Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have never hunted elk and have no experience with them, but I have an interest. What is the reality of the score of a good elk?

It is my understanding that for much public land hunting, particularly DIY, even 4 pt and 5t bulls can be tough to get. For private land hunts, excluding the mega bull ranches that are charging 20K, what is a good bull? 300, 325, 350?

I suspect 350 and better bulls are talked about far more than are taken. For those of you that regularly hunt elk, what is the reality.

405wcf

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I hunt Roosevelt elk on public land in western Washington logging country. They only occur west of the Cascade crest, they're a different species than Rocky Mountain elk, and their antlers are much smaller compared to their body size than you'd see with Rocky Mountain elk.

I don't know much about points and inches and thirds, but I'd shoot any elk that passed the old-timer test, which is if an old-time elk hunter walked into a bar in a logging town and saw my elk hanging on the wall, then I'd want him to say, "That's a pretty good bull."

I'd shoot a bigger one if I saw it, but around here you probably shouldn't pass up many animals.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not trying to sound like a Smart @#s, but to me your question is a loaded question,
by that I mean, to me any Elk you shoot is a prize!
No kidding!
The meat is good, and these animals are trying not to get shot!
Any Bull with a Bow is a Trophy!
We can argue these points all day! The more experienced Trophy Hunters, who go in to a specific Area that's known for Big Bulls,
Will increase their odds, a t a 350+ Bull or you'll hear them say that 400 inch Bulls aren't uncommon!
Different Strokes!
There's Meat Hunters, Horn Hunters, All different kinds!
I think that you have to figure out what you want, to really answer your Question! JMO!

I Think we all like to see, hear, and talk about nice Bulls!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
350 and better are considered big bulls.
To me anything over 300 is a good and a wall hanger, probably because I don’t have a big one hanging yet.

In my the last 14 years of elk hunting on public land, I’ve only had a handful of big bull encounters. Either wrong unit, tag, Season or I already filled my tag with a rag horn or spike.
Any elk is a trophy to me

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only time I’ve seen really big bulls is a couple of times during deer season and no elk tag. I take a legal bull at first opportunity and never regret it. I used to hold out for the trophy and ate a lot of tag soup. Since I’m near the 2-minute warning, 4th and long, I’m not so picky. The trophy elk is in the eye of the beholder.

Deer? Different story. I won’t consider a shot unless it’s potential 180 or better.

Happy Trails

Last edited by WAM; 09/25/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 405wcf

It is my understanding that for much public land hunting, particularly DIY, even 4 pt and 5t bulls can be tough to get. For private land hunts, excluding the mega bull ranches that are charging 20K, what is a good bull? 300, 325, 350?

Uh, outfitter buddy of mine is charging 30K+ for some of the bulls on his property, and he books full every year. Now that there is some rarified air IMHO.

Apparently not a slam dunk deal either. He said last season 7 hunters just flat out missed on their one opportunity to score a bruiser.

Last edited by Puddle; 09/25/21.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I have never hunted elk and have no experience with them, but I have an interest. What is the reality of the score of a good elk?

I suspect 350 and better bulls are talked about far more than are taken. For those of you that regularly hunt elk, what is the reality.

405wcf

You have a pretty good grasp on reality. Private land bulls I'd be ( and have been..) happy with anything 300 and over. I hunted good private land for over 25 years and took two bulls over 300 in that time. Bear in mind we hunted elk for winter meat so the first legal thing in range got the tag.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot some decent bulls, but I subscribe to the old saying, "Never pass one on the first day that you would shoot on the last day".

300 is a nice bull, anything over that is something special.
Phil

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
350 and over is a fine elk.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In Colorado, the elk are managed for quantity,not quality.Every unit might have 2-3 each 300+bulls,but they are few and far between and just as many are taken on OTC tags as drawn tags. 4x4' s and small 5'xs are the norm of elk taken and if you see a legal bull,you had best shoot it because it might be the only one you see. During peak rut/archery season, you might have a better chance of an encounter, but overalls success rate for archery in CO is about 10%and that is for all elk, bulls,cows, calves
I would not pay a private land fee unless the success rate for a 325+ bull was very good.

My biggest bull, which I measured was 343 and taken in a trophy unit in NW Colorado that issued only 25 tags a year.That took one took me 21 years to draw.

