Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
[

The measurements on your camp record are wrong - and not by just a few inches.
And the alleged 80# of entrails from said deer were not more than that of a mature elk.

The camp record? You mean this fellow?

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Look, all I know is that folks were begging me to measure it, and I did, doing the best job I could. I measured 165". I'm not claiming to have it officially scored. I'm not particularly tied to any particular number. I'm open to any estimate you want to give. If you all say it's 140 or 180, I'm happy with it. I don't go in for measuring racks. I think it's kind of silly. Pick a number. All I know is that it was far and away the largest deer we've taken on the property. As to the entrails, I bagged them up and brought them back to camp. Yeah, I know that was silly, but the truck was right there, and they were laying in the creek bed. Nowadays, I'd leave them lay. For grins, I put them up on the scale (ooops! I went back and looked at the original article. It specifies 70 lbs of viscera). My apologies. This was back in 2007. It's been a while. They did indeed feel like a sack of cement. The deer here are big. I've seen 300 pounders at the processors. It also states, that my estimate of the rack was 150 inches at the time I shot it. I measured 165 inches after it was back from the taxidermist.

Here is the original story that was posted on the Campfire:

https://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=212

I seriously would like to get this resolved. I know it all causes you a great deal of consternation. What acts of contrition do y'all require to get this taken care of?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Shaman, Every year we are required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife, to do a wildlife survey of this ranch, we turn our #s over to them and they tell us how many does and bucks we need to kill, it's usually some where between 350 total and 450 total, but has been as high as 550 deer, we weigh every deer live weight and dressed weight, score every buck, age and collect the lower jaw of all deer.

This information helps us manage the habitat, and keep a healthy deer population, scoring and ageing bucks, will help you manage your herd. every deer is a trophy to the person that kills it. Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I bet I killed a hundred deer at ranges short of 75 yards with a lit cigarette hanging out of my mouth. I quit smoking 10 years ago now and miss the constant wind direction indicator of cigarette smoke.

LOL, my dad used to do that when he took me hunting as a kid. Always smoking. I'd tell him to stop and he'd say there's a highway over there, or a farm over there, there's all kinds of stink wafting around when you hunt this close to anything. We shot plenty of deer when he was smoking a cigarette.
If you're down wind of the deer, it doesn't matter if you're covered in gasoline.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman
I honestly have not measured this rack. I know it dwarves the one I once measured at 125" and it's smaller than the camp record that I measured at 165". We're more worried about pounds of yield than inches of rack. I figure it to be about #4 or #5 on the camp's list. He took up a bunch of freezer space.

Here's another view of the buck:
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

I'm not saying that baking soda is magic, but something significant is going on when a guy like this stands downwind from you at 20 yards, and he's more worried about the doe than you,

That ain't even the same buck as in the first pic. You're supposed to use the side of the tape that measures in inches, not centimeters.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[ That ain't even the same buck as in the first pic. You're supposed to use the side of the tape that measures in inches, not centimeters.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've changed the pic. It was on an adjacent thumbnail and I was working fast last night.

The pic I put up in error was Angus' buck from 0645 on The Opener of that season. He had his buck tag filled in the first 5 minutes of season.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[ That ain't even the same buck as in the first pic. You're supposed to use the side of the tape that measures in inches, not centimeters.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've changed the pic. It was on an adjacent thumbnail and I was working fast last night.
Don't get me wrong shaman, those are some nice bucks, especially your camp record. I just think you're doing something wrong in your measuring somehow.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7

Shaman, Every year we are required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife, to do a wildlife survey of this ranch, we turn our #s over to them and they tell us how many does and bucks we need to kill, it's usually some where between 350 total and 450 total, but has been as high as 550 deer, we weigh every deer live weight and dressed weight, score every buck, age and collect the lower jaw of all deer.

This information helps us manage the habitat, and keep a healthy deer population, scoring and ageing bucks, will help you manage your herd. every deer is a trophy to the person that kills it. Rio7

With only a paltry 200 acres, I find it hard to fathom those numbers. Frankly, for freezer filler, it seems like an awful lot of work, but I know every place has its own view of things. We have about 15 deer on the property at any given time. 1-2 are mature bucks worth shooting.

" every deer is a trophy to the person that kills it" I'd certainly like to think so. Other folks can argue over inches. I'm just glad to have the chance to be out. Folks make fun of me for my left nut stories, but the first thing I asked the surgeon last month was "Will I be able to be in my stand on the Opener?"

