Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking to get a sanity check on how I had my custom knob cut.
My rangefinder is built into my Leica Geovid binocular, and it has a feature called Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHR). This feature displays the precise laser slant range to the target, but then displays a second range, which is the slant range, corrected not only for the angle above or below horizontal, but also converted from the current elevation temperature and pressure to Sea Level, 68 degrees F, and 1013 mbar (which converts to 29.914...mighty close to 29.92 in hg).
I had my custom dial cut for the EHR parameters (Sea Level, 68F, 1013 mbar), and plan to just dial to the Leica's displayed EHR when shooting beyond the point blank range of my zero. I hunt at lots of different elevations in different western states, and want to just keep it simple this way. I'm not planning on shooting beyond 550 yards with this rig, to insure good bullet terminal performance.

Is this a good plan?

Thanks,
Rex

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When you hunt it is 68 degrees F? Use your rangefinder with the angle comp on. Dial accordingly. Practice and confirm your dope is correct for the conditions you will be hunting in. Generally when I'm hunting, its not anywhere near 68 degrees. Nor do I want it to be. Back to the angle comp feature. It is a great option to have. My cheap azzed Nikon 1000 has it and it works very well. That will give you the true distance you will have to dial for. Hopefully that makes sense. An example: The last longrange buck I took ranged at 648 yards compensated distance, since I was shooting downhill, the range finder gave me the correct distance to dial for. The actual distance was around 700 yards with angle comp turned off. When hunting and shooting at extreme downhill or uphill situations, always run with your angle comp on. I'd also check ballistic calculators and see what the difference is for drop when the temperatures are below your proposed 68 degrees and the elevation is closer to where you will be hunting. If I were hunting in different western states, as you say you do, I would have had the dial cut for a lot higher elevation too. Probably something closer to 2,000' above sea level. Do you do your hunting at sea level and 68 degrees?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the response and advice, bsa1917hunter, but I think you have misunderstood what the EHR feature does. It is designed to compensate for the very large variations in temp, elevation, etc. we hunt in, by converting all measured ranges under all conditions to a shorter range (well, almost always shorter) for a single set of conditions. Say for instance, the temp is 27F, the elevation is 5600' MSL, the shot is 7 degrees downhill, the pressure is whatever it is, and the raw slant range to the target is 396 yards. The rangefinder shows you the 396, then shows you a second number that is not only shortened for the 7 degree downward angle, but also shortened to a value that is converted to sea level and 68F. In this case it might show 350 yards as the EHR (and this is just a made up number - I did not do the math).The whole purpose is to allow the shooter to only have to have a dope card for one set of conditions - seal level, 1013 mbar and 68F. The EHR output is a "shoot to" range that you would use the dope off the sea level card for - you use hold-over and drift that would be right at 350 yards at sea level, 1013 mbar, 68F and a level shot. And this hold-over and drift offset is the same as it would be at 27F, 5600' MSL, and 7 degrees downhill and 396 yards.
I hope this makes more sense than my first description.
All I did was have a dial cut to the EHR parameters so that I could just dial to the EHR output from the rangefinder. Just wondering if anybody else had done it this way.

Just found this
EHR discussed on LRH forum
- looks like I have it right. The only thing is the owner's manual that came with my bino says 68F, not 59F, so that's what I had my dial cut for.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EHR is Gravity(horizontal distance),not Line Of Sight and boolits simply adhere to Gravity. Hint.

BDC Dials are simply Fhuqking STUPID,for a jazillion reasons. Hint.

Sounds like yet another Reupold Goat Fhuqk. When your turret,erector and reticle all speak in different languages,it is just as fhuqking STUPID as schit sounds. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^what he said

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.