I have that one mounted and two 5x6's .One taken in Alberta on a guided hunt back in the 80's and one DIY in an OTC unit in Colorado

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most people WAY overestimate elk. Seen many “300” ” bulls that are really 275/280.

It also seems the bigger they are, the more people overestimate them. I would guess very few have seen a true 350”+ bull. Eta; especially on public.

Last edited by SLM; 09/25/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one came off private land in southeast Colorado and scored 330 or so. We saw a couple that were bigger and a 7x7 shot in the same valley a few days before we arrived. Too big to put inside, so it became a Euro mount overlooking our courtyard..
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This bull was in an open unit but after the season had closed, and I was hunting cows. He may be the largest I have ever seen, controlled area or not and suspect he is 350-360".
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Honestly, I believe I have seen 10X more 180 class mule deer than 350 class elk but I admittedly am not a guy who crazes over huge antlers and usually takes a raghorn so that I can get on to other hunts, especially on general tags which is all I have ever had for Rocky Mountain bulls.

As far as reality for inexperienced elk hunters, I think tag soup is reality, normally. People say elk are way easier than mule deer (at least mature mule deer), but I disagree. Maybe it is just the way I hunt and glass. I dunno but that is my experience.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is some bull!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crshelton
This one came off private land in southeast Colorado and scored 330 or so. We saw a couple that were bigger and a 7x7 shot in the same valley a few days before we arrived. Too big to put inside, so it became a Euro mount overlooking our courtyard..

That's a solid bull that I'd shoot in a heartbeat, but he doesn't look 330" to me.

Was your estimate based on an unofficial and green score that the guides/ranch hands did?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman

That's a solid bull that I'd shoot in a heartbeat, but he doesn't look 330" to me.

Was your estimate based on an unofficial and green score that the guides/ranch hands did?

Yeah. I've got 2 or 3 290" bulls that are bigger than that guy....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree. That bull doesn’t make 300.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be ecstatic with a 300 class bull anytime. There are some places where a 300 is considered too small, but those places usually take years to draw, very deep pockets, or the right contacts.

I have killed two over 300 and do not care if I ever shoot another, if one steps out great, but inches of antler do not mean that much anymore.

Arcus Venator
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
^^^^^ That’s still a nice bull regardless of real or guesstimated numbers. Last 2 bulls I shot consecutive opening day(s) were 5x5 and 5x7. I was happy to get them both and would hope that I can repeat. I guess that if you hunt long enough, a trophy might stumble across your path. I eat 52 weeks a year and elk hunt about 2 1/2 weeks. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CRS
I would be ecstatic with a 300 class bull anytime. There are some places where a 300 is considered too small, but those places usually take years to draw, very deep pockets, or the right contacts.

I have killed two over 300 and do not care if I ever shoot another, if one steps out great, but inches of antler do not mean that much anymore.

I agree, I quit hunting with a tape measure years ago. Any branch antlered bull is fine with me. I've shot enough big bulls in my 74 years. There ain't enough 300" and up bulls in Wyoming for every guy that wants one, that's for sure & for certain. Set your sights a bit lower or be sorely disappointed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never bothered to learn how to measure and have no idea of what numbers are considered a really good one other than seeing one with WOW value. It's got to where the hardest part of bull hunting is getting the tag. We'd rather hunt cows than miss out on getting a tag so that's what we've been hunting for the last 5 years. We can get a tag OTC any time and have very high odds of getting an elk, plus cows are better eating. I guess that's one of the perks of living in a mountain state.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never bothered to learn how to measure and have no idea of what numbers are considered a really good one other than seeing one with WOW value. It's got to where the hardest part of bull hunting is getting the tag. We'd rather hunt cows than miss out on getting a tag so that's what we've been hunting for the last 5 years. We can get a tag OTC any time and have very high odds of getting an elk, plus cows are better eating. I guess that's one of the perks of living in a mountain state.

Right on! As an old timer once told me, "You don't eat horn".

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your experience and insight.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always been a meat hunter since I shot my first elk, a 5x5 bull, when I was in college in the '60s. Over the years I've certainly shot my share of elk all on DIY and most on solo hunts, and most on public land. Hunting pressure on elk and all other animals has tremendously increased in the 55 years that I've been hunting. When shot my first bull I was hunting with one of my college roommates and he wouldn't let me take those horns in his car with us back to college. I had to wait until his parents would bring them in their pickup when they came to visit him. Back then a lot of meat hunters just left the antlers in the woods.

