Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I didn't illustrate anything. I asked a question out of boredom and curiosity just to see what the masses view as a general purpose projectile. In this time of shortages it gives a guy other options to consider that he may not have otherwise. Then you show up with your senseless dribble. One more for the ignore list.

ARIC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Ky221
20” barrel, 12” twist, 55 gr FMJ. Works in everything from monkeys to elephant, inclusive.

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]

YMMV but I'd consider a full metal jacket to be the exact opposite of a Jack of all trades bullet; seeing as the only thing it does well is punch paper.

Thank you for illustrating your narrow perspective.

While its far from my first choice, m193 or any 5.56 loaded 55 gr ball actually kills quite well unless speed drops off.

Dan knows what he speaks of. Hard to trump first hand experience with it in Indochina.

I've never shot any yellow folks or elephants with it but I know it kills pretty damn well within its velocity parameters for upset.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dude270
20” barrel, 12” twist, 55 gr FMJ. Works in everything from monkeys to elephant, inclusive.

YMMV but I'd consider a full metal jacket to be the exact opposite of a Jack of all trades bullet; seeing as the only thing it does well is punch paper.

While its far from my first choice, m193 or any 5.56 loaded 55 gr ball actually kills quite well unless speed drops off.

Dan knows what he speaks of. Hard to trump first hand experience with it in Indochina.

I've never shot any yellow folks or elephants with it but I know it kills pretty damn well within its velocity parameters for upset.

Like I said YMMV. I'm aware of double Ds Vietnam story, I've read it. But I don't see how shooting someone in indochina has anything to do with a do-all hunting load. I shot a couple of fox years ago with 55g ball and the results were less than impressive. I have thousands of 55g ball projectiles; but it's the last thing I'm reaching for when developing a load that im going to hunt with. What got double ds panties in a wad is a mystery to me and tbh I really don't care.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My feelers are hurt. grin

The specs I referenced were based on experience, not conjecture. Perhaps you have yet to recognize that a bullet is only one part of the death equation?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Burned up a bunch of various 55 grain FMJBT's. You could use it but there are better choices. Not real good on Prairie dogs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the 65 grain SGK as the all around bullet. It shoots lights out in all my .223’s kills deer deadernhell and is not too much bullet for coyotes and other varmints.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess it depends on which side of the pendulum you fall. I’ve got a bunch of 62 grain SOST bullets that are supposed to be the best of both worlds. But I’ve got TSX’s and then I’ve got 77 SMK’s and 55 grain NBT’s as well as 55 FMJ just to be safe.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
A tsx or partition

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been going 53g vmax in my slow twist stuff and 75g Hornady bthp or 73g eldm in my ars and fast twist guns. My 223 ai bolt gun still gets 75g amaxes.

Bb

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My feelers are hurt. grin

The specs I referenced were based on experience, not conjecture. Perhaps you have yet to recognize that a bullet is only one part of the death equation?

I have a buddy that uses 55gr fmj on yotes. Coyotes die and those pills don't wreck the pelts too bad. Personally, I wouldn't want to get hit by any bullet coming out of a 223/556 AR15 rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Crazy talk, unless you said Hornady 55gr sp w/cann.

(At less than 10 cents a piece like they should be.)

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think a great all around bullet should be terminally effective, readily available, accurate and fairly inexpensive. The 62 gr. Fusion, 64 gr. Gold Dot, 63 and 65 gr. Sierra GK, 60 gr. Nosler Partition, 64 gr. Power Point, 60 gr. Hornady all work in that role.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dude270

Like I said YMMV. I'm aware of double Ds Vietnam story, I've read it. But I don't see how shooting someone in indochina has anything to do with a do-all hunting load. I shot a couple of fox years ago with 55g ball and the results were less than impressive. I have thousands of 55g ball projectiles; but it's the last thing I'm reaching for when developing a load that im going to hunt with. What got double ds panties in a wad is a mystery to me and tbh I really don't care.

Panties in a wad? Your imagination is interesting. I don't care what you use or what you use it on. Recall I said "monkeys to elephant"? That includes a variety of birds, pigs, monkeys, people, tigers, water buffalo and an elephant. Little bit of marginal stability, tuff bullet and a lot of velocity....worked every time. They even worked on Lambrettas and small cars.

You'll find what you need/want, I'm certain of that. It is a combo from yesteryear and given trends in recent years they might not be the best, who knows?

Maybe the Shadow do.........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by gunner500
I bought a crap load of 64gr Nosler bonded from Shooters Pro Shop.

Hard to beat that as an all around choice. Easy expansion and shows good barrier performance.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The best cheap 224 bullet is the Hornady 55sp. I've killed everything from whitetails to coyotes, beaver to chucks.
It's a pretty good paper puncher too. I like the 65 sierra GK too, But they don't have the cheap factor.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A jelly donut?

Why, how did it get here?

Not to derail, but how in the hell does the Gunny have 2 purple hearts and no Combat Action Ribbon? It is possible I guess, but I doubt the Gunny didn't rate a CAR. If he really did rate it in real life, he would have worn it in the movie I am sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a cheaper do it all I would say the 75 grain horn bthp.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by hanco
I have several thousand 62 grain Bear Claws. They will do anything I need. I use them in 233’s and 22-250’s

Good to hear, i've loaded up 300 of those in 223 myself, another bullet i've never ran into meat.

They will slap through a 200 lb piggies shoulders at 200 yards to parts unknown. I don’t hunt deer with a 223, but I wouldn’t be nervous about it with a Bear Claw.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hornady 55 gr psp w/cannelure is my general purpose bullet in our .223's. It works quite well from sage rats to coyotes. I haven't used it on anything bigger but friends have and it worked for them.

I wish Hornady had kept producing the 62 grain PSP w/cannelure they did a year or so ago.

As it stands, if going for larger game, I would use either 64 gr PP or 60 gr NPT.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.