Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
My silencer should be out of jail any day now. It’s 30 cal and rated for up to RUM belt fed yadda yadda. I don’t have a lathe set up at the moment and the only threaded rifle I have is my AR.
It’ll be primarily used for behind the seat of the truck for coyotes and pigs. I use the 223 in this role now and have no issues with killing even big pigs plus I have thousands of rounds of brass. Blackout doesn’t have enough poop for my uses but a 7.62x39 might be okay.

I want detachable mags, AR mags would be great but not mandatory. I’m also not into spending a ton of cash on a truck gun that’s going to get beat on.

What would you get? RAR? T3? Something I don’t know about?

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I don't use a can, but I have an American Ranch in Blackout. It's not much of a looker or spectacularly accurate, about 1.5 MOA, but it carries and handles very nicely. The tang safety is a big plus for me, and the trigger is pretty good.

Never zapped a hog with it but it makes short work of coyotes out to 125 yards or so with a 125 grain TNT. 7.62x39 would definitely give you a bit more zap, and they take AR mags.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Ruger American Ranch sounds perfect for that role and the 223 should be plenty with the right bullet. The 77 TMK gets a lot of credit on big game. If you weren’t so invested in the 223 and didn’t mind spending a bit more on ammo I would recommend it in 6.5 grendal. Or there is the predator line if you want to use a more powerful 308/creedmoor family cartridge.

A threaded tikka for a 308 can means the CTR line, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited by akmtnrunner; 09/25/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The threading on some of these economy models leaves something to be desired. ARs are hard to beat for sure feeding from cheap mags.

My truck gun is the cheapest 6.5G AR I could build. I have run ARs hard enough to find out what breaks. One mag full on a herd of pigs does not require a top tier build.

And 6.5G will kill what is hiding behind a more substantial barrier than 223.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just use your AR. My suppressor is 30 CAL and works great on my AR’s and they kill deer and pigs just fine as you noted.

I impulse bought the Ruger ranch in 556 two weeks ago. It weighed 6 lbs. 1 oz. and felt good so I brought it home. It’s shooting well with 55 soft point, 73LD, and 75BTSP all over benchmark after it’s one trip to the range. With that said, I am wishing I hadn’t got it. I already have ARs that do the same thing.

Last edited by IDMilton; 09/25/21.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B2

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
What kind of adjustable gas block are you guys using on your ARs? Any other tweeks I should be looking at before I screw it on the AR?

IDMilton if you decide you need to unload that RAR let me know, I might be interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am using a GEN 1 Syrac and a Seekins. I should qualify that word using. I had read that when I got my suppressor I would need to adjust the gas down. All it did was change the ejection pattern from four or 5 o’clock to 3 o’clock and I really can’t tell much difference on the recoil so I just left the Gas blocks alone. I shoot in the winter a lot and that little extra gas is probably fine anyway.

I did add some RTV silicone to the charging handles to help with any gas coming out there. Adjusting my gas blocks might help with that so I guess I should go do some experimenting but it is working fine now.

I will play with the American ranch some more and see if it grows on me. Plus, I’m pretty lazy and don’t want to mess with shipping right now:-) if you end up getting one they are just a regular blued metal, so you may have to worry about rust as opposed to the AR Nitride finish. I put the Dyna Tek gun shield inside and out of the ranch when I got it because I have had great luck with it on several rifles protecting them from rust.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.