I am continually amazed that people will pay $20-30k for an elk hunt, but that pretty much guarantees them the inches that they want. There are still 300+ inch and even B&C bulls on public land, but they are not easy to find. I have two friends that each shot a B&C bull in the last few years, but they were in a limited draw unit and may have been on private land that they have leased.

I think that I have only shot two bulls over 300", one netted 330" and the other gross scored 375". I shot both of them in Wilderness Areas back when I had horses. I eventually had both of them mounted. They were also the first bulls that I saw those years. Here's my 375" bull...

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going from memory, but I think success on bulls in Oregon runs at about the 15% rate. Averaged, that would be a bull about 1 out of every 6 seasons. I've often passed on branched head gear in Id and Wy, but here I'll drop the first antler spotted. As to serious Booner's, those have to carry some age, and are as rare as hen's teeth. I acquired preference points here for years and eventually drew for one of our two trophy units. Guide said we could be picky, and I'd probably be done in 3 days. Eleven days into the six day hunt I eventually pulled the trigger. A nice six by slightly better than 4 others I have on the wall, but not the trophy I was hoping for. Still though, I've never put a tape to any of the animals take.

I've had a couple seasons where the goal was trophy specific. Always ended with tag soup. Across all of my seasons, I think I've seen three bulls that would have been Booners. Closest was probably 400 yds in a screaming wind blizzard. Might have been able to hit him, but I had no idea where. Passed and took a closer 6 by that was about 150 yds out. Like several have mentioned above, it's getting to where a framed and valid tag is the real trophy.

Now if I would just follow my wife and her cameras around, I'd maybe do a bit better. She scores all kinds of trophies. I have nothing on the wall that even approaches her images.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/26/21.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the biggest antlers in Idaho will be found in the range of hills along the NV border. It's easy hunting and very limited tags. The odds of drawing a bull tag there are very small, like 1 in 20 or worse. Cow tags in that area are much easier to get. In fact, in some areas, there are cow tags left over. The cow hunts are late season and if it rains out there, look out. Those roads can get treacherous.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck: Yes. A distant acquaintance drew a northern Nev tag and hunted those small isolated mts that dot the region. Got an extremely fine bull, showed it off at every gas/eat/drink/stop on the way home and online too. They also noted that no one at all got in the way of their doings. Got home and found in some follow up readings that they'd been out a week before the opener. Turned themselves in and a judge was going to shove the whole book down their throat. The Nev Game and Fish boys though pointed out the self incrimination/sacrifice and suggested lighter doings. Had to forfeit the elk and pay an out of season fine. Will likely need another lifetime before drawing another tag though.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of folks tend to overestimate size when it comes to elk, and a few more things. If I kill one I want to measure, I can do it myself, but I can also “proof” my score with a certified B&C scorer/regional biologist in my Sunday School class. It really IS about the hunt when you get down to it.

My favorite story is an acquaintance who was bragging about his 360” bull of a lifetime. He got quite indignant when another elk hunting buddy and I both said “hmm…..320, maybe 325” He was furious. His manhood had been questioned! My B&C scorer buddy later measured him @ 324”.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Every year, I tell myself I’m going to hold out for a big one. Then I see a legal bull and it feels like it might be the last chance I’ll ever get to shoot an elk. 😁

Stuck this one Friday night, DIY, public ground, and by myself. 12 yard shot.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any elk with a bow is a good elk. Congratulations.

Just got done help a friend with his Black Hills archery elk tag, which is an exceptional elk area. He hunts with a longbow which ups the challenge even more. Was only able to hunt with him 4 days, and in those four days we had 4 bulls, 2 cows, and 3 calves within 20 yards.

The biggest bull we called in was a bonafide 300+. He never came closer than 40 yards.