---- SWOOOSH! I'm sure that went over somebody's head. That's okay. I'll tell the jokes slower from now on.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Horns make thin soup.

Never read anything about baking soda before but have used similar procedures for 30 years. I was a still hunter in the Northern California Cascade mountains for blacktail deer. These are spooky brush loving little devils. There weren't many people up there and I could hunt a week without seeing anybody. The wind shifted with the time of day and terrain and I was always aware of it's direction. That said I did everything I could to eliminate as much scent as possible. From baking soda in my cloths, scent free soaps, deodorants and scent free spray antiperspireants on my feet. There were a lot of bay trees in the area so I made a bay tea and used it in a spray bottle.

Was I scent free, No. But I eliminated as much scent as I could and covered what I could. I've had deer bed down around me and most of my deer were shot a 25 yards. Scent control or reduction, not elimination, is a key piece of my hunting puzzle. It works when properly used with the other parts.

Last edited by Freezer; 09/24/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm not saying that baking soda is magic, but something significant is going on when a guy like this stands downwind from you at 20 yards, and he's more worried about the doe than you,

You're not wrong - there is something significant going on in that scenario.....

Two hints - happens every November and rhymes with slut.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillestadj
[

You're not wrong - there is something significant going on in that scenario.....

Two hints - happens every November and rhymes with slut.

Gee! You think? I never put this all together before. Thanks for the hint. They were smelling my nuts!
Ha! Fooled them. I'll be 50% more invisible this year.
You guys ought to write magazine articles or something. This needs to get out. Although, I doubt many folks are going to make the sacrifice.

crazy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I'll start - check out my blog. Working on D&DH pro-staff credentials.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet I killed a hundred deer at ranges short of 75 yards with a lit cigarette hanging out of my mouth. I quit smoking 10 years ago now and miss the constant wind direction indicator of cigarette smoke.

LOL, my dad used to do that when he took me hunting as a kid. Always smoking. I'd tell him to stop and he'd say there's a highway over there, or a farm over there, there's all kinds of stink wafting around when you hunt this close to anything. We shot plenty of deer when he was smoking a cigarette.
If you're down wind of the deer, it doesn't matter if you're covered in gasoline.

Hunt down wind of a paper mill and you could [bleep] your pants and it wouldn't matter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Hunt down wind of a paper mill and you could [bleep] your pants and it wouldn't matter.
I've heard they smell bad but have no personal experience. One of my old hunting buddies suffered from IBS. Farted every 10 minutes and left piles of shyt everywhere he went. I could smell him from 50 yards away in thick cover if the wind was right. He was a deer killin SOB anyway.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Unless you’re covered in gasoline and smoking.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tzone

Unless you’re covered in gasoline and smoking.
Yeah that wouldn't be good. The reason I said gasoline was because my hunting partner accidentally spilled gas on his boots and lower pant leg one morning on our way out to hunt. He paid it no mind and killed a nice buck shortly after sunrise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know WTF this means, but it is funny as hell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You know....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You know....

I know what your point is behind posting it, but not what the wizard is doing and whatever else is going on in the GIF.

Unless it is just portraying fake magic voodoo or digging shlt out of his ass. Then, it still cracks me up.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'll start - check out my blog. Working on D&DH pro-staff credentials.

That guy's just a poser. You need to experience the real thing. That guy must hire himself to neo-pagan gatherings. I recognize the hand gestures. He's read a book or two. That's it.

If you need help with a blog, let me know.

Don't bother with the D&DH credentials. They lost all their credibility when they brought Ted Nugent on as an editor.

[

10Glocks: You're sounding like Ted Nugent. Trust me, that's not a viable strategy for hunting bucks. I won't discuss how I know this to be true.

Don't get me wrong shaman, those are some nice bucks, especially your camp record. I just think you're doing something wrong in your measuring somehow.

Thanks. Any guesses are welcome. As I said:

I do not hold myself out to be a good judge of antler. In the back of my head is a small sensor that has three basic states. One is “DOE.” The second is “HAS ANTLERS.” The third is “Quint, I think we’re going to need a bigger boat.” I know that admission has lowered my esteem in your eyes, but I have to be honest. I learned how to hunt deer at a time when doe were not to be taken, anything with an antler was a gift from the Gods, and big racks were only seen hanging in restaurants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You know....

I know what your point is behind posting it, but not what the wizard is doing and whatever else is going in the GIF.

Unless it is just portraying fake magic voodoo or digging shlt out of his ass. Then, it still cracks me up.

All will be revealed.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.