Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I just wanted to share the results of my latest score. I just finished sorting a bucket of wheelweights that I got from my local tire shop. The percentage of lead is slowly getting smaller in favor of other materials but I'm still seeing about 60% lead. Thats better than other areas are seeing.

What I am seeing is that Steel weights seem to be replacing Zinc weights, which I see as a good thing. I'm also seeing more stick-on weights.

I'm not actively looking for lead anymore. This little shop is local to me and is the only place that I get weights from anymore, except for what me and a buddy pick up off of the street corners and exit ramps. Don't laugh, this comes to nearly 5 gallons of weights a year. Its kind of a game to us!

I'm not bragging ;), just wanted to share my findings with any of you that still use weights.

lightman
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
😊👍

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

👍. lightman, I’m just getting back into casting, and I discovered something quite peculiar! My 5 gallon bucket weighs a lots more than it did about 15 years ago when I stored them in the pole barn! How can that happen? 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by memtb

👍. lightman, I’m just getting back into casting, and I discovered something quite peculiar! My 5 gallon bucket weighs a lots more than it did about 15 years ago when I stored them in the pole barn! How can that happen? 😂 memtb

I think it comes from having birthdays?

lightman
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lightman

Well, that explains it! I’ve had quite a few! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And I thought I was the only one jumping out of the truck at stop lights to pick up lead balance weights, hardware etc !!!

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A buddy called me last weekend to remind me I left two five gallon buckets full of wheelweights at his house 12 or 13 years ago. I had long forgotten all about them. Guess what I'm doing this weekend.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am finally getting around to smelting several buckets of wheelweights a tire shop gave me 20 years ago. They've been sitting in a storage shed. I think they gained a lot of weight too over the years!
The good news is they are at least 99% lead. I sorted three 5 gallon buckets so far and only found a handful of zinc or steel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lightman

No, I think the lead is getting heavier! Just like the ground is a lot harder than it was when I was 14 and camping out all the time. :-)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m sure that by now you’ve found other things aren’t as hard as they were back then 😆

"We don't rent pigs"
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I just finished sorting my last haul of wheel weights and I’m seeing the same results as Lightman, more steel, much less zinc and more stick on steel weights. I’m now averaging about 50% lead. Down significantly from 10 years ago. I get the lead for free so I’m not complaining.

Nick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.