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
on a guided hunt with a bow i shot a bull that scores 374 B.C. typical that hunt cost me $5000.00 cash 10 years ago ,my son`s biggest bow killed bull elk on public land is bigger than my bull around 380 B.C his bull will score. i called that bull in for him we had no ideal this bull was that big or that it had such perfect big antlers with white tips, we were very lucky , we are just average bowhunters my son is a very good archer and dang lucky too. good luck ,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 09/27/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 300 inch bull is a good solid 6 point or huge 5 point. Most will look at 300" bull and go wow. Most experienced hunters go wow at a 320 or 330 bull. When they get over that there is no doubt they are giants. Around here (north of the freeway) they have weak 3'rds that really kill the score. The South of the freeway bulls that RockChuck talks about have different genetics and are bigger in general, but a young guy could die of old age before drawing on a hunt with drawing odds of 1 to 2%.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
A 300 inch bull is a good solid 6 point or huge 5 point. Most will look at 300" bull and go wow. Most experienced hunters go wow at a 320 or 330 bull. When they get over that there is no doubt they are giants. Around here (north of the freeway) they have weak 3'rds that really kill the score. The South of the freeway bulls that RockChuck talks about have different genetics and are bigger in general, but a young guy could die of old age before drawing on a hunt with drawing odds of 1 to 2%.
A while back I posted this photo that I took some years ago in Shoshone Basin, east of Salmon Dam. These guys were satellite bulls. Up the hill behind them was the herd of about 20 cows and the biggest bull I've ever seen. I never got a good look at his antlers in the brush but he could have been a 7x7 or larger. He was phenomenal. I didn't have a tag or that front one might have been in the bag. I think I could have easily got within bow range.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I’ve heard the weak third deal about so many areas. And I’ve seen a lot of bulls with weak thirds. I’m starting to think that thirds are just hard for most bulls to grow no matter where they are.

But to score really well they have to have good everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there are some areas with awesome genetics for thirds.....but they do seem to be weak more often than other points from my observations.

Here's a 275" (I believe....it has been a while) western Wyoming bull with good (albeit, uneven) thirds. I have to wonder what they would have looked like if he were a few years older...

Back to the OP....here's a pic of a bunch of what I consider "good" bulls for a fairly experienced hunter to get into on a general season/public land hunt. The 2 biggest ones near the center are well south of 300" I believe.

Another view of the big bull in the post I made on this thread earlier. This is a top tier bull IMO but isn't much more than 350" I wouldn't think. The do get bigger even on public land open hunts but they're not common and are incredibly tough to kill. I sure as hell have never killed one close to this size. They need age, genetics and nutrition. I am convinced folks that consistently kill bulls like him often put 10X the scouting time in and 20X the overall effort of the average experienced elk hunter.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
several years ago an uncle of mine went to a "elk hunting Seminar" that was held at one of the sportsman shows. He told me that the very first thing the host of the seminar asked was "of this group, how many of you have killed an elk? Stand up." My uncle said quite a large bunch stood up. Then the guy said, "OK of those of you standing, how many have killed a 6x6 bull elk? stay standing and the rest sit back down." My uncle said very few people stayed standing.

My point is that very few elk hunters ever even kill a 6x6, let alone a big one.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A lot of good points being made here, and some mighty fine bulls being shown. Congrats to all who have made it happen, and best of luck to those still trying. smile

Never had my 6x6 Wyoming bull officially measured. My unskilled attempts at measuring come in around 330 or so. He's got about a 50" spread. I thought he was one heck of a bull until I got to the taxidermist. He congratulated me, then picked up the rack and set it down inside the rack of a 7x7 that had been killed by some bowhunter! That was an education. I'm a tad over 6' tall and about 200 - 210 pounds in those photos.

These days I'd just as soon hunt cow elk. Tags are easier. They taste great. There's not much room on the walls here at home, but there's usually room in the freezer:

Oh, here's a nice bull I found while "hunting" with my camera. I think they'd have had a fit if I shot him there in Yellowstone.... I don't know what he scores, but I'd be very happy with him:

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm with RockChuck on this one. I grew up and live in great elk country and have them in my backyard almost daily. Got 4 nice ones hanging on the wall, one a shoulder mount and the others just antler mounts, three are 6x6 and one a 7x7, one is archery and the other rifle. Shot many smaller ones also. My 2 sons have taken elk bigger than mine and same thing, nobody pulls out a tape measure.

I've never put a tape to any elk or deer I've shot, wouldn't even know how to do the scoring thing anyway.

Heres a guy that was in my pasture a few weeks ago. He's a goodone.

