Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have an opportunity to buy a pre 64 model 70 shooter with a 5 digit serial number putting it late 1937 to early 1938.My question is availability of parts if something breaks.

Thanks

MAC

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lots of parts available on eBay and other sources (pre-war parts are a bit more expensive), I really wouldn’t worry about anything breaking.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What he said!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought my first pre'64 M/70 in 1975 and have owned many over the years, never had any parts breakage.

M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the fast replies. I did not think breakage would be an issue but wear might. Just have to figure counter offer on price should be.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One of the allures of the M70 is they're like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Taking into consideration all of the pre 64's I have owned, I have had one give a problem.

It had some sort of problem with the safety not moving correctly. While I am all thumbs with fixing rifle problems, my local gunsmith fixed it quickly and cheaply.

In short, don't worry about possible problems. Those rifles were made to last and have proven it.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the first hand info.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
a few years ago I had a chance to handle and then shoot the 1950 made M70 in .375 H&H owned and used on the south end of Kodiak Island for 40 years by Morris Talifson, the famed brown bear guide. 40 years with both a spring and fall season on one of the harshest hunting environments on earth. The rifle fed rounds unbelieveably smooth.

On another occasion I had a lengthly conversation with one of the most celebrated hi-power shooters in the country, Middleton Tompkins. He used pre-64 M70 actions on his hi-power rifles for many, many years and won 6 national titles as I remember. I asked him how many rounds he thought he'd put thru one of his actions: he kind of chuckled and said "oh, probably close to 50,000." I asked did he ever had an action part break. He said just one extractor collar.

Kind of hard to find any better testimonials than those 2 about the ruggedness of those old M70s.

M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
a few years ago I had a chance to handle and then shoot the 1950 made M70 in .375 H&H owned and used on the south end of Kodiak Island for 40 years by Morris Talifson, the famed brown bear guide. 40 years with both a spring and fall season on one of the harshest hunting environments on earth. The rifle fed rounds unbelieveably smooth.

On another occasion I had a lengthly conversation with one of the most celebrated hi-power shooters in the country, Middleton Tompkins. He used pre-64 M70 actions on his hi-power rifles for many, many years and won 6 national titles as I remember. I asked him how many rounds he thought he'd put thru one of his actions: he kind of chuckled and said "oh, probably close to 50,000." I asked did he ever had an action part break. He said just one extractor collar.

Kind of hard to find any better testimonials than those 2 about the ruggedness of those old M70s.

ruffed that is a true fact for sure. That speaks volumes about the actions. Now to figure what would be a fair price. This rifle is pretty well used but when you look at the age and how many hunting seasons it must have seen.

MAC

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC08

ruffed that is a true fact for sure. That speaks volumes about the actions. Now to figure what would be a fair price. This rifle is pretty well used but when you look at the age and how many hunting seasons it must have seen.

MAC

Buy the rifle... don't worry to much about the price... it is a treasure

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Pre64win.com has any parts you might need in the future. The gentleman that runs it is a pleasure to deal with as well.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MAC08

H

MAC

Honest pre-war rifles with no modifications command a premium.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What makes this one a "shooter" and not a collector? Is it just honest wear or has it had the rear bridge drilled and the stock cut for a pad?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Stock was cut for recoil pad.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The "pre '64 genre Winchester evolved across several principal sub models. All 'incremental'. Beyond 'collector' nuances, notable distinction some find negative is the so-called "flag safety". Not exactly scope friendly, Bit more svelte and scope compatible on later versions.
What you will get is the 'primo' prewar vintage Winchester is incrementally better quality. To me, well worth a premium. Incrementally slicker cycling action. The prewar to early postwar stocks also differ from latter ones, but only in inletting. Of course, no Monte Carlo stock pattern, such arriving in the fifties. All factors equal, I'd definitely prefer the prewar genre! Some exemplars from my collection 'not for prime time' photo files. Close ups Illustrating the safety difference. Coincidentally the inletting "tang area" difference too; more streamlined as latter. Scopes on prewar flag safety models, 'iffy' and 'may' achieve technical clearance, yet be clumsy to manipulate ergonomically.

Returned to add a full left side pix joining brief 'for interest' narrative... Rifle, Win 70 Super Grade, 15K serial range = 1939, in .257 Roberts. The scope is Weaver and scope mounts the 'collector friendly' Stith "no drill" species. Considered as complimenting rather than "extra holes", destroying collectability. Noting too, among collector qualified prewars, I have several 'extra holes' 70 models.... And loving them! smile

Good luck!
John

Attached Images
R415-4U.jpg (26.32 KB, 219 downloads)
R415-21.jpg (19.3 KB, 222 downloads)
R416-10U.jpg (22.17 KB, 218 downloads)
R415-5U.jpg (22.07 KB, 200 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 09/25/21.
M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
John thanks for the advice and photos to put it in perspective for me.

M
MAC08 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well I needed up bringing this pre 64 rifle home with me for what I think was a decent price. The stock at some point had a cheek piece I think epoxied on it, has a small crack in the wrist and a recoil pad was installed. The rear sight is not with the rifle (so need to find one). Barrel marked 30 GOV'T' 06. Blue I think is normal for a hunting rifle from 1938 time frame.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like it definitely needs a stock. You don't say if its been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, or if it has any extra holes. I know that was not the intention of your op, but those are some of the things I look for when looking at rifles I'm going to buy. Bore condition, how it functions, check the safety and trigger, missing sights and front hood, re-blued and refinished. All considerations when buying a used rifle, especially a pre 64 model 70. Hopefully it's not too bad and is still serviceable. Keep in mind, the stock may cost more than $500.00 for an original condition clover leaf tang. The last one I had, I could have sold for $600.00, but it was for a 375H&H, which is even more difficult to find. If your rifle has extra holes, you might as well just buy a stock that has a recoil pad on it or has been cut for one and install a good pachmayr on it. All costs you will incur to get the rifle back into action. Even stocks with recoil pads have been bringing pretty good money lately. Upwards of $400.00. Good luck with your new rifle. It is probably like a lot of them: Carried far more than they were shot.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mac, it would be good if you could get some photos up. Maybe that stock is salvageable in shooter context. Bedding material curing internal ills, if any. Some of the modern glues & paints, I'd suppose to cure structural/aesthetic ills. In all this, Mac not to insult you with pablum dialogue. Just don't know your knowledge/skill levels & attacking the described situation in basic terms!

BSA, I don't know much about the most recent decades of aftermarket 'plastic stocks'! Are there any OK types reasonably priced, available for the prewar vintage Model 70 rifles? Perhaps a source there? Otherwise eBay perhaps!

Best!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 30 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.