Guns. Mostly have used the 70-grain Hornady GMX on deer-sized game, but it also shoots very well with softer bullets for longer-range varminting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have used Superformance since it came out. It worked Very well in my 270 Win with 140gr Accubonds at 3040 FPS. IIt was very accurate. most accurate powder in my Vanguard at the time. But I have now moved on to RL23 because it is more

temperature Stable. i,m currently working om loads using Superformance inmy 7mm-08 with 140gr and 145gr bullets time will tell how it works out, but it looks promising. I had to make up my own loads and just finished a ladder test with the

7mm-08. Hope this helps.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
It works great in my tikka 22-250, 1 in 8 twist with 80 grain bullets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never used superformance in any of my 25-06's but I try and run some RL19 in my 85gr NBTs & 100gr anything really. Sorry not very helpful, but almost always very accurate.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.