This pic is at my water trough.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is bull I got in Unit 201 in CO.The brisket is 23 inches from the floor and the antlers 1/2 from 8 ft ceiling.

The bull on the left is just barely a 6X but it was a big bodied Alberta bull.There is another on the same wall, out of the photo of the same size.Might go 300,but probably more like280

The antlers on the right are my first elk taken in 1965 or, 1966

My last full 6x antlers are down in the barn rafters takenin2018.I quit hunting bulls after that. A solo hunt at 12,000 feet, processing, loading it on the pack mule was all wanted to do being 76 years old.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/28/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most guys who shoot big bulls do it because they have been hunting elk a long time and know what to do for the opportunities on the big bulls. Very few really big bulls are killed by chance, though it does happen, even on public land.

In my book any elk is a trophy. You usually have to work hard for them, get into their territory, make a good shot with a bow or a rifle, then get several hundred pounds of animal to your truck, camp, and to the cooler eventually...

Since this would be your first hunt, set your sights a lot lower and enjoy the experience and learn a few things about elk hunting. After a few trips you may get lucky or learn enough to find a big bull and have a tag in your pocket at the same time... I've seen very big bulls on public land that I'm pretty sure would go around 400, but always had a spike tag or cow tag in my pocket, so had to just watch them walk away... my son and I saw a huge bull elk a couple years ago while deer hunting. We were driving to an area to hunt after our morning hunt and a huge bull walked across a meadow about 50-60 yards from us like he owned the place. If there was a 400+ bull elk in that unit (and there are) this was one... he must have known it was deer season and he was also in the rut because he was in no hurry to prance across that meadow. It took me an awful lot of years hunting in some very rough country to get my first decent 6 x 6 elk and I think he would score around 300, but I've never measured him.... I was more than tickled to get him and relive the hunt every time I see him on the wall...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The reality of “trophy elk” is that a DIY hunt on public land with close friends or family makes any bull a trophy. A giant 350+ bull might be a trophy but it completely depends upon the circumstances of the hunt as to whether it’s actually a trophy or not. I’ve seen some real monsters while hunting both public and private land but because of the restrictions on big bulls here they were off limits. Oftentimes the real trophy is the tag itself, killing the big bull is the easy part.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve arrowed five of them, killed two with a rifle.
Have no idea what they score, and don’t plan on scoring them. I just don’t get all wound up about scores/inches, whether elk, whitetails or other animals.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A while back I posted this photo that I took some years ago in Shoshone Basin, east of Salmon Dam. These guys were satellite bulls. Up the hill behind them was the herd of about 20 cows and the biggest bull I've ever seen. I never got a good look at his antlers in the brush but he could have been a 7x7 or larger. He was phenomenal. I didn't have a tag or that front one might have been in the bag. I think I could have easily got within bow range.

I think any elk south of the freeway needs to be called something different. They are not the same critters as north of the freeway! lol The horrendous drawing odds up south make it pretty certain all I will ever do is look at them. I suppose if you have an extra $10K to burn, you can buy a landowner tag......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve arrowed five of them, killed two with a rifle.
Have no idea what they score, and don’t plan on scoring them. I just don’t get all wound up about scores/inches, whether elk, whitetails or other animals.

10 with a bow, 6 with a rifle, only 2 over 300" - they all look good in the freezer though!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have hunted the same Colorado unit for the last 7 years during archery season. Sometimes we go early and sometimes during the rut. I’ve killed 1 cow in 7 years and only seen at a distance 3 legal bulls on public land in 7 years. I don’t bother buying the more expensive bull tag anymore, in fact we just got home from a 6 day hunt and I never saw an elk on public land at all. I saw multiple hunters every day and covered 7-8 miles on foot glassing every day. It’s tough and any elk is a trophy especially with archery equipment on public land, it’s all about the experience! Go and start learning an area that looks good to you and don’t pass up anything legal.

Wac em and stack em
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I have hunted the same Colorado unit for the last 7 years during archery season. Sometimes we go early and sometimes during the rut. I’ve killed 1 cow in 7 years and only seen at a distance 3 legal bulls on public land in 7 years. I don’t bother buying the more expensive bull tag anymore, in fact we just got home from a 6 day hunt and I never saw an elk on public land at all. I saw multiple hunters every day and covered 7-8 miles on foot glassing every day. It’s tough and any elk is a trophy especially with archery equipment on public land, it’s all about the experience! Go and start learning an area that looks good to you and don’t pass up anything legal.
I would have switched areas 5 years ago. Why are you returning to an area with no elk?

