Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Nice, Congrats! Enjoy the meat!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 10/30/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good job Mike!

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Good job Mike!

I just posted the pic for the OP!

I haven't hunted since leaving Texas. (sadly...)

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My friend came down to hunt the last two days of blacktail season Thurs/Fri. Having already filled my tag I figured I'd be the designated guide, caller, and meat packer. We hunted Thursday up high and found some deer and bear but it was a monsoon with torrential rain and 40 mph winds. It was fun the first few hours then we buggered off the mountain for lower country. In the afternoon we beat feet into a spot I had a big buck pinned down last season. We hunted up to a hilltop where he beds and wouldn't you know it I kicked him out of a rockpile right after we separated. Of course I have no deer tag and Todd was 150 yards downhill. .

Today we went to a lower area then hiked 1 mile up to another honey hole I've killed a few bucks in. We rattled in a button buck which Todd passed. Saw another forked horn on our way up the mountain, again, Todd and I a few yards apart and guess who runs into the buck bedded on a ridgeline? Yep. No tag.

Nearing the top when we jump three does that head around the ridge to the west. Knowing this area is thick with bucks I suspected there'd be one there and sure enough, but he dove into a brush choked canyon to the east. We separate again Todd goes low, I go high. The idea is I would sprint to the 200 yards to the top, get above him, and try to flush him downhill to Todd for a shot. Poked around for a while with no shots heard. Since so much brushy canyon is visible from here I decide to sit down and rattle and call to see if I can make something move that Todd might be able to see on the far hillside. Guess who has a PERFECT 4x4 blacktail sneak in behind him to 45 yards? Yep, the guy with no tag. Beautiful, perfect textbook 4x4 blacktail buck, just gorgeous coloration and a real nice deer. *sigh

I thrash around in the brush for another two hours trying to flush something out that Todd can see but finally with my glasses in a constant state of fogging up from fog and sweat I decide to head the mile back down to the rig. By now Todd's been gone 3 hours and I have no idea if I'm even beating the right brush for him.

On the way up the mountain we'd seen that there had been two different bears working this ridgeline this morning. Even though it was raining the tracks were screaming fresh. Guess who runs into a bear at 25' on the way down the mountain? Yeah, me, the guy carrying a bear tag, a 22 magnum pistol, and no rifle. Since I was the designated guide and had not seen a bear here before, I elected to go with just a sidearm. Maybe if I hadn't been an idiot and had carried a sidearm big enough to actually use on something I could have filled the bear tag. But noooooo, I had a 22 magnum.

Holy cow. Saw one more buck right before dark, looked like a 3x3. Todd came back to the truck right at dark and had passed a 2x3 buck on this his last day because it was late and was one canyon over, 300+ yards. As I waited for Todd to arrive I watched a button buck feed 50 yards from the truck until dark. Todd was too tired to even want to fill his tag when he got back. We loaded up and came home to steak and baked potatoes off the smoker. Thanks wifey!

Another blacktail season over, unless the neighbor needs me to do some rattling for him in his late archery season. Still got time to chase bears but work limiting my ability to get loose.

LOL
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations!!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Finally got one this morning. About daylight about 50 came running across the ranch. Couldn't get close enough for a shot before they went into no-no land. Dave and Ralph had gone ahead. They called to say there was a large herd over near where Dave got his bull. They came and got me in the truck. We drove over to about 3/4's of a mile from the herd. They milled around, started to go one way, then the other, some lay down, some were feeding. After quite a while we decided to move towards them. Some came up on a ridge about 250 yards away. I shot and mine dropped. Dave shot and missed. Ralph was leaning over the hood of Dave's truck and shot the ram hood ornament. I think my elk will taste better than Ralph's ram.
I hit my elk in the left shoulder, bullet went through the heart with a little entry hole and a large exit hole. The bullet didn't come out the other side. The elk is hanging in the shop. I'll go look for the bullet, pull the ivories and the tenderloins as soon as I find out if I got the 29 Ford cabriolet in Vermont.
Can't post pics, files are too big. These pics don't lend themselves to being reduced in size.
The load I used was 150 g Nosler partition and 43 grains of RL15.
Going after a buffalo on Pearl Harbor day with this rifle. Will use 180 Nosler partitions. Got to work up the load yet.
Cropped the pics. The elk pic would be better if you could see all of her.
[Linked Image]
entry wound on heart
[Linked Image]
exit wound on heart
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 11/18/21.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I messed up. should have posted this on the kill post. Don't know how to move it there.

wyo1895
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well played, David!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes sir, a job well done!! Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gotta love it. Good job!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done.

Shame you ruined that heart.

Frying up some deer heart and onions even as I type this... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice! I knew a guy who was checking zero on his rifle by shooting across the box of his pickup, took 2 shots before he realized he was shooting his truck.

Lee

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
polecat, it takes all kinds. When I told my wife about Ralph shooting the hood ornament she said she didn't want me hunting with Ralph anymore. I guess she thinks he'll shoot me. I rested across the corner of the bed of Dave's truck. It worked.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice! Beautiful cow!

Dave should be proud of his first "RAM"....but your right. That cow will be much better eating!

Last edited by Blacktail53; 11/18/21.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great hunt. All kinds of memories including the inedible ones are fun! Congrats.

Bruce
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Honestly, who hasn't shot at least one truck while roadhunting? It's a rite of passage.

LOL
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Murderer!

LOL

LOL
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.