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ooof, I agree with you RockChuck. Don't go back there.

To the OP: Generally, very generally, speaking, a six point bull, like a five point whitetail is a mature animal and is somewhat of a trophy in and of itself.

If you want to divine the line between animals in that same class, then be my guest.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is my biggest of ten bulls or so, with a friend (I don’t know where the pic of me with this bull went). I have never been interested in inches but am told its in the 330’s to 340’s class. It was taken in north central Co on a late season hunt. It fell about 25 feet at the shot and broke that one right point off in the process.

Elk are wonderful animals and the meat is delicious. At this point, if I go again, I’ll get a cow tag and will be just as happy as if it was a 350 bull. On my public land hunts, I always took the first legal animal I had a reasonable chance at and considered it a trophy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A super nice elk George.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only elk hunters will know a 300, 320 or 340 bull, but everyone can count to 6.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

This is my biggest of ten bulls or so, with a friend (I don’t know where the pic of me with this bull went). I have never been interested in inches but am told its in the 330’s to 340’s class. It was taken in north central Co on a late season hunt. It fell about 25 feet at the shot and broke that one right point off in the process.

Elk are wonderful animals and the meat is delicious. At this point, if I go again, I’ll get a cow tag and will be just as happy as if it was a 350 bull. On my public land hunts, I always took the first legal animal I had a reasonable chance at and considered it a trophy.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's another solid ~4.5 year old 280-290 class 6x6.

It is a good, respectable bull, but he isn't 330 class.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guide on that outing killed his first Colorado elk at 12 years age and also began guiding hunters then. He grew up in the mountains in the Colorado Springs area and killed his 60 th bull with a friend of mine on the ranch where I shot mine. He has also measured many bulls for others. Interestingly, the day after we had taken my bull in to a game processor in Colorado City, he remarked that he had skipped a tine and needed to measure mine again. I asked him why? I had a great time that week and saw wild elk larger than mine, and then on the last day, I shot it running away at 110 yards with a Texas heart shot! I always wanted a classic 6x6 and the points be damned! More points would not improve my memory of that great week in the Colorado mountains.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
5”, that’s all I need for me to pull the trigger on my annual CO elk hunt. CO requires a 5” brow tine or 4 points on a side, if I see either I’m getting ready to shoot.

OK requires 5 points on one side and I’ll pass a smaller bull and shoot a cow if given the chance. They’re a small herd that’s doing well and my tags are free so I’d rather let the bulls grow if they’re barely legal.

My first bull was also my biggest, an ancient massive gnarled old 7x5 in CO. I doubt if he’ll score 270” but he’s one of my best trophies. My uncle and I killed a pair of old bulls 15 minutes apart while we were hunting together, his was a 6x6. As we started breaking them down word got out amongst our camp via radio and just about everyone showed up to pitch in and help. The grin on my Grandad’s face as his son and grandson came into camp that evening with two big bulls is the best trophy I ever earned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's another solid ~4.5 year old 280-290 class 6x6.

If so, not a problem for me; I’ll take your word for it. I thought perhaps he wasn’t above 300 but as I’ve mentioned, that was never a big motivation for me. He was hard won in poor stalking conditions. This is him now with his prosthesis. 😊

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I might explain myself a bit more. As I mentioned about my elk hunts somewhere here, there have been quite a few of my elk hunts after which I went home without a shot being taken. Some, I never saw an animal, but I would also say none of them were failures. Though I did injure my back some on one, but that’s beside the point.

I take the experience globally; that is, the usually beautiful country elk are in; the camaraderie of good friends; the camp of whatever form it takes. And the rifle and all that that encompasses. And then, of course the elk — seeing them, stalking them, and getting a shot or not. All that adds up to an experience to be enjoyed. If not, don’t even start, because if you count success only as punched tag, you’re in for a lot of failure and disappointments.

Especially as a Midwesterner, who not only doesn’t go every year, but is limited to 5-10 days in the years when I did go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I have very little idea of what that bull would score, and like you, I could care less. Thats a damn nice bull any time, any where.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If so, not a problem for me; I’ll take your word for it. I thought perhaps he wasn’t above 300 but as I’ve mentioned, that was never a big motivation for me. He was hard won in poor stalking conditions. This is him now with his prosthesis. 😊

There is not a damn thing wrong with that, and he's bigger than my biggest bull. I have an Idaho hunt in less than 3 weeks and I'll shoot one just like him without thinking twice.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
OP: other guys have already said it better, but you wanna see an Oregon trophy elk? Ok.. but I'll only show you about 2/3 so you won't get a heart attack:

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Here's a dink I passed on... (nose suddenly growing longer)

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice bull..Congrats.

I think some get hung up on the score and some take the talk of score wrong.

For many, (me) score is just a way of relaying size in conversation. “Big” to some, is small/average to others.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is in no way meant as a knock on your bull, but a lot of guides are the worst at over exaggerating a bulls score.

Would you rather a client/reference say they killed a 280” or a 320”? Inches sale hunts.

My guide on that outing killed his first Colorado elk at 12 years age and also began guiding hunters then. He grew up in the mountains in the Colorado Springs area and killed his 60 th bull with a friend of mine on the ranch where I shot mine. He has also measured many bulls for others. Interestingly, the day after we had taken my bull in to a game processor in Colorado City, he remarked that he had skipped a tine and needed to measure mine again. I asked him why? I had a great time that week and saw wild elk larger than mine, and then on the last day, I shot it running away at 110 yards with a Texas heart shot! I always wanted a classic 6x6 and the points be damned! More points would not improve my memory of that great week in the Colorado mountains.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho isn't quite so picky about antler size. A legal bull is one with at least 1 antler over 6 INCHES. With deer it's 3". They just want you to be sure it's a male.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’m sure there are guides/outfitters that focus on that. I really haven’t run into that and I’ve never been that way myself. I don't even remember who thought this one would be in the low 300’s and it meant nothing to me then and now.

I’ve not measured anything with horn’s or antlers that I’ve taken. Now, weigh the meat? Yes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I worked as an elk guide for quite a while. Still do as a fill in.
For those who know how many bull elk were in on....I have no idea. I don't remember the easier hunts but remember the tough ones pretty well.
I really recall the good hunts with a good dude hunter when we liked one another. 10 days in a spike camp will make this clear to you.
This isn't a numbers game, it is about making memories. These memories are with you forever.
A good hunting camp makes memories, imo

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my best bull.

He was taken after 18 days of hunting in 2015, but over 20 years of pursuing elk with a traditional bows and rifles over 5 different states.

Y'all can guess the score if you want, But he was measured by an ex P&Y scorer. It is not an official score, as I would never enter anything in a "book"

Last edited by CRS; 09/28/21.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heres my best ....we actually DID measure him simply because so many people asked...307, and a 5 point at that!

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
5x6? Beautiful symmetry regardless

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
CRS
THAT is a trophy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys that base their elk hunting on inches of horn don’t know (and probably can never know) anything about what I consider to be real elk hunting…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys that base their elk hunting on inches of horn don’t know (and probably can never know) anything about what I consider to be real elk hunting…

I agree 100%, I have told many people that any elk is a good elk. Any elk with a bow is a trophy, and done with traditional archery equipment makes it even more special.

I have logged more miles and vertical feet on my boots hunting elk, than any other species.

Arcus Venator
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would shoot any bull shown on this thread and go home a happy man.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
All my bulls get measured.....adds to the description of what they are. 6x5, 32" wide, 285" or 7x7, 51" wide, 343". Helps paint a picture. Putting one "in the book", does nothing for me.

I've killed 3 bulls over 300, in 35 years.....biggest being the 343"/7x7 mentioned above. All public land hunts.

When I draw a trophy unit, I trophy hunt (and no, I don't shoot on the 1st day, what I would kill on the last day). I have my minimum set, and am prepared to eat the tag. All though, something close to the minimum, on the last day, will probably be in trouble! I've turned down many more 6x6 bulls, than I've killed, in my life.

OTC tags, first legal bull gets shot.

Cow tag, looking for a medium sized/low stressed cow....like I killed last Sunday.

I typically meat hunt in my home state, and save the trophy hunts for hard to draw/high quality, out of state hunts.

Andy3

PS: Remember 300" is 3/4 of the way to 400"!!! grin

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[ I don't shoot on the 1st day, what I would kill on the last day]

That saying is for the guys who define hunt success by punching a tag.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longarm
CRS
THAT is a trophy

Thank you, culmination of a lot of years chasing elk.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Andy3
All my bulls get measured.....adds to the description of what they are. 6x5, 32" wide, 285" or 7x7, 51" wide, 343". Helps paint a picture. Putting one "in the book", does nothing for me.

I've killed 3 bulls over 300, in 35 years.....biggest being the 343"/7x7 mentioned above. All public land hunts.

When I draw a trophy unit, I trophy hunt (and no, I don't shoot on the 1st day, what I would kill on the last day). I have my minimum set, and am prepared to eat the tag. All though, something close to the minimum, on the last day, will probably be in trouble! I've turned down many more 6x6 bulls, than I've killed, in my life.

OTC tags, first legal bull gets shot.

Cow tag, looking for a medium sized/low stressed cow....like I killed last Sunday.

I typically meat hunt in my home state, and save the trophy hunts for hard to draw/high quality, out of state hunts.

Andy3

PS: Remember 300" is 3/4 of the way to 400"!!! grin

This^^^

Good post!

I would add, pretty much any elk is a trophy, especially a public land elk.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 09/30/21.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Only elk hunters will know a 300, 320 or 340 bull, but everyone can count to 6.

I love it!……👍

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best bow kill. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Best gun kill
Ugliest bull (gun)

Last edited by roundoak; 09/30/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome, congratulations.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My buddy killed this one a few years ago on a high pressure public land unit. It ain't a 290.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, we can call that one a trophy!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was practicing with my recurve many,many moons ago.

My wife axed me to move my rig as the horse trailer was some distance directly behind the arrow target.

Well I didn’t move it, and I did shoot completely over the target.

I harvested a 235/85 R16 that day!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Angus1895

My wife axed me to move my rig as the horse trailer was some distance directly behind the arrow target.

that tire with the arrow will haunt you forever wives have a tendency to remind us.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Maybe deserves a place in the record book.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Any bull over 270 I think is a decent bull. Id probably hold out for 300 or more on a good private land hunt. Ive taken 3 bulls over 300 and still very happy shooting a cow or rag horn. Ill take the first good legal animal. All about the meat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife axed me

If my wife ever axes me and I live, she will be going to jail.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeppers the tire deal should be in the book of bone headed deals I have pulled, problem it would be a very big book.

I think the easiest way to see if a bull ( six point) is legit is to look at the back two tines. If they spread out bigger than your palms joined together spread apart by at least double then it’s a good six point. Really good ones have whale tales in the back.

When they are blowing snot on my punk azz screaming around they all look like a trophy to me.

Rifle hunting makes it easier to “score” the beast.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/02/21.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every elk is a good elk, regardless of how it’s killed...

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
300 is the magic number for me, and it’s a lot bigger than almost anyone thinks.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This^^^^ Especially on public land in states with OTC tags.....

I am basically an "any elk is a good elk" hunter anymore, but have been lucky enough to kill a few 6x6s in places from Arizona to British Columbia.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The only way to kill big bulls is to be willing to let mediocre walk...something I am not prepared to do at this point in my life. Deer, yes...Elk, no.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MedRiver
The only way to kill big bulls is to be willing to let mediocre walk...something I am not prepared to do at this point in my life. Deer, yes...Elk, no.

Another way of saying “I don’t kill any elk at all.”

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Here is my best bull.

He was taken after 18 days of hunting in 2015, but over 20 years of pursuing elk with a traditional bows and rifles over 5 different states.

Y'all can guess the score if you want, But he was measured by an ex P&Y scorer. It is not an official score, as I would never enter anything in a "book"

I'm guessing 320-330. Have a very similar one that I think the taxidermist said 330 (really tall and wide). Not sure if that was a guess by the taxidermist or if he measured. I've never put a tape on anything I've shot.

Really nice elk. Especially for a bow kill.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/05/21.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spot on 324 and change, not that numbers made that hunt. Having my 17yo son right behind me when I shot was the true trophy experience.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This isn't anyone's biggest but it's one of the weirdest. His whole skull was deformed. He looked like he'd been butting heads with a truck.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.